Author Topic: We Do Not Want Demarcus Cousins  (Read 9357 times)

Re: We Do Not Want Demarcus Cousins
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2012, 02:57:05 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
60uote author=JHTruth link=topic=61314.msg1363324#msg1363324 date=1356982194]
DMC reminds me of a less competitive Antoine Walker. Jump shooting big, not a rim-protecting C. He would help but he's not in the same league as the top bigs in this league at this point
[/quote]

Im fairly confident dmc led the league at shots at the rim last year

« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2012, 02:57:32 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
I usually like to stay far, far away from headcases.  However, these are desperate times.

I just don't think we can handle him either. The guy is fighting with Clifford Ray for the love of God. CLIFF RAY. The guy is going to respect KG? You mean the same guy that pushed KG into the stands and got into a fight with Rondo? Face it, this guy has serious problems. I would offer MAYBE Sully and that's about it

« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2012, 02:59:26 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
he team was surprised when Cousins showed up for practice on Christmas Eve, thinking the suspension was indefinite. Upon his arrival, "the Christmas spirit was gone," said the league source who is familiar with the Kings. And there was not much sympathy for him afterward when Cousins tried to apologize.
"When he apologized to the team, two players stood up and said 'we've heard this bull(bleep) before,'" the source said. "'You're either going to be with us, or you're not. We don't want to hear any more excuses."

Total headcase

link?

http://www.nba.com/2012/news/features/david_aldridge/12/31/morning-tip-top-10-stories-2012/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt6a

Towards the bottom..

« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2012, 03:49:23 PM »

Offline RyNye

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 97
DMC has potential, not proven talent.

He is not a win-now player, he is a project player; high-risk high-reward.

I am not saying that getting Cousins would be a complete mistake, but the people both opposing and championing him seem to drastically misunderstand his game.

What Cousins is good at:
Rebounding (he is a beast on the boards)
Getting to the line (he is really good at drawing fouls, and because he is a decent free throw shooter he tends to generate points from this)

What Cousins is bad at:
Scoring (anyone who looks at his PPG is a fool who doesn't understand the game of basketball. PPG is MEANINGLESS without considering his FGA and FG%. All of his shooting splits are well below the league average, except FT%. He is NOT a good scorer.)
Defense (he gets a lot of steals, but not nearly enough blocks, and he fouls too much)
Passing (WAAAY too many turnovers)

Overall, he is a very inefficient player, and has been the past two seasons. All of his efficiency numbers are below the league average, which is bad. However, the devil is in two things: his shooting and turnovers. Even his defense isn't terrible, it just isn't good.

If DMC cuts down on his turnovers and improves his shot selection, he can be a great player. Definitely All-Star potential. The keyword, though, is POTENTIAL.

If you honestly think that plugging Cousins onto our roster as he is playing now will do anything but hurt us, I am sorry but you simply do not understand anything about the sport of basketball. The stats AND the eye test AND the general consensus of sports reporters agree on this point; Cousins has potential but isn't there yet.

Now, that leaves us with two scenarios:

Cousins comes to our team, refuses to improve, continues to be a head case, and we get nowhere.

Cousins comes to our team, changes his game/mindset (a la Blatche in Brooklyn this season), and we get an All-Star caliber big man.

So, as I said, this is high-risk, high-reward. This is not a win-now trade, this is not a safe trade. This would be a project. I just wish people would understand that. Thinking that it will be one extreme or the other as everyone who has posted in this thread seems to is foolish, and belies a complete misunderstanding of the way the sport works.

« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2012, 03:57:33 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
We are in the worst shape we've been in in decades and "headcase" is the only reason people are objecting going after a very talented big?  "WE" must be out of our minds then.

"WE" need all the help we can t right now...

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2012, 04:08:00 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I'm becoming more open to the idea of acquiring Cousins, but would not want to part with Bradley to do so.  He would be a good candidate to mimic the trash talk, attitude, and swagger of guys like Garnett and Pierce that causes fans of other teams to really hate the Celtics.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2012, 04:25:02 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Im not sure that some people that posted actually watched the game last night.

The guy droped a triple double on us. I didn't see him take a lot of out side shots like some people were talking about. Mostly taking it to the hoop. Still didnt shoot well, but he did get to the line.

He also made some really nice passes, and that steel was nice. It was like some one (Rondo) told him how to play.

Id rather have Cousins now than in two years when KG and PP arent here. Will he listen to then? Not sure, but you know KG wont take any crap from him. And to think if he does listen, what KG could do for him.

I think if he came to Boston his shooting would go up. For one thing he posts up near the  point line and then takes it in. I think that would stop and rondo or KG would get him the ball on the block. Rondo would also dictate what shots he got. There would be less jump shots, and maybe more rolling to the hoop like he does with KG.

I think the Cs need to take a shot. I know people say we need to build threw the draft, but how painful would that be, and your talking doing that in about  years and finaly having peices to be good Rondo will be in his 's by that point. And thats if he stays around for a rebuild.

« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2012, 04:33:14 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
fun thread.  Let's post more threads about all the players we can't trade for and pretend we don't want them.  It's like pretending you aren't interested in the girl you could never get with. Like being the pimple-faced captain of the chess club and telling your nerdy friends you wouldn't hook up with the head Cheerleader/prom queen, because she's too ugly for you.  Your nerdy pimple faced friends are gonna be like, "Yeah!  Me neither!! She's way too ugly!"

FYI.... We Do Not Want LeBron James or Kevin Durant.  This is fun.

Danny was successful in trading for KG in mid-2007, so I think it's reasonably possible that he could successfully trade for DMC in the present circumstances, especially given that there appears to be some chaos in the Kings front office at the moment.
We had more to give up back then for KG, though.  All Jefferson was widely seen as having all-star potential... and he came pretty close to reaching that potential. 

As much as we want to pretend... there is nobody on this team with allstar potential.  No, not even Bradley and SUlly.  At most they will be big time starters.  Bradley is no more likely to become an allstar than Gerald Green was.. one of the players we included with Big Al to land KG.  There's no Big Al on this team to land a star.

Also... KG was 32 years old after having come into the league at age 19... Despite being a vastly superior talent to Cousins, his age was a considerable factor. 

« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2012, 04:39:18 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja
DMC has potential, not proven talent.

He is not a win-now player, he is a project player; high-risk high-reward.

I am not saying that getting Cousins would be a complete mistake, but the people both opposing and championing him seem to drastically misunderstand his game.

What Cousins is good at:
Rebounding (he is a beast on the boards)
Getting to the line (he is really good at drawing fouls, and because he is a decent free throw shooter he tends to generate points from this)

What Cousins is bad at:
Scoring (anyone who looks at his PPG is a fool who doesn't understand the game of basketball. PPG is MEANINGLESS without considering his FGA and FG%. All of his shooting splits are well below the league average, except FT%. He is NOT a good scorer.)
Defense (he gets a lot of steals, but not nearly enough blocks, and he fouls too much)
Passing (WAAAY too many turnovers)

Overall, he is a very inefficient player, and has been the past two seasons. All of his efficiency numbers are below the league average, which is bad. However, the devil is in two things: his shooting and turnovers. Even his defense isn't terrible, it just isn't good.

If DMC cuts down on his turnovers and improves his shot selection, he can be a great player. Definitely All-Star potential. The keyword, though, is POTENTIAL.

If you honestly think that plugging Cousins onto our roster as he is playing now will do anything but hurt us, I am sorry but you simply do not understand anything about the sport of basketball. The stats AND the eye test AND the general consensus of sports reporters agree on this point; Cousins has potential but isn't there yet.

Now, that leaves us with two scenarios:

Cousins comes to our team, refuses to improve, continues to be a head case, and we get nowhere.

Cousins comes to our team, changes his game/mindset (a la Blatche in Brooklyn this season), and we get an All-Star caliber big man.

So, as I said, this is high-risk, high-reward. This is not a win-now trade, this is not a safe trade. This would be a project. I just wish people would understand that. Thinking that it will be one extreme or the other as everyone who has posted in this thread seems to is foolish, and belies a complete misunderstanding of the way the sport works.

this is an outstanding post that is thoughtful, insightful, informed, and supported.

thank you and here is a brand new and shiny tp to you for christmas and the new year.  :D

you basic point is right on. cousins is unknown in term of his ability to play for the team. his physical abilities are there, but he makes a number of poor decisions.

will he be willing to accept coaching and guidance from doc and teammates? no one knows. maybe not even cousins at this stage.

i can see why ainge wants cousins, his physical abilities are undeniable. huge risk, huge upside and equally evil downside.

i guess this is why ainge is paid to be gm and not CB posters.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2012, 04:52:32 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Quote from: RyNye
If you honestly think that plugging Cousins onto our roster as he is playing now will do anything but hurt us, I am sorry but you simply do not understand anything about the sport of basketball.

I'm not sure that this is true.  To make us better, he just needs to be better currently than Brandon Bass or Jason Collins.  I'd say he passes that meager hurdle quite easily.

Also, Cousins has been playing excellent man-to-man post defense this year.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 05:44:25 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2012, 05:15:27 PM »

Offline Bombastic Jones

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 53
If the Celts are involved in the Cousins trade I hope it is as a third team to somehow grab Kaman and Marion from the Mavs.  Overall, I still pine for Gortat.

« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2012, 05:30:19 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Don't think the Kings move him unless he has another episode before the deadline.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2012, 05:40:41 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja
If you honestly think that plugging Cousins onto our roster as he is playing now will do anything but hurt us, I am sorry but you simply do not understand anything about the sport of basketball.

I'm not sure that this is true.  To make us better, he just needs to be better currently than Brandon Bass or Jason Collins.  I'd say he passes that meager hurdle quite easily.

Also, Cousins has been playing excellent man-to-man post defense this year.

hey! that quote was from RyNye, not me.  :(
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2012, 07:04:13 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Please all Celtic Fans. Get a hold of yourselves. Take a couple of **** and chase them with a a crown & 7up and make it a double !!! I've seen panic before (by me and other Celtic lovers) but this takes the prize.

Cousins is very talented - no question. plus, he's a center, which we are in desperate need of. HOWEVER, he is a complete head-case and will be a destructive cancer wherever he plays. he is self-centered, as immature as i've seen in the NBA and has a temper fuse that makes Rasheed Wallace look like Ghandi. he is constantly at odds with his coach and the longer things go smoothly for him, it's as if he can't handle the pressure and feels compelled to blow it up.

most of all, Demarcus Cousins is not a Celtic !!!!

Do me a favor. Like another poster mentioned, you should change this title to "I Don't Want Demarcus Cousins." You do not speak for me in anyway and it doesn't look like you speak for alot of people.

« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2012, 07:09:42 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
i actually like the fact that he's a headcase. It means he's tough as nails.
Tough as nails? Definitely not.

I would take a risk on the guy, but he seems a bit weak minded to me. There is a difference between guys who are determined and guys who lose composure because they are erratic. Cousins has mostly shown immaturity, not drive.

Noah was an example of a guy who got into trouble early in his career because he was a determined winner on a losing team. There is a big difference. He went off on teammates who didn't take the game seriously. He didn't get in trouble for just being generally difficult to coach.

Totally disagree with this. How do you know that the coach wasn't at fault for Cousins telling him off? It bothers me when general conclusions are drawn in a conflict between a player and his coach and/or teammates.  Since when is it safe to assume it's always the player's fault??? It's not. I like Cousins and like the edge he plays with.