Author Topic: Darko (merged)  (Read 4886 times)

Re: Darko......
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2012, 09:32:15 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
You guys sound like Washington pols looking to address the deficit: since no individual cuts can balance the budget, why should they bother to make any at all?

Yeah, unless Darko has some deep dark behavioral secret we don't know about, I think Doc should have done more to integrate him into play once he recovered from injury--and kept him in Boston.  He'd be a decent backup center with the toughness, beef and intelligence that we are lacking there.

I think that after those losses, when a thread comes up saying "who still thinks Cs should have run him out of town like we did?" it seems like the thread is saying things would be different with Darko.

Atleast that's how it comes off to me.

I think things could be different with Darko here. I'm not trying to make him out to be anything even approaching an All-Star, but having a massive, defensively competent 7-footer with decent mobility and the capability of blocking some shots and grabbing a few boards? That would be a gigantic improvement over our current backup C situation.

Maybe Darko wasn't "run out of town"—maybe he would've left for home regardless of how much or how well he was playing—but the important takeaway here is that Doc wasn't going to play him. Period. And that's a shame.

I like Doc, but I think he needs to realize a few things:

1) Small ball works for the Heat because they have LeBron. We don't have LeBron, so it won't work for us.

2) If you're going to even attempt small ball, you've got to push the tempo, not play halfcourt basketball.

3) Size still matters in the NBA, as evidenced by the list of recent NBA champs not named the Heat.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2012, 09:35:46 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
You guys sound like Washington pols looking to address the deficit: since no individual cuts can balance the budget, why should they bother to make any at all?

Yeah, unless Darko has some deep dark behavioral secret we don't know about, I think Doc should have done more to integrate him into play once he recovered from injury--and kept him in Boston.  He'd be a decent backup center with the toughness, beef and intelligence that we are lacking there.

I think that after those losses, when a thread comes up saying "who still thinks Cs should have run him out of town like we did?" it seems like the thread is saying things would be different with Darko.

I think things could be different with Darko here. I'm not trying to make him out to be anything even approaching an All-Star, but having a massive, defensively competent 7-footer with decent mobility and the capability of blocking some shots and grabbing a few boards? That would be a gigantic improvement over our current backup C situation.

Maybe Darko wasn't "run out of town"—maybe he would've left for home regardless of how much or how well he was playing—but the important takeaway here is that Doc wasn't going to play him. Period. And that's a shame.

1) Small ball works for the Heat because they have LeBron. We don't have LeBron, so it won't work for us.

2) If you're going to even attempt small ball, you've got to push the tempo, not play halfcourt basketball.

3) Size still matters in the NBA, as evidenced by the list of recent NBA champs not named the Heat.

Who says; "Doc wasn't going to play him. Period."?  He stuck around for all of--what--fifteen games or so? 

Darko's the one who pulled the plug permanently, not Doc. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2012, 10:52:54 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

Who says; "Doc wasn't going to play him. Period."?  He stuck around for all of--what--fifteen games or so? 

Darko's the one who pulled the plug permanently, not Doc.

That's just my belief, of course, but I think it's a justifiable belief: Collins, for example, didn't play until game 8, then sat out the next five, then saw action in three straight, but then sat out six straight before Doc apparently decided that going big is a good idea and started playing Collins consistently. I suppose that if Darko was still here two weeks ago, when Collins started seeing regular minutes, then maybe Doc would've given Darko a try, but I don't think that's certain.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis