Author Topic: What's wrong with Pierce?  (Read 2900 times)

Re: What's wrong with Pierce?
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2012, 12:11:56 AM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
yup...Pierce and KG just can't put the Celtics on their back and carry the team anymore.   Their best years are behind them.

Going into the season they weren't suppose to. All that help they got in the off-season hasn't been much help at all.

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2012, 12:15:00 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Am I missing something?

He had 20 points tonight, not 8, and didn't get to the line once, though he was clearly fouled multiple times.

Eight-for-fifteen FG and four-of-eight shooting tres.

I think he had a solid impact tonight.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2012, 12:39:56 AM »

Offline alajet

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 54
yup...Pierce and KG just can't put the Celtics on their back and carry the team anymore.   Their best years are behind them.

They can still be impact players as 2 nd string , and really help a team....that has a strong elite core of young starters ...like HOUSTON ...or Memphis...

same for Terry , he can come in for a few minutes, he an't no starter anymore period , but Celtics need to REBUILD the starting line up.

For Rudy Gay, that is debatable, but do you really think Chandler Parsons has surpassed Paul Pierce as a basketball player?
In all honesty, I don't.

I don't really get this fuss with Pierce, either.
He's shooting .428, which isn't that way off his own career mark of .447, and .371 on threes to his .369 average, so, it's not like he's having a monumental collapse by his shot.
His eFG% is down, but that is expectable, since we are running a really ineffective offense, getting stuck between the arc and the paint for the most of the time.
In short, all this Pierce talk comes down to lack of success the team has shown translating into a panic mode overall.

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2012, 12:41:12 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Pierce had a great efficient scoring game tonight going 8 - 15 and 20 points. Too bad he only
Played 25 minutes.

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2012, 12:42:12 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
He's old. He'll look great in stretches and go on long slumps where he looks bad. Bottom line.

He will usually get it together when it matters most though.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2012, 12:59:52 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Old and frustrated.

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2012, 01:25:11 AM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
He's great, but not all the time. Celtics need other players to evolve, not necessarily to being great but at least being consistently good.
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2012, 08:55:34 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Am I missing something?

He had 20 points tonight, not 8, and didn't get to the line once, though he was clearly fouled multiple times.

Eight-for-fifteen FG and four-of-eight shooting tres.

I think he had a solid impact tonight.
There you go again, Bahku.  Trying to confuse everyone with logic!    ;)
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2012, 09:03:55 AM »

Offline Ersatz

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 37
Pierce is first on the team in PER and in Win Shares. He has the team's highest TS%, is second in assist rate, and third in rebound rate. His individual and team defense numbers range from above average to excellent.

Paul Pierce is not the problem.

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2012, 09:23:08 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Yep.  Pierce is still good, he just can't do it every night like he used to.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2012, 09:36:56 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I think he is just forcing the issue. Trying to put the team on his shoulders like the old days. He would better served picking his spots.

It does seem like he is jacking up shots which disrupts the offense. I hate to suggest him coming off the bench, but I feel he would be better in the 2nd unit.
been saying this for awhile, he's a go to guy off the bench would calm the whole offense and is a leader
doesn't mean green is the better player but i think that would make the team better, green on the box against a sf is a legit post player WE DON'T HAVE ANY OTHERS

« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2012, 09:42:25 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Pierce is first on the team in PER and in Win Shares. He has the team's highest TS%, is second in assist rate, and third in rebound rate. His individual and team defense numbers range from above average to excellent.

Paul Pierce is not the problem.

He's not the problem in a five-man sense, but he's no longer transcendent, and with KG's dropoff that means they've no longer got a transcendent player except for that one in a dozen games when Rondo really impresses.

« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2012, 10:42:56 AM »

Offline KevinGamble

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 26
  • MWMWMWMWMWMW

They can still be impact players as 2 nd string , and really help a team....that has a strong elite core of young starters ...like HOUSTON ...or Memphis...

same for Terry , he can come in for a few minutes, he an't no starter anymore period , but Celtics need to REBUILD the starting line up.

For Rudy Gay, that is debatable, but do you really think Chandler Parsons has surpassed Paul Pierce as a basketball player?
In all honesty, I don't.

I don't really get this fuss with Pierce, either.
He's shooting .428, which isn't that way off his own career mark of .447, and .371 on threes to his .369 average, so, it's not like he's having a monumental collapse by his shot.
His eFG% is down, but that is expectable, since we are running a really ineffective offense, getting stuck between the arc and the paint for the most of the time.
In short, all this Pierce talk comes down to lack of success the team has shown translating into a panic mode overall.

I am a huge Paul Pierce fan, but I think part of the fuss is that he is not passing the 'eye ball' test.  We have come to expect to see a master of footwork who occasionally reverts to the bad decision making 'evil-paul' (as he was known in my living room.) 

I think Pierce has improved that decision making a lot over the years, but the mental lapses persist on defense in a big way. 

The shaky-ness we are seeing from his footwork is alarming.  many of those spot up 3 pointers have seriously awkward form. 

His turnover numbers probably resemble career averages, but they are less from deciding to pass while he is already in the air and more from his body not keeping up with his offensive creativity.  Think Scal on that last point.  His body doesn't appear able to pull off the moves he is trying.  I think his minutes are already on the KG diet, and I have to agree. 
"You're skating on pretty thin ice around here, McGee!"
"Sounds like the ice's problem."

2 for the Show!
GO CELTS!

« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2012, 10:52:52 AM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
Yep.  Pierce is still good, he just can't do it every night like he used to.

This is the right answer. You will get 10 or so great games, 20-25 good games, 20-25 meh games, and 10-15 horrid games, or something like that. Because of his age, the Meh and horrid game percentage has increased this year. It happens to all stars. If he was playing 25-28 minutes a game like Garnett, it would cut down on the horrid games, but in my opinion that system is not a good one. The 5-5-5 Garnett system is one of the reasons this team is behind at the end of the first quarter in almost every game. So, we just have to take the good with the bad with the Captain. The only big issue I see with him are his turnovers.

The problem really isn't Pierce, but the fact that most of the players around him are not playing good basketball.

« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2012, 11:07:19 AM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
35 yr old small forward