Author Topic: Royce White has refused to go the D-League  (Read 20379 times)

Re: Royce White has refused to go the D-League
« Reply #60 on: January 02, 2013, 12:21:23 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Guy has issues, needs to face reality.  He's not a child anymore, he's a grown man and this is a career, not high school. At some point you just need to throw common sense into the equation.

If I'm scared of heights, I'm NOT going to apply for a job working on a massive bridge, then tell my employer I can't show up because of my fear of heights and demand them to change their entire work process to accomodate me.  That's not fair for me to expect so I'd just choose another profession, one I can actual work with!

This guy is a fruitcake and makes DeMarcus Cousins look like an accomplished phychologist by comparison.

Wasn't this an already known fact before the draft? The Rockets took responsibility in that one. They drafted him for his basketball talent, knowing the situation.
Actually, I don't think this metaphor fits perfectly. White's basketball has nothing to do with his anxiety. The traveling issues is a part of it, though.

I tend to take the mental illnesses seriously. Cousins is a headache because it's his persona. It has nothing to do with his mental health.

I think the equivalent would be if a bridge builder hired someone who admitted having had a fear of heights, but said he had it in check and expected to be able to work on bridges just fine, thank you.

Then instead of showing up for work on day one, the new employee called in afraid to appear at the bridge site, let alone go up to work on it.

I'd take it that because Houston gave him a guaranteed contract they're in a worse situation than a typical bridge builder.  But could that bridge builder be forced to pay their never-working employee--or at least give him disability pay?
Or maybe the employer promised to do certain things to help the employee cope with this known condition and the employer failed to do everything they promised to do and that is why the employee is having difficulty.

You can't just believe everything Houston is telling the public.  I'm sure they made promises to White that they failed to live up to because I'm sure they didn't believe his condition was as bad as it was.

In the same token, you can't be certain that the Rockets actually broke any promises to help him. So far there is no evidence that they promised certain things and didn't do them.

In that draft day video, White seemed so grateful that the Rockets took a chance on him. Makes you wonder what changed so much since then. He has a serious issue though, and I believe he will never be able to make it through an NBA season. I think he knows this.
He has said they did.  Same evidence you have from the Rockets.

Exactly my point. There is no evidence on either side, so you cannot make a conclusion. The only evidence so far is that White refuses to show up for multiple assignments.
I don't know about multiple.  He didn't report to DLeauge citing medical concerns (maybe the Rockets told him he had to fly immediately, who knows), that is far from multiple.

He missed part of training camp and practices too.

Actually, he missed all of training camp, missed preseason, and missed most practices

http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterockets/2012/10/royce-white-out-tonight-working-though-sticky-situation-to-get-on-the-bus/

the Rockets fined him for missing practices, and for failure to attend sessions with a therapist:

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/20982846/royce-white-being-fined-for-each-missed-practice-game
his version is he worked out a schedule with Houston which it violated. too many people just believing everything Houston says
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #61 on: January 02, 2013, 12:27:49 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Guy has issues, needs to face reality.  He's not a child anymore, he's a grown man and this is a career, not high school. At some point you just need to throw common sense into the equation.

If I'm scared of heights, I'm NOT going to apply for a job working on a massive bridge, then tell my employer I can't show up because of my fear of heights and demand them to change their entire work process to accomodate me.  That's not fair for me to expect so I'd just choose another profession, one I can actual work with!

This guy is a fruitcake and makes DeMarcus Cousins look like an accomplished phychologist by comparison.

Wasn't this an already known fact before the draft? The Rockets took responsibility in that one. They drafted him for his basketball talent, knowing the situation.
Actually, I don't think this metaphor fits perfectly. White's basketball has nothing to do with his anxiety. The traveling issues is a part of it, though.

I tend to take the mental illnesses seriously. Cousins is a headache because it's his persona. It has nothing to do with his mental health.

I think the equivalent would be if a bridge builder hired someone who admitted having had a fear of heights, but said he had it in check and expected to be able to work on bridges just fine, thank you.

Then instead of showing up for work on day one, the new employee called in afraid to appear at the bridge site, let alone go up to work on it.

I'd take it that because Houston gave him a guaranteed contract they're in a worse situation than a typical bridge builder.  But could that bridge builder be forced to pay their never-working employee--or at least give him disability pay?
Or maybe the employer promised to do certain things to help the employee cope with this known condition and the employer failed to do everything they promised to do and that is why the employee is having difficulty.

You can't just believe everything Houston is telling the public.  I'm sure they made promises to White that they failed to live up to because I'm sure they didn't believe his condition was as bad as it was.

In the same token, you can't be certain that the Rockets actually broke any promises to help him. So far there is no evidence that they promised certain things and didn't do them.

In that draft day video, White seemed so grateful that the Rockets took a chance on him. Makes you wonder what changed so much since then. He has a serious issue though, and I believe he will never be able to make it through an NBA season. I think he knows this.

Exactly my point. There is no evidence on either side, so you cannot make a conclusion. The only evidence so far is that White refuses to show up for multiple assignments.
I don't know about multiple.  He didn't report to DLeauge citing medical concerns (maybe the Rockets told him he had to fly immediately, who knows), that is far from multiple.

Actually, he missed all of training camp, missed preseason, and missed most practices

http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterockets/2012/10/royce-white-out-tonight-working-though-sticky-situation-to-get-on-the-bus/

the Rockets fined him for missing practices, and for failure to attend sessions with a therapist:

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/20982846/royce-white-being-fined-for-each-missed-practice-game
his version is he worked out a schedule with Houston which it violated. too many people just believing everything Houston says

what does that even mean? Does he get to dictate when practices or preseason games are scheduled?  I'm not saying I believe one side over the other, just that the only facts so far are that he has missed multiple assignments. 

« Reply #62 on: January 02, 2013, 12:34:08 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

what does that even mean? Does he get to dictate when practices or preseason games are scheduled?  I'm not saying I believe one side over the other, just that the only facts so far are that he has missed multiple assignments.
I'm pretty sure he is implying Houston has renegged on the deal and required him to go to more things at different times, etc. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #63 on: January 02, 2013, 12:47:32 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

I haven't seen anything where White has even implied that.  What he is saying is that Houston isn't agreeing in principle or actuality to agree to what White's preferred doc (his old GP, last I saw) dictates.

« Reply #64 on: January 03, 2013, 09:30:56 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
Looks like we have our answer to the Royce White dilemma, h/t hoopshype:

Miguel Angel Paniagua: Royce White's representatives will start exploring options in Europe next week. His contract would have to include a "no fly" clause. Twitter @pantxopaniagua

Makes sense.  With White's agent part of Andy Miller's agent group, which is the fifth largest in the NBA, the agent's reputation and reliability is more important in the long run than one unproven and problematic player.  Far better for the agent to find some sort of out for Houston than for this to continue.  I don't know that ground travel across Europe will be the answer for White, but some sort of international contract could be.

« Reply #65 on: January 03, 2013, 09:39:36 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Not sure where that Hoopshype thing came from.  White just tweeted that he is not going to Europe, and that he will play for Houston once the situation is resolved.

« Reply #66 on: January 03, 2013, 10:08:05 AM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
I tend to be empathetic, but enough is enough with this White situation.  Maybe if he stopped twittering and just handled the situation privately with the Rockets management, things would work out better for him. 

« Reply #67 on: January 03, 2013, 10:38:31 AM »

Offline mikestar

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 8
I tend to be empathetic, but enough is enough with this White situation.  Maybe if he stopped twittering and just handled the situation privately with the Rockets management, things would work out better for him.

Agree - I don't think the tweets are helping. He made his point about 20 tweets ago.

« Reply #68 on: January 03, 2013, 10:40:52 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Honestly, I think they are trying to make it as public as possible, to make it harder and harder for Houston to void his contract.  At this point, I think their goal is to make Houston pay him to go away, so he can pursue his music/filmaking/whatever he wants career.

« Reply #69 on: January 03, 2013, 01:36:28 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
Not sure where that Hoopshype thing came from.  White just tweeted that he is not going to Europe, and that he will play for Houston once the situation is resolved.

Notably he didn't deny that there was a basis for the tweet--only says that he was going to play in Europe instead of for Houston.  It's not hard to imagine his agent working hard to get to a positive resolution one way or another.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 01:43:05 PM by clover »

« Reply #70 on: January 06, 2013, 11:39:45 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
Brian Mahoney ‏@briancmahoney
Rockets suspend Royce White for refusing to provide services as required by the uniform player contract.
 Retweeted by Paul Flannery

« Reply #71 on: January 06, 2013, 11:41:50 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I hope that means he doesn't get paid

« Reply #72 on: January 06, 2013, 11:43:27 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
Royce White ‏@Highway_30
Threat, Fines, Suspension won't deter me. I won't accept illogical health decisions, I will keep asking for safety & health. #BeWell @dmorey
 Retweeted 56 times

« Reply #73 on: January 06, 2013, 11:44:18 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Do you think the Celts can do the same thing and suspend Jeff Green for not providing services also? I'd rather have Royce White right now. He's not half the head case.

« Reply #74 on: January 06, 2013, 11:51:21 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Do you think the Celts can do the same thing and suspend Jeff Green for not providing services also? I'd rather have Royce White right now. He's not half the head case.
haha!  Tp!