Author Topic: Royce White has refused to go the D-League  (Read 20384 times)

Re: Royce White has refused to go the D-League
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2013, 06:31:34 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
At this point I am starting to wonder if he has gotten any NBA checks yet. Where is this guy's money coming from? What is he doing for a job? Where is he on this planet, what is he doing and how is he doing it?  It makes no sense. Is he getting a check and is just on the injury report?

I think they are legally obligated to pay him. This is in all essence an injury. It's like when a guy has knee surgery the doctors can say at some point, you're ready to play. But here it's much more undefined as to when/how someone with anxiety disorder is ready to play. Unfortunately I believe White is taking full advantage of that.
It's just that he refuses to show up, refuses to do what they tell him, bad mouths them.  I just find this whole thing amazing.  It just seems that Royce thinks a mental illness gives him permission to do or not do whatever he wants. If I'm a judge I'm at least requiring him to do what he did for Iowa State because it is known that he can absolutely do that. I suppose an illness can worsen, but geeze. And Royce is making no statements at all about "This is what ISU did to help me that they didn't do". Instead he's just like "They're mean. I don't have to do anything if I don't want to".   

If I'm the Rockets I'm going to the union, to Stern, to court. I'm documenting the heck out of stuff, and then I'm stopping checks. He can get it back when he shapes up. If this goes well for Royce I could see other players getting various diagnosises as well. PTSD and such.

I agree. He's setting a bad precedence and ruining it for players who actually want to try and play despite having a mental illness. .

It's likely that his behavior is a manifestation of his illness.  Oviously he has to take responsibity (pay the consequences) for his actions, but mental illnes will impact his ability to think rationally. I realize there is temptation to be disappointed in someone who is seemingly unable (at least to this point) to 'manage' his own mental illness, but this is what happens to people who are mentally ill.  It's almost never a road without serious bumps. 

None of us really knows him so it's unfair to make any definitive comment, but if an anxiety disorder is the primary diagnosis and he is dealing with unusually intense stressors at 21 years old,  it shouldn't be too surprising that he is sounding a bit nutty.  Mental illness doesn't go away just because you are motivated to make it go away.  Anxiety disorders do impact thinking and the desperation to avoid stressful circumstances can easily lead to distortions and rationalizations to protect against the anxiety.  Assuming that what we are seeing is a manifestation of his menatl illness, I hope those who care about him are trying to guide him well rather than selfishly increasing his stress by pushing his NBA career above all else.
Kind of interesting that his illness didn't flare up during the draft process and just happened to flare up now that he has been drafted and signed a contract. That's pretty excellent timing on the illness' part. I mean it could have had serious anxiety issues enough to push him to the second round, but somehow things were going fine till he had to do his job. I mean I would think the draft process might cause some serious anxiety. But apparently not.
Actually, He had a very well documented anxiety attack during the draft. He couldnt even see his family and friends right after he was drafted

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRUS6QBiViQ

nice to see that you diss the guy before you even do your research though.
I said the draft process. Not the draft. He sat down with GMs and did fine in interviews, didn't he? He travelled to them I assume. He sat down with people and never mentioned "Hey if I get anxiety severe enough I might miss a quarter of the season or more." He didn't mention that during the draft process, did he? During the draft process there were no hints of an uncontrollable or untreatable illness. It was only after the draft that that happened, right? Perfect timing. I stand by what I said 100%. If you can find me a place where he told teams that realistically he could miss a huge amount of the season and that he would bad mouth them if he didn't think they were making the right accommodations then I will say you are right and I was wrong.
No it was during the draft process.  Teams took him off their draft boards because of it.  You are just wrong here.
teams including the celtics.

« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2013, 08:21:36 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Guy has issues, needs to face reality.  He's not a child anymore, he's a grown man and this is a career, not high school. At some point you just need to throw common sense into the equation.

If I'm scared of heights, I'm NOT going to apply for a job working on a massive bridge, then tell my employer I can't show up because of my fear of heights and demand them to change their entire work process to accomodate me.  That's not fair for me to expect so I'd just choose another profession, one I can actual work with!

This guy is a fruitcake and makes DeMarcus Cousins look like an accomplished phychologist by comparison. 

« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2013, 08:36:53 AM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
Could the Rockets go to the NBA brass and say that they have to let the kid go and that if he ever decides to try the NBA again, they can renegotiate?
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2013, 09:34:32 AM »

Offline alajet

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 54
Guy has issues, needs to face reality.  He's not a child anymore, he's a grown man and this is a career, not high school. At some point you just need to throw common sense into the equation.

If I'm scared of heights, I'm NOT going to apply for a job working on a massive bridge, then tell my employer I can't show up because of my fear of heights and demand them to change their entire work process to accomodate me.  That's not fair for me to expect so I'd just choose another profession, one I can actual work with!

This guy is a fruitcake and makes DeMarcus Cousins look like an accomplished phychologist by comparison.

Wasn't this an already known fact before the draft? The Rockets took responsibility in that one. They drafted him for his basketball talent, knowing the situation.
Actually, I don't think this metaphor fits perfectly. White's basketball has nothing to do with his anxiety. The traveling issues is a part of it, though.

I tend to take the mental illnesses seriously. Cousins is a headache because it's his persona. It has nothing to do with his mental health.

« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2013, 09:55:21 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7505656/iowa-state-royce-white-battle-college-basketball

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/basketball/bringing_order_to_disorder_Iiifvl4JeXbjUjjxTzFp6N

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/story/2012-02-21/royce-white-iowa-state/53196534/1

There are tons of other similar articles.  The reality is, Houston knew what it was getting into and knew full well that something like this could happen.  I have no idea what is going on behind the scenes, but with most things, I'm sure it is somewhere in the middle of what Houston and White are saying publicly. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2013, 10:33:28 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

Wasn't this an already known fact before the draft? The Rockets took responsibility in that one. They drafted him for his basketball talent, knowing the situation.
Actually, I don't think this metaphor fits perfectly. White's basketball has nothing to do with his anxiety. The traveling issues is a part of it, though.

I tend to take the mental illnesses seriously. Cousins is a headache because it's his persona. It has nothing to do with his mental health.

I think the equivalent would be if a bridge builder hired someone who admitted having had a fear of heights, but said he had it in check and expected to be able to work on bridges just fine, thank you.

Then instead of showing up for work on day one, the new employee called in afraid to appear at the bridge site, let alone go up to work on it.

I'd take it that because Houston gave him a guaranteed contract they're in a worse situation than a typical bridge builder.  But could that bridge builder be forced to pay their never-working employee--or at least give him disability pay?

« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2013, 10:48:15 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
BTW, this is how the guy identifies himself on Twitter--enough to make you wonder if he ever plans to play basketball again:

Royce White
@Highway_30
#HUMAN 1st & Foremost, Then... Humanitarian, Writer and Imaginer. {RedNation} #AnxietyTroopers #BeWell
Progressing · iamumusic.com

Here's a tweet of his from this morning, not exactly the day of a professional basketball player:

Royce White ‏@Highway_30
ICK! It's ☔ outside, but I guess the trees need it so... I'm going back to sleep! new screenplay & push-ups when I wake up. 💤 #Rushin

« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2013, 10:50:14 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

I think the equivalent would be if a bridge builder hired someone who admitted having had a fear of heights, but said he had it in check and expected to be able to work on bridges just fine, thank you.

Then instead of showing up for work on day one, the new employee called in afraid to appear at the bridge site, let alone go up to work on it.

I'd take it that because Houston gave him a guaranteed contract they're in a worse situation than a typical bridge builder.  But could that bridge builder be forced to pay their never-working employee--or at least give him disability pay?
Or maybe the employer promised to do certain things to help the employee cope with this known condition and the employer failed to do everything they promised to do and that is why the employee is having difficulty.

You can't just believe everything Houston is telling the public.  I'm sure they made promises to White that they failed to live up to because I'm sure they didn't believe his condition was as bad as it was. 

« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2013, 10:55:33 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
BTW, this is how the guy identifies himself on Twitter--enough to make you wonder if he ever plans to play basketball again:

Royce White
@Highway_30
#HUMAN 1st & Foremost, Then... Humanitarian, Writer and Imaginer. {RedNation} #AnxietyTroopers #BeWell
Progressing · iamumusic.com

Here's a tweet of his from this morning, not exactly the day of a professional basketball player:

Royce White ‏@Highway_30
ICK! It's ☔ outside, but I guess the trees need it so... I'm going back to sleep! new screenplay & push-ups when I wake up. 💤 #Rushin

It does make you wonder whether he ever intended to actually play NBA basketball, or just wanted to payday...

It would be really interesting if the Rockets ever tried to void his contract.  They never would, because he would sue them for discrimination, but it would be an interesting case. 

« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2013, 10:58:27 AM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Or maybe the employer promised to do certain things to help the employee cope with this known condition and the employer failed to do everything they promised to do and that is why the employee is having difficulty.

You can't just believe everything Houston is telling the public.  I'm sure they made promises to White that they failed to live up to because I'm sure they didn't believe his condition was as bad as it was.

In the same token, you can't be certain that the Rockets actually broke any promises to help him. So far there is no evidence that they promised certain things and didn't do them.

In that draft day video, White seemed so grateful that the Rockets took a chance on him. Makes you wonder what changed so much since then. He has a serious issue though, and I believe he will never be able to make it through an NBA season. I think he knows this.

« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2013, 11:16:27 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
one thing for sure...  this Royce White incident will be teaching a HUGE lesson to other GM 's and teams.  When it comes to hiring. Buyer Beware of issues like this. Cover you tail to the max.  People like this willmilk the system for all its worth.

Houston is to blame , they took him when other team suspected his issues might not be easy to work around.

I mean this guy is headche ..right out of the box....

Shoot him with a tranquliizer and toss him on the plane. ;D

« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2013, 11:31:18 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

In the same token, you can't be certain that the Rockets actually broke any promises to help him. So far there is no evidence that they promised certain things and didn't do them.

In that draft day video, White seemed so grateful that the Rockets took a chance on him. Makes you wonder what changed so much since then. He has a serious issue though, and I believe he will never be able to make it through an NBA season. I think he knows this.
He has said they did.  Same evidence you have from the Rockets.

« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2013, 11:34:20 AM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

Exactly my point. There is no evidence on either side, so you cannot make a conclusion. The only evidence so far is that White refuses to show up for multiple assignments.

« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2013, 11:37:40 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Exactly my point. There is no evidence on either side, so you cannot make a conclusion. The only evidence so far is that White refuses to show up for multiple assignments.
I don't know about multiple.  He didn't report to DLeauge citing medical concerns (maybe the Rockets told him he had to fly immediately, who knows), that is far from multiple. 

« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2013, 11:39:46 AM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

I don't know about multiple.  He didn't report to DLeauge citing medical concerns (maybe the Rockets told him he had to fly immediately, who knows), that is far from multiple.

He missed part of training camp and practices too.

Actually, he missed all of training camp, missed preseason, and missed most practices

http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterockets/2012/10/royce-white-out-tonight-working-though-sticky-situation-to-get-on-the-bus/

the Rockets fined him for missing practices, and for failure to attend sessions with a therapist:

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/20982846/royce-white-being-fined-for-each-missed-practice-game