Author Topic: Royce White has refused to go the D-League  (Read 20378 times)

Re: Royce White has refused to go the D-League
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2012, 04:36:44 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I still remember when I was disappointed we ended up with Sully instead of him. Boy was I wrong.

Me too man same thoughts.

And I agree with others in that people know more about illnesses, conditions whatever you wanna call it than he thinks. It's terrible that he's got whatever anxiety condition he's got but there are many many treatments and types of help he can get to overcome whatever he's going through. In this situation he is the one being unprofessional.

At this point I find one of three things going on here;
1. His condition is beyond fixable
2. He is a lot worse then anyone thought and there is more going on than just anxiety. (Insanity)
3. He is upset about playing in Houston and is trying to force a trade by acting out.
He's at the point of sorta trying to convince the whole world that he's had this basically his whole life, but that he was able to deal with it at ISU, but now because of the Rockets he can't be expected to deal with it almost at all. I don't think that's gonna fly.

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2012, 05:43:48 PM »

Offline CantBeRight

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • Not 1...not 2...not 3...not 4...BUT 17
He's making Clutchfans go beserk.
Hope the Rockets just dump him for what he's making them go through.
Celtics fan in Houston.

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2012, 06:43:52 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Not sure why Rockets have to pay him at all.

They're telling him to report somewhere (DLeague) and he is refusing to do so.

He is not performing his end of the contract and is basically being insubordinate.

White's argument could be that he can't perform his contractual obligations because of his disability. Not sure that White's argument holds water. Free will comes in here somewhere, doesn't it?

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2012, 06:44:13 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
Are the Rockets saying he has to travel by plane with the D-League affiliate? If not, then I agree he should be out of the league. He should realize that, mental illness or no, there's a perception that comes with not playing - and he should respect that perception.

If the Rockets offer him the chance to play in the D-League without having to deal with his plane travel issues, then he should be out of the league.

Who is advising him?

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2012, 06:53:37 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Cousins issues are mostly about growing up and temper control. Maturity.   He's young and wild .

Wow ....after reading that WHite statement , if those were his own words , the Celtics dodged a bullet there.

That made up for some of the UNLUCKY draft problems in the past the Celtics suffered though., 

Yikes... :o  Big part of this blog was all but ready to draft White, me included :-X

If the Celtics had drafted him.  instead of Sully, man I would hate to think about it.

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2012, 08:11:21 PM »

Offline Mr Green

• Jrue Holiday
This guy is a mess, to me he appears as completely impulsive and doesn't think anything through. Royce should have at least finished college so he had something to fall back on after throwing his reputation into the NBA toilet.

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2012, 08:11:50 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
Danny ainge was not going to draft him with either pick

he let white's agent know that during the draft.

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2012, 08:13:38 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
Are the Rockets saying he has to travel by plane with the D-League affiliate? If not, then I agree he should be out of the league. He should realize that, mental illness or no, there's a perception that comes with not playing - and he should respect that perception.

If the Rockets offer him the chance to play in the D-League without having to deal with his plane travel issues, then he should be out of the league.

Who is advising him?
noone is "advising him"

He is handicapped. If he is cut, he can sue the team as well as the association for discrimination according to the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2012, 08:14:45 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker

He is not performing his end of the contract and is basically being insubordinate.

White's argument could be that he can't perform his contractual obligations because of his disability. Not sure that White's argument holds water. Free will comes in here somewhere, doesn't it?
wrong, he is handicapped and he can sue for discrimination if he isnt paid.

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2012, 08:15:00 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
At this point I am starting to wonder if he has gotten any NBA checks yet. Where is this guy's money coming from? What is he doing for a job? Where is he on this planet, what is he doing and how is he doing it?  It makes no sense. Is he getting a check and is just on the injury report?

I think they are legally obligated to pay him. This is in all essence an injury. It's like when a guy has knee surgery the doctors can say at some point, you're ready to play. But here it's much more undefined as to when/how someone with anxiety disorder is ready to play. Unfortunately I believe White is taking full advantage of that.
It's just that he refuses to show up, refuses to do what they tell him, bad mouths them.  I just find this whole thing amazing.  It just seems that Royce thinks a mental illness gives him permission to do or not do whatever he wants. If I'm a judge I'm at least requiring him to do what he did for Iowa State because it is known that he can absolutely do that. I suppose an illness can worsen, but geeze. And Royce is making no statements at all about "This is what ISU did to help me that they didn't do". Instead he's just like "They're mean. I don't have to do anything if I don't want to".   

If I'm the Rockets I'm going to the union, to Stern, to court. I'm documenting the heck out of stuff, and then I'm stopping checks. He can get it back when he shapes up. If this goes well for Royce I could see other players getting various diagnosises as well. PTSD and such.

I agree. He's setting a bad precedence and ruining it for players who actually want to try and play despite having a mental illness. .

It's likely that his behavior is a manifestation of his illness.  Oviously he has to take responsibity (pay the consequences) for his actions, but mental illnes will impact his ability to think rationally. I realize there is temptation to be disappointed in someone who is seemingly unable (at least to this point) to 'manage' his own mental illness, but this is what happens to people who are mentally ill.  It's almost never a road without serious bumps. 

None of us really knows him so it's unfair to make any definitive comment, but if an anxiety disorder is the primary diagnosis and he is dealing with unusually intense stressors at 21 years old,  it shouldn't be too surprising that he is sounding a bit nutty.  Mental illness doesn't go away just because you are motivated to make it go away.  Anxiety disorders do impact thinking and the desperation to avoid stressful circumstances can easily lead to distortions and rationalizations to protect against the anxiety.  Assuming that what we are seeing is a manifestation of his menatl illness, I hope those who care about him are trying to guide him well rather than selfishly increasing his stress by pushing his NBA career above all else.

« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2012, 08:26:41 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

wrong, he is handicapped and he can sue for discrimination if he isnt paid.

He maybe can sue, but that does not mean he will win. You are not entitled to a job just because you have a disability. Under the ADA, the employer has an affirmative obligation to accomodate the workers disability assuming that workers can perform the essential functions of his job with or without reasonable accomodation.

Obviously this calls for expert medical opinion on what the disability entails and whether or not the employee is capable of performing the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accomodation. The employer is not required under the ADA to pay an employee that cannot perform essental function of his job.

So what are the essential functions of the job of an NBA player? Does he need accomodations to perform these functions? Are the accomodations reasonable?

He maybe able to claim that his disability if he has one was accomodated at ISU, but this raises a couple of interesting issues. At ISU it was  not a job (rolling eyes), the NBA season is quite different from college ball.

Will be interesting if it goes to litigation, but this is not a slam dunk for the disabled worker.

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2012, 08:42:50 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
This guy isnt just mentally ill. He is also a tool.

Unfortunate.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2012, 08:57:26 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
This guy isnt just mentally ill. He is also a tool.

Unfortunate.

I think it's either he is mentally ill OR he is a tool. 

If it's mental illness he is still responsible for his actions, but his actions should be taken in context.  Mental illness causes distortions of thinking and variable capacity to manage emotions.  To some this probably sounds like an excuse, to others, it's a reason. As a reason, it explains the behavior (which may cause some to feel compassion), it doesn't excuse it.

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2012, 09:10:43 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
At this point I am starting to wonder if he has gotten any NBA checks yet. Where is this guy's money coming from? What is he doing for a job? Where is he on this planet, what is he doing and how is he doing it?  It makes no sense. Is he getting a check and is just on the injury report?

I think they are legally obligated to pay him. This is in all essence an injury. It's like when a guy has knee surgery the doctors can say at some point, you're ready to play. But here it's much more undefined as to when/how someone with anxiety disorder is ready to play. Unfortunately I believe White is taking full advantage of that.
It's just that he refuses to show up, refuses to do what they tell him, bad mouths them.  I just find this whole thing amazing.  It just seems that Royce thinks a mental illness gives him permission to do or not do whatever he wants. If I'm a judge I'm at least requiring him to do what he did for Iowa State because it is known that he can absolutely do that. I suppose an illness can worsen, but geeze. And Royce is making no statements at all about "This is what ISU did to help me that they didn't do". Instead he's just like "They're mean. I don't have to do anything if I don't want to".   

If I'm the Rockets I'm going to the union, to Stern, to court. I'm documenting the heck out of stuff, and then I'm stopping checks. He can get it back when he shapes up. If this goes well for Royce I could see other players getting various diagnosises as well. PTSD and such.

I agree. He's setting a bad precedence and ruining it for players who actually want to try and play despite having a mental illness. .

It's likely that his behavior is a manifestation of his illness.  Oviously he has to take responsibity (pay the consequences) for his actions, but mental illnes will impact his ability to think rationally. I realize there is temptation to be disappointed in someone who is seemingly unable (at least to this point) to 'manage' his own mental illness, but this is what happens to people who are mentally ill.  It's almost never a road without serious bumps. 

None of us really knows him so it's unfair to make any definitive comment, but if an anxiety disorder is the primary diagnosis and he is dealing with unusually intense stressors at 21 years old,  it shouldn't be too surprising that he is sounding a bit nutty.  Mental illness doesn't go away just because you are motivated to make it go away.  Anxiety disorders do impact thinking and the desperation to avoid stressful circumstances can easily lead to distortions and rationalizations to protect against the anxiety.  Assuming that what we are seeing is a manifestation of his menatl illness, I hope those who care about him are trying to guide him well rather than selfishly increasing his stress by pushing his NBA career above all else.
Kind of interesting that his illness didn't flare up during the draft process and just happened to flare up now that he has been drafted and signed a contract. That's pretty excellent timing on the illness' part. I mean it could have had serious anxiety issues enough to push him to the second round, but somehow things were going fine till he had to do his job. I mean I would think the draft process might cause some serious anxiety. But apparently not.

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2012, 10:25:14 PM »

Offline Mr Green

• Jrue Holiday
White calls Rockets' statements misleading, inaccurate

Posted Dec 30, 2012 1:57 PM

An official statement from Royce White:

We say there is such an unknown element to mental health in this country, due to the number of people who are not diagnosed. This element also makes it a tough demographic to support.

I agree.

However, it saddens and frightens me to know that in this situation all the decision makers involved have been informed of all the medical dynamics, and yet still refuse to adhere to medical sensibility. In hindsight of the recent tragedies in this country, that had mental illness variables, you would think it would encourage people to act more proactively in that arena. You would think that decision makers who are not well informed about mental health, would take the consultation and recommendation of those who are. You would think we would start to do everything possible to not let the tragic consequences befall us first, before we ask the logical question, "why?", "who knew?" "how could we have helped?. Why not take a proactive approach of "who knows?" "how can we listen?", "how can we support now?"

I do wish to play, but I only intend to do so with the collaboration and recommendation of trained professionals. The purpose of a doctor's confirmation is to ensure that health decisions are made in the sole interest of health and not conflicted with business. My only hope is that decision makers involved realize that doctors are the only logical source to decide action.

There is an admitted lack of knowledge on behalf of the Rockets and the NBA, it becomes transparent as they choose to forego the knowledge of trained professionals and make independent decisions for something as complex as mental health without consulting any doctors. The Rockets have told me in recent conversations that it is their right to decline even their own doctors' recommendations. The concept of not listening to medical consultants in medical situations is alarming. It is also alarming that a player is susceptible to fines for simply adhering to the recommendation of doctors.

It is true that accommodating mental health can be very tough and complex, however, sometimes the only reasonable solution to doing what is right is doing what is tough. To portray that the Rockets have been supportive to me is fundamentally incorrect.

The information that the Houston Rockets have publicly presented about this situation has been extremely misleading and a lot of times totally inaccurate. An image of support has been presented by the Rockets, but the only logical support here would be listening to the recommendation of the medical professionals involved. That has not totally happened here. I have chosen to not play, because the doctors and I believe it to be unsafe for unqualified Rockets front office personnel to make medical decisions, as they are not mental health professionals.

Source: www.nba.com/2012/news/12/30/royce-whites-statement/index.html

I don't think that the medical recomendations he is alluding to have been made public yet. He has also omitted from his statement what those medical recomendations are.

The way I understand it previously is that his 'mental illness' doesn't prevent him from playing basketball, it simply prevents him from travelling between games on a plane. Surely they could compromise by Royce just playing in Houston's home games; meeting each other halfway is better than nothing. Plus he could also easily drive to away games within Texas, Oklahoma City and New Orleans.

I get the feeling now that he's just being difficult to get some attention. Biting the hand that feeds him by releasing a statement like this has also likely ended his chances of playing with Houston.