Author Topic: Royce White has refused to go the D-League  (Read 20501 times)

Re: Royce White has refused to go the D-League
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2012, 10:37:13 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525
At this point I am starting to wonder if he has gotten any NBA checks yet. Where is this guy's money coming from? What is he doing for a job? Where is he on this planet, what is he doing and how is he doing it?  It makes no sense. Is he getting a check and is just on the injury report?

I think they are legally obligated to pay him. This is in all essence an injury. It's like when a guy has knee surgery the doctors can say at some point, you're ready to play. But here it's much more undefined as to when/how someone with anxiety disorder is ready to play. Unfortunately I believe White is taking full advantage of that.
It's just that he refuses to show up, refuses to do what they tell him, bad mouths them.  I just find this whole thing amazing.  It just seems that Royce thinks a mental illness gives him permission to do or not do whatever he wants. If I'm a judge I'm at least requiring him to do what he did for Iowa State because it is known that he can absolutely do that. I suppose an illness can worsen, but geeze. And Royce is making no statements at all about "This is what ISU did to help me that they didn't do". Instead he's just like "They're mean. I don't have to do anything if I don't want to".   

If I'm the Rockets I'm going to the union, to Stern, to court. I'm documenting the heck out of stuff, and then I'm stopping checks. He can get it back when he shapes up. If this goes well for Royce I could see other players getting various diagnosises as well. PTSD and such.

I agree. He's setting a bad precedence and ruining it for players who actually want to try and play despite having a mental illness. .

It's likely that his behavior is a manifestation of his illness.  Oviously he has to take responsibity (pay the consequences) for his actions, but mental illnes will impact his ability to think rationally. I realize there is temptation to be disappointed in someone who is seemingly unable (at least to this point) to 'manage' his own mental illness, but this is what happens to people who are mentally ill.  It's almost never a road without serious bumps. 

None of us really knows him so it's unfair to make any definitive comment, but if an anxiety disorder is the primary diagnosis and he is dealing with unusually intense stressors at 21 years old,  it shouldn't be too surprising that he is sounding a bit nutty.  Mental illness doesn't go away just because you are motivated to make it go away.  Anxiety disorders do impact thinking and the desperation to avoid stressful circumstances can easily lead to distortions and rationalizations to protect against the anxiety.  Assuming that what we are seeing is a manifestation of his menatl illness, I hope those who care about him are trying to guide him well rather than selfishly increasing his stress by pushing his NBA career above all else.
Kind of interesting that his illness didn't flare up during the draft process and just happened to flare up now that he has been drafted and signed a contract. That's pretty excellent timing on the illness' part. I mean it could have had serious anxiety issues enough to push him to the second round, but somehow things were going fine till he had to do his job. I mean I would think the draft process might cause some serious anxiety. But apparently not.

Well it could all be a ruse, in which case the big issue here isn't mental illness.  But neither you or I know how he was responding privately to his stresses. And further it's not likely that you or I know specifically what triggers his anxiety.  I am clearly not saying that I know that he is mentally ill.   If he is, however, it's unlikely you or I would make sense of it given that we know very little about his actual life.

« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2012, 10:48:47 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Royce White has refused to go the D-League, as requested by the Rockets, saying in a statement, "I do wish to play, but I only intend to do so with the collaboration and recommendation of trained professionals."
White goes on to say the team has made "unsafe" decisions and has been "extremely misleading" in their presentation of the facts, while "refusing to adhere to medical sensibility." This destroys any notion of goodwill between Royce and the Rockets, and it's starting to feel like a matter of time before Houston cuts ties with their No. 16 draft pick.
Source: Jonathan Feigen on Twitter Dec 30 - 2:08 PM

The Rockets should just dump him. I'm all for supporting someone with mental illness, but this guy doesn't want to play in the NBA, he wants to take advantage of his condition to make a point and get paid for doing nothing but criticizing his employer. Ron Artest and Demarcus Cousins have some psychiatric issues but make a full effort to work and compete every year. This guy does the opposite.

They really should be able to just void his contract and send him on his way.  Hopefully he made the best of his experience in College and can handle a desk job somewhere.

They have no obligation to deal with him.  If he's mentally incapable of doing his job, he should find a new one and they shouldn't need to pay him a cent.

« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2012, 12:13:39 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283

Royce White has refused to go the D-League, as requested by the Rockets, saying in a statement, "I do wish to play, but I only intend to do so with the collaboration and recommendation of trained professionals."
White goes on to say the team has made "unsafe" decisions and has been "extremely misleading" in their presentation of the facts, while "refusing to adhere to medical sensibility." This destroys any notion of goodwill between Royce and the Rockets, and it's starting to feel like a matter of time before Houston cuts ties with their No. 16 draft pick.

The Rockets should just dump him. I'm all for supporting someone with mental illness, but this guy doesn't want to play in the NBA, he wants to take advantage of his condition to make a point and get paid for doing nothing but criticizing his employer. Ron Artest and Demarcus Cousins have some psychiatric issues but make a full effort to work and compete every year. This guy does the opposite.

They really should be able to just void his contract and send him on his way.  Hopefully he made the best of his experience in College and can handle a desk job somewhere.

They have no obligation to deal with him.  If he's mentally incapable of doing his job, he should find a new one and they shouldn't need to pay him a cent.
"If he's mentally incapable of doing his job"
1. who said he was metally incapable of doing his job?  He can do it, he proved it in college. He is currently suffering from anxiety.

2. "he should find a new one "
 Who are you to decide what SOMEONE ELSE should or shouldnt do?

3. He has a disability, and needs to be accomidated to. If not, that is discrimination.

« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2012, 12:20:57 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
At this point I am starting to wonder if he has gotten any NBA checks yet. Where is this guy's money coming from? What is he doing for a job? Where is he on this planet, what is he doing and how is he doing it?  It makes no sense. Is he getting a check and is just on the injury report?

I think they are legally obligated to pay him. This is in all essence an injury. It's like when a guy has knee surgery the doctors can say at some point, you're ready to play. But here it's much more undefined as to when/how someone with anxiety disorder is ready to play. Unfortunately I believe White is taking full advantage of that.
It's just that he refuses to show up, refuses to do what they tell him, bad mouths them.  I just find this whole thing amazing.  It just seems that Royce thinks a mental illness gives him permission to do or not do whatever he wants. If I'm a judge I'm at least requiring him to do what he did for Iowa State because it is known that he can absolutely do that. I suppose an illness can worsen, but geeze. And Royce is making no statements at all about "This is what ISU did to help me that they didn't do". Instead he's just like "They're mean. I don't have to do anything if I don't want to".   

If I'm the Rockets I'm going to the union, to Stern, to court. I'm documenting the heck out of stuff, and then I'm stopping checks. He can get it back when he shapes up. If this goes well for Royce I could see other players getting various diagnosises as well. PTSD and such.

I agree. He's setting a bad precedence and ruining it for players who actually want to try and play despite having a mental illness. .

It's likely that his behavior is a manifestation of his illness.  Oviously he has to take responsibity (pay the consequences) for his actions, but mental illnes will impact his ability to think rationally. I realize there is temptation to be disappointed in someone who is seemingly unable (at least to this point) to 'manage' his own mental illness, but this is what happens to people who are mentally ill.  It's almost never a road without serious bumps. 

None of us really knows him so it's unfair to make any definitive comment, but if an anxiety disorder is the primary diagnosis and he is dealing with unusually intense stressors at 21 years old,  it shouldn't be too surprising that he is sounding a bit nutty.  Mental illness doesn't go away just because you are motivated to make it go away.  Anxiety disorders do impact thinking and the desperation to avoid stressful circumstances can easily lead to distortions and rationalizations to protect against the anxiety.  Assuming that what we are seeing is a manifestation of his menatl illness, I hope those who care about him are trying to guide him well rather than selfishly increasing his stress by pushing his NBA career above all else.
Kind of interesting that his illness didn't flare up during the draft process and just happened to flare up now that he has been drafted and signed a contract. That's pretty excellent timing on the illness' part. I mean it could have had serious anxiety issues enough to push him to the second round, but somehow things were going fine till he had to do his job. I mean I would think the draft process might cause some serious anxiety. But apparently not.
Actually, He had a very well documented anxiety attack during the draft. He couldnt even see his family and friends right after he was drafted

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRUS6QBiViQ

nice to see that you diss the guy before you even do your research though.

« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2012, 02:44:30 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

"If he's mentally incapable of doing his job"
1. who said he was metally incapable of doing his job?  He can do it, he proved it in college. He is currently suffering from anxiety.

2. "he should find a new one "
 Who are you to decide what SOMEONE ELSE should or shouldnt do?

3. He has a disability, and needs to be accomidated to. If not, that is discrimination.

Only reasonable accommodation must be made, and IMO having a professional sports team player only play home games is beyond the level of accommodation that should be required. 

One could quibble with the law and the vagueness of what should be required--it's a fundamental principle that one's rights end where another's begin--but it is not the case that an extraordinary level of accommodation, however onerous, must be made.

« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2012, 02:46:38 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
This guy isnt just mentally ill. He is also a tool.

Unfortunate.

I think it's either he is mentally ill OR he is a tool. 

If it's mental illness he is still responsible for his actions, but his actions should be taken in context.  Mental illness causes distortions of thinking and variable capacity to manage emotions.  To some this probably sounds like an excuse, to others, it's a reason. As a reason, it explains the behavior (which may cause some to feel compassion), it doesn't excuse it.

It sounds, according to your description, as if mental illness is the reason he's behaving like a tool.  That seems reasonable.

« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2012, 11:12:51 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Haha, as much of a punk he is, I'm starting to like Royce White.  He wants full accommodations for his illness and immediate star treatment before he even plays a game. 

I hope everyone fully understands that anxiety is no joke.  It's literally one of the toughest disabilities to live with unmedicated, and nearly impossible to understand unless you're a chronic sufferer.

And as wrong as White has been every step of the way, I gotta give him props for sticking to his guns this long.  It's almost refreshing to see someone using their star potential as leverage to get what they need.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2012, 12:44:44 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
What a guy. Rockets should just waive him. Prob trying to package him in a deal hoping someone will take him

Thanks to white anybody in the future remotely mentioning that they have any mental disorder won't be drafted until the 2nd round if drafted at all

« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2012, 12:50:54 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I feel sorry for the guy. He is doing what his he thinks is best. At least he thinks he know everything. Thats cool and good luck with that. Bottom line he is still wanting to play NBA ball under his own terms.  But the league cant shut down for one players special needs.  Life is ruff ....get over it.

I am thankful the Celtics are NOT wrapped up in this mess. Its a disttraction .  The ROckets should just let him go .  PERIOD ...say good bye.  If WHite can get better and find a team that will bow to all his request , then good for him.  I maybe wrong, but I doubt it. ;D

I fully expect the Rockets is his first and last NBA experience without miracle drugs or brain transplant.

Maybe he can play in Japan and travel by train  or possibly Europe.

Gods speed .

« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2012, 01:02:06 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
I get anxious on a flight both when a jet leaves the ground and on landing....But I sure as hell would rather fly 3 hours than drive 30.

This is absolutely silly.

White should be cut if he refuses to go to D-league.  He's an employee of the Rockets.  He should be suspended without pay until he goes.

« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2012, 01:37:09 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Haha, as much of a punk he is, I'm starting to like Royce White.  He wants full accommodations for his illness and immediate star treatment before he even plays a game. 

I hope everyone fully understands that anxiety is no joke.  It's literally one of the toughest disabilities to live with unmedicated, and nearly impossible to understand unless you're a chronic sufferer.

And as wrong as White has been every step of the way, I gotta give him props for sticking to his guns this long.  It's almost refreshing to see someone using their star potential as leverage to get what they need.

He's a late first rounder....He's not a star and has no leverage.

« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2012, 02:20:48 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

Actually, He had a very well documented anxiety attack during the draft. He couldnt even see his family and friends right after he was drafted

I said the draft process. Not the draft. He sat down with GMs and did fine in interviews, didn't he? He travelled to them I assume. He sat down with people and never mentioned "Hey if I get anxiety severe enough I might miss a quarter of the season or more." He didn't mention that during the draft process, did he? During the draft process there were no hints of an uncontrollable or untreatable illness. It was only after the draft that that happened, right? Perfect timing. I stand by what I said 100%. If you can find me a place where he told teams that realistically he could miss a huge amount of the season and that he would bad mouth them if he didn't think they were making the right accommodations then I will say you are right and I was wrong.

« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2013, 05:32:44 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
This guy is basically a pyscho with a severe anxiety disorder.
He's crazy- imagine a Ron Artest with better vocational skills.
Someone so mentally ill, that they've convinced themselves that they are always the victim.

He's not being a punk, his mental problems are making him a punk, and he doesn't even realize it.
Very unfortunate because the Rockets are one of the best organizations and they shouldn't have to go through this crap.
I feel sorry for Royce and I feel sorry for the Rockets.
He's found his stage and he's convinced himself, like many a pyschopath, that he's an eternal victim. One million people telling him he's being a jackass, yet 1000 people are saying 'You go Royce, do it for the mentally ill!'.

He's a complete and utter Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.bag, but he doesn't realize it.
For Royce, he can be a Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. and get away with it because to him that's normal.

Thank god we didn't draft this poor guy.
I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up homeless or dead.
He's so unbelievably impulsive and I just can't understand how he's not medicated to stop this- that's one of the reasons I'm suspicious as to him having a severe anxiety disorder as opposed to be completely nuts- it could definitely be the latter.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2013, 05:43:17 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
This guy is basically a pyscho with a severe anxiety disorder.
He's crazy- imagine a Ron Artest with better vocational skills.
Someone so mentally ill, that they've convinced themselves that they are always the victim.

He's not being a punk, his mental problems are making him a punk, and he doesn't even realize it.
Very unfortunate because the Rockets are one of the best organizations and they shouldn't have to go through this crap.
I feel sorry for Royce and I feel sorry for the Rockets.
He's found his stage and he's convinced himself, like many a pyschopath, that he's an eternal victim. One million people telling him he's being a jackass, yet 1000 people are saying 'You go Royce, do it for the mentally ill!'.

He's a complete and utter ****bag, but he doesn't realize it.
For Royce, he can be a **** and get away with it because to him that's normal.

Thank god we didn't draft this poor guy.
I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up homeless or dead.
He's so unbelievably impulsive and I just can't understand how he's not medicated to stop this- that's one of the reasons I'm suspicious as to him having a severe anxiety disorder as opposed to be completely nuts- it could definitely be the latter.

Insanely harsh.

But true.

« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2013, 06:29:46 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

I said the draft process. Not the draft. He sat down with GMs and did fine in interviews, didn't he? He travelled to them I assume. He sat down with people and never mentioned "Hey if I get anxiety severe enough I might miss a quarter of the season or more." He didn't mention that during the draft process, did he? During the draft process there were no hints of an uncontrollable or untreatable illness. It was only after the draft that that happened, right? Perfect timing. I stand by what I said 100%. If you can find me a place where he told teams that realistically he could miss a huge amount of the season and that he would bad mouth them if he didn't think they were making the right accommodations then I will say you are right and I was wrong.
No it was during the draft process.  Teams took him off their draft boards because of it.  You are just wrong here.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip