Author Topic: I'm not calling for Doc's head, but...  (Read 6778 times)

I'm not calling for Doc's head, but...
« on: December 30, 2012, 12:14:10 PM »

Offline edwardjkasche

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 38
There hasn't been a more disappointing team this season that hasn't already fired its coach.

Fakers were disappointing, and Mike Brown lost his job.

Nets were disappointing (and ahead of Celtics in the standings), and Avery Johnson lost his job.

When does this become Doc's fault?

I tell you, I hate reading quotes like this (from last night's game): "And at some point, I thought, you've got to penetrate and take it to the basket. They don't have a lot of shot-blocking, and we didn't do that. But it's hard to tell a shooter not to shoot an open shot. So, as a coach, you're kind of stuck."

You're the COACH!  Tell the shooter not to shoot.  And, if they don't listen, play someone else.

Last night wasn't a game about making more shots.  The Celtics lost by 18.  The other night they lost by 29.

This is ALL effort and passion and focus.

And, if Doc can't get effort, passion, and focus out of the team, then he doesn't deserve to be coach.

Re: I'm not calling for Doc's head, but...
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 12:18:58 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I tell you, I hate reading quotes like this (from last night's game): "And at some point, I thought, you've got to penetrate and take it to the basket. They don't have a lot of shot-blocking, and we didn't do that. But it's hard to tell a shooter not to shoot an open shot. So, as a coach, you're kind of stuck."

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing at one point during the game when Golden State had David Lee and Carl Landry out there ... but I looked around at who was on the floor for the Celtics and frankly I couldn't see anyone who could get to the rim consistently.

Not with Pierce struggling the way he was. Not a big believer. Terry and Lee don't offer much as dribble drive players. There wasn't much better options elsewhere on the bench either. Jeff Green was the only plausible option but I am not a big believer in him as a scorer either.

They just don't have that dribble penetration threat without Rondo in the lineup.

It was pretty depressing to see such a wonderful opening for Boston to attack the basket but nobody there capable of doing of the job.

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 12:22:30 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
There hasn't been a more disappointing team this season that hasn't already fired its coach.

Nets were disappointing (and ahead of Celtics in the standings), and Avery Johnson lost his job.

You're the COACH!  Tell the shooter not to shoot.  And, if they don't listen, play someone else.

Last night wasn't a game about making more shots.  The Celtics lost by 18.  The other night they lost by 29.

And, if Doc can't get effort, passion, and focus out of the team, then he doesn't deserve to be coach.

We have an entirely new roster from last year.  It wasn't going to magically happen overnight.  We have faults, for sure.  Doc, in my opinion, is struggling a little bit with the rotation.  But he is trying out a bunch of guys to see what he has.  I think he will settle on a core group soon and then go from there.

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 12:26:55 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
It wasn't going to magically happen overnight. 

This excuse has officially expired.  The only late signing for Boston was Barbosa, so Doc had the off season, a full training camp, a full pre-season and now 29 games of the regular season with these players.  If it takes you that long to get your team all on the same page, you're doing it wrong because even if everything magically clicks and you're playing well at the end of the season, you're at best the 4th or 5th seed and have made yourself a much tougher path through the playoffs.

Mike

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 12:32:00 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

Big difference is none of those coaches (fired) has won a championship.  None of those coaches has been with their team as long as Doc has.  None of them has worked with a terrible group of guys and strings of badlucks and still made something out of nothing (yea, I'm talking about last season) like Doc has done.

Please people, stop the madness.  Where is our loyalty?  Like Danny said, the guy has earned his stay here no matter how bad things get.

This is thesame coach that has displayed his genius and briliance over the years and considering the core and scrubs he's had to work with, he has done a fantastic job.

So this time our boat is being rocked a little and we're calling for him to get fired.  Watching him on the courtside game after game and the way he keeps coaching players on the court, you could tell that he's doing his very best and most important of all, he cares.  He's not doing anything he hasn't been doing for the past five years.  If anything, he's cut down the defensive plays in half and result to basics just to make things easier on group of guys that seems so unfit and clueless.  He's done is job...

My only grip with the guy this season was chasing Darko out of town because I think Darko would've made a big difference.  But remember Darko had a wrist injury which would've affected him on the court.  But I think he still could've gotten a chance.

Each player has to look in the mirror.  They're not doing anything they're suppose to be doing.  Outside of KG, Rondo, and Sullinger...everybody else has been a colossal disappointment this season with Paul Pierce, Jason Terry, and Jeff Green topping that list.

As far as I'm concern, this is not Doc's fault.  We don't have a legit talented big outside of KG.  It's a team full average backup guards and power forwards.  We need a trade badly and with Avery back on the 2nd, we should be balling again.  But all these Doc's blame is ridiculous to me
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 12:52:09 PM by Clench123 »

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 12:41:33 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Doc has issues but he's still a top coach in the NBA. No chance we get rid of him but I'm okay with him receiving some criticism.

We way over reached expectations last year. Maybe we don't this year. We still have above average talent. I think when push comes to shove, we can play teams tough.

If not, we go for a lotto pick and try again next year.

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 12:46:11 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
This is thesame coach that has displayed his genius and briliance over the years and considering the core and scrubs he's had to work with, he has done a fantastic job.

Hold it.  Everyone's always liked Doc, but NOBODY could have called him a genius or brilliant before he got KG and Ray in Boston.  He was a coach with a mediocre record who had guided not one but two teams through historically long losing streaks.

Mike

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 12:48:58 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134

Hold it.  Everyone's always liked Doc, but NOBODY could have called him a genius or brilliant before he got KG and Ray in Boston.  He was a coach with a mediocre record who had guided not one but two teams through historically long losing streaks.

Mike

lol, you're on a roll.

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 12:54:17 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen

Mike

If that's the only part you chose to focus on.  Phil Jackson or Pop wouldn't have been able to do anything with the goup he had

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 12:55:22 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
If Doc were fired, KG and Paul would retire, and Rondo would ask for a trade.

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 12:57:09 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
If Doc were fired, KG and Paul would retire, and Rondo would ask for a trade.

That's the truth, the only truth, and nothing but the truth.

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2012, 12:59:16 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Sometimes I wonder if the Celtics might have been better off if Doc has retired a few years back and let Thibs take over.

Otherwise, I still think Doc can get this team motivated.  I suspect he is still trying to figure out the best rotation to use, while limiting KG's minutes.  That isn't an easy task.  When Doc settles on a shorter, and more stable rotation (hopefully after a trade), I believe we will see improvement.

Sometimes it is a simple as the players just aren't cutting it.  No amount of coaching can fix roster flaws.

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2012, 01:07:49 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Sometimes I wonder if the Celtics might have been better off if Doc has retired a few years back and let Thibs take over.

Otherwise, I still think Doc can get this team motivated.  I suspect he is still trying to figure out the best rotation to use, while limiting KG's minutes.  That isn't an easy task.  When Doc settles on a shorter, and more stable rotation (hopefully after a trade), I believe we will see improvement.

Sometimes it is a simple as the players just aren't cutting it.  No amount of coaching can fix roster flaws.

Let me see if I have this right. Doc has had about six months to figure out how to mold this team and he has not, but you think he will get the team molded within a couple of weeks after a trade?

Oooooooooooooooooooookay!!

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2012, 01:19:36 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
doc has been exposed this season...like him but he's not a great coach like he's been credited with in recent years...Tom thibodeau was the genius behind our finals teams

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2012, 01:22:01 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
doc has been exposed this season...like him but he's not a great coach like he's been credited with in recent years...Tom thibodeau was the genius behind our finals teams

we did quite well the last 2 years without Thibs