Author Topic: why Avery Bradley will improve this team(but isnt a savior on his own)  (Read 2788 times)

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
alot of the arguments for why bradley wont help us are that "one player isnt a savior!" while bradley alone isnt a savior its the subsequent moves that make the team better.

I look at it like when the Patriots acquired Aqib Talib...how is it that adding ONE player to the team improved that defense? its because it allowed them to move players to roles where they are more comfortable/apt to excel in.

when adding Bradley to the team you

1. replace a horrible defender(terry) with an elite one(bradley)
2. you put Terry on the bench where he is more comfortable to come out and score.
3.it improves the defense of our first unit so we can hopefully get out to leads in the first quarter instead of playing catch-up.

really, thats a large reason why we improved last year as well. our defense was slow and allen couldnt cover anyone. putting him on the bench/bradley in the starting lineup made us a better team...and the stats show it.

now, im sure i'll be met with responses of how Bradley really had nothing to do with our run last year, and how he will be useless this year. But, ill be back in a month when bradley is playing well and our team as a while is playing better because of it.

Re: why Avery Bradley will improve this team(but isnt a savior on his own)
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 09:28:18 AM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
alot of the arguments for why bradley wont help us are that "one player isnt a savior!" while bradley alone isnt a savior its the subsequent moves that make the team better.

I look at it like when the Patriots acquired Aqib Talib...how is it that adding ONE player to the team improved that defense? its because it allowed them to move players to roles where they are more comfortable/apt to excel in.

when adding Bradley to the team you

1. replace a horrible defender(terry) with an elite one(bradley)
2. you put Terry on the bench where he is more comfortable to come out and score.
3.it improves the defense of our first unit so we can hopefully get out to leads in the first quarter instead of playing catch-up.

really, thats a large reason why we improved last year as well. our defense was slow and allen couldnt cover anyone. putting him on the bench/bradley in the starting lineup made us a better team...and the stats show it.

now, im sure i'll be met with responses of how Bradley really had nothing to do with our run last year, and how he will be useless this year. But, ill be back in a month when bradley is playing well and our team as a while is playing better because of it.

Anybody who says that doesn't even deserve a response. Avery bradley is a huge piece to this team and a huge importance.

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 09:36:21 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I just hope his play and energy inspires the rest of the team to play with some as well. I'm excited to see JET back in his 6th man role where hopefully he will be much more comfortable.

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 09:57:52 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
offense starts with a good defense.  AB should make "some" difference.   Terry is too old and short to play big minutes, its been a long time since he had to play alot of minutes , the opponent size him up quick and abuse him.  JET is shooter who comes off the bench cold for like a 4-6min period and destroys the other team when they are down or a end of game bucket. He is a specialized specific role player.   Thats all he was for the MAv 's for so long , I can't remeber him playing Rondo kind of minutes. Jet is has accepted his role as killer off the bench , anyone can see by his body language he is uncomfortable with playing more than 7 minutes.  Jet is being used wrong. The starters need to build a lead and when the other team is reeling , throw in JET for the deadly THREE's . to finish them off. He has the uncanny ability to come in stone cold , and knock down THREE's.   

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 10:07:22 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I just hope his play and energy inspires the rest of the team to play with some as well. I'm excited to see JET back in his 6th man role where hopefully he will be much more comfortable.

This is really what I'm hoping for.

The team will see AB make some quality perimeter stops, a couple blocks here and there, and Rondo will find him cutting in the lane for an easy layup or two.

The team should respond to those positives. They'll be energized and play with more fire. They will have a winning attitude again.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 10:13:49 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 638
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Going to take a lot more than Bradley to help this team. Jason terry has been a bust...as has lee. This team plays no defense and just is not any good

Right now they are getting blown out pretty much in each loss. They are very lazy and an embarrassment. I expected more from these guys. I now accept they are an old .500 team that will be a 6,7 or 8 seed and will be lucky to get out of round one

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 10:21:08 AM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
Going to take a lot more than Bradley to help this team. Jason terry has been a bust...as has lee. This team plays no defense and just is not any good

Right now they are getting blown out pretty much in each loss. They are very lazy and an embarrassment. I expected more from these guys. I now accept they are an old .500 team that will be a 6,7 or 8 seed and will be lucky to get out of round one

I disagree that's its gonna take ALOT more than bradley. Add in bradley and a talented big *Cousins, gortat etc* and this is a whole different team. That's all we need IMO. Then all of our role players can be ROLE PLAYERS and not STARTERS. Collins and Bass even LEE should not be starters on a championship team. Once we get everybody back to playing their roles on a consistent basis we will be fine.. Assuming danny gets it done.

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 10:24:21 AM »

Offline BMark3

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 1
We need to start playing our more athletic guys (Green Lee, Bradley, Bass) at the same time for extended periods.  LAC and GSW crushed us with their superior athleticism.

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 10:30:22 AM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429

The team will see AB make some quality perimeter stops, a couple blocks here and there, and Rondo will find him cutting in the lane for an easy layup or two.

The team should respond to those positives. They'll be energized and play with more fire. They will have a winning attitude again.

Someone needs to explain to me why 12 guys, including two guaranteed hall of famers need to be inspired to play good basketball by a guy who has never played a Full season. Clearly he is a good defensive player, but I just don't get this line of thinking. Don't these  guys know by suck by now or do they need Bradley to help them figure that out and will just start playing better? I am trying to Nederland this line of thinking, but just can't. Shouldn't they have the professional pride to start playing better on their own?

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 10:31:02 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

I disagree that's its gonna take ALOT more than bradley. Add in bradley and a talented big *Cousins, gortat etc* and this is a whole different team. That's all we need IMO. Then all of our role players can be ROLE PLAYERS and not STARTERS. Collins and Bass even LEE should not be starters on a championship team. Once we get everybody back to playing their roles on a consistent basis we will be fine.. Assuming danny gets it done.

It doesn't even have to be a talented big. Just someone who's big enough, athletic enough and is willing to challenge shots and get contact and fight for rebounds. The talent will be just gravy. Give me someone like a Brendan Haywood or Tim Mosgov or Koufos or Okafor or (my boy) Jason Smith and a healthy AB and this team will be way better.

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 10:31:56 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 638
  • MASTER OF PANIC

That is a lot of move to get one of the guys you mentioned and I agree it needs to be done

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2012, 10:33:16 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

LOL, when you add a player like Cousins, that IS a lot more than Bradley! Anyway, we are not getting a player like Cousins without trading Bradley. It's the "talented big" that would have the larger impact to our team imo.

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2012, 10:36:55 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
demarcus cousins

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2012, 10:37:30 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Someone needs to explain to me why 12 guys, including two guaranteed hall of famers need to be inspired to play good basketball by a guy who has never played a Full season. Clearly he is a good defensive player, but I just don't get this line of thinking. Don't these  guys know by suck by now or do they need Bradley to help them figure that out and will just start playing better? I am trying to Nederland this line of thinking, but just can't. Shouldn't they have the professional pride to start playing better on their own?

Losing tends to to suck up your confidence. Even the veterans experience that. I don't care if you're a HOF'er, when your losing, you tend to think twice about everything you do on the court instead of just letting your game flow because you're too worried of LOSING AGAIN.

Having someone who will change the flow of the game and put you in a winning situation WILL INSPIRE everyone. It's so simple. When they are in a position to win, they get more aggressive, players get more confident and they don't tend to think too much. They will shoot at will, confidently, and will hit the shot. They will play better defense, their energy will be in a higher level.

AB is a difference maker on defense. He will shut people down, leading to less easy baskets, leading to more offensive possessions, leading to more points, leading to well, getting the lead and the win. Along the way, the team will play inspired basketball because of that, instead of playing nervous and thinking they'll lose again.

You're pessimism is just preventing you from seeing how simple it is.

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2012, 10:38:49 AM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney

It doesn't even have to be a talented big. Just someone who's big enough, athletic enough and is willing to challenge shots and get contact and fight for rebounds. The talent will be just gravy. Give me someone like a Brendan Haywood or Tim Mosgov or Koufos or Okafor or (my boy) Jason Smith and a healthy AB and this team will be way better.

Yeah you're right.