Author Topic: Everything is fine. Just played a team hitting everything tonight  (Read 9286 times)

Re: Everything is fine. Just played a team hitting everything tonight
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2012, 02:05:54 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I saw pretty good ball movement.against the Dubs. Just couldnt hit anything.

Our defense looks okay, but there was no effort. Everyone looked tired or just flat out quit. Avery needs to come back now. He may be able to provide a spark.

There's nothing "okay" about this defense, and you contradict yourself in the second half of your statement. There's zero defensive effort on this team from anyone besides Garnett, and that isn't new to last night. It's a pattern with the season.

Everything is not fine. Danny has assembled a bunch of pieces that have not remotely fit together. This is a .500 team with little or no playoff future, with or without Avery Bradley, unless changes are made.

When you use lines like "there's zero defensive effort on this team from anyone besides Garnett," it's hard to take you seriously.  That kind of over the top hyperbole doesn't really add anything of substance. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2012, 02:18:55 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1642

Our defense looks okay, but there was no effort. Everyone looked tired or just flat out quit. Avery needs to come back now. He may be able to provide a spark.

There's nothing "okay" about this defense, and you contradict yourself in the second half of your statement. There's zero defensive effort on this team from anyone besides Garnett, and that isn't new to last night. It's a pattern with the season.

Everything is not fine. Danny has assembled a bunch of pieces that have not remotely fit together. This is a .500 team with little or no playoff future, with or without Avery Bradley, unless changes are made.

When you use lines like "there's zero defensive effort on this team from anyone besides Garnett," it's hard to take you seriously.  That kind of over the top hyperbole doesn't really add anything of substance.

Who do you think honestly plays hard on that end?  Serious question. 

« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2012, 02:50:28 PM »

Offline The_Truth

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 28
I will always cheer for the Celtics, but the way they are playing now is just sad. We don't have a championship caliber team even with Bradley and Cousins the roster. We could make a deep playoff run but I don't put my expectations too high. Hopefully they prove me wrong.

« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2012, 03:37:51 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

Who do you think honestly plays hard on that end?  Serious question.

I think there have been lapses from everyone, and moments were it looks like the effort is lacking.  I also think that when you are frustrated by the way you are playing, somehow you end up being a step slower, you end up losing your man more, and things pile up on you.

Overall, though, I don't think it's a lack of effort from anyone.  I think it's a lack of execution, confidence, and rhythm right now. 

Either way, I guess that point could be debated.  And, I can understand if fans look at this team right now and come to the conclusion that they aren't trying hard enough.  And, I know folks don't like these kinds of semantics, but when someone says "zero defensive effort," I take them literally.  Zero means zero.  That's obviously not the case.  You can question whether the team is putting out enough defense effort, but you can't realistically say it's at "zero."

Again, sorry for being so semantic, but these are just the kind of completely exaggerated comments that really bother me. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2012, 04:29:40 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Everything IS fine in the sense that this is really all you should have expected of this team.  Nothing is happening here that wasn't entirely predictable.  Some of you guys had this team winning 60+ which honestly sounded delusional at the time:  http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=59456.msg1296485#msg1296485

I guess that's what happens when you vastly overrate mediocre signings.  We replaced our 4th best player and best shooter with "backup shooting guard by committee" and arguably (according to most people here) the best of those backup shooting guards hasn't even made his season debut.  This roster didn't make sense before the season and doesn't make sense now.  Our 4th best player (Jeff Green) is being paid like a starter and coming off our bench.  Aside from KG, this team is filled with backup level bigs.  This was true before the season and it's true now.  Am I shocked that Collins is starting?... absolutely not. 

We're filled with redundant positions and heading towards a trade deadline where we are desperate to consolidate.  You simply had to look at the roster in August to know that was going to happen.  This seriously shouldn't be surprising to you.   This Boston team was below .500 mid season last year as well until roles were defined (by injury) and Kevin Garnett flipped a switch.  When all is said in done, we might win 45-50 games.  As far as I'm concerned, this season is going exactly like it logically should be going.   Still waiting for us to make a impact trade.  Still crossing my fingers that we catch a break in the playoffs like we did last year.  If everything falls into place, we could potentially make another little run towards the ECF.

« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2012, 04:39:22 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
Everything IS fine in the sense that this is really all you should have expected of this team.  Nothing is happening here that wasn't entirely predictable.  Some of you guys had this team winning 60+ which honestly sounded delusional at the time:  http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=59456.msg1296485#msg1296485

I guess that's what happens when you vastly overrate mediocre signings.  We replaced our 4th best player and best shooter with "backup shooting guard by committee" and arguably (according to most people here) the best of those backup shooting guards hasn't even made his season debut.  This roster didn't make sense before the season and doesn't make sense now.  Our 4th best player (Jeff Green) is being paid like a starter and coming off our bench.  Aside from KG, this team is filled with backup level bigs.  This was true before the season and it's true now.  Am I shocked that Collins is starting?... absolutely not. 

We're filled with redundant positions and heading towards a trade deadline where we are desperate to consolidate.  You simply had to look at the roster in August to know that was going to happen.  This seriously shouldn't be surprising to you.   This Boston team was below .500 mid season last year as well until roles were defined (by injury) and Kevin Garnett flipped a switch.  When all is said in done, we might win 45-50 games.  As far as I'm concerned, this season is going exactly like it logically should be going.   Still waiting for us to make a impact trade.  Still crossing my fingers that we catch a break in the playoffs like we did last year.  If everything falls into place, we could potentially make another little run towards the ECF.

I agree that 60 wins looks a bit unrealistic right now, but it's a little early to be posting "I told you so" threads. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2012, 04:45:47 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

I agree that 60 wins looks a bit unrealistic right now, but it's a little early to be posting "I told you so" threads.

Not really.  A couple people had this team winning 65.  That was crazy talk.  This team was and is a 45-50 win team on paper.  Our problem has been size since early 2011.  We haven't been a 60 win since 2009 when we had 4 hall of famers playing reasonably close to their prime. 

Fwiw, I also expected the Lakers to rip through the league and win 70+.  I'm thrilled I was wrong about that ;) ... so far, at least.  They still could turn it on at any point.

« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2012, 05:19:36 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
I have them with 48 wins. Also, in case you missed it, the title of the thread is sarcastic to the max.

« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2012, 06:56:37 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

Not really.  A couple people had this team winning 65.  That was crazy talk.  This team was and is a 45-50 win team on paper.  Our problem has been size since early 2011.  We haven't been a 60 win since 2009 when we had 4 hall of famers playing reasonably close to their prime. 

Fwiw, I also expected the Lakers to rip through the league and win 70+.  I'm thrilled I was wrong about that ;) ... so far, at least.  They still could turn it on at any point.

Nah, it's actually not too early to admit you we're wrong about the Lakers.  The math is pretty simple on that one.  They can't get to 70.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2012, 06:58:30 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Nah, it's actually not too early to admit you we're wrong about the Lakers.  The math is pretty simple on that one.  They can't get to 70.
It's not too early for me to admit I was wrong about the Lakers... which is why I'm admitting I was wrong about the Lakers.  :) ... There is still the possibility they could turn it on at any time and crank out 30 game win streak.  Too much talent if Dwight, Pau and Nash gets healthy.

The Celtics, though... everything is going like clockwork.  Average team on paper is average.

« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2012, 07:04:41 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

It's not too early for me to admit I was wrong about the Lakers... which is why I'm admitting I was wrong about the Lakers.  :) ... There is still the possibility they could turn it on at any time and crank out 30 game win streak.  Too much talent if Dwight, Pau and Nash gets healthy.

The Celtics, though... everything is going like clockwork.  Average team on paper is average.

I still think that when you have Rajon Rondo, Kevin Garnett, and Paul Pierce on your team, you've got considerably better than average talent.

Time will tell.  I just think it's too early to declare yourself as a soothsayer.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2012, 07:17:27 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

I still think that when you have Rajon Rondo, Kevin Garnett, and Paul Pierce on your team, you've got considerably better than average talent.

Time will tell.  I just think it's too early to declare yourself as a soothsayer.

Much of the predictions also hinged on us having an actual back-up center in Darko, that Terry would be coming off the bench, and that Lee would be starting alongside Rondo while Bradley was away, and that Doc would at least do something that at least passed as competent.

None of the above happened. In fact, just the opposite.

Terry is starting giving us an undersized guard position with Rondo, we have no real center on the roster (except Collins who should really be at most our 12/13th player on the depth chart), Lee is coming off the bench despite how good he's been playing during December, and pretty much all of Doc's decisions have been head-scratchers.

And then we have Bass who doesn't seem to be capable of hitting an open jump-shot in the whole season.

I found it funny that Lee struggled early in the season, and Doc panicked and yanked him from the starting unit after just a few games, yet Terry struggles a lot as a starter and Doc stubbornly keeps him there. Makes no sense. It seems like Doc has little patience when he actually makes a good decision, and is stubborn to keep a plan when a bad decision doesn't work...

« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2012, 07:19:18 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Well, in any event - this team will be fine about a month from now.

The return of Avery Bradley to our lineup/rotation will have immediate positive effects, and I'd even give him a week or two to hit his full stride with conditioning.

Not worried about this team at all - especially since it's not even January, yet.

Admittedly, I didn't expect us to be up and down like this late in December, but it's still way too early to count us out.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 07:36:54 PM by GreenFaith1819 »

« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2012, 08:07:16 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!
im not pickin on individual players
but when over half the team is shootin bad and no hustle on d we of course will lose. im more focus on the core..not jus rajon, kg and paul..Bass really gotta turn it on and we know he is capable of..playoffs last year showed me he was legit..and avery is def missed..and jeff..

in many ways Bass, Avery and Jeff are more important that the big 3...sully and lee are doin great..but are 2nd core is bass avery and jeff..we wont get far with out them

« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2012, 11:42:14 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
Well, in any event - this team will be fine about a month from now.

The return of Avery Bradley to our lineup/rotation will have immediate positive effects, and I'd even give him a week or two to hit his full stride with conditioning.

Not worried about this team at all - especially since it's not even January, yet.

Admittedly, I didn't expect us to be up and down like this late in December, but it's still way too early to count us out.

Yep. Probably win every game once Avery comes back.  ::)