Author Topic: A small trade I would love the Celtics to do  (Read 3562 times)

A small trade I would love the Celtics to do
« on: December 29, 2012, 07:34:23 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
BOS gets: Maggette and Will Bynum
DET gets: Green and Lee

It would get us out of both their deals and bring in two players that could really contribute.

Maggette is being wasted on Det bench right now. He could provide the offensive spark we were expecting to get from Green. He also has a great knack for getting to the FT line and getting the other team in foul trouble. I think that would be extremely beneficial come playoff time. Bynum is just a solid veteran backup PG that could give Rondo a rest without completely stagnating the offense.

Best of all, both players have expiring deals allowing us to move on from those dreadful contracts.

Re: A small trade I would love the Celtics to do
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 07:36:23 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2706

It would get us out of both their deals and bring in two players that could really contribute.

Maggette is being wasted on Det bench right now. He could provide the offensive spark we were expecting to get from Green. He also has a great knack for getting to the FT line and getting the other team in foul trouble. I think that would be extremely beneficial come playoff time. Bynum is just a solid veteran backup PG that could give Rondo a rest without completely stagnating the offense.

Best of all, both players have expiring deals allowing us to move on from those dreadful contracts.

That's an awful deal for us imo. Green is much better than Maggette, and Lee is much better than Bynum. If you are disappointed in Green and Lee under Doc, you would be extremely dejected with Maggette and Bynum under Doc.

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 07:49:16 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey

That's an awful deal for us imo. Green is much better than Maggette, and Lee is much better than Bynum. If you are disappointed in Green and Lee under Doc, you would be extremely dejected with Maggette and Bynum under Doc.

In 32 games (28 starts) at 27/mpg last season, Maggette got to the ft line 208 times = 6.5 apg

In 49 games (49 starts) at 37/mpg in the first half of 2011, Green got to the line 181 times = 3.7 apg

I think a player like this could play a huge role for us come playoff time. He's a solid rent-a-player to get out of the contracts of Green and Lee.

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 07:50:24 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Maggette is so bad....

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 07:51:30 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
This trade would be interesting as a salary cap reset, but it would make us quite a bit worse.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 07:53:33 PM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
No to Magette. Id rather take our chances with Lee than with Maggette who is a boneheaded ballhog.

Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 07:54:56 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
This trade would be interesting as a salary cap reset, but it would make us quite a bit worse.

The former is really what it's about to me. These contracts just plain stink. But I also believe it is addition by subtraction. Heck, waive Maggette if he doesn't work. Compress the roster with Bradley back in the fold and I believe this team will play better and have more defined roles. Meanwhile, we are out of those lousy deals.

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 07:56:04 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
Let me ask this:

Would Joe Dumars do this trade?

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 08:02:46 PM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
THrow in a hotdog sandwich with the works and a 2 liter bottle of soda then its a deal - Dumars
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 08:03:30 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2409

The former is really what it's about to me. These contracts just plain stink. But I also believe it is addition by subtraction. Heck, waive Maggette if he doesn't work. Compress the roster with Bradley back in the fold and I believe this team will play better and have more defined roles. Meanwhile, we are out of those lousy deals.
I don't think we are there yet.

I wouldn't be worried about Courtney Lee's deal. He'll be easy to offload if Danny ever wants to do that. More uncertainty about Jeff Green but it's probably.

So no need to rush into it. Give it more time.

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 08:07:11 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
I think Will Bynum would be a very good backup PG for Rondo.

He's a spark plug. Content and capable of operating in low minute scenarios. He'll be able to give the team a good 10-15 minutes a night in the regular season and 5-8 minutes a night in the postseason. A ball dominant PG who can create offense for himself and for others. More of a playmaker (drive and kick game) than a floor general (struggles to run an offense at times) but that is fine off the bench. Very aggressive. Competes hard every night. Plays with toughness.

As a cheaper option and a low minutes option, I think Will Bynum is one of the best options for Boston out there to backup Rondo. I'd love to see him find his way to Boston.

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2012, 08:08:28 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

I wouldn't be worried about Courtney Lee's deal. He'll be easy to offload if Danny ever wants to do that. More uncertainty about Jeff Green but it's probably.

Yup.  It's way to early to start making bad deals just to shed contracts.  Patience, patience.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2012, 08:11:51 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey

What makes you so sure we could unload Lee? A team could get more production from a journeyman SG ala Meeks for the minimum.

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2012, 08:18:48 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

What makes you so sure we could unload Lee? A team could get more production from a journeyman SG ala Meeks for the minimum.

Meeks can't play defense as well as Courtney Lee. He doesn't have as valuable a skill-set. Meeks is a journeyman SG who can be easily replaced.

Courtney Lee is a good two way player who is well regarded around the league. He won't bring all that much back but he is easily moveable.

Edit: The well regarded = C.Lee has been traded twice already. As a free agent, he had a long list of teams interested in him with at least a few offering comparable money as Boston did. As said in another thread, this is his fourth team and on every team he has been held in good esteem by his coaching staffs and organization as a whole.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 08:25:29 PM by Who »

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2012, 08:22:09 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
I despise Maggette but have always liked Bynum.  The Cs should have kept him when he was in camp years ago. He and his HS teammate Tony Allen are both tough minded guards that really compete.

Last night, Bynum singlehandedly held back a furiou Heat comeback attempt by throwing on a Superman cape and hitting all kind of pull up jumpers and drives to the hoop.  he's make a great backup PG/microwave type off the pine. 

Maggette makes sense as an expiring contract.  Dallas is praying that someone will take Marion's $9m salary next season so they can make a run at two max FAs (D Ho and CP3).  Ship Maggette's contract to Dallas and take back Marion,  and the Cs now have a roster that can better compete with the Heat.  An added benefit would be to weaken both LA teams if CP3 and Howard sign with the Mavs this summer. 

Dallas sends Marion to Boston and a pick to Detroit and gets Maggette's expiring $10m contract.

Boston sends Green and Lee to Detroit and get Marion and Bynum

Detroit loses Mags and Bynum and get Lee and Green along with a Dallas draft pick. 

You might have to tweak this trade with some flotsam to get it to work money wise, but it makes sense for all three teams. 

Boston gets two tough guys, a solid backup PG in Bynum, on an expiring deal, and a defensive minded Marion, who can play all three front court positions.  A lineup of KG, Marion, PP, AB and RR would be amazing defensively, and would also space out the floor quite nicely.  Boston's rotation all of a sudden makes a lot more sense. 

Dallas gets the cap space they desperately need this summer.

Detroit gets two relatively cost controlled players with ability at both ends. green might not be the best fit with Prince and Jerebko already on the roster, but would be a better trading piece than Maggette this summer (after building up his value putting up meaningless numbers in a low pressure situation in Detroit, something that fits Green well).