Author Topic: Celtics - 28 down, 54 to go  (Read 866 times)

Celtics - 28 down, 54 to go
« on: December 29, 2012, 02:16:34 PM »

Offline edwardjkasche

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 38
So, the team went 8-6 over their first 14 games, and most fans panicked.  In the very least, everyone was disappointed.  They’ve just gone 6-8 over their past 14 games.  What do we fans do now?  I’m not entirely sure.  Personally, I’m trying to zone out for a few weeks.  It’s tough because I love the Celtics, but I am not excited about this season’s team.  My feelings have very little to do with wins and losses.  Last season they were 15-17, but I still believed.  That team had a different feeling to it.  There were injuries to deal with, and a shortened season with multiple back-to-backs, but the team had spirit.  The same excuses don’t work this season.  I enjoy following teams that show passion and energy game-in, game-out.  Passion and energy are not two adjectives that describe this season’s Celtics team.  Two better adjectives are lazy and unfocused.  Am I supposed to rest all hope on young Avery Bradley?  Though I love Bradley’s game, and I understand how his return will set right a lot of the rotation issues, I cannot believe that his return will cure all ills for this team.

-  If there were a book written about the first 28 games of this Celtics’ season, it would have to be titled One Step Forward, Two Steps Back (or Meh!).  Even though the team currently sits at .500 (in 8th place in the East), they are light years away from competing for a championship.  And, every time we get an uplifting win, such as the defensive showing against the Nets on Christmas, it is immediately followed by a hollowing loss, such as the debacle against the Clippers.

- In keeping with this team’s struggles and inconsistent play, let me pose the following question: Has there been a more disappointing team this season that hasn’t yet fired its coach?  The Lakers were disappointing, and Mike Brown lost his job.  The Nets are disappointing (and 1/2 game ahead of the Celtics), and Avery Johnson lost his job.  There is no team left more disappointing than the Celtics that hasn’t already fired its coach.  Yet, Ainge just said yesterday that Doc is his man.  I don’t fault Ainge for that belief.  I’ve written numerous times on this site that if Doc retired or were fired I believe KG would immediately retire and Ainge would look into trading both Pierce and Rondo.  With Doc gone, this era of Celtics basketball would truly be over.

Do I believe Doc is doing a good job?  No, I don’t.  It’s tough to write that because Doc has done so much for this franchise over the past nine seasons, but there are glaring weaknesses that he has not shored up over the first 28 games.  He has done a poor job of incorporating Jason Terry.  He has Terry running Ray Allen’s old plays, and Terry and Allen share nothing in common except the position of SG.  Terry needs the ball in his hands to create.  Allen was best coming off screens and curls.  That is not Terry’s game, but that’s what Doc has him doing.  Terry needs the ball in his hands and a few dribbles to get his shot set, while Ray was all about catch-and-shoot.  Doc needs to get the ball in Terry’s hands more often.  Doc is also not utilizing Jeff Green’s strengths, sticking him in situations better suited for The Truth.  Green stands around in no man’s land half the time, and the other half Doc has him in isos.  Jeff Green is not a good isolation player.  He only goes one way (right) and he isn’t confident in his first step to get past a defender.  So, when Jeff Green isos you get one of two outcomes – drive to his right or jump shot.  He’s not a great jump shooter, so I’d say he’s not playing to his strengths here.  Green needs to be run off screens for cuts to the basket or he needs to sit weak side in the corner and dive towards the hoop for passes or follow-ups (or hit the corner threes).  A defensive guru needs to be hired to assist Doc in returning this defense to its glory.  Doc apparently knows nothing about defense because too often this team plays defense like the Warriors (oh, wait, the Warriors are actually playing defense this year!).  You can only have so many missed assignments, late rotations, and transition defensive breakdowns.  This all rests on Doc.  Also, Doc’s timeout plays, for which he is famous, have been underwhelming this year.  We all remember the two Rondo plays in the 76ers overtime game.  Ugh. 

Doc has been doing some things right.  He calls out the team when needed and defends them when needed.  I like his insertion of Collins into the starting lineup.  If you don’t like Collins’ insertion then tell Ainge to go find another 7-footer.  The team needs size, and Collins is the only one there to provide it.  I don’t care if his stat line is empty.  Against most teams, he plays solid defense and uses his fouls to deter drives to the basket.  I like how Doc has begun giving Bass’ (and Wilcox’s, for now) minutes to Sully, now that he knows the rookie can handle it.  This is a very important ongoing change for the team because Sully is the player of the future and Bass should now be trade-bait.

Now, this comes to the all-important big question: Do I believe Doc should be fired?  No.  I don’t recommend pulling the plug on this Celtics era mid-season.  If, however, at season’s end, the Celtics have either been bounced in the first round or (gulp!) missed the playoffs, then I do believe Ainge should seriously consider firing Doc and starting a new era.  Doc may have gotten all he’s ever going to get out of this group (including Rondo), and if that’s the case it’s time to move on.

- The most impressive player so far this season has been Sully.  He’s averaging 5.1ppg and 5.1rpg in 17mpg.  He’s the top offensive rebounder on the team, at 1.7 per game.  He’s even averaging more assists per game (.8 - this is supposed to say "point eight" but a smiley face keeps appearing) than turnovers (.6).  He is nearing Brandon Bass’ numbers (8ppg, 5.5rpg) in ten less minutes per game.  When he is on the court, the team has a physical presence.  Sully carves out space in the paint, goes up strong with the ball, boxes out his man, and even keeps Blake Griffin off the highlight reel.  I’d say his biggest fault so far is that he averages 3 fouls per game, but I put 1.5 of those on the refs.  He simply gets no respect at this point, but I can see that changing as he smartens up and refs recognize he’s in the right place at the right time more often than not.

Sully’s numbers don’t jump off the page, and he has hit the rookie wall a few times, but he is the lone Celtic bringing passion and energy every single time he steps on the court.  I can’t say the same for Rondo, KG, or The Truth.  It’s evident that Terry, Lee, Green, and Bass are either confused or disinterested.  Playing with passion and energy is the very least I ask for as a fan.

If I’m Ainge, I’m not trading Sully for anything less than a solid starting center (e.g. Varejao, Gortat, Gasol). 

- The player I am most disappointed by is Rondo.  Given my criteria, it cannot be hard to see why.  Yes, he has his flashy games (usually nationally televised, still) and is leading the league in assists, but if he truly wants to be the leader this team so desperately needs then he needs to bring A+ effort to every single game.  He doesn’t need to have an A+ game, but he needs to bring A+ effort.  There is a big difference there.  The Celtics still never know what they’ll get from Rondo on any given night.  That’s a shame at this point.

Rondo’s lack of aggressiveness driving to the hoop has disappointed me for years.  He is one of the game’s best ball handlers and has one of the quickest first steps, but there are some games where he just dribbles the ball above the 3-pt line possession after possession.  Rondo’s defense has also been underwhelming, but I’ve long been a believer that his defense is overrated.  He is too often lazy or complacent on the defensive end, and his lapses guarding guards leads to penetration and easy points in the paint and/or fouls on our big men.  Fans often blame the big men for late rotations, but it’s often Rondo’s (and Terry’s) fault for poor defense up top.

Rondo needs to step up night-in, night-out if he wants to be the leader of this team.  Honestly, the team needs him to step up night-in, night-out.

- On the trade block, everyone is discussing DeMarcus Cousins.  What happened to Varejao and Gortat?  Honestly, I’m not a fan of Cousins.  I don’t believe head cases are a good addition to any team, especially not one with the potentially-volatile Rondo and the passionately-disciplined KG.  Also, Cousins’ stats are a bit ballooned by his ball usage.  Yes, he averages 15ppg and 10rpg, but he also takes 14 shots per game and averages 3 turnovers per game and 4 fouls per game.  At 14 shots per game, he’d be second on our team, one behind Pierce.  Doc would not allow that to happen, and Cousins’ numbers would drop.  When that happens, who knows where his attitude would go.  He would also be averaging the second-most turnovers (behind Rondo) and the most fouls.  If Cousins can be gotten for the likes of Bass and Lee, without trading Sully or Bradley, then I would be ok with the deal, but I am not actively hoping that Ainge goes all-out for Cousins.  Now, if we were discussing Varejao, then maybe I’d sing a different tune. 

- Their upcoming schedule is no cake walk.  They only have two back-to-backs over the next fourteen games, but they play eight playoff teams, including the Knicks twice.  They do have a string of five home games over a week-and-a-half against the likes of the Suns, Rockets, Bobcats, Hornets, and Bulls.  Those are five games they need to win (I’ll accept 4-1).  They need to take both games from the Knicks if they’ll have any chance of winning the Atlantic.  I don’t think that’s likely as the Knicks have more big-game scorers and team chemistry at this point.  I’m hoping for 10-4 over the next fourteen, but I’ll settle for another 8-6 stretch.

- Last time, I wrote that there was nothing to fret over being 8-6.  How do I feel about 14-14?  Disinterested.  If this team doesn’t start bringing passion and energy to their games, then I don’t see why we fans should care. 

Re: Celtics - 28 down, 54 to go
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 05:25:37 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

- In keeping with this team’s struggles and inconsistent play, let me pose the following question: Has there been a more disappointing team this season that hasn’t yet fired its coach?  The Lakers were disappointing, and Mike Brown lost his job.  The Nets are disappointing (and 1/2 game ahead of the Celtics), and Avery Johnson lost his job.  There is no team left more disappointing than the Celtics that hasn’t already fired its coach. 

No, I can't see anyone else under-performing like the Celtics have been.

It's a good thing Doc has a strong track record with this group of players and organization. Otherwise, one could easily see Doc being in the same firing line as Mike Brown and Avery Johnson. His past and recent successes save Doc from that type of scrutiny.

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 05:31:11 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Now, this comes to the all-important big question: Do I believe Doc should be fired?  No.  I don’t recommend pulling the plug on this Celtics era mid-season.  If, however, at season’s end, the Celtics have either been bounced in the first round or (gulp!) missed the playoffs, then I do believe Ainge should seriously consider firing Doc and starting a new era.  Doc may have gotten all he’s ever going to get out of this group (including Rondo), and if that’s the case it’s time to move on.

If the Celtics fail this post-season, I think it will be more of a case of the team just not having it anymore, or, injuries. I don't think it'll be because of Doc. I think it'll be more of an indictment of the players.

I am struggling to see a scenario where the team would get a big upgrade by firing Doc and replacing Doc with someone else.

I do fully agree that no decision should be made in-season and any decision on a possible coaching change should be left until the summer.

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 05:37:01 PM »

Offline Smutzy#9

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
pretty sure at least 3-4 of our losses have come from game winning/missing shots though so there is that upside. its not like we are getting blown out every night.

That being said pretty sure we squandered decent leads to lose those games :(

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 05:58:35 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

Do I believe Doc is doing a good job?  No, I don’t.  It’s tough to write that because Doc has done so much for this franchise over the past nine seasons, but there are glaring weaknesses that he has not shored up over the first 28 games.  He has done a poor job of incorporating Jason Terry.  He has Terry running Ray Allen’s old plays, and Terry and Allen share nothing in common except the position of SG.  Terry needs the ball in his hands to create.  Allen was best coming off screens and curls.  That is not Terry’s game, but that’s what Doc has him doing.  Terry needs the ball in his hands and a few dribbles to get his shot set, while Ray was all about catch-and-shoot.  Doc needs to get the ball in Terry’s hands more often.

I agree and share your desire for Doc to give Jason Terry more responsibility and freedom offensively to create especially off the dribble in pick and rolls.

But, in addition to being a strong pick and roll creator, Terry has been a very effective transition scorer + spot up shooter + catch and shoot player. Dallas ran a lot of catch and shoot coming off screen plays for Terry over the years. That is his game too.

Doc needs to incorporate all sides of Terry's scoring potential. Not just one or the other. The catch and shoot plays should remain part of the Celtics playbook but Terry needs more ball-handling and pick and roll action in addition to his current responsibilities.