Poll

Who's the better center?

Fab Melo
28 (75.7%)
Jason Collins
9 (24.3%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Voting closed: January 05, 2013, 12:12:23 PM

Author Topic: Fab Melo or Jason Collins  (Read 5844 times)

Fab Melo or Jason Collins
« on: December 29, 2012, 12:12:23 PM »

Offline Rtpas11

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
I've been thinking Fab Melo is Big & Slow but has potential. Lots of upside for this kid. He reminds me of Omer Asik. Asik was also an off the bench center for the bulls, but when giving the opportunity to start, get comfortable while making a lot of mistakes, he has grown in to top 10 NBA Centers just 30 games in the season.

Fab needs a shot at the Big League. He needs to be able to make his mistakes also & grow comfortably as a center. With all these new trade rumors, ideas etc... i'm wondering if he'll be shipped out before giving him a strong long look. Doc is an okay coach, not the greatest but we have to deal with him because he's surely isn't going anywhere. I realized if Doc goes, then K.G. goes then the Celtics fold & Danny will also be let go. Doc is here to stay for yrs. to come.

When will our Doc Rivers try to experiment with inexperience? What's the worse that could happen? losing, be a .500 team ??? ;D

Anyhow Jason Collins to me is not a better player than Melo, especially now. What's your opinion.

The Polls are open:

Re: Fab Melo or Jason Collins
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 12:30:34 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Fab Melo to me.

Collins is nothing more than a 3rd string Center now. Plays tough and that's about it.

Melo's defensive instincts is already way better, and he's a very underrated jump shooter. He might not hit 50% all the time, but with shooting stroke, you can't leave him open around  15-17 feet. He's displaying a good go to hook shot now as well. I know it's the D-League, but he's displaying more stuff than Collins did in his career.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 12:34:43 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I went with Jason Collins. I trust him to do his job when he is out there.

I haven't seen much of Fab Melo but he has looked like a lost puppy dog out there when I have seen him. I would've liked to see him get a run in the team but I don't have much (hardly any) confidence in him as a contributor this season.

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 12:36:54 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
Melo is the better player than Collins right now, that is true.

But, Melo could get even better, and bringing him up now would severely impede his development. So, I say Collins.

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 12:40:44 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Jason Collins, despite all the pro Melo hype he played 20 minutes the other night and got just 1 rebound and two points and four blocks.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/20121123/MNECTN/gameinfo.html#nbaGIboxscore

Collins may not show up in the stat sheet but he would not be as lost as Melo in our defensive sets.   Collins has helped our defensive intregrity some.   I think Melo would get pushed around and be out of position.     He is improving some in the DL but he is not ready.  Kris Joseph is more ready than him and gets as many RPG.

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 01:04:46 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
in the long term, Melo should be better than collins by a long shot.

BUT,

right now he's just developing his nba game offensively/defensively...by the end of the season he might be able to contribute.

But I would fear stunting his growth by bringing him up now to ride the bench(unless doc gives him meaningful playing time)

look at how long it took bradley to gain confidence/develop into an NBA player

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 01:47:09 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
I went with Jason Collins. I trust him to do his job when he is out there.

I haven't seen much of Fab Melo but he has looked like a lost puppy dog out there when I have seen him. I would've liked to see him get a run in the team but I don't have much (hardly any) confidence in him as a contributor this season.

This.  You can count on Collins to be at the right place at the right time, and also to do nothing spectacular when he gets there.  With Melo, you just don't know either way, which means he's not ready for prime time.

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 02:13:59 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
in the long term, Melo should be better than collins by a long shot.

BUT,

right now he's just developing his nba game offensively/defensively...by the end of the season he might be able to contribute.

I concur with this completely.

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 04:32:02 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Fab is developing faster than I thought, he was off to slow start , he is quiet type nice kid.

He seems to have finally decided to step it up last few games.

Rebounding positoning is his weakness.  If he can reach the ball, he doesn't mind putting the effort in.

He just needs to learn to react to the ball , to give himself the best chance a rebound.  I want to see Fab work "HARD" on offense rebounds and put backs. 

Mello playing 35 minutes a night in D league is much better than riding the bench with the Celtics. At some point yes , he'll be better off learning from the big boys and getting minutes with the Celtics, but he an't ready yet. No need to screw him up .

FAb just needs a million hours of court time , all he can get . 

So right now I'd play Collins on the Celtics and keep Fab working in Maine.

By years end or beginning of nxt season , Fab should be giving some really meaningful minutes as a backup .

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 04:47:42 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
Doc is starting Collins because he's desperate for some paint presence on defense.  Doc is also trying to get his team to play defense the right way.  Giving Melo rotation minutes now, when he's not ready, wouldn't allow the team to tighten up their defense. 

However, if they can't make a move the next three weeks, I wouldn't be surprised if they bring Melo up and force feed him minutes.  By then, the rest of the new players should be oon the same page.  Having one unsure guy out there on defense for 18 mpg isn't going to kill a 7th seed type team in the regular season. 

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 09:19:20 AM »

Offline Rtpas11

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
Jason Collins Last 5 Games
He's avg. More Fouls than Pts & Rebs. & we really expect to win??? A trade is going to happen. It has to. I doubt the Hornets will make a trade now since they look great after getting Eric Gordon back.

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2012, 09:34:20 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I agree that melo isn't ready and that he needs to get big minutes in the Dleague to develop his game, calling him up now would bury to the bench and he needs those game minutes.

However, were playing collins 17 minutes a night to get zeros, literally zeroes!, across the stat sheet. Couldn't melo at least get those minutes, learn, an make a more positive impact somehow? Just thinking out loud.

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2012, 10:04:11 AM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
It's frustrating to see Mark Jackson start Festus Ezeli, the 30th pick of the 2012 draft, and actually get some decent paint presence out of him, even though Ezeli tends to look terrible when he tries to do anything more than rebound, box out, defend, and try to block shots. 

He's playing only 16 minutes a game, and has some serious holes in his game  (39% FT shooter, but he gives the Warriors an answer while Bogut continues to mend. 

I'm hoping Melo can come in and do this type of thing the second half of the season if Ainge can't make a roster move to bring in a big body who is a bit more uncorpselike than Jason Collins. 

To be fair to Collins, he's decent as a big body who mucks it up and fouls.  His role is as a 12th guy who plays in games where you need to foul the opposing center a bunch of times.  Starting him is using him in a role where he doesn't have the ability for long term success.   

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2012, 10:27:32 AM »

Offline celtics2

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 42
Choose your poison.

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2012, 10:37:03 AM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Jason Collins, despite all the pro Melo hype he played 20 minutes the other night and got just 1 rebound and two points and four blocks.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/20121123/MNECTN/gameinfo.

Well if your going to pick one of his bad games, I'll pick one of his good ones. 

http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/20121222/ERIMNE/gameinfo.html#nbaGIboxscore

Triple double with 14 blocks.   Yep, fourt freakin teen blocks!
And he's scored in double figures in 4 of his last 5. 

He needs work sure but he is getting it & in short order he'll be a top NBA center.  Mark my words