Poll

Who's the better center?

Fab Melo
28 (75.7%)
Jason Collins
9 (24.3%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Voting closed: January 05, 2013, 12:12:23 PM

Author Topic: Fab Melo or Jason Collins  (Read 5836 times)

Re: Fab Melo or Jason Collins
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2012, 11:05:41 AM »

Offline lantinm

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 38
Personally, I cringed when Danny signed Jason Collins. He brings NOTHING to the table.  I know that he's a big body and some might say that he's a decent post-defender, but he's not helping us at all.  From what I've recently read, Fab has gotten much better with his rotations and defensive assignments.  If that's truly the case, then we really should bring him up.  His shot-blocking/ability to change shots, would make world of difference for us.  He can also score and is a better rebounder than Collins.  People seem to be so worried that Melo is constantly going to miss assignments and give up layups, and to that I say:  Collins is already getting beat like a drum -- so what is the difference?

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2012, 02:18:53 PM »

Offline Rtpas11

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
I agree that melo isn't ready and that he needs to get big minutes in the Dleague to develop his game, calling him up now would bury to the bench and he needs those game minutes.

However, were playing collins 17 minutes a night to get zeros, literally zeroes!, across the stat sheet. Couldn't melo at least get those minutes, learn, an make a more positive impact somehow? Just thinking out loud.

this is exactly what this thread is about... All i'm saying is, why not just try the kid? If it doesn't work out then send him back thats all. I still don't understand the signing of that new guy Varnado. My 1st thought with him signing was "Why? so he could sit on the bench". Doc don't play guys unless forced to. Look at what happened to Greg Steisma... He was sign didn't play a lick until who was it Shelden, Wilcox or Jermaine that went down. smh

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2012, 02:32:08 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 411
I would leave Melo in the D-league for now. Let him get some experience and playing time to learn. He not going to learn sitting on the bench.
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2012, 02:46:27 PM »

Offline The_Truth

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 28
Fab Melo no discussion.

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2012, 05:26:22 PM »

Offline Lechoke Lames

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 3
Jason Collins, despite all the pro Melo hype he played 20 minutes the other night and got just 1 rebound and two points and four blocks.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/20121123/MNECTN/gameinfo.html#nbaGIboxscore

It's interesting that you mention this game, because Jason Collins "leads" all centers in NBA history in a very similar stat. He has the most games among all NBA centers with 1 rebound or less, 2 points or less and 30 minutes or more.

Melo is the better center.

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2012, 05:27:24 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
Melo Melo Melo Melo Melo! Hell, one armed Melo over Collins.

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2012, 05:29:49 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
I almost think I'd rather Melo stay in the D League rather than become Doc's new whipping boy.

Mike

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2012, 05:33:28 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
If they put in Melo what's the worst that could happen? Lose games to young losing teams by 20 points?

Even if he wets the bed it will teach him how far he has to go. As long as he doesn't go all psycho trauma on us there's nothing wrong with some tough love. See how he responds. He needs to learn the game and we need to learn about him.

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2012, 05:35:38 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
I almost think I'd rather Melo stay in the D League rather than become Doc's new whipping boy.

Mike

hahaa TP  ;D

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2012, 05:45:30 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
That's a tough choice.  I'd take Darko or Birdman over either of them.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2012, 05:55:57 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1642
Neither.  Bench Collins, leave Melo in the D-League where he can grow, and find somebody else who can come in and do the job.

« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2012, 06:26:11 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
leave Melo to play ball in the D league, he would be over his head with most of the centers he would meet. We are hearing good things .  When he starts averageing a triple double and has a few 40 point scoring night in a row. Then we'll see.....I will say one thing, Melo has a nice free throw that will serve him well. and his jumper is smooth with nice form even if he is not accurate yet, that will come with hours of court time and practice in the gym.

Collins moves with the speed of molasses and near zero offensive ability.

« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2012, 06:35:18 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Letting Melo get more experience and growing is more important for the Celtics then watching him struggle on the bench. 

« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2012, 06:40:29 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I do want Melo to continue to get minutes and develop. However, I really doubt Collins playing against D3 competition could put up the numbers Melo has in D-League. I say this half jokingly.

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2013, 06:59:38 AM »

Offline Rtpas11

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
Why aren't we calling up Fab???

p.s.

Terry, Green & Lee are useless the more they play the worse their value would become. trade them now.