Author Topic: Sources: Celtics extremely interested in Demarcus Cousins  (Read 29014 times)

Re: Sources: Celtics extremely interested in Demarcus Cousins
« Reply #105 on: December 29, 2012, 03:02:02 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
If you can keep Melo and Lee you do this. A front line of Melo and DMC would give you a very nice combo of defense, offense and length on the future front line and Lee is a solid backcourt partner with Rondo. Then you need a solid SF and we can move towards the next contending team should DMC pull his head out

« Reply #106 on: December 29, 2012, 04:03:35 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Still don't understand why Sacramento would want Bradley with Evans, Thornton, Thomas and Brooks already there. I think Bradley has great upside but at this point he is an injury risk and shows nothing more offensively than any of those four players can give the Kings.

Unless the Kings are going to change their entire thinking on how to construct a team, they value offensive players not defensive.

Shut up, Nick! You're gonna scare them off!
LOL...yeah because we all know how much Geoff Petrie respects my opinion.

Well he's been getting terrible advice from someone, judging from the way that team is drowning. I've been telling everyone I know how awesome Avery Bradley would be for the Kings, in the hopes of finding the anonymous source of Petrie's terrible advice.
I think you are mistaking my advice to Petrie for that of KC and StartOrien's

« Reply #107 on: December 29, 2012, 04:05:23 PM »

Offline sdceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 45
Still don't understand why Sacramento would want Bradley with Evans, Thornton, Thomas and Brooks already there. I think Bradley has great upside but at this point he is an injury risk and shows nothing more offensively than any of those four players can give the Kings.

Unless the Kings are going to change their entire thinking on how to construct a team, they value offensive players not defensive.

Ummm, because he's a better defender than any of them when healthy. They can make more than one trade if they want.

There is no way we are getting Cousins without a package that includes both AB and Sully, and probably Melo + a pick.

Bradley isn't playing and we are a .500 ball club, with KG playing heavy minutes at Center. Cousins is the piece we are missing.

Thin the herd, improve the starting lineup by A LOT, and develop and 8-9 man rotation that Doc is still having trouble doing

« Reply #108 on: December 29, 2012, 04:09:26 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
"Among potential suitors, there is a growing belief that GM Geoff Petrie would be willing to part ways with Cousins in exchange for a quality veteran player or two who could bring instant improvement."

Raise your hand if you'd part with Paul Pierce in order to nab Cousins.

*raises hand*

Pierce is my favorite player on the team.  I love the guy.  I'd have to do that if I was the Celtics GM.  Pretty much fixes our main roster issue.

PG - Rondo
SG - Lee/Jet/Bradley/Barbosa
SF - Green (getting paid starter money anyways)
PF - KG
C - Cousins

« Reply #109 on: December 29, 2012, 04:16:49 PM »

Offline sdceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 45
"Among potential suitors, there is a growing belief that GM Geoff Petrie would be willing to part ways with Cousins in exchange for a quality veteran player or two who could bring instant improvement."

*raises hand*

Pierce is my favorite player on the team.  I love the guy.  I'd have to do that if I was the Celtics GM.  Pretty much fixes our main roster issue.

PG - Rondo
PF - KG
C - Cousins

Can't Pierce veto that trade? What a backstab.

« Reply #110 on: December 29, 2012, 04:19:36 PM »

Offline twistedrico14

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 8
I would never ever give up Avery Bradley in this deal. No way.

« Reply #111 on: December 29, 2012, 04:20:42 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

*raises hand*

PG - Rondo
PF - KG
C - Cousins

I wouldn't do it.  That's not just sentiment talking.  I think ultimately that trade would hurt our team this season.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #112 on: December 29, 2012, 04:21:43 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Somebody get Petrie drunk and get him to do a COusins for Lee/Sullinger deal. Who's voluntering?

« Reply #113 on: December 29, 2012, 04:24:24 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
There are two ways to approach getting two matching sides to a trade (actually probalby more than two but two relevant to Cousins I think).

One is to match up talent with talent within the financial constraints of salary caps.  In this case, Cousins only makes $3.8M so it is hard to match that up.  The Sullinger, Bradley, Melo package probably doesn't do it (too much potential vs. established value) so you need to look at the other way of matching up.

The other way is to take back overpaid junk.  In this case that could be Salmons or maybe Outlaw and several others.  In order for this to work for the Celtics, I think they need to expand it.  Something like:

Green, Lee, Bradley, Sullinger (or Melo?)

Cousins, Evans, Salmons

In order for this to work, they need to believe that Green is worth something and that Evans is leaving anyway.  It is kind of

Green + Lee = Cousins (they are saying they want more established vets)
Bradley + Sullinger = Evans (this is really good value for them)
And we take Salmons to save them money and we would need someone to replace Greeen.

There are many other possible combinations but I think this is the type of deal that would be needed for it to work.

« Reply #114 on: December 29, 2012, 04:25:53 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

*raises hand*

PG - Rondo
PF - KG
C - Cousins

Techically, no, Pierce could not veto the trade.  Effectively, he probably could.  It's rumored he put the kibosh on a potential deal to the Nets last trade deadline.

Pierce would probably threaten to not report.

Aside from that, I find the idea of trading Pierce to Sacramento for Cousins sacreligious.  Hypothectically, it is a decent starting point for a trade, but not something I could ever see Wyc allowing.

« Reply #115 on: December 29, 2012, 04:32:31 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

*raises hand*

PG - Rondo
PF - KG
C - Cousins

Techically, no, Pierce could not veto the trade.  Effectively, he probably could.  It's rumored he put the kibosh on a potential deal to the Nets last trade deadline.

Pierce would probably threaten to not report.

Aside from that, I find the idea of trading Pierce to Sacramento for Cousins sacreligious.  Hypothectically, it is a decent starting point for a trade, but not something I could ever see Wyc allowing.

Yea, I don't see the Kings trading Cousins for a guy who has maybe 1 more year left in the league and would retire if he gets traded to their team. When they say veteran, I don't think they mean old veteran. Heck, Ryan Anderson and Glen Davis are considered veterans now.

« Reply #116 on: December 29, 2012, 04:37:45 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175

*raises hand*

PG - Rondo
PF - KG
C - Cousins

Ill have to keep my hands down on this one....the celtics cant win a championship anytime soon without Pierce, so its not quite worth giving up a life long celtic unless youre going to blow it up and get rid of KG as well and rebuild and that aint happening

« Reply #117 on: December 29, 2012, 04:42:03 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

*raises hand*

PG - Rondo
PF - KG
C - Cousins

Ill have to keep my hands down on this one....the celtics cant win a championship anytime soon without Pierce, so its not quite worth giving up a life long celtic unless youre going to blow it up and get rid of KG as well and rebuild and that aint happening

Not to mention that KG would most likely retire if you trade Pierce.

« Reply #118 on: December 29, 2012, 04:42:47 PM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Everyone forgot one thing. This trade will not happen unless Cousins is on board with coming here. If he's gonna be a petulant child there's no chance of him coming here. Danny is not that stupid. So the ball is in his court essentially. Chris Paul made it very clear he wanted no part of Boston. And the trade never happened. That's a big piece no one is mentioning.

The other thing that needs to be looked at is the more he sulks and acts up the lower his value drops. The Kings are on the clock. They need to make a move because this wont end well for them if they stand put. So Demarcus or his agent if your reading this keep up the petulant child act. And do your part. The nastier you make it the less we have to give up. Welcome to Boston!

« Reply #119 on: December 29, 2012, 04:44:39 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
Everyone forgot one thing. This trade will not happen unless Cousins is on board with coming here. If he's gonna be a petulant child there's no chance of him coming here. Danny is not that stupid. So the ball is in his court essentially. Chris Paul made it very clear he wanted no part of Boston. And the trade never happened. That's a big piece no one is mentioning.

The other thing that needs to be looked at is the more he sulks and acts up the lower his value drops. The Kings are on the clock. They need to make a move because this wont end well for them if they stand put. So Demarcus or his agent if your reading this keep up the petulant child act. And do your part. The nastier you make it the less we have to give up. Welcome to Boston!

I just don't see Cousins not wanting to come to Boston and play for Doc Rivers and a winning franchise. The guy has his flaws, but he wants to win, and there are not many better situations for him to win.