Author Topic: Sources: Celtics extremely interested in Demarcus Cousins  (Read 29049 times)

Re: Sources: Celtics extremely interested in Demarcus Cousins
« Reply #60 on: December 29, 2012, 10:15:17 AM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
Jeez, I go to sleep for a few hours and you guys compile a 4-page thread on a top trade prospect.

I guess I better get to reading.

« Reply #61 on: December 29, 2012, 10:16:36 AM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
Would you do something like this?

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=btvqe6e

No, and neither would Sacramento.  What does Pierce + two low-end prospects do for them?

I read somewhere they were asking for a veteran player

I haven't read that report, but my guess is that by "veteran" they mean somebody who has been in the league for a few years and has established themselves, rather than 35 year old on his way out of the league in the next couple of years.

I think that Pierce would refuse to report to Sacramento if he was ever traded there

Yeah, like someone who is in that 24-27 year old bracket (rather than a 35 year old).

Someone who has established themselves as a star but is still young enough for the team to build around for the next 5-8 years. To build a title contender around.

Edit: Like when Sacramento acquired Chris Webber. He was 25 years old then. They are looking for something like that. Someone who can turn around the team and get them back to winning ways immediately but still be young enough to build around long term.

Hey! Courtney Lee and Brandon Bass fits the bill!  ;D

lol yeah, we wish.

« Reply #62 on: December 29, 2012, 10:21:12 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

Yeah, like someone who is in that 24-27 year old bracket (rather than a 35 year old).

Someone who has established themselves as a star but is still young enough for the team to build around for the next 5-8 years. To build a title contender around.

Batum + Leonard

for

Cousins + (Thornton / Tyreke)

I can't tell if that deal is about even, or wildly unbalanced.

I think that is a steal for Portland but that is only because I am still not really sold on Nic Batum as a star player. So maybe I am undervaluing it.

I'd love to see Cousins + L.Aldridge together. I think they'd be a great combination. Oh, and Lillard too. Fantastic trio to build their squad around. Portland should pursue that strongly.

Maybe Portland could include their 1st round pick too if they needed too. That should be a lottery selection. Weak draft class may hurt that pick's value though. Maybe another smaller asset also.

« Reply #63 on: December 29, 2012, 10:23:41 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Anyone else concerned that Cousins is only shooting 41% this year?(21st among centers) and 43% for his career?

For comparison to centers that are similar talent level

Al Jefferson - 49% career fgs
Marc Gasol   - 52% career fgs
Brooke Lopez - 50% career fgs
Al Hordord   - 54% career fgs
A  Varajeo   - 51% career fg's(48%this year bigger role)
Marcin Gortat- 55% career fgs(53% this year)

Add to it that Cousins isn't really a rim protector and has a really crappy attitude.

If we are really in the win now mode I would rather have Varajeo or Gortat and they likely wouldn't demand as much back in return as Sacramento would for cousins.

« Reply #64 on: December 29, 2012, 10:28:47 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Would you do something like this?

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=btvqe6e

No, and neither would Sacramento.  What does Pierce + two low-end prospects do for them?

I read somewhere they were asking for a veteran player

I haven't read that report, but my guess is that by "veteran" they mean somebody who has been in the league for a few years and has established themselves, rather than 35 year old on his way out of the league in the next couple of years.

I think that Pierce would refuse to report to Sacramento if he was ever traded there

From Stein

There’s a growing sense among potential suitors that under-fire Kings general manager Geoff Petrie, who has overseen zero trips to the playoffs under five coaches in the six-plus seasons since Rick Adelman left town, would be willing to move Cousins, preferably in exchange for a dependable veteran of quality or two who could bring some instant improvement to a franchise stuck in lottery land and still plagued by an uncertain future in terms of where this team will be calling home in the long term….

Anyway you're right: Pierce would certainly refuse

I think Jeff Green would fit that description, and maybe even Avery Bradley.  Would that instantly improve Sacramento?  I don't know.  I don't know if Cousins instantly improves Boston.  Part of me is very scared of a guy like him.  Thought you would think KG would put him in line.

« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2012, 10:34:27 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
I don't see us trading any veterans because we don't have any expiring contracts that the Kings would want. I don't see the Kings wanting to take back contracts like Bass, Lee, Green or Terry while giving up DeMarcus Cousins in the process.

Also, I don't see Detroit trading either Drummond or Monroe for Cousins and I honestly believe they are best off by staying pat. Cousins would be in virtually the same situation in Detroit as he would be in Sacramento.

I think the best offer we can make is Bradley, Sullinger, Melo and a 2013 1st for DeMarcus Cousins. If Sacramento is insistent on us taking back a bad contract, something like this would work: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=crmgoo6

I don't think it's just expiring contracts they want, but also solid vets to improve the culture and establish some continuity.  I'm actually hopeful that they might go for one or two of Danny's mid-level type guys.

« Reply #66 on: December 29, 2012, 10:45:19 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Detriot has the edge if they are willing to part with expiring contract Maggette and take on Garcia.

Pistons get: Cousins, Garcia
Kings get: Correy Maggette, Drummond and a Piston 2013 1st rounder

The Celtics couldn't comnpete with that offer.

Agreed. Would be surprised if Detroit gave up that much though.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #67 on: December 29, 2012, 10:49:52 AM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
I watched the last quarter of the Kings' buzzer-beating victory over the Knicks last night.  Cousins was horrendous  on offense, throwing up some ridiculous shots, and not understanding how to use his strength against a great defender, Chandler.  He made a bunch of critical mistakes, but he was putting out maximum effort to make hustle plays - hitting the glass hard at both ends, trying for steals, etc. 

He made a crucial tip out on an offensive rebound with a second left, and that play led to the miracle three at the buzzer by bricklayer James Johnson.

One thing that stood out in watching DMC is that if he wants to do something, like get to an offensive rebound, he's  going to get to it.  Whether he fumbles it out of bounds, or  runs over two opponents, is another matter.

There's a bunch of natural talent and athleticism there. He's like a big man version of a young Tony Allen on the court. Half the time you say "Why did he do that?" and the rest of the time you say "How did he do that?" but at the end of the game you wonder if the ups and downs are worth it.     

« Reply #68 on: December 29, 2012, 11:00:43 AM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
I don't know why Detroit would trade Drummond, who has the same size and athletic ability as DMC. Drummond is averaging 8 and 8 in 20 mpg in December, and now that Frank is giving him steady minutes, he's putting up double doubles (3 in the last 4 games). 

Drummond is a way better shot blocker, and probably already a better defender than DMC.  Drummond doesn't take jump shots, which I prefer over a guy who likes to take them (and misses 7 out of 10). 

If Detroit is going to trade Drummond for DMC, it's going to be straight up.  I don't see Cousins having that much more value that Detroit's going to have to give up a pick too.  If Drummond is offered to Sacto, Petrie should jump on that deal.   

« Reply #69 on: December 29, 2012, 11:07:49 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
I watched the last quarter of the Kings' buzzer-beating victory over the Knicks last night.  Cousins was horrendous  on offense, throwing up some ridiculous shots, and not understanding how to use his strength against a great defender, Chandler.  He made a bunch of critical mistakes, but he was putting out maximum effort to make hustle plays - hitting the glass hard at both ends, trying for steals, etc. 

He made a crucial tip out on an offensive rebound with a second left, and that play led to the miracle three at the buzzer by bricklayer James Johnson.

One thing that stood out in watching DMC is that if he wants to do something, like get to an offensive rebound, he's  going to get to it.  Whether he fumbles it out of bounds, or  runs over two opponents, is another matter.

There's a bunch of natural talent and athleticism there. He's like a big man version of a young Tony Allen on the court. Half the time you say "Why did he do that?" and the rest of the time you say "How did he do that?" but at the end of the game you wonder if the ups and downs are worth it.     

Yea ..he is wild alot, but he hasn't had KG and PP barking in his ear either.  He needs to be reined in and retaught how to play team basketball. 

I think Doc and KG could go along way in getting him to mature....and also ...at 22 ..face it alot of guy s including myself were not really grown up .  Cousins is a huge man with the maturity of a 16 year old with hormones going beserk.

Cousins like ZBO needs the right place and "TIME" to mature or settle down. But , you gotta love the energy and drive he has.  Once he can focus , he will be great.

Doc , is a people person, thats his best asset, like Phil Jackson. I think he'll do what Doc says and learn NOT to ask why...this is what makes giving up AB and Sully so hard ...they are class acts already.

« Reply #70 on: December 29, 2012, 11:34:10 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Three words on this thread...DONT DO IT,

It is time for the Cs to build through the draft and free agency, no quick fix trades, unless you want to trade Doc for Thibs.

To those who say we should trade Sully Bradley and  and anyone of Green Bass OR Melo for Cousins, who or what are we going to play the rest of the season with? This just does not make much basketball sense.

You cannot trade solid players for a headcase.

Finally, those that include Jet in trade deals, what do you intend to do with his leprechaun tattoo?

« Reply #71 on: December 29, 2012, 11:36:49 AM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86

Kings owners Joe and Gavin Maloof remain reluctant to part with troubled DeMarcus Cousins despite his recent suspension for arguing with coach Keith Smart, according to ESPN.com.
Although the Maloofs may be hesitant, the Kings would have suitors if they chose to move on from DMC, who looked pretty unhappy in Friday's game against the Knicks. Front-office sources told ESPN.com the Celtics and Pistons, among others, would be interested in dealing for the mercurial big man if he became available. The Cousins trade rumors are sure to only get louder as the trade deadline approaches and in the end, a trade might be best for both parties.
Related: Pistons, Celtics
Source: ESPN.com Dec 29 - 9:11 AM

« Reply #72 on: December 29, 2012, 11:39:23 AM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
Melo, Bradley, and Sully doesn't get it done.  Bradley is one of the best prospects Sactown can get, but Sully isn't attractive enough and Melo is just plain raw.  I could see Sacramento do this if they wanted to rebuild, but the problem is, they are already rebuilding WITH Cousins.

To get Cousins, it's going to take a lot.  The guy has the POTENTIAL to be the best center in the game, and despite his issues, you need more than a young asset and two unproven rookies to get him.

Personally, I don't want Cousins.  Don't get me wrong, I think he's uber talented, but those off-the-court problems and attitude could make him a really talented Patrick O'Bryant.  You know, where KG just totally ignores him?  I fear that the locker room gives up on him if he doesn't change his mindset.  If he did end up coming here though, I like him and Rondo being our foundation for the future.  But again, too risky.

« Reply #73 on: December 29, 2012, 11:50:24 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think a package of Melo, Sullinger and Green and picks  could land Cousins and Salmons.

I keep seeing people saying that the Kings would want Bradley but they already have Thornton and Evans as SGs and Thomas and Brooks as PGs. Thornton and Evans are two of their best scorers and Thomas and Brooks are decent PGs under their control for cheap.

I don't see the Kings wanting to add another guard to a crowded guard rotation.

But their SF position is in shambles and is one of the worst group of SFs in the league.

The Kings need coachable youth, veterans with a good attitude and talent with upside.

Boston's package of Green, Sully and Melo would give the Kings all those things, get them out from under Salmon's contract, especially given his age and get rid of possibly the biggest headcase, idiot loser of a player with tremendous talent in the league.

I don't think it will happen but I also doubt teams are going to be lining up with better offers knowing that Petrie HAS to get rid of Cousins and will have to take 25-50 cents on the dollar for his talent level, sacrificing talent but bringing in quality people and players withupside.

« Reply #74 on: December 29, 2012, 11:52:32 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
What would the pistons offer, and why are they so interested? Do they really want to bring back the detroit bad boys image? They already have Monroe and a big man rookie who will be potentially better than Cousins in Drummond. I would not trade Drummond or Monroe for Cousins. Other than that, Stuckey? Night? Singler? I don't see anyone else that the Kings would want.