Author Topic: Sources: Celtics extremely interested in Demarcus Cousins  (Read 29057 times)

Re: Sources: Celtics extremely interested in Demarcus Cousins
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2012, 09:05:11 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Being interested and having something to offer are two extremely different things.
How so being interested means you're willing to offer something and outside of KG/Pierce Danny is probably dangling everybody or will be soon

Rondo is the only player on the Celtics roster good enough to tempt Sacramento into parting with DeMarcus Cousins.

The Celtics cannot make any other viable trade package.
Sacramento won't get a player of Rondo's caliber for Cousins at this point.  I would have been more likely to agree with you last year.
I agree

It's not that it will take a player of Rondo's ability to land Cousins. It wouldn't. Sacramento won't get offers of that level for Cousins.

It's that Boston lacks assets of comparable value to Cousins. That outside of Rondo, they can't make an offer that is worthwhile for the Kings organization.

The Celtics have one excellent asset in Rondo. Then a bunch of old guys (Pierce, Garnett, Terry) coming towards the end of their career. A bunch of role players (Bass, Green, Lee) on long term deals. One good young talent in Bradley (maybe two depending on specific team's view of J.Green) and a pair of solid assets in Sully in Fab Melo.

It's that Boston lacks the assets to make a realistic offer for Cousins with it's non-Rondo assets. The team just doesn't have the talent (or proven talent if you like) to make an acceptable trade offer. That Boston's only way to get Cousins at this point in time would be to make Rondo available.
i think Who is spot on with his analysis.  Basically, the only guys we have of real value (not including kg and pp) are rondo, Avery, sully, and fab.  If we're not including rondo, then the offer starts with ALL of the other three.  Talent-wise, that may not be enough to tempt sac.  The wildcard is cousins' attitude issues and how much that decreases his value.

« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2012, 09:08:25 AM »

Offline alajet

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 54
Detriot has the edge if they are willing to part with expiring contract Maggette and take on Garcia.

Pistons get: Cousins, Garcia
Kings get: Correy Maggette, Drummond and a Piston 2013 1st rounder

The Celtics couldn't comnpete with that offer.

I can't see Pistons giving up on Drummond. He has an incredible ceiling. His numbers through the little playing time he gets is really encouraging.
Only good thing about that deal for them is dumping Maggette's salary.

« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2012, 09:08:34 AM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
Being interested and having something to offer are two extremely different things.
How so being interested means you're willing to offer something and outside of KG/Pierce Danny is probably dangling everybody or will be soon

Rondo is the only player on the Celtics roster good enough to tempt Sacramento into parting with DeMarcus Cousins.

Sacramento won't get a player of Rondo's caliber for Cousins at this point.  I would have been more likely to agree with you last year.
I agree

It's not that it will take a player of Rondo's ability to land Cousins. It wouldn't. Sacramento won't get offers of that level for Cousins.

It's that Boston lacks assets of comparable value to Cousins. That outside of Rondo, they can't make an offer that is worthwhile for the Kings organization.

The Celtics have one excellent asset in Rondo. Then a bunch of old guys (Pierce, Garnett, Terry) coming towards the end of their career. A bunch of role players (Bass, Green, Lee) on long term deals. One good young talent in Bradley (maybe two depending on specific team's view of J.Green) and a pair of solid assets in Sully in Fab Melo.

It's that Boston lacks the assets to make a realistic offer for Cousins with it's non-Rondo assets. The team just doesn't have the talent (or proven talent if you like) to make an acceptable trade offer. That Boston's only way to get Cousins at this point in time would be to make Rondo available.
i think Who is spot on with his analysis.  Basically, the only guys we have of real value (not including kg and pp) are rondo, Avery, sully, and fab.  If we're not including rondo, then the offer starts with ALL of the other three.  Talent-wise, that may not be enough to tempt sac.  The wildcard is cousins' attitude issues and how much that decreases his value.

Its debatable that cousins isn't worth all 3 of those guys all things considered. Hes definitely not worth anymore than those guys.

« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2012, 09:08:44 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

I agree

Have to disagree with this though.  We landed KG for Al Jefferson and a bunch of spare parts.  KG was much older, granted, but he was also an MVP and borderline Hall-of-Famer.

Sacramento might be in a more difficult situation than Minny was when they dealt KG.  I know we don't have McHale  dealing on the other side but Sac's GM is not is a good spot right now.  Cousins is a big problem for them.  If they can get rid of him for a decent group of young players and some draft picks, why not do it?

« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2012, 09:22:35 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Detriot has the edge if they are willing to part with expiring contract Maggette and take on Garcia.

Isn't Garcia also an expiring deal (team option)?

I'd rather have good-guy Garcia than malcontent Corey Maggette. 

John Salmons has one more year of bad salary, but then has a minimally-guaranteed third year.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2012, 09:43:17 AM »

Offline Jack_Frost

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 52

« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2012, 09:44:28 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Would you do something like this?

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=btvqe6e

No, and neither would Sacramento.  What does Pierce + two low-end prospects do for them?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2012, 09:45:06 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

Isn't Garcia also an expiring deal (team option)?

I'd rather have good-guy Garcia than malcontent Corey Maggette. 

John Salmons has one more year of bad salary, but then has a minimally-guaranteed third year.

Some time over the summer, Shamsports changed Garcia's contract status for next year from player option to team option. Not sure which is correct.

Meanwhile, I think the question of whether Petrie may want veterans in trade is legit. Very hard to get good players to go to SAC in FA. The Cs can put together an interesting mix of rotation guys and young talent, albeit I'd assume Drummond is more attractive than Melo.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2012, 09:46:03 AM »

Offline Jack_Frost

• Jrue Holiday

No, and neither would Sacramento.  What does Pierce + two low-end prospects do for them?

I read somewhere they were asking for a veteran player

« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2012, 09:50:44 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I haven't read that report, but my guess is that by "veteran" they mean somebody who has been in the league for a few years and has established themselves, rather than 35 year old on his way out of the league in the next couple of years.

I think that Pierce would refuse to report to Sacramento if he was ever traded there

« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2012, 09:54:08 AM »

Offline Jack_Frost

• Jrue Holiday

I haven't read that report, but my guess is that by "veteran" they mean somebody who has been in the league for a few years and has established themselves, rather than 35 year old on his way out of the league in the next couple of years.

I think that Pierce would refuse to report to Sacramento if he was ever traded there

From Stein

There’s a growing sense among potential suitors that under-fire Kings general manager Geoff Petrie, who has overseen zero trips to the playoffs under five coaches in the six-plus seasons since Rick Adelman left town, would be willing to move Cousins, preferably in exchange for a dependable veteran of quality or two who could bring some instant improvement to a franchise stuck in lottery land and still plagued by an uncertain future in terms of where this team will be calling home in the long term….

Anyway you're right: Pierce would certainly refuse

« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2012, 09:58:57 AM »

Offline Tnerb02

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 18
I don't see us trading any veterans because we don't have any expiring contracts that the Kings would want. I don't see the Kings wanting to take back contracts like Bass, Lee, Green or Terry while giving up DeMarcus Cousins in the process.

Also, I don't see Detroit trading either Drummond or Monroe for Cousins and I honestly believe they are best off by staying pat. Cousins would be in virtually the same situation in Detroit as he would be in Sacramento.

I think the best offer we can make is Bradley, Sullinger, Melo and a 2013 1st for DeMarcus Cousins. If Sacramento is insistent on us taking back a bad contract, something like this would work: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=crmgoo6
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 10:15:08 AM by Tnerb02 »

« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2012, 10:00:25 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

Yeah, like someone who is in that 24-27 year old bracket (rather than a 35 year old).

Someone who has established themselves as a star but is still young enough for the team to build around for the next 5-8 years. To build a title contender around.

Edit: Like when Sacramento acquired Chris Webber. He was 25 years old then. They are looking for something like that. Someone who can turn around the team and get them back to winning ways immediately but still be young enough to build around long term.

« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2012, 10:06:06 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Yeah, like someone who is in that 24-27 year old bracket (rather than a 35 year old).

Someone who has established themselves as a star but is still young enough for the team to build around for the next 5-8 years. To build a title contender around.

Batum + Leonard

for

Cousins + (Thornton / Tyreke)

I can't tell if that deal is about even, or wildly unbalanced.

« Reply #59 on: December 29, 2012, 10:10:02 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367

Edit: Like when Sacramento acquired Chris Webber. He was 25 years old then. They are looking for something like that. Someone who can turn around the team and get them back to winning ways immediately but still be young enough to build around long term.

Hey! Courtney Lee and Brandon Bass fits the bill!  ;D