Author Topic: Sources: Celtics extremely interested in Demarcus Cousins  (Read 29056 times)

Re: Sources: Celtics extremely interested in Demarcus Cousins
« Reply #165 on: December 29, 2012, 07:34:23 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
Looking at the Kings roster, if they trade DMC they need to fill holes at C, SF, SG (if they give up on Jimmer) and PG. I don't see Sullinger being that valuable to them.

I think Boston would have to build a deal around Green, Bradley, Melo and picks, while taking back some bad contracts like Salmons, Hayes along with DMC. Not sure if that gets it done, especially if Detroit offers a guy like Monroe.

I disagree. If they trade Cousins for Bradley, Sullinger, and Melo, they would have:

PG: Tyreke Evans, Aaron Brooks, Isiah Thomas
SG: Avery Bradley, Marcus Thorton, Jimmer Fridette
SF: James Johnson, John Salmons, Francisco Garcia
PF: Jared Sullinger, Thomas Robinson
Center: Jason Thompson, Fab Melo, Chuck Hayes

I don't see Detroit trading Monroe or Drummond for Cousins.

« Reply #166 on: December 29, 2012, 09:06:16 PM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Honestly, i don't even want this guy on the C's. Any center that routinely shoots less than 45 percent from the field, i do not want. All that "talent" he has, yet he can't put the ball in the hoop on a consistent basis. Hmmm...if the C's are going to make a trade hopefully it's for Varajao.

« Reply #167 on: December 29, 2012, 09:08:27 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
The problem with all of the Cousins hype is that there is no reason for the Kings to trade him. I really can't see a situation unless they are getting a young all-star in return where it makes sense.

I know kookier things have happened in the NBA but I don't understand why the Kings would move a productive 22 year old center when he has 2+ years left on his rookie deal. They have 2 years to get competitive, fix their organization, get moved to Seattle (maybe) or draft a franchise player. From a rebuilding standpoint Cousins would have to be contagious to want to move. They aren't competing for anything this year and probably won't be next year. There is no reason to trade Cousins when his value is at an all-time low and you have years left on his rookie deal.

Which brings me to the major concern I have. The only two reasons the Kings could have to move Cousins this year would be front office stupidity or front office genius. It's possible that Cousins is so immature, so completely unsalvagable that moving him while there is any value would be preferable to waiting. That would only be the case because in time Cousin's value would plummet further when people found out that he is the Latrell Sprewell of centers; a really good player with absolutely no idea how to be a human being let alone a teammate.

For the record I think Cousins is worth it for us. I also think everyone who is saying the C's don't have an asset package worth Cousins are completely leaving out the fact that it's a risk for us to trade our only 3 young prospects for a guy who can't stay on the floor. I guess we can say KG "will fix his head" but I'm not certain of that. KG has a reputation of giving guys 1 chance. Does Demarcus Cousin see like the kind of guy that needs only one chance?

I guess my point is that there is a reason he's on the market. We're taking a risk. I keep seeing people leave that tidbit out.

« Reply #168 on: December 29, 2012, 09:10:15 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Honestly, i don't even want this guy on the C's. Any center that routinely shoots less than 45 percent from the field, i do not want. All that "talent" he has, yet he can't put the ball in the hoop on a consistent basis. Hmmm...if the C's are going to make a trade hopefully it's for Varajao.

While it's a red flag, look at a guy like Zach Randolph.  He shot above 48.5% once in his career before joining Memphis.  Since then, he's shot below 48.8% only once. 

Sometimes, a system can improve a player's efficiency dramatically.   Cousins is still very young, and hopefully, malleable.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes