Author Topic: Sources: Celtics extremely interested in Demarcus Cousins  (Read 29035 times)

Re: Sources: Celtics extremely interested in Demarcus Cousins
« Reply #150 on: December 29, 2012, 06:03:05 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
cousins respects rondo and KG lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-wbrYhdHxg

Meh, I seem to recall reading somewhere that Perk and KG didn't particularly have great affinity for each other prior to KG coming here (maybe I'm mis-remembering?).

Besides, I don't really see anything in that video that shows concrete proof there is any serious beef that exists.  Didn't Rondo and Cousins play together during the lockout with a group of ex-Kentucky players?  Anyone know how well it did or didn't go?

« Reply #151 on: December 29, 2012, 06:04:07 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
After January 15th this works:

Boston sends Green and Bradley

Boston receives Cousins and Salmons

Utah sends Milsap

Utah receives Green and Bradley

Sacramento sends Cousins and Salmons

Sacramento receives Milsap

Wow.  TP.

So Sac trades Cousins( a legit 6'11/7ft with loads of potential) for and undersized PF who is 5 years older and has already reached his peak of a 15/8 ? Just don't see Sacramento being interested in that.

The Kings are desperate for a change in culture and some veteran leadership. I think they've recognized that they need a quality vet or two around while grooming their young talent.

They also unload the Salmons contract.

And say whatever you want about Cousins' potential, but he is almost certainly done playing for that team and everyone in the league knows it. His value is low.

Milsap is a very high-quality player, one of the 10 or 15 best PFs in the game by any measure, he's 27, and he's missed a total of 14 games in a seven-year career. He is the ultimate low-risk acquisition.

The Jazz might also move Jefferson, if you think he's more attractive. Both he and Milsap are free agents this summer, and at least one needs to go given the Favors/Kanter situation.

I can't see Sacramento rating Millsap that highly with the next-Paul Millsap already on their roster in Thomas Robinson.

I do agree that is a solid trade offer for Cousins though. I consider Millsap a top ten PF in the league at the moment. Very professional. Does whatever his team asks of him. Only cares about winning. A type of guy that would fit what they are looking for. They'd like someone a bit younger with a bit more upside to him but in terms of established vets (for Cousins), I think Millsap scores well.

Just too much of an overlap there with Thomas Robinson for me. Writing off two talented young bigs (T-Rob, Cousins) for a guy in Millsap who doesn't really warrant that type of an investment.

I'd agree except that T-Rob has looked totally lost out there. He looks two years away from being a high-level player.

And I actually think having him on the roster is all the more reason to bring in Milsap as a mentor. You can always sign Milsap to a 3-4 year deal and then trade him in year 3, once Robinson is ready.
At a lower price, I agree.

At the cost of Cousins, I think Sacramento need someone with more of a long term future there.

« Reply #152 on: December 29, 2012, 06:04:48 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283

Meh, I seem to recall reading somewhere that Perk and KG didn't particularly have great affinity for each other prior to KG coming here (maybe I'm mis-remembering?).

Besides, I don't really see anything in that video that shows concrete proof there is any serious beef that exists.  Didn't Rondo and Cousins play together during the lockout with a group of ex-Kentucky players?  Anyone know how well it did or didn't go?
i was joking, I agree with everything you said

« Reply #153 on: December 29, 2012, 06:06:08 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
And say whatever you want about Cousins' potential, but he is almost certainly done playing for that team and everyone in the league knows it. His value is low.
I disagree, I think Sacramento will keep Cousins longer and try to make it work.

I do think they will have a divorce at some stage down the road but I don't think that time is now.

« Reply #154 on: December 29, 2012, 06:07:42 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

i was joking, I agree with everything you said

Oh, ok.

I guess I missed the humor.

« Reply #155 on: December 29, 2012, 06:08:20 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
The Jazz might also move Jefferson, if you think he's more attractive. Both he and Milsap are free agents this summer, and at least one needs to go given the Favors/Kanter situation.
Favors or Kanter would be a good trade offer for Cousins.

I don't think Utah will take that type of a chance on a problematic character like Cousins though. They seem scared off by those types of projects.

« Reply #156 on: December 29, 2012, 06:09:56 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

I'd agree except that T-Rob has looked totally lost out there. He looks two years away from being a high-level player.

And I actually think having him on the roster is all the more reason to bring in Milsap as a mentor. You can always sign Milsap to a 3-4 year deal and then trade him in year 3, once Robinson is ready.

At the cost of Cousins, I think Sacramento need someone with more of a long term future there.

Yeah, but bringing in another high-potential rookie doesn't fix the fundamental problem. Ideally they would get someone who's a perennial All-Star, but I just don't think Cousins can bring that back.

Maybe they trade Cousins and Evans for someone like that. But who?

« Reply #157 on: December 29, 2012, 06:13:41 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I disagree, I think Sacramento will keep Cousins longer and try to make it work.

I do think they will have a divorce at some stage down the road but I don't think that time is now.

Well, if we're all going to be honest, we will probably spend 30 pages speculating on this thread and about 500 other trade rumor threads. Then at the trade deadline our big move will be swapping a future second round pick for the rights to Furkan Aldemir.

« Reply #158 on: December 29, 2012, 06:15:01 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

Yeah, but bringing in another high-potential rookie doesn't fix the fundamental problem. Ideally they would get someone who's a perennial All-Star, but I just don't think Cousins can bring that back.

Maybe they trade Cousins and Evans for someone like that. But who?

They missed out on James Harden. A pity (for Sacramento) that situation happened so early in the season. A trade package based around Cousins could have been very attractive to OKC. Harden would've been the perfect type of trade target = young, talented, already big impact player who can carry / lead a team.

I think Sacramento are best off sitting tight and waiting for the next star player to become available. Not enough options available at this moment in time.

« Reply #159 on: December 29, 2012, 06:22:19 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

Well, if we're all going to be honest, we will probably spend 30 pages speculating on this thread and about 500 other trade rumor threads. Then at the trade deadline our big move will be swapping a future second round pick for the rights to Furkan Aldemir.
Haha, yeah, I'm not really expecting a major addition at this point. I think the odds are pretty low at that happening given the trade packages Danny has to offer. Maybe Danny gets lucky with somebody like Gortat in Phoenix but they're long odds on Danny acquiring an above average starting big man to borderline All-Star.

I am just hoping Danny can find a way to swap one or two of Bass, Green and/or Lee for a solid big man who can play defense and rebound. A strong backup center to a below average but solid starter. If Danny can find a way to add that, I think he'll have done a good job. 

« Reply #160 on: December 29, 2012, 06:36:57 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Haha, yeah, I'm not really expecting a major addition at this point. I think the odds are pretty low at that happening given the trade packages Danny has to offer. Maybe Danny gets lucky with somebody like Gortat in Phoenix but they're long odds on Danny acquiring an above average starting big man to borderline All-Star.

I am just hoping Danny can find a way to swap one or two of Bass, Green and/or Lee for a solid big man who can play defense and rebound. A strong backup center to a below average but solid starter. If Danny can find a way to add that, I think he'll have done a good job.

My preferred scenario would be a combination of Bass, Barbosa, Joseph + picks. And I'm willing to part with Wilcox, Sully, Melo, Collins if needed be depending on the player, but I'd prefer to use any of the first 3 players.

Outside of Barbosa, I'd rather not touch our guard situation. When Bradley comes back, it should give us a very serious advantage in those positions against just about any team in the league in regards to both depth and quality of players we can throw in just about any situation, with a good combination of offensive and defensive punch 48 minutes long. I don't want to give that up in a trade to find a center. I'd rather just do cheap pick-up with the vet. min. or the bi-annual exception. It's an advantage we'll have for ourselves at the very least for the next 3 seasons.

And I've very skeptical about who we can add if we give away Green. Though inconsistent, I like what he brings, and when he's at the 3 and Pierce at the 2, it can be a powerful combo... one we don't always exploit effectively, but have done so better as of late when they're on the floor like that.

« Reply #161 on: December 29, 2012, 06:45:57 PM »

Offline Accension13

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 5
what I continue to see overlooked by everyone clamoring to get DMC is this: having brought in a number of veterans this year, there has been an undeniable issue with these experienced players picking up the defensive schemes as well as Doc's inability to utilize their offensive skills effectively.

So, knowing that Doc is still our coach, how can people reasonably expect this 'problem child' to step in and pick up the same defensive schemes any better than the vets we have AND why do people think Doc is suddenly going to start using his players more effectively on offense?

I think the team needs a good big man but TBH, I think this kid would only be a future building block and effectively punt any championship this season.

Great point! There would definitely be a lack of cohesion if any big trade is made, but I think that is a huge problem with doc rivers coaching. More and more I beginning to believe he is very overrated. Doc has a lot of credibility because of the championship he won, but I think most of that credit should have been attributed to how well kg, pp, and Ray fit together. Fact is kg is the ultimate team player. He probably work well with any star player. Ray Allen had to sacrifice his game and maybe was never really used properly.  Having said all that I belive a really good coach could have made the c's team that stayed this year come together better.  Additionally,  a really good coach like pop could bring cousins in and make him fit into the system effectively.

« Reply #162 on: December 29, 2012, 06:52:49 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
what I continue to see overlooked by everyone clamoring to get DMC is this: having brought in a number of veterans this year, there has been an undeniable issue with these experienced players picking up the defensive schemes as well as Doc's inability to utilize their offensive skills effectively.

So, knowing that Doc is still our coach, how can people reasonably expect this 'problem child' to step in and pick up the same defensive schemes any better than the vets we have AND why do people think Doc is suddenly going to start using his players more effectively on offense?

I think the team needs a good big man but TBH, I think this kid would only be a future building block and effectively punt any championship this season.

Great point! There would definitely be a lack of cohesion if any big trade is made, but I think that is a huge problem with doc rivers coaching. More and more I beginning to believe he is very overrated. Doc has a lot of credibility because of the championship he won, but I think most of that credit should have been attributed to how well kg, pp, and Ray fit together. Fact is kg is the ultimate team player. He probably work well with any star player. Ray Allen had to sacrifice his game and maybe was never really used properly.  Having said all that I belive a really good coach could have made the c's team that stayed this year come together better.  Additionally,  a really good coach like pop could bring cousins in and make him fit into the system effectively.

I don't think that's an issue at all. Doc has used veteran big men well when he had the chance. Shaq was very well incorporated and learned the defense just fine, and no one will accuse him of being a rocket scientist. Cousins is a smart player, he won't have trouble learning our defense. What he needs is strong leadership and maturity, which Doc, KG, and Paul will provide for him. Immature is very different from being stupid.

« Reply #163 on: December 29, 2012, 07:07:18 PM »

Offline diddybop

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
Looking at the Kings roster, if they trade DMC they need to fill holes at C, SF, SG (if they give up on Jimmer) and PG. I don't see Sullinger being that valuable to them.

I think Boston would have to build a deal around Green, Bradley, Melo and picks, while taking back some bad contracts like Salmons, Hayes along with DMC. Not sure if that gets it done, especially if Detroit offers a guy like Monroe.

« Reply #164 on: December 29, 2012, 07:27:40 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I actually think a package built around Bradley + Melo + maybe Sully could intrigue Sacramento. Assuming they keep Tyreke Evans, a starting backcourt of Evans/Bradley could be incredibly dynamic. 
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman