Author Topic: Sources: Celtics extremely interested in Demarcus Cousins  (Read 29047 times)

Re: Sources: Celtics extremely interested in Demarcus Cousins
« Reply #135 on: December 29, 2012, 05:18:15 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I think either Drummond or Monroe for Cousins is a fair offer.

Yes, Drummond has lots of potential but he is also very raw and has to a lot to learn. Consequently, there is a fair bit of risk with him. One could just as easily see him struggle to develop and end up a DeAndre Jordan type as push on and become an All-Star caliber big man.

Greg Monroe is nowhere near as talented as Cousins. But Monroe is a young, steady, and productive big man with some potential to him. So if they wanted to get rid of Cousins, Monroe is a solid get for Sacramento.

« Reply #136 on: December 29, 2012, 05:19:29 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
What i like about Cousins being the target for the celts is that, they won't have alot of competitors dying to trade for him.

Sac couldn't care less who they trade to, as long as they get good in return. Det i think is crazy to want Cousins. I mean what is the diff between sac and det? Both losing teams filled mainly with a bunch of young players. The losing will likely continue and cousins remain frustrated.

The celts on the other hand have dealt with guys like Cousins before and got these kinds of players to focus on winning. Guys like nate robinson, big baby as examples. 

« Reply #137 on: December 29, 2012, 05:30:43 PM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Everyone forgot one thing. This trade will not happen unless Cousins is on board with coming here. If he's gonna be a petulant child there's no chance of him coming here. Danny is not that stupid. So the ball is in his court essentially. Chris Paul made it very clear he wanted no part of Boston. And the trade never happened. That's a big piece no one is mentioning.

The other thing that needs to be looked at is the more he sulks and acts up the lower his value drops. The Kings are on the clock. They need to make a move because this wont end well for them if they stand put. So Demarcus or his agent if your reading this keep up the petulant child act. And do your part. The nastier you make it the less we have to give up. Welcome to Boston!

I just don't see Cousins not wanting to come to Boston and play for Doc Rivers and a winning franchise. The guy has his flaws, but he wants to win, and there are not many better situations for him to win.

I completely agree that i don't see him nixing a trade to Boston. But in this days NBA, players do have that type of leverage. Chris Paul was my example. So it does/can happen. I agree i think it's unlikely but we can't overlook it. At the end of the day the kid has to WANT to come here.

Chris paul was a max player, just like Dwight Howard and Melo. That gives them a lot more leverage than a guy with 2 years left on his rookie contract...

I agree. But we're not exactly talking about the normal guy on their rookie contract. Cousins clearly comes with a big personality. To me he seems like he could care less what type of contract he's on. If he doesn't want to be some place he will make it difficult. I want the guy as much as anyone on the blog but we can't overlook what Cousins wants. If he's gonna come here and pout and pull the same stuff with the same attitude there's no point to bring him here at all. Just my personal opinion. So i think we had better make sure he is on board first. My gut tells me he is all about winning and a lot of his issues stem from him being a competitive player which if it's the case meshes well with our team and town. But that's just my guess.

« Reply #138 on: December 29, 2012, 05:43:35 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
what I continue to see overlooked by everyone clamoring to get DMC is this: having brought in a number of veterans this year, there has been an undeniable issue with these experienced players picking up the defensive schemes as well as Doc's inability to utilize their offensive skills effectively.

So, knowing that Doc is still our coach, how can people reasonably expect this 'problem child' to step in and pick up the same defensive schemes any better than the vets we have AND why do people think Doc is suddenly going to start using his players more effectively on offense?

I think the team needs a good big man but TBH, I think this kid would only be a future building block and effectively punt any championship this season.

« Reply #139 on: December 29, 2012, 05:44:41 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
After January 15th this works:

Boston sends Green and Bradley

Boston receives Cousins and Salmons

Utah sends Milsap

Utah receives Green and Bradley

Sacramento sends Cousins and Salmons

Sacramento receives Milsap

Wow.  TP.

So Sac trades Cousins( a legit 6'11/7ft with loads of potential) for and undersized PF who is 5 years older and has already reached his peak of a 15/8 ? Just don't see Sacramento being interested in that.

The Kings are desperate for a change in culture and some veteran leadership. I think they've recognized that they need a quality vet or two around while grooming their young talent.

They also unload the Salmons contract.

And say whatever you want about Cousins' potential, but he is almost certainly done playing for that team and everyone in the league knows it. His value is low.

Milsap is a very high-quality player, one of the 10 or 15 best PFs in the game by any measure, he's 27, and he's missed a total of 14 games in a seven-year career. He is the ultimate low-risk acquisition.

The Jazz might also move Jefferson, if you think he's more attractive. Both he and Milsap are free agents this summer, and at least one needs to go given the Favors/Kanter situation.

« Reply #140 on: December 29, 2012, 05:49:52 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

Utah sends Milsap

Wow.  TP.

So Sac trades Cousins( a legit 6'11/7ft with loads of potential) for and undersized PF who is 5 years older and has already reached his peak of a 15/8 ? Just don't see Sacramento being interested in that.

The Kings are desperate for a change in culture and some veteran leadership. I think they've recognized that they need a quality vet or two around while grooming their young talent.

And say whatever you want about Cousins' potential, but he is almost certainly done playing for that team and everyone in the league knows it. His value is low.

Milsap is a very high-quality player, one of the 10 or 15 best PFs in the game by any measure, he's 27, and he's missed a total of 14 games in a seven-year career. He is the ultimate low-risk acquisition.

The Jazz might also move Jefferson, if you think he's more attractive. Both he and Milsap are free agents this summer, and at least one needs to go given the Favors/Kanter situation.

I can't see Sacramento rating Millsap that highly with the next-Paul Millsap already on their roster in Thomas Robinson.

I do agree that is a solid trade offer for Cousins though. I consider Millsap a top ten PF in the league at the moment. Very professional. Does whatever his team asks of him. Only cares about winning. A type of guy that would fit what they are looking for. They'd like someone a bit younger with a bit more upside to him but in terms of established vets (for Cousins), I think Millsap scores well.

Just too much of an overlap there with Thomas Robinson for me. Writing off two talented young bigs (T-Rob, Cousins) for a guy in Millsap who doesn't really warrant that type of an investment.

« Reply #141 on: December 29, 2012, 05:54:17 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo

Utah sends Milsap

Wow.  TP.

I can't see Sacramento rating Millsap that highly with the next-Paul Millsap already on their roster in Thomas Robinson.

I do agree that is a solid trade offer for Cousins though. I consider Millsap a top ten PF in the league at the moment. Very professional. Does whatever his team asks of him. Only cares about winning. A type of guy that would fit what they are looking for. They'd like someone a bit younger with a bit more upside to him but in terms of established vets (for Cousins), I think Millsap scores well.

Just too much of an overlap there with Thomas Robinson for me. Writing off two talented young bigs (T-Rob, Cousins) for a guy in Millsap who doesn't really warrant that type of an investment.

I'd agree except that T-Rob has looked totally lost out there. He looks two years away from being a high-level player.

And I actually think having him on the roster is all the more reason to bring in Milsap as a mentor. You can always sign Milsap to a 3-4 year deal and then trade him in year 3, once Robinson is ready.

« Reply #142 on: December 29, 2012, 05:55:03 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
cousins respects rondo and KG lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-wbrYhdHxg

« Reply #143 on: December 29, 2012, 05:55:30 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

I agree.

Cousins has no future in Sac, it just isn't going to work there.  It doesn't mean Cousins couldn't turn it around elsewhere, though.

Teams don't give up the farm for this sort of risk, so I definitely think the C's have a decent chance at getting him.  We  have enough parts to get him, it just depends on whether other teams are willing to offer more.  I'm not so certain such a team exists.

I highly doubt Detroit is willing to give up either Drummond or Monroe.  I think it would be foolish.  Without either of those two, we have better pieces to offer.

« Reply #144 on: December 29, 2012, 05:55:54 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Utah sends Milsap

Wow.  TP.

I'd agree except that T-Rob has looked totally lost out there. He looks two years away from being a high-level player.

And I actually think having him on the roster is all the more reason to bring in Milsap as a mentor. You can always sign Milsap to a 3-4 year deal and then trade him in year 3, once Robinson is ready.

Wasn't Robinson supposed to be one of the most NBA ready players in the past draft? What happened to him?

« Reply #145 on: December 29, 2012, 05:59:00 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo

Utah sends Milsap

Wow.  TP.

Wasn't Robinson supposed to be one of the most NBA ready players in the past draft? What happened to him?

He's on the Kings.

This is the issue. They have no veteran leadership, and no strong culture coming from the front office, to give guys like Evans, Cousins, Robinson an environment in which they can develop.

« Reply #146 on: December 29, 2012, 05:59:22 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283

Utah sends Milsap

Wow.  TP.

nothing happened. he's a rookie whos still developing.

« Reply #147 on: December 29, 2012, 06:00:23 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

Utah sends Milsap

Wow.  TP.

He's on the Kings.

This is the issue. They have no veteran leadership, and no strong culture coming from the front office, to give guys like Evans, Cousins, Robinson an environment in which they can develop.

Yea, I guess this makes sense. None of their rookies seem to be working out. They desperately need some vets to set a good example over there.

« Reply #148 on: December 29, 2012, 06:01:13 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

Utah sends Milsap

Wow.  TP.

Weak jump shot and can't finish amongst the trees in the paint.

He needs some time to figure out how to be effective offensively against NBA caliber athletes / defenders + to continue to develop his defense.

I think T.Robinson is doing okay. It's going to take some time but I don't think there is any reason to lose belief in him yet. Kings coaching staff keep praising his work ethic, coach-ability, professionalism plus plays with great hustle / energy / desire. The Kings are high on him. They like his ability to develop and become the player they need him to be.

« Reply #149 on: December 29, 2012, 06:01:37 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

Utah sends Milsap

Wow.  TP.

nothing happened. he's a rookie whos still developing.

He was supposed to be the most NBA ready of the rookie big men and he looks the worst so far though. I guess it really is lack of veteran leadership on that team. Their coach is terrible too.