Author Topic: Sources: Celtics extremely interested in Demarcus Cousins  (Read 29058 times)

Re: Sources: Celtics extremely interested in Demarcus Cousins
« Reply #120 on: December 29, 2012, 04:48:09 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Still don't understand why Sacramento would want Bradley with Evans, Thornton, Thomas and Brooks already there. I think Bradley has great upside but at this point he is an injury risk and shows nothing more offensively than any of those four players can give the Kings.

Unless the Kings are going to change their entire thinking on how to construct a team, they value offensive players not defensive.

Shut up, Nick! You're gonna scare them off!
LOL...yeah because we all know how much Geoff Petrie respects my opinion.

Well he's been getting terrible advice from someone, judging from the way that team is drowning. I've been telling everyone I know how awesome Avery Bradley would be for the Kings, in the hopes of finding the anonymous source of Petrie's terrible advice.

I don't know how AB fits with kings, but I'm under the impression that Evans is on his way out. They chose to to extend a qualifying offer this off-season and he's an unrestricted free agent this summer. I'm pretty sure he's going to walk. I don't think Evans being part of a Celtics/Sac deal is that far fetched. We know Danny likes him and it could force us to offer a better package.
Yeah, it looks like Sacramento is ready to move on from Tyreke.

I thought a Jeff Green for Tyreke Evans swap would've been a fair deal given Tyreke's upcoming free agent status ... but I think I read somewhere earlier in the thread that Sacramento isn't interested in Jeff Green so that kinda kills that idea (not that I wanted to do it, I don't Tyreke + Rondo can coexist).

Not sure Danny came make an attractive offer for Tyreke other than J.Green. Maybe Bradley maybe.

« Reply #121 on: December 29, 2012, 04:48:50 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
"Among potential suitors, there is a growing belief that GM Geoff Petrie would be willing to part ways with Cousins in exchange for a quality veteran player or two who could bring instant improvement."

Raise your hand if you'd part with Paul Pierce in order to nab Cousins.

*raises hand*

Pierce is my favorite player on the team.  I love the guy.  I'd have to do that if I was the Celtics GM.  Pretty much fixes our main roster issue.

PG - Rondo
SG - Lee/Jet/Bradley/Barbosa
SF - Green (getting paid starter money anyways)
PF - KG
C - Cousins

Can't Pierce veto that trade? What a backstab.

Techically, no, Pierce could not veto the trade.  Effectively, he probably could.  It's rumored he put the kibosh on a potential deal to the Nets last trade deadline.

Pierce would probably threaten to not report.

Aside from that, I find the idea of trading Pierce to Sacramento for Cousins sacreligious.  Hypothectically, it is a decent starting point for a trade, but not something I could ever see Wyc allowing.

Yea, I don't see the Kings trading Cousins for a guy who has maybe 1 more year left in the league and would retire if he gets traded to their team. When they say veteran, I don't think they mean old veteran. Heck, Ryan Anderson and Glen Davis are considered veterans now.

I agree, but, I'm not entirely convinced Sac wouldn't entertain the idea of taking on Pierce, even if he did refuse to report.  If it allowed Sac to dump a bunch of bad contracts, they might bite, provided there was enough young talent coming back, as well.

Sacramento would not have to pay Pierce for the remainder of the season if he failed to report (I believe), and could work a buyout in the off-season for as little as $5mil, possibly less.

I don't think Sacramento has that many bad contracts they want to dump, or are that desparate.  In all likely hood, they'd probaly prefer players whom they could actually put on the court.  Sac has very little use for salary cap space.  Nobody wants to sign there as a FA.

« Reply #122 on: December 29, 2012, 04:52:56 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Everyone forgot one thing. This trade will not happen unless Cousins is on board with coming here. If he's gonna be a petulant child there's no chance of him coming here.
DeMarcus Cousins' doesn't have that type of leverage.

If he refuses to report, Danny should make the deal anyway. Cousins would back down. Danny would just need to stand strong. Cousins would back down.

Not that I expect Cousins to do anything like this. Maybe to a lottery team (who's GM will no doubt back down because he has no backbone) that is similarly dysfunctional as Sacramento (where it would just be a repeat of the same problems he has been going through) but not to a championship caliber franchise like the the Celtics. I think Cousins would be delighted to come to Boston.

« Reply #123 on: December 29, 2012, 04:55:42 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Sac need a more than decent vet , plus one or two young players with potential and draft picks.

If det and bos are front runners for the trade

To det: Cousins , Brooks, Salmons
To sac: Prince, Maxiell, Drummond, 1st round pick

To bos: Cousins, Salmons, Thomas
To sac: Pierce, Lee, Bass, Melo

Det adv would be able to offer Drummond and a lottery bound 1st round pick. But then again Sac has stated they want a nice vet to lead them to the right direction. Pierce alone has adv over Prince and Maxiell, especially since these past few years he has helped the celts remain contenders. The celts could still get to keep sully as Sac already has enough pf's on the team and could use a potential center.

So celts lineup after

starters - Cousins, KG, Green/Salmons, Bradley, Rondo
bench - Green/Salmons, Terry, Thomas, Sully, Barbosa

pros: Cousins is young, immature but ultra talented. He has a legit body/post skills of a center and perimeter skills of a sf.  Salmons is a decent sf in the mold of Caron Butler and Thomas would finally solve celts issue of lacking a legit 2nd unit pg.

cons: If Cousins doesn't stop acting up even after going through doc and kg. If we struggle on the perimeter and can't close out games bc of losing pierce. (though these days he can't close out many games anyways)

I would really think about making this trade. Cousins though immature also after games , apologizes and realizes his mistakes. He just needs to avoid making them in real time. If sac needs bradley before this trade is considered, i would immediately reject

« Reply #124 on: December 29, 2012, 04:58:21 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
Sac need a more than decent vet , plus one or two young players with potential and draft picks.

Det adv would be able to offer Drummond and a lottery bound 1st round pick. But then again Sac has stated they want a nice vet to lead them to the right direction. Pierce alone has adv over Prince and Maxiell, especially since these past few years he has helped them remain contenders. The celts could still get to keep sully as Sac already has enough pf's on the team and could use a potential center.

So celts lineup after

pros: Cousins is young, immature but ultra talented. He has a legit body/post skills of a center and perimeter skills of a sf.  Salmons is a decent sf in the mold of Caron Butler and Thomas would finally solve celts issue of lacking a legit 2nd unit pg.

cons: If Cousins doesn't stop acting up even after going through doc and kg. If we struggle on the perimeter and can't close out games bc of losing pierce. (though these days he can't close out many games anyways)

I would really think about making this trade. Cousins though immature also after games , apologizes and realizes his mistakes. He just needs to avoid making them in real time. If sac needs bradley before this trade is considered, i would immediately reject

there is no way the pistons trade Drummond for Cousins. They think, as they should, that Drummond will be a much better player than Cousins.

« Reply #125 on: December 29, 2012, 05:01:20 PM »

Offline bigal534

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 56
Who would object to this trade first:

SAC TRADES: COUSINS, EVANS, THOMAS

BOS TRADES:  BRADLEY, GREEN, BASS, LEE, 2 first rounders

Thoughts?

« Reply #126 on: December 29, 2012, 05:03:41 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
Who would object to this trade first:

SAC TRADES: COUSINS, EVANS, THOMAS

BOS TRADES:  BRADLEY, GREEN, BASS, LEE, 2 first rounders

Thoughts?

I don't see the Kings giving us Cousins and Evans for that package.

« Reply #127 on: December 29, 2012, 05:06:32 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Det adv would be able to offer Drummond and a lottery bound 1st round pick. But then again Sac has stated they want a nice vet to lead them to the right direction. Pierce alone has adv over Prince and Maxiell, especially since these past few years he has helped them remain contenders. The celts could still get to keep sully as Sac already has enough pf's on the team and could use a potential center.

So celts lineup after

there is no way the pistons trade Drummond for Cousins. They think, as they should, that Drummond will be a much better player than Cousins.

Why not?? they already have Monroe at Center. If you get Cousins, Drummond now becomes a bench player for years to come? That makes no sense

Plus you think Sac is going to be happy to receive chump change for Cousins?? Det biggest assets are Knight, Monroe (both untouchables even for cousins) and Drummond.

« Reply #128 on: December 29, 2012, 05:10:00 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

So celts lineup after

Why not?? they already have Monroe at Center. If you get Cousins, Drummond now becomes a bench player for years to come? That makes no sense

Plus you think Sac is going to be happy to receive chumps change for Cousins?? Det biggest assets are Knight, Monroe (both untouchables even for cousins) and Drummond.

I read a few Detroit sports writers takes on trading for Cousins and they all state that the pistons see Drummond as an all-star big man and potential future MVP. They are not trading him for Cousins. They actually want to pair Cousins with Drummond and move Monroe to PF off the bench. I don't understand why they want all three of those guys, but that seems to be the plan.

« Reply #129 on: December 29, 2012, 05:10:49 PM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Everyone forgot one thing. This trade will not happen unless Cousins is on board with coming here. If he's gonna be a petulant child there's no chance of him coming here. Danny is not that stupid. So the ball is in his court essentially. Chris Paul made it very clear he wanted no part of Boston. And the trade never happened. That's a big piece no one is mentioning.

The other thing that needs to be looked at is the more he sulks and acts up the lower his value drops. The Kings are on the clock. They need to make a move because this wont end well for them if they stand put. So Demarcus or his agent if your reading this keep up the petulant child act. And do your part. The nastier you make it the less we have to give up. Welcome to Boston!

I just don't see Cousins not wanting to come to Boston and play for Doc Rivers and a winning franchise. The guy has his flaws, but he wants to win, and there are not many better situations for him to win.

I completely agree that i don't see him nixing a trade to Boston. But in this days NBA, players do have that type of leverage. Chris Paul was my example. So it does/can happen. I agree i think it's unlikely but we can't overlook it. At the end of the day the kid has to WANT to come here.

« Reply #130 on: December 29, 2012, 05:12:13 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

So celts lineup after

Plus you think Sac is going to be happy to receive chumps change for Cousins?? Det biggest assets are Knight, Monroe (both untouchables even for cousins) and Drummond.

I read a few Detroit sports writers takes on trading for Cousins and they all state that the pistons see Drummond as an all-star big man and potential future MVP. They are not trading him for Cousins. They actually want to pair Cousins with Drummond and move Monroe to PF off the bench. I don't understand why they want all three of those guys, but that seems to be the plan.

I would love to have those three guys too. But things have to make sense. Sac is going to want something good in return. Like i stated to you, det doesn't have alot to offer. If its between Monroe or Drummond, they keep Monroe 100 times over.

« Reply #131 on: December 29, 2012, 05:13:22 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Everyone forgot one thing. This trade will not happen unless Cousins is on board with coming here. If he's gonna be a petulant child there's no chance of him coming here. Danny is not that stupid. So the ball is in his court essentially. Chris Paul made it very clear he wanted no part of Boston. And the trade never happened. That's a big piece no one is mentioning.

The other thing that needs to be looked at is the more he sulks and acts up the lower his value drops. The Kings are on the clock. They need to make a move because this wont end well for them if they stand put. So Demarcus or his agent if your reading this keep up the petulant child act. And do your part. The nastier you make it the less we have to give up. Welcome to Boston!

I just don't see Cousins not wanting to come to Boston and play for Doc Rivers and a winning franchise. The guy has his flaws, but he wants to win, and there are not many better situations for him to win.

I completely agree that i don't see him nixing a trade to Boston. But in this days NBA, players do have that type of leverage. Chris Paul was my example. So it does/can happen. I agree i think it's unlikely but we can't overlook it. At the end of the day the kid has to WANT to come here.

Chris paul was a max player, just like Dwight Howard and Melo. That gives them a lot more leverage than a guy with 2 years left on his rookie contract...

« Reply #132 on: December 29, 2012, 05:15:14 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

So celts lineup after

I would love to have those three guys too. But things have to make sense. Sac is going to want something good in return. Like i stated to you, det doesn't have alot to offer. If its between Monroe or Drummond, they keep Monroe 100 times over.

From what I read, if it's between Monroe and Drummond, they trade Monroe. They love Drummond. There is also the issue that Cousins and Monroe hate each other and might not be able to co-exist. I agree though that if they are not trading one of those 2 big men, they really don't have much to offer, which would put us in a great position. Who else can they offer? Knight, Stuckey, Prince, Singler? I guess, but if I where the Kings I'd rather take Bradley, Sullinger, and Melo.

« Reply #133 on: December 29, 2012, 05:15:28 PM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Honestly i don't get why Detroit is even interested at all.. They've got two solid interchangeable BIGs without the question marks that come along with Cousins. Why on earth do they move one for him? Makes no sense. And they will have to move one to get him. No way they can offer a better package of smalls then the Celts.

« Reply #134 on: December 29, 2012, 05:17:51 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
Honestly i don't get why Detroit is even interested at all.. They've got two solid interchangeable BIGs without the question marks that come along with Cousins. Why on earth do they move one for him? Makes no sense. And they will have to move one to get him. No way they can offer a better package of smalls then the Celts.

Unless they really want Tyreke Evans in the deal together with Cousins. Then I could maybe see them having a reason to risk trading Monroe and Prince for Cousins and Evans for example. Evans and Stuckey are pretty much interchangeable though.