Author Topic: Celtics (14-14) at Warriors (20-10) 12/29  (Read 69179 times)

Celtics (14-14) at Warriors (20-10) 12/29
« on: December 28, 2012, 11:57:21 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11832
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 
Boston Celtics (14-14) at Golden State Warriors (20-10)
Saturday, December 29, 2012
10:30 PM ET
Regular Season Game #29, Road Game #15
TV:  NBA-TV, NBAC, CSN-NE,  CSN-BA
Radio:  WEEI, KNBR
Oracle Arena

Probable Starters

PG Rajon Rondo  13.6 PPG, 5.1 RPG, 11.7 APG,  2.0 SPG

SG Jason Terry   11.1 PPG, 2.0 RPG,  2.2 APG, ..385 3P%

SF  Paul Pierce  20.2 PPG, 5.6 RPG, 3.9 APG  .444 FG%

PF Kevin Garnett   15.0 PPG, 7.0 RPG, 2.0 APG,   0.8 BPG

C Jason Collins   1.0 PPG, 2.6RPG,  0.0 APG,  0.3 BPG 

Reserves
Jared Sullinger
Brandon Bass
Jeff Green
Courtney Lee
Jarvis Varnado
Kris Joseph

Injuries
Avery Bradley (shoulders) out
Chris Wilcox (thumb) out
Leandro Barbosa (personal) day to day

Red Claws
Fab Melo

Probable Starters

PG  Stephen Curry 20.3 PPG, 4.4 RPG, 6.4 APG, 1.6 SPG

SG  Klay Thompson  15.9 PPG, 4.1 RPG, 2.6 APG,  .376 3P%   

SF  Harrrison Barnes 8.7 PPG,  4.1 RPG,  1.4 APG, .407FG% 

PF David Lee 19.9 PPG, 11.2 RPG,  3.7 APG,  0.2 BPG   

C  Festus Ezeli  2.9 PPG, 4.2 RPG, 0.3 APG,   1.0 BPG

Reserves   
Andris Biedrins
Jarrett Jack
Draymond Green
Carl Landry
Charles Jenkins
Jeremy Tyler
Kent Bazemore
Richard Jefferson

Injuries
Andrew Bogut (ankle)  out
Brandon Rush (knee)  out

Team Connections
Jason Collins and Richard Jefferson were teammates in New Jersey from 2001-07
Brandon Rush and Paul Pierce attended Kansas
Jason Terry and Richard Jefferson both attended Arizona
Chris Wilcox and David Lee both played for New York during the 2008-09 season
Leandro Barbosa and Jarrett Jack were teammates in Toronto during the 2010-11 season.
 Warriors Co-Executive Chairman, CEO & Governor Joe Lacob spent five years as a minority owner of the Boston Celtics, serving on the basketball committee and earning an NBA championship ring in 2007-08.
Warriors assistant Darren Erman spent four seasons (2007-11) as an assitant coach in Boston, helping the club to an NBA championship in 2008.
Warriors television analyst Jim Barnett was selected by Boston with the eighth overall pick in the 1966 NBA Draft and played his rookie season with the Celtics.

Game Notes

The Celtics look to shake off their loss to the the Clippers and get back into the win column as they take on the surprising Warriors.  The Warriors are 8-4 at home while the Celtics have struggled on the road with a 5-9 record.  The Celtics are just 4-6 in their last 10 games while the Warriors are 7-3 in their last 10. 

The Celtics were off on Friday while the Warriors had a home game against the Sixers.  The Warriors have played well in the second of back to back games with a 5-3 record.    They have the advantage of having both games at home as well.  The Warriors have also played well against the East with an 11-2 record against Eastern Conference foes. 

The Celtics have been consistently inconsistent this season so far.  They go from a dominant win over the Nets to an embarrassing loss to the Clippers.  They have hovered around .500 all season, never able to get above and stay there.  Doc said that they are very close to putting it together.   They need to close out this road trip strong and finally get above .500 for good. 

Key Matchups
vs
Rajon Rondo vs Stephen Curry 
Stephen Curry is a good young point guard and has been impressive so far in his career and especially this season.   He proved by winning the Skills Challenge that he is quick and talented.  He sometimes will have defensive lapses and when he does, Rondo needs to be ready to take advantage.  Curry is one of only three players in the league averaging at least 20 points, six assists and three rebounds, along with LeBron James and Russell Westbrook. Rondo's defense on him will be key to getting this win.

vs
Kevin Garnett vs David Lee
Lee is a tough player and isn't above playing rough and dirty.  KG goes from one tough player in Griffin to another in Lee.  Lee is leading his team in rebounding and so KG needs to box him out and deny him position for rebounds and especially tip ins and put backs.  Lee plays hard every game and KG needs to match his intensity.   

Honorable Mention
Paul Pierce vs Harrison Barnes
Paul Pierce has been playing very well aside from the Clippers game.  He needs to use his veteran wiles to win this matchup with the Warriors talented rookie.  Barnes ranks eighth in scoring and tied for eighth in rebounding among his fellow rookies. 

Keys to the Game
Defense - The Warriors can put up points quickly and in bunches.  It will be important for the Celtics to bring their defensive intensity into this game, especially to shut down the Warriors' fast breaks.   The Celtics must especially guard the perimeter as the Warriors are 5th in the league in 3 point shooting percentage.

Rebound - The Celtics need to crash the boards to keep the Warriors from igniting their fast  breaks.   The Celtics also need to rebound to give themselves second chance points and limit the second chance points for the Warriors.   The Warriors are 17-2 overall and 8-0 at home when they out rebound their opponents.  The Celtics have to put out extra effort to crash the boards.   

Take Care of the Ball - The Warriors can be very disruptive by getting into the passing lanes.  The Celtics seem to go through periods in every game where they turn over the ball several times in a row.  The Celtics need to stay focused and not give the Warriors any easy opportunities to steal the ball or to get out on the break. 

Be Aggressive  -  The Celtics need to come out focused and take control of the game from the beginning.  The Warriors are undefeated when they lead by double digits at the end of the first quarter.  The Celtics have to be the more aggressive team throughout the game.  They must be aggressive on defense, on the boards, in chasing down lose balls, and in taking the ball to the hoop and not settling for jumpers. 

X-Factors
Road Game and Back to Back
The Celtics have had a much needed day off.  The Warriors are playing in the second of back to back games.  Their youth gives them an advantage and they are  5-3 in the second of back to back games.   The Celtics need to shake off their embarrassing loss to the Clippers and come out strong and win this one.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 02:20:44 PM by FLCeltsFan »

Re: Celtics (14-14) at Warriors (19-10) 12/29
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 12:06:22 AM »

Offline tgreanier

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 154
  • The Patron Saint of Defense
I like Golden State, they are easily my second favorite team. However, they are facing my favorite team and the distance between second and first on that list is huge.

So for the first time this year I will not be enjoying watching Golden State do what they do. This is a winnable game for Boston, but they absolutely have to get into the paint. If they let the Warriors own the paint, it will be another blowout.
Bleeding green for 36 37 years.
"Maybe we do suck. But at least we don't wear yellow."

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 12:28:22 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Klay Thompson would be so good with Rondo...

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 12:39:50 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I grew up near Curry's father Dell.  So I usually cheer for them when I'm not suffering watching the Celtics... ;D

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 01:00:24 AM »

Offline 5.9.20.34.43

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 21
I live in the South Bay and will be attending this game. Spent all my Christmas money for 4th row seats.  I myself am expecting a bounce back game from Rajon a beast game from PP and KG I just pray Jeff Green shows up and Sully dominates on the boards. GOOOOO CELTICS!!!

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 01:24:36 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
I expect a win GS will be coming off the back to back. Well win looking dominant and then drop a stinker in Sac town and get blown out.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 04:53:02 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
6-0 Jason Terry closing out on a 6-7 Klay Thompson is not a pretty thought

Terry's lack of size and inability to close out shooters is one of the main reasons Boston's three point defense has been so much worse this year.

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 05:35:07 AM »

Offline YallahCeltics34

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 6
I like Golden State, they are easily my second favorite team. However, they are facing my favorite team and the distance between second and first on that list is huge.

So for the first time this year I will not be enjoying watching Golden State do what they do. This is a winnable game for Boston, but they absolutely have to get into the paint. If they let the Warriors own the paint, it will be another blowout.

haha this was me for the clippers game 2 nights ago. If the warriors end up blowing us out like the clips did you will end up hating them.  ;D

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 05:40:14 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

I think the Warriors are becoming my second favourite team in the NBA too.

I have really enjoyed the way the way they play.

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 05:40:43 AM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
I'll be at Oracle for this game (visiting family in the area). Their effort better be 10x better than they showed in LA
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 05:46:08 AM by esel1000 »

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 06:30:18 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
this would be an upset win...for the Celtics  :'(
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2012, 07:39:57 AM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
The warriors are 19-10 huh........

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2012, 07:41:44 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

The Warriors is my 2nd favorite team. It's tough for me to them play each other.

I'm hoping that I'll  be wrong about this, but David Lee is going to abuse our forwards tonight, and I don't like it.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2012, 07:46:45 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

The Warriors is my 2nd favorite team. It's tough for me to them play each other.

I'm hoping that I'll  be wrong about this, but David Lee is going to abuse our forwards tonight, and I don't like it.

I am worried about Carl Landry. I think he'll get a lot of joy against the non-KG big man defenders. His shot-creation out of the post is going to be tough for them to handle.

I think David Lee will be dominant whenever Garnett sits. I am happy with that defensive matchup whenever Garnett is there to defend D.Lee though. I think KG can slow David Lee down. I think Garnett's length and mobility will bother D.Lee.

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2012, 07:58:16 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

I am worried about Carl Landry. I think he'll get a lot of joy against the non-KG big man defenders. His shot-creation out of the post is going to be tough for them to handle.

I think David Lee will be dominant whenever Garnett sits. I am happy with that defensive matchup whenever Garnett is there to defend D.Lee though. I think KG can slow David Lee down. I think Garnett's length and mobility will bother D.Lee.

On point Who, Landry is a silent monster on the block. And with how Beans is playing the past two games, sheez, we better put a ton of effort on rebounds, stopping Curry and Jack and making sure Lee and Landry is in check.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace