Author Topic: More Fab Melo: Red Claws vs Skyforce  (Read 13145 times)

More Fab Melo: Red Claws vs Skyforce
« on: December 28, 2012, 10:57:06 PM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=VqzqrV1sGxw#!

Melo was not only pitched against the likes of Whiteside, Pittman and Moultrie but he seemed to also have been game planned against by the Skyforce as early foul trouble had Melo coming on and off the court often in the first half. Fab Melo also did not score much of the first half going 0-4 from the field (unofficial tally by me).

Fab Melo had a relatively quiet night compared to his last two but I would still say that he's been very impressive.

Unable to get his game going with foul trouble in the first, Melo went off in the third quarter (around 58 minutes in for those of you interested). Fab Melo 8 of the 10 points to start the quarter and was a clear factor on the defensive end as the Skyforce were unable to score until around the 8 minute mark

The spark by Melo opened the floodgates as it enabled Maine to pour it in on all cylinders. At one point Maine led by 22 point (after leading by just 3 points at the half).

He ran the floor, connected on two jumpers and a hook shot, and made putbacks.

On defense he was tasked mainly with Whiteside and Pittman. I'd say Melo neutralized both bigs as most of the damage done by the two were when Melo was off the floor.

With much of the first half having only sporadic minutes, Fab Melo only really saw floor time in the second half. He continues to look good on rotations and improved on the offensive end. Questions of his motor and attitude are becoming less and less valid in my opinion.

The one knock for me personally tonight was the fact that he forced the issue a little bricking two jumpers badly in the first half. But the redemption was sweet and I think Melo just took another stride towards becoming an NBA rotation.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 11:22:54 PM by bfrombleacher »

Re: More Fab Melo: Red Claws vs Skyforce
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 10:59:58 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
I hope that by seasons end he can be a rotation player for the C's and help us...I would fear giving him up in a trade. he could be a nice "deandre jordan" sort of player for us

I definitely see him helping us longer term though...manning the 5 when KG sits...heck he could be our starting center next yeaar

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 11:01:54 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
I hope that by seasons end he can be a rotation player for the C's and help us...I would fear giving him up in a trade. he could be a nice "deandre jordan" sort of player for us

I definitely see him helping us longer term though...manning the 5 when KG sits...heck he could be our starting center next yeaar

If Melo ends up being DeAndre Jordan I will be ecstatic. It's quite possible, too.

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 12:34:53 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
That was an interesting game. Pittman who has conciderable more experience (HEAT was a good foe for Melo.

Fab's confidence is growing no doubt. He is getting under more control too.

Not bad against some good rookies.

I think I'm gonna be a Maine Red Claw fan and stop watching the Celtics....

it alot better on my nerves.  And they look good too...even without Joseph.

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 01:04:36 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
That was an interesting game. Pittman who has conciderable more experience (HEAT was a good foe for Melo.

Fab's confidence is growing no doubt. He is getting under more control too.

Not bad against some good rookies.

I think I'm gonna be a Maine Red Claw fan and stop watching the Celtics....

it alot better on my nerves
.  And they look good too...even without Joseph.
LOL ;D
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 11:58:03 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
theres a nice article on csnne.com about melo's development.

they are working on his defensive rotations and his offensive game(he is implementing a baby-hook)

http://www.csnne.com/basketball-boston-celtics/celtics-talk/Melo-being-patient-working-on-game-with-?blockID=817983&feedID=3352

I like that they are being patient with Melo..they probably learned from the bradley experience where they have have halted him his rookie year by having him sit on the bench and thrown out for the occasional garbage time killing his confidence.

this way they are building melos confidence in maine before bringing him up to the NBA

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 12:01:00 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

If Melo ends up being DeAndre Jordan I will be ecstatic. It's quite possible, too.

Even if that could be his ceiling it would be an enormous success/steal. Need some youthful energetic defense. Him and Bradley could be a nice young duo next to the rest of the starters.

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 12:05:57 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
A future core of Rondo, Bradley, Green, Sullinger, and Melo is looking better and better with these performances from Melo.  8)

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 12:35:40 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Everyone knew he could block shots.   However the real area he needs works on is his RPG.   6.6 RPG is not stellar, still it is nice to see the improvement and a nice game here and there like 22nd.  He has had some good games lately but he has had some stinkers too, which is why he is in the DL to work on his game, develop some skills and get better.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/fab_melo/career_stats.html

For crimminy's sake he had only 1 rebound the last game!

http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/fab_melo/game_by_game_stats.html

So it is not as rosy as some would have you believe here.   Some great games and some stinkers folks.

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 12:38:04 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
A future core of Rondo, Bradley, Green, Sullinger, and Melo is looking better and better with these performances from Melo.  8)

♫ Lottery team ♫

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 01:12:15 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
given that melo has played in so few games, it is hard to judge him by averages...but i will do so nonetheless.  ;D

it seems that he started off rather clueless and his stats show this for the first 8 games. but in the last 3 games, he seemed to have learned to play a lot better. or maybe he simply had a stretch of terrible opponents.

in any case, for the past three games melo has averaged....

35.3 minutes
20.3 points
8.3 blocks   :o
10.3 rebounds
4 fouls

yeah, 3 games do not tell us much of anything about consistency, but it is a good sign. maybe he is learning a lot from being a red claw. i sure hope he stays consistent and expands on his offensive game as well as rebounding as defense.

to be honest, i thought he was a bad pick by ainge, but if melo keep this up he will prove that ainge is brilliant and i am merely a CB poster.  :-[
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2012, 01:17:35 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
i sure hope he stays consistent and expands on his offensive game as well as rebounding as defense.

He said in his interview with Jessica Camerato that he's been working on his offensive game and crafting together a baby hook. That's really all I ask of for a 7 foot shot blocking center, finish dump off dunks, put backs, make layups, and when you need to get good position and go to the little baby hook. Although he has shown that he has somewhat of a 10-12 foot jumper (for dire situations).

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2012, 02:13:20 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

His rebounding needs work but he is making progress.   We all want this kid to pan out.

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2012, 03:51:43 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
When is the Red Claws next game?
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2012, 04:12:09 PM »

Offline ummidkme

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 12
When is the Red Claws next game?

Today at 8 pm you can watch it before the Cs game for free at http://www.nba.com/dleague/maine/

All their games play on youtube.