Author Topic: Bass, Green, and Lee for Okafor and Ariza  (Read 2699 times)

Bass, Green, and Lee for Okafor and Ariza
« on: December 28, 2012, 07:15:23 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
We might have to throw in a future #1.

Washington might do this since, as someone pointed out in another topic, Martell Webster is having a nice year and is sort of redundant with Ariza.  Ariza is shooting about a career low due to not really having a PG with Wall out. 

Is this possible?  I really like Ariza's length and defense, certainly more than Green's!!!

Smitty77

Re: Bass, Green, and Lee for Okafor and Ariza
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 07:25:01 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I would love to have Ariza. Much more so than Jeff Green.

Ariza is an upgrade over Green.

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 07:27:30 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
We might have to throw in a future #1.

Washington might do this since, as someone pointed out in another topic, Martell Webster is having a nice year and is sort of redundant with Ariza.  Ariza is shooting about a career low due to not really having a PG with Wall out. 

Is this possible?  I really like Ariza's length and defense, certainly more than Green's!!!

Smitty77

I like it. It be nicer if we could somehow land Nene as well.

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 07:29:45 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
I can't see Washington taking back all three of Bass, Green and Lee.

That is $21 million a year for the next 3 years and $16 million in the 4th year. Way too much payroll being tied up on role players for a rebuilding team like Washington.

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 07:53:07 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I can't see Washington taking back all three of Bass, Green and Lee.

That is $21 million a year for the next 3 years and $16 million in the 4th year. Way too much payroll being tied up on role players for a rebuilding team like Washington.

But they already have that much money committed to Okafor and Ariza for 2 of those 3-4 years anyways.  And the 3 players are all pretty useful players, none of which terribly overpaid, that could be traded to any contending team in need of depth in the future.

And speaking of rebuilding, Jeff Green has the potential to be a reasonably good "rebuilding" piece.  Certainly better rebuilding piece than Ariza or Okafor can be considered.  Anything better than him, they aren't getting cheaply.

This trade kind of seems like a wash to me from Washington's perspective.  I think a draft pick thrown in should seem like just enough to get it done.  I think it makes a ton of sense for Boston too.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 07:58:55 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474
kudos for at least coming up with a reasonable trade that addresses both the need for a big, and someone to replace JG behind PP.  There have been a lot of trade JG ideas thrown out that didn't replace us with even a decent backup for PP.

I am not completely sold on Okafor, but I believe this trade would make us better as long as Ariza came to play and put forth the effort.

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 07:59:49 PM »

Offline dunisho

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 5
I think we need a big who can help KG not only defensively but with scoring as well...okafor is offensively challenged...Nene perhaps would be a better fit...

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 01:31:39 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
There are two reasons why Nene is not a better fit.  He is very injury prone and he is owed $13 million next year, the year after, and the year after that I(ending in 2016).  PP's contract ends in 2014 and KG in 2015.  I cannot see Danny wanting to pay an over the hill Nene $13 million in 2015/2016.

Smitty77

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 01:39:38 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
No.

When he's on Green is a much better offensive player than Ariza, but a worse defensive player.  We'd be trading offense for defense, but off the bench I think we probably need offense more.

Okafor again is defensively oriented.  He would start with KG, which would mean only Terry, Barbosa, Ariza, Sully and Wilcox off the bench.

Terry is fine but Wilcox only scores off lobs, while Sully, Barbosa and Ariza are ver inconsistent offensively.

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 01:49:45 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS

with the way Green has been playing hell Matt Barnes is an upgrade over him
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 07:57:46 AM »

Offline Stig

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26
No Ariza please!!

as a former Rockets fan I can tell you Ariza has the worst ball handling skills among all SFs in the league.

when he's playing for Rockets he regularly produce 2/20 shoting stats..

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2012, 07:59:50 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Oh cmon now (no disrespect). Ariza is playing like garbage the past two years. You really think he's an upgrade over Jeff Green???
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2012, 08:10:37 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

Oh cmon now (no disrespect). Ariza is playing like garbage the past two years. You really think he's an upgrade over Jeff Green???
I don't care that much about Ariza's field goal percentages. I think he is the type of player who's shooting goes into the tank when he is bad situations offensively but can shoot the ball to a serviceable degree when placed in a good situation. In other words, I think Ariza is a guy who will do a lot better (offensively) in a better environment so I am not worried that he has struggled in bad environments.

In an offense like the Triangle or Rick Adelman's where there is lots of movement and cutting (Ariza is an excellent cutter). Where Ariza can be involved. Where he  can touch the ball and feel part of the game. He is not a good player when asked to stand in the corner and space the floor. That is not his game. Too weak a shooter for that.

I am a big admirer of Ariza's defense and possession creation skills. Very disruptive team defender. Excellent defensive range. Can cover PGs, SGs, SFs all at a very high level. Extremely athletic. Great at forcing turnovers. Solid rebounder.

I've always been a big fan of Ariza's. I consider him a middle of the pack starting SF. I'd rate Jeff Green a bit lower (high teens, early twenties = solid but below average starting SF).
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 08:15:56 AM by Who »

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2012, 08:20:35 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

I don't care that much about Ariza's field goal percentages. I think he is the type of player who's shooting goes into the tank when he is bad situations offensively but can shoot the ball to a serviceable degree when placed in a good situation. In other words, I think Ariza is a guy who will do a lot better (offensively) in a better environment so I am not worried that he has struggled in bad environments.

In an offense like the Triangle or Rick Adelman's where there is lots of movement and cutting (Ariza is an excellent cutter). Where Ariza can be involved. Where he  can touch the ball and feel part of the game. He is not a good player when asked to stand in the corner and space the floor. That is not his game. Too weak a shooter for that.

I am a big admirer of Ariza's defense and possession creation skills. Very disruptive team defender. Excellent defensive range. Can cover PGs, SGs, SFs all at a very high level. Extremely athletic. Great at forcing turnovers. Solid rebounder.

I've always been a big fan of Ariza's. I consider him a middle of the pack starting SF. I'd rate Jeff Green a bit lower (high teens, early twenties = solid but below average starting SF).

Good point. I guess I'm holding on potential of Green which is why I think he's better.
\
I think Green while not a better defender than Ariza, is good enough. Size wise, he's a plus. He has more offensive capablities than Ariza, he can post, shoot midrange and drive the lane. Let's remember Jeff Green in OKC was a really good player, borderline starter. The problem is if we get that Green back.

But I like your Ariza points.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2012, 08:27:52 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
Let's remember Jeff Green in OKC was a really good player, borderline starter. The problem is if we get that Green back.

Green started 261 of 289 games for OKC.  That isn't "borderline starter."   He's wasn't "really good" there either. His stats were at or below the league average for his position and minutes.