Poll

Was Ainge tricked into thinking our window was still open by last years run?

yes
9 (27.3%)
no
24 (72.7%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: Was the deep playoff run last year a bad thing overall?  (Read 3260 times)

Was the deep playoff run last year a bad thing overall?
« on: December 28, 2012, 03:13:51 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
Was the deep playoff run last year a bad thing overall?

Now I'll be one of the first to admit that a deep Celtics playoff run is one of the best/fun events in sports. But did it cost us in the long run?

Would we have been better off getting knocked out early and possibly starting a rebuilding process instead of loading up again?

Did last years run trick Ainge into thinking the window was still open?

Re: Was the deep playoff run last year a bad thing overall?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 03:16:49 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Not convinced the window is closed yet.

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 03:20:51 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

The window is still open, but just a crack.  If you could look at the Celtics and say they were playing well but just coming up short, that would mean it was over for them.  But this is more like a couple years ago when the guys flat out did not compete some nights and the team was .500 for the last 2/3rds of the season.

Mike

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 03:28:07 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1551

The window is still open, but just a crack.  If you could look at the Celtics and say they were playing well but just coming up short, that would mean it was over for them.  But this is more like a couple years ago when the guys flat out did not compete some nights and the team was .500 for the last 2/3rds of the season.

Mike

I sure hope you do not hold doc accountable for that. NOTHING is his fault! Did you not get the memo?  ;D
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 04:41:46 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Nope.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 04:43:31 PM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
No.  I don't think Ainge was tricked, but the ocational fan was.

Lots of fans point to the Celtics heroic playoff run where we took the Heat to 7 games before lossing the series. 

It is important to the ocational fan to understand the following:

1. DRose got injured during the Philly/Chicago series.

2. The ocational fan seems to forget that the Sixers - a
   much lesser team - took the Cs to 7 games.

3.  Cs made a galant effort against Miami, but it always
    felt like when Miami wanted - they shifted to a gear
    our crew couldn't reach.....almost like toying with
    us.

In the end, they(Miami) won the last two games going
away.  Not even close....

..so, in short, DAinge wasn't fooled into believing, but the ocational fan was probably fooled by the Celtics deep run.

Maybe with ABradley would have been different, maybe not.  We'll never really know...

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 04:44:40 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!

Lots of fans point to the Celtics heroic playoff run where we took the Heat to 7 games before lossing the series. 

us.

..so, in short, DAinge wasn't fooled into believing, but the ocational fan was probably fooled by the Celtics deep run.

Maybe with ABradley would have been different, maybe not.  We'll never really know...

Well if Ainge wasn't tricked, why did we load up again?

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 05:30:10 PM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146

us.

Well if Ainge wasn't tricked, why did we load up again?

All can be traded.  Nothing that can't be undone.

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 06:32:11 PM »

Offline celtics2

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 42
This is not a window but a peep hole.

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 06:38:39 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359

us.

our bench in the playoffs last year was Dooling, pietrus and Hollins...we had ray allen on one ankle and Pierce on one leg with a sprained MCL

and still took Miami to 7 games...in the end our lack of depth/injuries did us in..miami wasnt toying with us

notable injuries:
jeff green
chris wilcox
avery bradley(the guy who transformed our season)
Jermaine o'neal

sure you can say "well D-rose was injured, what if he wasn?" you can play the game of what-ifs all day. what if Jeff green/bradley/JO/wilcox/allen/pierce were all healthy?

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 06:39:31 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
No, I don't think the playoff run was a bad thing nor do I think anyone was tricked.

I think the problem was Ainge had a HORRIBLE offseason. Looking back, acquiring Terry, Lee and Collins and resigning Bass and Green was just nowhere near good enough.

Especially when players like OJ Mayo and Jamaal Crawford (you know, the guy draining the 3s last night) were available.

Also, you look at the Clippers bench, and they are STACKED! The Celtics have no depth (at least not in the front court.)

Ainge just had a horrible offseason. What's more, Ainge has been doing a pretty horrendous job the last couple years.

He just decided to rest on this laurels and more or less recycle last year's team with a couple mediocre pick-ups instead of trying to make this year's team a championship caliber team

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 06:43:31 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
No, I don't think the playoff run was a bad thing nor do I think anyone was tricked.

I think the problem was Ainge had a HORRIBLE offseason. Looking back, acquiring Terry, Lee and Collins and resigning Bass and Green was just nowhere near good enough.

Especially when players like OJ Mayo and Jamaal Crawford (you know, the guy draining the 3s last night) were available.

Also, you look at the Clippers bench, and they are STACKED! The Celtics have no depth (at least not in the front court.)

Ainge just had a horrible offseason. What's more, Ainge has been doing a pretty horrendous job the last couple years.

He just decided to rest on this laurels and more or less recycle last year's team with a couple mediocre pick-ups instead of trying to make this year's team a championship caliber team

We reportedly would have had Crawford or Mayo if Ray had made up his mind to stab us in the back earlier and allowed us to fully focus on them instead of waiting for him.

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2012, 07:13:35 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

We reportedly would have had Crawford or Mayo if Ray had made up his mind to stab us in the back earlier and allowed us to fully focus on them instead of waiting for him.

Crawford needs the ball to play well. I doubt he would work in our system.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2012, 07:25:50 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

Crawford needs the ball to play well. I doubt he would work in our system.

Lol, got news for you. Whatever our system is right now, it ain't workin!

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2012, 07:30:48 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

That may be, but if that's the case, shame on Danny Ainge. As a GM, in my opinion you're not doing your job if you're getting "back stabbed" by a player (as much as I hate Ray Allen.)

As a GM, it's your job to understand when to continue trying to court a player and when to walk away and look elsewhere.