Author Topic: So um, doc just gets a free pass huh?  (Read 5900 times)

Re: So um, doc just gets a free pass huh?
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2012, 12:00:31 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
No one in this organization gets a pass. Not Danny not Doc and certainly not any of the players. But with that said none of them should shoulder all the blame either. Pro sports has become to quick to point blame. Right now the team just isnt performing. Players need to play better, Doc needs to figure out the rotation and Danny needs to give Doc a better option in the middle. If all three happen the ship will be righted. If not this team flounders. Under no circumstances do we look to make any coaching changes. The best franchises are the ones that have consistency. Look at the sloan lead Jazz or the Popovich lead spurs.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2012, 12:03:00 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
We were worse off at this time last year and we turned out all right... Still not worried.

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2012, 12:12:17 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
when folks like us questioned the rotation and the lack of playing time for our bigs we were almost run from the board. 'Give Doc time', they protested. Now no one will fess up that we were right all along about Doc.

This idea that coming one game to the finals last year is a victory is not what the Boston Celtics organization is made of. We lost, and losing is never okay. We could say Doc never had a chance with Bosh on the court last year, or that all Doc had to do was defend his home court to get to the finals and he could not do, or win one out of two and he could not do that. Bottom line is he failed last year, he did not pass. So lets stoip using last year to defend Doc.

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2012, 12:23:42 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
Sure he gets a pass.  He has a history of tightening up the team in the playoffs. It will happen again.  They'll probably win a series or two but fail to bring home a trophy.

If anything,  this is your fault for buying into this team.   It never had a serious chance of competing for a championship with an old KG and old Paul Pierce.   Rondo isn't going to overcome their ages.  Courtney Lee and Jason Terry?  Please.    Jeff Green is and has always been a fraud.   If anything this goes on Danny for going down this road one too many times.   

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2012, 12:24:15 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I guess that I am part of a shrinking minority here but I still think Doc is one of the best coaches in the league.  Say we fire him and hire Avery Johnson, think we would be better?  I don't.

I think what is going on is that Pierce and KG are older than we thought, Terry, Green, and Lee aren't as good as we thought, and Rondo isn't LeBron and able to carry a mediocre team to the finals.

You can nit pic Doc as he is not perfect but I for one am happy enough with Doc.

« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2012, 12:28:53 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1551
Although I would like us to have a better record at this point you have to give Doc a pass. Why you ask? because they had a similar record at this time last year and came together to make a deep playoff run. It's a long season, one in which it's more important to be playing your best at the end than at the beginning.

Everyone forgets that last year was completely skewed because of the strike. Every veteran Celtics player was out of shape, which was the main reason for their awful record at the all star break. They do not have that excuse this year. They have had 28 games and they look worse now than they did earlier in the season. They have lost 5 of their last 7 games and find it hard to beat any team that has a little more than a pulse. This isn't last year.

ding ding ding we have a winner!
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2012, 12:34:58 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1551
Sure he gets a pass.  He has a history of tightening up the team in the playoffs. It will happen again.  They'll probably win a series or two but fail to bring home a trophy.

If anything,  this is your fault for buying into this team.   It never had a serious chance of competing for a championship with an old KG and old Paul Pierce.   Rondo isn't going to overcome their ages.  Courtney Lee and Jason Terry?  Please.    Jeff Green is and has always been a fraud.   If anything this goes on Danny for going down this road one too many times.   

puhleeze. Those two guys are still very good at their respective positions. Put KG at the 5 and he is top 5 in the east easily. stop blaming them. it is the others and the coaching that is the problem here. or should i say lack of others? That old KG and PP had us within one quarter of a 3rd finals appearance in 5 years and that was with no bench. Yeah dump them now and see where we go. TO THE BASEMENT in the east most probably. We have to make a trade with others.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2012, 12:36:09 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
Doesn't matter if you get swept or lose in 7.

So then what does it really matter if we are playing .500-ball then? If we win it all, then what's the big deal?

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2012, 12:38:40 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
Although I would like us to have a better record at this point you have to give Doc a pass. Why you ask? because they had a similar record at this time last year and came together to make a deep playoff run. It's a long season, one in which it's more important to be playing your best at the end than at the beginning.

Everyone forgets that last year was completely skewed because of the strike. Every veteran Celtics player was out of shape, which was the main reason for their awful record at the all star break. They do not have that excuse this year. They have had 28 games and they look worse now than they did earlier in the season. They have lost 5 of their last 7 games and find it hard to beat any team that has a little more than a pulse. This isn't last year.

Every team was out of shape, not just the Celtics...

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2012, 12:40:35 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
I guess that I am part of a shrinking minority here but I still think Doc is one of the best coaches in the league.  Say we fire him and hire Avery Johnson, think we would be better?  I don't.

I think what is going on is that Pierce and KG are older than we thought, Terry, Green, and Lee aren't as good as we thought, and Rondo isn't LeBron and able to carry a mediocre team to the finals.

You can nit pic Doc as he is not perfect but I for one am happy enough with Doc.

You are not in the "shrinking minority." Doc is roundly considered one of the top coaches in the game.

« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2012, 12:54:22 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I am not sure Doc is getting a free pass.  He has been bashed pretty bad on this site at least.

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2012, 01:03:10 PM »

Offline GrandTheftRondo

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
Pretty much, yeah. Doc's track record here over the last few years has earned him that.

Um, no, it hasn't. Last 3 years, zero championships. Considering every one of those years was considered a championship or bust year his TRACK RECORD ain't great. Definitely not good enough to completely ignore his coaching decisions this year........can't believe i even have to say that.

TP.

The expectations for this team have sunk lower and lower and lower with each passing season. What happened to Celtics Pride? What happened to championship or bust? What happened to "Its all about 18"???

Our whole team getting beat by one Lebron James in Game 6 at home and ultimately losing Game 7 in the ECF is considered "us turning out all right" last season?

Wow.

Doc gets outcoached on a regular basis, can't draw up a game winning play that isn't Paul Pierce iso to save his life, is OBSESSED with small ball even though it DOES NOT work, cannot properly manage rotations based on the flow of the game...He's overrated. Always has been. When people used to rave about him i used to wonder what they saw. I think people mistake good player relations for actual coaching.

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2012, 01:25:07 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Idc what anyone of you say. Nobody expected this team to be 500 right now. Everybody had high hopes for this team. I personally thought danny had one of the better off seasons hands down. Since when can a team with championship hopes play poorly and the coach get off easy?

I am not a coach, not my job. That being said i am 100 percent convinced if coached correctly this is NOT a 500 team. It might not be a championship team but it is NOT a 500 team. They are playing like one now tho.

People on these boards have no problem throwing out blame after every loss. Except when the blame is directed at the one area that probably deserves the most of it. Granted some of you do give doc blame so I'm not talking about you guys.

All I'm saying is I'm tired of doc getting a free pass. He was given a good enough team to work with. He is making a team with alot of talent look extremely mediocre right now and yes this team does have talent despite what some of you would like to believe.

Again, I'm not saying we're good enough to win it all with this team constructed as is. What i am saying is we're better than this. What I'm saying is its time for the coach to get some blame and alot of it. Just my 2 cents.
Hope should never be the basis of business decisions.

Before the season, way more than half the teams hoped to have winning records by now, though that is practically mathematically impossible.

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2012, 01:28:10 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Pretty much, yeah. Doc's track record here over the last few years has earned him that.

Um, no, it hasn't. Last 3 years, zero championships. Considering every one of those years was considered a championship or bust year his TRACK RECORD ain't great. Definitely not good enough to completely ignore his coaching decisions this year........can't believe i even have to say that.
Last 3 years, Popovich has zero championships. He should be fired.

Be prepared for disappointment if you are thinking "championship or bust" when you aren't even the best team in the league. You don't fire a coach because fans have unrealistic expectations.

« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2012, 02:08:30 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas

Last 3 years, Popovich has zero championships. He should be fired.

Be prepared for disappointment if you are thinking "championship or bust" when you aren't even the best team in the league. You don't fire a coach because fans have unrealistic expectations.

TP.