Author Topic: So um, doc just gets a free pass huh?  (Read 5930 times)

Re: So um, doc just gets a free pass huh?
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2012, 02:09:20 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Pretty much, yeah. Doc's track record here over the last few years has earned him that.

Um, no, it hasn't. Last 3 years, zero championships. Considering every one of those years was considered a championship or bust year his TRACK RECORD ain't great. Definitely not good enough to completely ignore his coaching decisions this year........can't believe i even have to say that.
Last 3 years, Popovich has zero championships. He should be fired.

Be prepared for disappointment if you are thinking "championship or bust" when you aren't even the best team in the league. You don't fire a coach because fans have unrealistic expectations.
Yeah you fire him when your star player cries to ownership.

(Sad but true)

« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2012, 02:11:20 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
he gets a free pass from me, yeah

best coach this team has had in ages and one of the top ones in the league

I'm more willing to blame Danny than Doc but I'm not sure exactly what else either of them could have done better - but that's just me
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2012, 02:25:29 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
Pretty much, yeah. Doc's track record here over the last few years has earned him that.

Um, no, it hasn't. Last 3 years, zero championships. Considering every one of those years was considered a championship or bust year his TRACK RECORD ain't great. Definitely not good enough to completely ignore his coaching decisions this year........can't believe i even have to say that.
Last 3 years, Popovich has zero championships. He should be fired.

Be prepared for disappointment if you are thinking "championship or bust" when you aren't even the best team in the league. You don't fire a coach because fans have unrealistic expectations.

well said.  TP.

« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2012, 02:26:41 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
I don't understand how some can blame doc. Did he forget how to coach over the summer? Or was it KG, and Pierce have declined, Green isn't what Ainge thought he was, and Terry is 35?

« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2012, 02:28:54 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
I think Doc is one of the top 5 coaches in the league.  I think for our current team (KG, PP, Rondo) he is the best choice.

So yeah, he gets a pass from me as well.  That doesn't mean he is perfect.  But then none of us on this forum are NBA championship coaches.  Some of us act like it though.

« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2012, 02:32:26 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
the pluses far outweight  the minuses. 

He is one of the better coachs in the NBA .   But like Phil Jackson knows , you can't win championships with out elite players. It takes great players.

NBA coachs are so different from college coaches . 

Danny has put together a good team, but not an overpowering team like when Shaq was playing good for the C's.

Rondo isn't a Kobe type of player , he can't just decide to score 40 points . ROndo needs biggger and better FP and Centers to play with.

I think Doc is searching for an answer with what he has got ,and the result is against elite teams we are gonna need younger elite players at the 4/5 for consistancy.

Doc gets a pass , maybe a lower grade than I thought , but I'm not failing him .

« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2012, 02:34:23 PM »

Offline badshar

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 72
People who create these threads need to use their brains a little bit.

What do you want? You wanna fire Doc this year? Go ahead, but then don't cry that the C's didn't win a championship. If Doc leaves mid season this year, that creates a major problem within the team, and all championship hopes go down the drain. Rarely, if ever, do teams win championship the same season that their head coach leaves.

Seriously, use some logic.

Doc is not the only reason this team is playing awful.

What about Jason Terry failing beyond imagination in his shots?
What about Lee doing awful?
What about Bass playing worse than last year?
What about Avery Bradley not playing?
What about Pierce hogging the ball?
What about Rondo taking more jumpshots than usual?
What about Jason Collins playing so awful?
What about us as a team forcing plays again and again when they are clearly not working?
What about Leandro Barbosa not playing?

Seriously, you guys need to use some common sense and some intelligence before create garbage threads like these.

« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2012, 02:53:05 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Doc has proven himself to be a good coach, certainly above average by NBA standards, and you can't blame him for players getting old or just flat out sucking.

But this season there are probably more things that you clearly CAN blame Doc for than at maybe anytime during his tenure in Boston.

1.  Sully.  He clearly fell in love with the guy and put him in the starting lineup, but then wasn't willing to allow Sully to go through the inevitable growing pains that all rookies have.  It was beyond dump to yank Bass out of the starting line up if Doc wasn't committed to Sully playing his way through his mistakes.

2.  Terry and Lee.  Both guys have to take responsibility for their poor play, but Doc has to take responsibility for his either stupid or lazy decision to just force each of them into the role Ray used to play on this team, ignoring the fact that neither of them are Ray, that Ray was sick of playing the role himself and that the role had become less and less effective.

3.  Darko.  Doc probably wasn't the only or even the main reason Darko abandoned ship, but getting exiled to the bench after just 5 minutes of regular season play couldn't have helped.  And let me point out that Avery Bradley pretty consistently looked like hot garbage during his rookie season and the start of his second year, yet Doc continued to give him minutes.  Darko, however, got the "Nenad Krstic in the playoffs 2 years ago" treatment for reasons only Doc knows.

4.  Defense.  Again, the players are at fault but there's no way this team should look this bad.  Coaching has to be playing a part in it, such as realizing there are situations when Terry really can't be on the floor.

5.  Waiting until nearly 30 games into the season before realizing this team needs to play at a faster pace.  That's the one thing I like about the Clipper game.  The team was clearly committed to trying to run and play within a freer, less stagnant offense.  The problem was that Boston is now trying to learn that style and the Clippers have it down pat.

Mike

« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2012, 02:56:29 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1557
People who create these threads need to use their brains a little bit.

What do you want? You wanna fire Doc this year? Go ahead, but then don't cry that the C's didn't win a championship. If Doc leaves mid season this year, that creates a major problem within the team, and all championship hopes go down the drain. Rarely, if ever, do teams win championship the same season that their head coach leaves.

Seriously, use some logic.

Doc is not the only reason this team is playing awful.

What about Jason Terry failing beyond imagination in his shots?
What about Lee doing awful?
What about Bass playing worse than last year?
What about Avery Bradley not playing?
What about Pierce hogging the ball?
What about Rondo taking more jumpshots than usual?
What about Jason Collins playing so awful?
What about us as a team forcing plays again and again when they are clearly not working?
What about Leandro Barbosa not playing?

Seriously, you guys need to use some common sense and some intelligence before create garbage threads like these.

so doc is not responsible? he cannot tell PP to not hog the ball? he cannot stop forcing the same plays on JET that he used on RA? He is not at fault for Barbosa not playing? forcing plays? is the coach not supposed to tell the players what he wants to run? Look, it took a third of a season for doc to get his players to attack the basket for close to 48 minutes. doc is not responsible for not posting up green and sully more? wow. just wow.

what is doc responsible for then?
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2012, 03:05:38 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
Doc has proven himself to be a good coach, certainly above average by NBA standards, and you can't blame him for players getting old or just flat out sucking.

But this season there are probably more things that you clearly CAN blame Doc for than at maybe anytime during his tenure in Boston.

1.  Sully.  He clearly fell in love with the guy and put him in the starting lineup, but then wasn't willing to allow Sully to go through the inevitable growing pains that all rookies have.  It was beyond dump to yank Bass out of the starting line up if Doc wasn't committed to Sully playing his way through his mistakes.

2.  Terry and Lee.  Both guys have to take responsibility for their poor play, but Doc has to take responsibility for his either stupid or lazy decision to just force each of them into the role Ray used to play on this team, ignoring the fact that neither of them are Ray, that Ray was sick of playing the role himself and that the role had become less and less effective.

3.  Darko.  Doc probably wasn't the only or even the main reason Darko abandoned ship, but getting exiled to the bench after just 5 minutes of regular season play couldn't have helped.  And let me point out that Avery Bradley pretty consistently looked like hot garbage during his rookie season and the start of his second year, yet Doc continued to give him minutes.  Darko, however, got the "Nenad Krstic in the playoffs 2 years ago" treatment for reasons only Doc knows.

4.  Defense.  Again, the players are at fault but there's no way this team should look this bad.  Coaching has to be playing a part in it, such as realizing there are situations when Terry really can't be on the floor.

5.  Waiting until nearly 30 games into the season before realizing this team needs to play at a faster pace.  That's the one thing I like about the Clipper game.  The team was clearly committed to trying to run and play within a freer, less stagnant offense.  The problem was that Boston is now trying to learn that style and the Clippers have it down pat.

Mike

I'm totatlly with you on Sully in the starting lineup. I was so pumped to see him get the starts, then was disappointed in Doc that he yanked him so quick.

« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2012, 03:14:01 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
You know what the Celtics need? Some SVG! Don't you guys miss that whiny nasally voice screaming out  "DEFENSE" and stomping his short little legs up and down the sideline.

Sorry guys Doc is a great coach and those of you who want to fire him aren't paying attention. He is one of 3 reasons any free agents will come here. I'm keeping him.

« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2012, 03:33:40 PM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
I don't give out credit for losing. This whole *Being up 3-2* thing is silly to me. Doesn't matter if you get swept or lose in 7. Before Lee came here he was considered a very solid defender and solid player all around. Now all of a sudden he sucks and can't do squat right. Terry, great ray allen replacement. Well, until you try to use him exactly the way you used ray allen. I can go on and on, this team is better than this. Doc isn't putting them in the best possible situation to succeed.

TP for that

Totally agree. And that up 3-2 argument is not the best to bring up, ESPECIALLY for Doc, who is a pro of losing when up 3-2

2009, Up 3-2 to the Magic but lost
2010, Up 3-2 to the Lakers but lost
2012, Up 3-2 to the Heat but lost

Doc reminds me alot of Spoelstra. Average coach, but needs a team with overwhelming talent to overcome his coaching deficiencies. And if he's only good for motivational speeches, I rather Richard Simmons be the Celtic's coach

« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2012, 03:34:11 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Anyone who wants to fire Doc should first come up with a list of 8 NBA teams who you would be willing to swap head coaches with.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2012, 03:45:07 PM »

Offline KG_ended_Bias

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 51
What Doc needs is a Center with a pulse. Not just a hack & foul giver! Jason Collins shouldn't be in the league anymore & yet he's starting. Awful! I thought Darko should have been starting game 1 & playing 25-30 mins a game.  Barbosa should also be playing & getting significant minutes at backup PG, The J.T. experiment at as back up PG is a train wreck. Also Jeff Green needs to start at the 3, Put Pierce at 2 & go make a play in a trade for a real center by dealing Bass, Melo, Lee & only include Sully if its a bonafide borderline allstar or future stud. But something needs to done very quickly when the trade season is official because that new unit will need time to gel. We can't win without a true center, KG is not a strong enough rebounder to play there anymore.

« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2012, 03:49:42 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1557
Anyone who wants to fire Doc should first come up with a list of 8 NBA teams who you would be willing to swap head coaches with.

I have yet to see a person in this thread say they want doc fired. I see legit constructive criticisms. Now i think the guy that started the "doc needs to go" thread wanted him gone but he is the ONLY one i can think of.
LET'S GO CELTICS!