Author Topic: I thought Sully was mainly known for his offense?  (Read 1153 times)

I thought Sully was mainly known for his offense?
« on: December 28, 2012, 08:14:33 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
The past few games the kid has really surprised me on the defensive end. Blatche and even Griffin really had all they could handle vs Sully. If he is not boxing out properly, he is raising his arms contesting all shots approaching his way or fouling opponents hard making them think twice before trying to get an easy bucket. Our interior defense these days is like night and day, when he is on the court it seems.

His footwork has improved from the start of the year and i can really see now why his strong body is his biggest weapon. Even if you have 3 inches on him, he won't allow you to get a chance to come in his area to grab a rebound or get a tip in. Compared to the beginning of the year i have yet to see him get burnt one on one.

I think it was the last game , where Chris Webber was asked if Sullinger can be a player the way his body is now. He stated that he won't be a truly effective player unless he loses 15 pounds. Than he will be able to jump higher and be quicker on the court. Not sure about this statement. What happens if he loses 15 pounds, doesn't get any quicker and loses too much strength??

The biggest disappointment i've seen all year was how guys like Pierce or Rondo never passed him the ball vs the clippers. He only scored 16 points the game before and he got literally 2 touches. Its a waste of talent on the court.

Bottom line, i'm really starting to love this kid. He is the anti Cousins. Never complains and just keeps trucking out there on the court. He is running much better these days , with improved stamina. Even for Cousins consider myself hesitant to trade him. 
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 08:20:43 PM by triboy16f »

Re: I thought Sully was mainly known for his offense?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 08:20:07 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
I love Sullinger. I just don't understand why Doc insists on limiting his use. Why doesn't he call a few plays to post Sullinger on the low block, considering that that is what Sullinger does best? He also has a very good outside shot, which he rarely uses.

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 08:20:58 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I think it was the last game , where Chris Webber was asked if Sullinger can be a player the way his body is now. He stated that he won't be a truly effective player unless he loses 15 pounds. Than he will be able to jump higher and be quicker on the court. Not sure about this statement. What happens if he loses 15 pounds, doesn't get any quicker and loses too much strength??

That is what the scouts said happened from his freshman year to sophomore year at Ohio State. Sullinger dropped a load of weight but didn't gain any quickness, mobility or explosiveness.

Just decreased his ability to hold position in the post.

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 08:22:52 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I love Sullinger. I just don't understand why Doc insists on limiting his use. Why doesn't he call a few plays to post Sullinger on the low block, considering that that is what Sullinger does best? He also has a very good outside shot, which he rarely uses.

i hope your wrong that , its on Doc for not giving him any calls. Bc that is retarded. Sully is known for his offense and finding creative ways to score. Last game vs the clips if he gets a chance to get Griffin in foul trouble, maybe that changes the dynamics of the game. Maybe he bulldozes a few shots in and now guys like Pierce have more room to operate from the perimeter. I guess Doc nor Rondo/Pierce are thinking out there

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 08:38:47 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Because he's short, doesn't really jump well and struggles finishing over bigger/more athletic big men. The post ups he's had this year - the one's I've seen anyway - he got blocked.

Sully had a great postgame at Ohio and was able to dominate, but he needs to figure out how to finish against NBA sized defenders in the post.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 08:38:59 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

That is what the scouts said happened from his freshman year to sophomore year at Ohio State. Sullinger dropped a load of weight but didn't gain any quickness, mobility or explosiveness.

Just decreased his ability to hold position in the post.

I see your point but i think it was necessary he lost weight from his freshman days to today or else he would have stamina issues. He is running end to end these days with ease compared to how he was in the beginning of the year.

I think he could get maybe 5 pounds lighter, but anymore could be a detriment to his career.

But from there , what happens? Is he a ft pf or c?? You mainly have internal problems if he can't play a defined position (especially if he is your projected starter down the line). Right now, he is guarding centers usually but wants to play against PF's when he has the ball on offense.  But thats something you can't control and he would prob be stuck playing centers. He could get them off their games by hitting jump shots, but when it doesn't go in, he may struggle down low with length/athleticism. If he plays against faster pf's or a small lineup, he might have issues on the defensive end , though a easier time on the offensive end, bullying shots in.

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 08:51:08 PM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
I'd love to get Cousins just as much as the next man. But this is a great thread, TP. It's been lost to me in this slow up and down season that to this point this has been the lone bright spot. The rookie can play. And play well. He's defensively a lot further than i was expecting and as others have said, his game offensively can be incredibly effective. He just needs the ball more.

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 09:30:48 PM »

Online cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 365
I'd personally like to see them utilize the same plays they use for bass with sully (the pick&pops/rolls)

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 09:33:56 PM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 284
  • Bleed Green, Die Green
If we somehow acquire DMC without giving up Sully or too much of our roster, that would be a very decent front court in the future, 2 to 3 years from now our line up would be.

Cousins
Sullinger
Green (hopefully the @$$hol3 version of jeff green)
Bradley
Rondo

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 09:59:11 PM »

Offline ctrey

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 110
He is. They run no plays for him right now on offense. Still, per 36 minutes he is averaging 10 points and 10 boards a game.

My thought is eventually he is a 17 point, 11 rebound a game player. In fact he reminds me a lot of when Al Jefferson was a second year player, playing almost the same minutes with the same stats.

In fact, he and Al have almost the same measurements and jump numbers. Difference between Al and Jared is Jared is a much better passer and outside shooter along with being a better rebounder. Al, I would concede was a better scorer around the basket his second year (when he was 20, like Sullinger) However they did run plays for Jefferson as the team was not very good then and he was a real option off the bench. Jefferson also never gives up the rock when he gets it. Sullinger is talented and willing passer.

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 10:13:05 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

Because he's short, doesn't really jump well and struggles finishing over bigger/more athletic big men. The post ups he's had this year - the one's I've seen anyway - he got blocked.

Sully had a great postgame at Ohio and was able to dominate, but he needs to figure out how to finish against NBA sized defenders in the post.

He's not Glen Davis. From what I've seen during his time as a celtic, he is incredibly good at finding ways to get his shot off under the basket against opposing big men.

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 10:14:44 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
He is. They run no plays for him right now on offense. Still, per 36 minutes he is averaging 10 points and 10 boards a game.

My thought is eventually he is a 17 point, 11 rebound a game player. In fact he reminds me a lot of when Al Jefferson was a second year player, playing almost the same minutes with the same stats.

In fact, he and Al have almost the same measurements and jump numbers. Difference between Al and Jared is Jared is a much better passer and outside shooter along with being a better rebounder. Al, I would concede was a better scorer around the basket his second year (when he was 20, like Sullinger) However they did run plays for Jefferson as the team was not very good then and he was a real option off the bench. Jefferson also never gives up the rock when he gets it. Sullinger is talented and willing passer.

Sully can become a better all around player than Al, but prob won't be as prolific scorer as big game al. Al has all sorts of tools, from pump fakes, dizzying arrays of spin moves and knowing how to use angles off backboards.

Its too bad Sully isn't a inch or two taller or had 2 more inches in his wingspan. I guess this is where Chris Webber's comment comes in that he needs to lose 15 more pounds to get more elevation to make up the lack of height.

If he can't lose 15 more pounds or shouldn't bc he can't get anymore quicker, Sully has to figure out ways to score against taller guys. And i think last game he showed glimpse of doing this by receiving the ball down low, making contact while in the air and making reach "hook" shots in. Not pretty but in both times, the taller guys couldn't stop it and went in. I'd like to see him execute this in the post iso sitatuions. Eventually he gets  few in, then he can seem like he will do the reach hook but stop, fake, and shoot an easy one under his man who just jumped to "cheat" block him.  Al was great at utilizing this move.  Or another move he could try , is get the ball down low in the post, move his man back a little and spin into the basket for a quick flip off the backboard. Or another move, get the ball at the post, turn his body to face his man and shoot a quick jump shot.

OK basically i'm telling you all of big Al's signature moves =]. But honestly it works for al who is by no means quick or athletic nor has amazing height. Maybe we could buy Al's time for some tutorial service for Sully