Author Topic: Someone come defend the worst C's team in their History.  (Read 9058 times)

Re: Someone come defend the worst C's team in their History.
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2012, 10:57:21 AM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Orien Greene and Brandon Hunter? Dominique Wilkens in '95? Ugh.

Who said it would be easy for Danny to reconfigure this team from an aging contender to a younger version that still incorporates old players? He is trying to pull off a pretty tough task! We have lots of quality players ... just a lack of paint presence and harmony (yes harmony) in the way we play.

I avoided this post for a while because of the title, but it's refreshing to read some of the responses.

« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2012, 11:06:39 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
The ML Carr years! Yes, the days when I could get a seat on gameday for 10 dollars and I could walk up to the players on their way in or out of the garden and have long conversations with them, those where the days! David Wesley used to take the T to the game and walk into the sidedoor of the garden holding his sneakers. Never nervous Pervis driving a old beat up jeep would stop and talk to us for 45 minutes. Dino Radja would walk out of the locker room and over to the celtics bench DURING the national anthem and sign autographs along the way, smelling of cigarrettes. Antoine Walker thought he was already a hall of fame player and it was only a matter of time before his number would hang from the rafters. Yep, those were the days.

« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2012, 11:09:24 AM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
To the OP:

Here's a link to the record of every Celtics team.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/BOS/

Do some homework and either change the title to this threat, or explain how this team is worst than the 15 win 1997 team or  the dreadful Curtis Rowe-Marvin Barnes 29 win 1979 team.

« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2012, 11:22:12 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
And, you don't remember the absolute 24-win garbage the Celtics put out there as recently as 2006-7 - despite the constant calls on this board to put that group of flotsam and jetsam back together.
Really?  I see you say this all the time, but where are all these threads about Wally Szczerbiak, Ryan Gomes, Allan Ray, Sebastian Telfair, Kevinn Pinkney, Olowokandi, etc?

I've seen threads about Tony Allen, Al Jefferson, Delonte West, Kendrick Perkins, all NBA rotation players.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2012, 12:03:46 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
And, you don't remember the absolute 24-win garbage the Celtics put out there as recently as 2006-7 - despite the constant calls on this board to put that group of flotsam and jetsam back together.
Really?  I see you say this all the time, but where are all these threads about Wally Szczerbiak, Ryan Gomes, Allan Ray, Sebastian Telfair, Kevinn Pinkney, Olowokandi, etc?

I've seen threads about Tony Allen, Al Jefferson, Delonte West, Kendrick Perkins, all NBA rotation players.

Rotation players, yes, but not franchise cornerstones by any means, which is what some people thought they were to us at the time. Gerald Green, Sebastian Telfair, Perkins, bi Al all were once considered untouchable by some people on here.

« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2012, 12:10:13 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Certainly not even close to the worst team we've ever had by a long long long shot. However I will agree that there is no effort, no spark, and no desire from this team. A lot of blank stares and just constant not caring it seems like.

We need someone firey up front. Someone to get excited about the plays they make, someone to stare down a defender after a blocked shot, someone to take it to the rim hard, and make people think twice about coming into the lane.

« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2012, 12:26:50 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

Rotation players, yes, but not franchise cornerstones by any means, which is what some people thought they were to us at the time. Gerald Green, Sebastian Telfair, Perkins, bi Al all were once considered untouchable by some people on here.
What does that have to do with wanting them back?  We had 3-4 cornerstones at that point, they would've been role players.  Of course they were our cornerstones pre-big-3, that team sucked and people wanted to keep them because they were our only good players.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2012, 12:45:09 PM »

Offline celtics2

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 42
This team lost it's Pacifier. Ray Allen. He could wait patiently till Pierce or KG ran their luck out and pick up where they left off or just go off on his own. It will take years to re build this team. And that's with better Management.

« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2012, 12:55:41 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

There have been threads on this board advocating the return of Gomes in every off-season since he was jettisoned.

Fewer threads for Sebustian Tellfailure, but they have been there.

It's incredible, not to mention a challenge to the credibility of the advocates of same, how romanticized one of the worst Celtic teams ever has become on this board.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2012, 01:22:30 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Oh goodness, I feel the need to respond to this dare.

I like this team, and I think they'll make some noise in the playoffs.  On top of that, I thought that for the most part they gave a good effort tonight.

Don't you think something's wrong when a good effort gets you beaten by 30?
No, effort was not the problem. The Clippers are just a better team at present and they were at home. Effort doesn't make Jason Terry jumpers fall.

Blaming effort is a lame cop out after losses.

« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2012, 01:24:50 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

I like this team, and I think they'll make some noise in the playoffs.  On top of that, I thought that for the most part they gave a good effort tonight.

No, effort was not the problem. The Clippers are just a better team at present and they were at home. Effort doesn't make Jason Terry jumpers fall.

They didn't just get outplayed by the Clippers. They got out-worked.

The Clippers played with a greater sense of urgency, intensity and hustle/desire throughout the contest.

« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2012, 01:25:34 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Sorry, but anyone who would make such a statement is just broadcasting to the world how little they know about Celtics history, (and basketball in general, for that matter).

I've been watching the Celtics since the sixties, and this team is so far from "the worst" that it's not even worth mentioning ... in fact, they're not even the worst of the last ten years!

They had a horrible game and got blown out by the Clips, so let's freak, everybody, (and they say the Mayans were over-reacting, lol!).

Geez.

Amen.

« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2012, 01:30:26 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
Jeff will defend it:

@unclejeffgreen
Ppl are so quick to jump on and off the bandwagon...oh well I guess that's society today

« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2012, 01:48:03 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
we stopped being serious contenders in early 2011 when Shaq broke.  Then we managed to overachieve, ride the last fumes of our stretch, draw a couple easy teams and make it to the ECF last year.   We had been below .500 in the middle of last season.  This year isn't much different.  Wait until after the trade deadline to panic.  This was all expected.

Disagree.  From my perspective, we were very much a contender at the end of last season and in the playoffs.

I guess from your perspective in hindsight there's only ever one true contender.
I mean we snuck by a Horford-less Atlanta and a 8th seed Philly to suddenly find ourselves as one of the last 4 teams standing.  In that respect, you could say we had a shot at a title.  But there were several teams better than us last year.  Much of the year we weren't even a .500 team.  KG suddenly started dropping 20 and 10 every night and that definitely gave us a lift, but in general we haven't been a serious threat since Shaq hobbled off the court.   

Hard to say last year's ECF visit was expected.  I think it was widely acknowledged it was one of our most "improbable" runs ever.  Sneaking into the ECF with a 59% win percentage... you have to go back to 1969 to find a Celtic team who overachieved that mightily in the playoffs.  We were essentially just riding on the fumes of a once great team... the smell of KG, Ray and Pierce had yet to fully dissipate.  That combined with a cake-walk path allowed us to get further than we had any right going.  Miami was a bit shaky until Bosh returned and it looked like a window was there.  We were just as likely to beat Miami as Philly was likely to beat us in the previous round.  Usually the cream rises to the top.

« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2012, 01:51:35 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429

The Clippers are a better team at present and also at future, as are about 10 other NBA teams.