Author Topic: No Toughness. No Pride. Little Effort. No Nothing.  (Read 12583 times)

Re: No Toughness. No Pride. Little Effort. No Nothing.
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2012, 09:27:13 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Is this some sort of joke?  Collins with 4 or 5 starts in a row?  Has he played ONE decent game all year?

That's just absolutely ridiculous, we'd actually be better off going small with Jeff Green and getting Barbosa some minutes.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2012, 09:51:21 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
Stop the PP Iso's! It's amazing when this team moves the friggen ball. I don't understand why we don't.

agreed. we moved it like crazy against the nets and look what that netted us. not to mention we attacked all game long for the first time this season that game. We also seemed to attack alot last night so i cannot fault the offensive style. I really can't. rondo missed a bunch of layups and runners. Our defense just blew. The offensive execution blew but the style was much better than taking contested jumpers all night like we have done for so long. hopefully we have turned the corner offensive style wise. it works. go for the high % shots..only take long jumpers if not contested and if the guy is hot. if you can keep scoring attacking the basket keep doing it until they stop you then kick it out. 

regardless though this sample size now is not merely anecdotal it is EMPIRICAL! Nothing really new though. we need another big. bass and lee can go anytime....even green if necessary. whatever it takes...otherwise why are we even playing? If we are not trying to make the team better? This whole thing is blowing up in two years at the longest anyway. Rondo just may be included in that blow up due to his age then.

For those wanting to wait until the all-star break do you really think this team will go on the run we did last year with AB that late? We cannot afford to wait that long plus that was last year in different circumstances. we have seen enough this year. what you see is what you get. hey doc, a .500 coach was just FIRED in brooklyn. take note!
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2012, 10:08:07 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
i cannot fault the offensive style. I really can't. rondo missed a bunch of layups and runners. Our defense just blew.

That's the one thing I liked about the game.  The team looked like they were trying to play up tempo and have an offense that was less strangling.  The problem on offense is they weren't hitting shots and they were playing a team that's been playing up tempo all year and was hitting shots.

Now watch.  Doc will go back to the walk-it-up, grind-it-out style against the Warriors and Boston will "only" lose by 10.

Mike

« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2012, 10:12:15 AM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
Vinnie just loves these games.

He rubs his hands together with glee and a little smile on his face and then unleashes the doom.  :P

You are right. We all should be upbeat about how well this team is progressing. We should be ecstatic that they got blown off the court by the Clippers. And, the defense? Unbelievable how well it is playing now. Nothing to complain about here. This team is clearly a contender for the championship.  ;D

« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2012, 10:45:32 AM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Did anyone lamenting this loss REALLY think we had a chance to fly to LA and BEAT the Clippers last night?

I watched because I was curious to see how we'd rebound after a great Christmas Day game, and to see what the Clips are looking like. I did not, think for a second, that we were ready to go beat the hottest team in the NBA on the road.

They are one of this year's elite (up there w/ OKC, Miami, whomever else), they are on a hot streak and younger and deeper and taller than the Celtics. I was just hoping we'd compete and continue to build towards something of our own.

I don't think anything new was learned. The Celts pretty much did what I expected. Hang on for a while and get overwhelmed. The Clippers really played well together. They look comfortable while it looks like we're searching for something.

My assessment: We are a middle of the pack team that has to play REALLY well to get wins against any team (good, decent or even sub-par).

Lee and Bass are pretty brutal so far. Jeff still isn't taking enough initiative. KG, Paul & Rondo maybe aren't doing enough to make these role players better right now. Maybe the team isn't being selfless enough. I like where we're going with Sully. Jeff can add more. Rondo can be better.

I do think Avery will give us a shot in the arm, and yes, we need another big (6'11" & athletic) to play with KG and to cover for him when he's out. Once we do that, we just hope to gel and make our annual run!

A Big is hard to find, but they are out there for Danny to get. Wish we didn't snooze on guys like Thabeet & Blatche who were just sitting there for the taking, but let's move on. I'll take back Semih Automatic anytime. 

« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2012, 10:47:21 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
If we don't have a chance to beat the Clippers, then we're not a championship contender, are we?

Answer: Obviously not.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2012, 10:49:34 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
This team is clearly not a contender right now.

The Clippers hammered that message home pretty clearly.

I don't know how much of this AB can fix, some moves have to be made.

A 6-2 guard with bad shoulders in a league full of bigger, athletic guards isn't going to fix anything, and some of the "Bradley is our panacea" nonsense on this board is headed for a huge crash landing.

With apologies to Rick Pitino, a championship defense isn't walking through that door with Avery Bradley.

Bradley's greatest value to this franchise right now is a trading chip, with some team who overvalues him like some of the posters here do.

« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2012, 10:55:48 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I think Tommy was right on with his analysis on the postgame show last night. He took a subtle shot at Doc and siad that the new players they brought in have to be given more freedom and be made more of a focus. I think Terry and Green are the two guys who need to be given much more focus in the offense. Tommy said that some of the new players were brought in and placed into roles that just don't make much use of their skills.

Doc tried to use Terry like he did Ray, which doesn't work. Terry is a much better ball handler and can create his own shot. Let him free to work and get him more time with the ball in his hands.

Green is placed into the corner shooting threes, which is definitely not his strength. Why isn't Green ever used to post on the block? He has a good post up game, if mixd with his drives he could put up 18 a night easily for us and lessen the load on Pierce and KG.

Sullinger is our second best post up player, but most people would never know it because he never, ever posts up. He's been pigeonholed into the Glen Davis role, which is awful. Sullinger is a much more skilled player and we are only using half of his skills.

Lee and Bass just need to play better, I think Doc is using them well, they just suck right now.

« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2012, 10:58:08 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
This team is clearly not a contender right now.

The Clippers hammered that message home pretty clearly.

I don't know how much of this AB can fix, some moves have to be made.

A 6-2 guard with bad shoulders in a league full of bigger, athletic guards isn't going to fix anything, and some of the "Bradley is our panacea" nonsense on this board is headed for a huge crash landing.

With apologies to Rick Pitino, a championship defense isn't walking through that door with Avery Bradley.

Bradley's greatest value to this franchise right now is a trading chip, with some team who overvalues him like some of the posters here do.

I fully agree, TP. With the posts we see on here, you would think Bradley is Bill Russell or even Dwight Howard. He's 6'2 !!! He's never had a single full season without a major injury yet either !!! His offense still has major limitations as well. We should trade him now before his value drops when he returns, but his value is nowhere near what most celtics fans seem to think it is.

« Reply #54 on: December 28, 2012, 10:59:50 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
Those are decent observations, as individual players go.

The problem is, this is a team game. It is not an individual game, and it's growing increasingly obvious - in my opinion - that these individuals do not fit together.

At this point, I am growing increasingly pessimistic that this group will ever be anything more than a .500 team, given its inability to defend, its general lack of consistent outside scoring and the elephant in the room - rebounding.

Danny should move quickly, again in my opinion, after 1/15 to break this group up.

« Reply #55 on: December 28, 2012, 11:04:10 AM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
I was at the game last night, and these were a couple observations I made:

- I'm beginning to think Bass was playing for a paycheck last year.  When I first got to Staples, Jet was the only guy on the floor practicing before pre game.  Didn't Bass used to do that last year?  His jump shot is gone.

- KG is dominant.  It's too bad he can play limited minutes, because when he was in, the Clippers could not handle him at all.

- We started off horrible, but I was pretty happy with the first half.  Barnes was going nuts from three.

- I all fell apart in the third quarter.  I don't think Bledsoe came in, so Chris Paul was playing the entire quarter; this really did it for the Celtics.  We couldn't handle him, constantly turning the ball over.

- Varnado looked pretty good.

- Bieber showed up late and left early.

- Chris Paul is fatter than I thought.

- Rondo is taller than I thought.

- Even though we lost, it was a great experience for my first live NBA game.

« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2012, 11:11:55 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
Those are decent observations, as individual players go.

The problem is, this is a team game. It is not an individual game, and it's growing increasingly obvious - in my opinion - that these individuals do not fit together.

At this point, I am growing increasingly pessimistic that this group will ever be anything more than a .500 team, given its inability to defend, its general lack of consistent outside scoring and the elephant in the room - rebounding.

Danny should move quickly, again in my opinion, after 1/15 to break this group up.

no, no, no......we need consistent INSIDE scoring whether it be from fast break transition, dribble drive, dribble and dish, cuts or post ups. we have attacked two games in a row. why did it take doc so long to do this? he has relied on contested jumpers for far too long in the past.

now with that being said, yes he is using guys wrong. to try to use terry as RA is mesmerizing when JET can create off the dribble. yes green and sully should be posting up, not just KG. again, it is similar to driving a square peg into a round hole with doc.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #57 on: December 28, 2012, 11:25:51 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
It's hard to forget what type of impact AB had for this team last year. I certainly don't expect him to turn everything around, but he will make us better. By simply pressuring the ball full court he'll force possessions to start up late and give our boys more time. The problem though is that our big men just don't get it done.

« Reply #58 on: December 28, 2012, 11:26:28 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
The fact that Odom grabbed rebounds against us is screaming no toughness.

We really need to get a big man, and fast. Danny make it done, even if it takes anyone outside of KG, Pierce and Rondo.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2012, 11:28:58 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

This is the only hope this team has.  There is just no other way.