Author Topic: Rondo 2nd best mid range shot in the NBA  (Read 8616 times)

Re: Rondo 2nd best mid range shot in the NBA
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2012, 03:10:33 PM »

Offline rutzan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 85
you may be on to something here...it's not just the fg% from 16-23 ft...look at made and attempts:

http://www.hoopdata.com/shotstats.aspx?team=%25&type=pg&posi=G&yr=2013&gp2=0&mins=20

Top 6 FG % 16 - 23 ft:

Rondo / 20 games played / 57.0%
Chris Duhon / 21 games played / 57.0%
Kyle Korver / 16 games played / 55%
Danny Green / 24 games played / 53%
Courtney Lee / 23 games played / 52%
Jason Terry / 23 games played / 52%

Rondo is tied for 1st

Top 5 Made Per Game:

Rip Hamilton / 15 games played / 2.5 made per game
Kyrie Irving / 14 games played / 2.4 made per game
Stephen Curry / 23 games played / 2.4 made per game
Kobe Bryant / 25 games played / 2.0 made per game
Rondo / 20 games played / 2.0 made per game

Rondo is 5th

Top 5 Attempts Per Game:

Rip Hamilton / 15 games played / 5.5 attempts per game
Monta Ellis / 22 games played / 5.3 attempts per game
Stephen Curry / 23 games played / 5.3 attempts per game
Demar Derozen / 25 games played / 4.6 attempts per game
Jrue Holiday / 22 games played / 4.6 attempts per game

Rondo is tied for 22nd with 3.5 attempts ahead of Chris Paul, Jamal Crawford, Deron Williams and James Harden among others

Rondo is taking 2 less shots per game from 16 - 23 ft compared to Rip Hamilton at the top with 5.5 attempts per game

and here's the real kicker...

except for the top 3...rondo is taking at most one less shot per game from 16 -23 ft
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 03:16:54 PM by rutzan »

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2012, 05:10:52 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Ben Wallace was a career 0.474 FG% shooter.  If you never actually watched him play, you would assume he was good shooter.  Truth is, he was one of the worst shooters in the history of the NBA.  The stat is meaningless.

The same is true to an extent with the FG% stat with Rondo.  Rondo is not one of the better shooters in the NBA.  Every coach in the NBA knows this and that is why the defensive plan on Rondo is don't cover him, let him shoot.

I think Rondo has improved his shot and hopefully will continue to do that.  He is also a very good player in spite of his glaring shooting weakness.  But are people really serious in talking about him as if he is one of the better "shooters" in the game (mid range or otherwise)?  He may in fact be the worst shooting PG in the game, at least among starters or rotation players.

http://www.hoopdata.com/shotstats.aspx?team=%25&type=pg&posi=G&yr=2013&gp2=0&mins=20

I'm re-posting this, because it appears that you missed it.  Look at his shooting percentage from 16-23 feet.  It's the best in the league among guards, and he's taking a healthy number of those mid range jumpers. 

There's absolutely no basis for saying he is "the worst shooting PG in the game."  By whatever measure you use, that's completely false.

I am going by what I see when I watch the games.  Rondo is not a good shooter by NBA PG standards, certainly not in the discussion as the best.  His percentage is high because he is generally left with generous space to shoot while his man is sagging to double someone else.

Sometimes stats don't tell the whole story (sometimes they do).  In this case, Rondo's shooting percentage stats don't tell the whole story. If he was even a good shooter, other teams would not play off him that way.  They would be forced to respect his shot.  So I guess it is just me and all of the other NBA coaches that are of the opinion that Rondo isn't a good shooter.  Or maybe all of the coaches haven't seen the stats.

I am not trying to be glib but, really, you are getting on me for criticizing Rondo's jump shot?  For not falling into the Rondo is a great shooter line?

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2012, 06:04:19 PM »

Offline Lord of Mikawa

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 66
  • Anti-Lakers&Anti-Heat
This would mean something if we won games on a consistent basis. But his shooting isn't helping when we need it.
Signed to a 6 year $0 contract with the Celtics Blog forum!

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2012, 06:18:57 PM »

Offline rutzan

• Jaylen Brown
Ben Wallace was a career 0.474 FG% shooter.  If you never actually watched him play, you would assume he was good shooter.  Truth is, he was one of the worst shooters in the history of the NBA.  The stat is meaningless.

The same is true to an extent with the FG% stat with Rondo.  Rondo is not one of the better shooters in the NBA.  Every coach in the NBA knows this and that is why the defensive plan on Rondo is don't cover him, let him shoot.

I think Rondo has improved his shot and hopefully will continue to do that.  He is also a very good player in spite of his glaring shooting weakness.  But are people really serious in talking about him as if he is one of the better "shooters" in the game (mid range or otherwise)?  He may in fact be the worst shooting PG in the game, at least among starters or rotation players.

I'm re-posting this, because it appears that you missed it.  Look at his shooting percentage from 16-23 feet.  It's the best in the league among guards, and he's taking a healthy number of those mid range jumpers. 

There's absolutely no basis for saying he is "the worst shooting PG in the game."  By whatever measure you use, that's completely false.

I am going by what I see when I watch the games.  Rondo is not a good shooter by NBA PG standards, certainly not in the discussion as the best.  His percentage is high because he is generally left with generous space to shoot while his man is sagging to double someone else.

Sometimes stats don't tell the whole story (sometimes they do).  In this case, Rondo's shooting percentage stats don't tell the whole story. If he was even a good shooter, other teams would not play off him that way.  They would be forced to respect his shot.  So I guess it is just me and all of the other NBA coaches that are of the opinion that Rondo isn't a good shooter.  Or maybe all of the coaches haven't seen the stats.

I am not trying to be glib but, really, you are getting on me for criticizing Rondo's jump shot?  For not falling into the Rondo is a great shooter line?

people that quote un-named nba coaches like this remind me of crotor...

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2012, 12:23:40 AM »

Offline greenpride32

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
The percentages mean nothing because Rondo is one of the few guards in the NBA who goes undefended on the perimeter.  Rondo probably has 95%+ of those shots uncontested.  Kobe would be lucky to have 5% of his uncontested, and the degree of difficulty on his shots are much greater; he might need to make a move to create a shot whereas Rondo is just taking practice jumpers.

Rondo's shot is still inconsistent.  He still chucks enough air balls for your to remember and shots that go wide of the rim.  Take good shooters like Pierce and Garnett; you see them do that once in a blue moon (excluding desperation shots).

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2012, 01:35:23 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Actually I don't think most of Rondo's jumpers are much more open then Terry's or Lee's, or even Garnett's.

While Rondo does get his share where he's left wide open, these says he very rarely misses those shots.  Aside from this I've seen him hit a LOT of contested jumpers as if he were wide open.

He still remains inconsistent with his three point shot, but from midrange I don't believe thathhis stats are as skewed as you think. 

There are very few PG's in this league who I'd consider to be consistently food midrange shooters.  Chris Paul? Stephen Curry?  Steve Nash?  There are maybe a handful (if that) at the position.  Think of guys like Russel Westbrook, Jeff Teague, Deron Williams, Derek Rose, Jrue Holiday, Raymond Felton - none of these guys are known for being great midrange shooters, and I think Rondo is as good as any of them right now.

From three its a different story.

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2012, 02:05:34 AM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
You can't blame Rondo for being open, or being left open.  Teams go under picks against Rondo because he's more lethal penetrating than taking the jumper.  Teams play off him because he can easily drive by defenders who are crowding him.

The point of the "Rondo is the best percentage mid-range shooting guards" is that a guy who previously couldn't throw the ball into the ocean is now at the top of the league at converting mid-range shots. To me, that's very impressive and encouraging.

Hopefully, teams will stop leaving him open for the jumper, and he can use his penetrating ability more.  Rondo converts 2/3s of his shots at the rim. 

The mid-range shot is a sucker's bet, anyways.  You've really got to hit half of them in order to make the shot worthwhile.  Only 10 rotation guys in the entire league hit 50%+ of shots in the 17-23 foot range, of which Rondo's 57% is second to Bosh's 60%. 

Rondo's three point percentage is creeping up, too.  At 32%, he's almost at an acceptable level (league average is 36%).   

The true test of Rondo's shooting improvement will be if he can incorporate a strong pull up game with the wide open makes he's converting. 

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2012, 02:08:07 AM »

Offline greenpride32

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
You can't blame Rondo for being open, or being left open. 

Nobody's blaming him for that.  The point is his shots are much easier than the average NBA player; that makes his average higher.  But in reality he is not a good shooter.  Can you imagine what Ray Allen would shoot from mid range if other teams just let him shoot; 70-80%+?

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2012, 02:15:04 AM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.
Made a post about this a while back with stats. It's outdated, but the link isn't. Take a look :

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=61053.msg1353210#msg1353210

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/r/rondora01/shooting/2013/

Nobody's blaming him for that.  The point is his shots are much easier than the average NBA player; that makes his average higher.  But in reality he is not a good shooter.  Can you imagine what Ray Allen would shoot from mid range if other teams just let him shoot; 70-80%+?
Define "open". Rajon Rondo's defenders do not completely back off of him. During the pick and spot up behind the big man play (where Rondo gets most of his jumper looks), his man goes under the screen, but tries to contest his jumper if he goes up.

I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2012, 02:32:03 AM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74

I've been watching him shoot open 3s all season so far and what I've see is about 46%. Still very good but let's not think that he's Jesus or anything. Oh wait...

« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2012, 03:54:48 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

My argument for the celts new offense where we o nly shoot 16 to 23 foot jump shots. The only players in the NBA to shot 52.0 percent or better as follows.

Courtney Lee
 Duhon
 Danny Grren
 Jason Terry
 Rondo 57 Percent
 K Irving

And that's it. three out of the best six mid range shooters in the game. That's 53.6 percent average from deep jumps hots. Lets go Doc more deep two's from are great shooters.

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2012, 04:50:53 AM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649

You act like "the average NBA player" has to go through the fires of hell to get an open look at the basket.  You do have guys like Kobe, Monta, and Irving who can make a reasonable percentage of contested shots, but the vast majority of NBA players aren't expected to score that way.  In fact, many of the players labeled "great shooters" only shoot the ball when they're wide open (Novak, Kidd, Allen and Terry at this stage in their careers, and many more). 

Now, do I think Rondo is the second-best midrange shooter in the game?  Not a chance.  I do agree with you that he's a step below the Kobes and Kyries of the league by default.  But I still think you're not giving him enough credit.  At the very least, Rondo deserves to have the "not a good shooter" label removed from his resume based on the results so far this year.

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2012, 04:29:51 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213

This is a silly argument.  Allen gets left open because he's playing with serious offensive threats. 75% of his jumpers and 97% of his threes are assisted.  Do we deride Allen's game because he can't generate his own offense?

You can't just look at one facet of the game and not consider the rest of it.  Rondo gets open for two reasons.  One, is that teams feel that leaving him open is a better percentage play than covering him tightly (because he's a great driver and a great set up man who plays with two HOF offensive players). Two is because in previous years he wasn't making the mid-range shot.

Rondo's percentages are up.  If teams decide to crowd him because of it, his overall shooting percentage will of up further, because he will get to the hoop more often.  Rondo's hitting 44% of his jumpers overall, with only a third of those shots assisted, so that tells me his pull up game is coming around.  It's not like teams are locking him in the gym by himself to see if he'll hit a few shots.  Even in the 16-23 foot range, six out of 10 makes aren't assisted. 

For a guy like Rondo, with his quickness and dribbling ability, a strong pull up game is basically defense-proof.

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2012, 05:04:40 PM »

Offline rutzan

• Jaylen Brown
The percentages mean nothing because Rondo is one of the few guards in the NBA who goes undefended on the perimeter.  Rondo probably has 95%+ of those shots uncontested.  Kobe would be lucky to have 5% of his uncontested, and the degree of difficulty on his shots are much greater; he might need to make a move to create a shot whereas Rondo is just taking practice jumpers.

Rondo's shot is still inconsistent.  He still chucks enough air balls for your to remember and shots that go wide of the rim.  Take good shooters like Pierce and Garnett; you see them do that once in a blue moon (excluding desperation shots).

if percentages mean nothing then pay 100% of your income to the government as your share of the taxes...i guess 100% of rondo's shots go undefended...blanket statements like this make me want to contact Webster's Dictionary and give them a new definition of insanity

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2012, 07:14:17 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

You act like "the average NBA player" has to go through the fires of hell to get an open look at the basket.  You do have guys like Kobe, Monta, and Irving who can make a reasonable percentage of contested shots, but the vast majority of NBA players aren't expected to score that way.  In fact, many of the players labeled "great shooters" only shoot the ball when they're wide open (Novak, Kidd, Allen and Terry at this stage in their careers, and many more). 

Now, do I think Rondo is the second-best midrange shooter in the game?  Not a chance.  I do agree with you that he's a step below the Kobes and Kyries of the league by default.  But I still think you're not giving him enough credit.  At the very least, Rondo deserves to have the "not a good shooter" label removed from his resume based on the results so far this year.

TP.  Well put.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson