Author Topic: Rondo 2nd best mid range shot in the NBA  (Read 8617 times)

Rondo 2nd best mid range shot in the NBA
« on: December 28, 2012, 12:23:36 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

That's what Doris Burke said Pregame last game. That Rondo has the second best shooting percentage among guards in the NBA. Two point mid range that is. Anybody got stats to back up Doris.

Re: Rondo 2nd best mid range shot in the NBA
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 12:44:37 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
he just made a long 3.

Rondo's 3-pt game is slowly becoming very efficient. He has a very good shot from 3, and its going in.

I personally believe rondo is and will continue to be one of the best shooters in the game.

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 01:24:49 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

That's what Doris Burke said Pregame last game. That Rondo has the second best shooting percentage among guards in the NBA. Two point mid range that is. Anybody got stats to back up Doris.

Last time I saw the stats he was number one. Someone must have jumped in front of him by a few percentage points.

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 01:37:40 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283

Last time I saw the stats he was number one. Someone must have jumped in front of him by a few percentage points.
according to yahoo, it looks like d-wade is in front of rondo by a mere 0.2%

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/stats/byposition?pos=PG,SG,G,GF&conference=NBA&year=season_2012&sort=21&qualified=1

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 09:10:41 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 09:44:45 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
he is shooting better this season but i still get nervous every time he shoots.  i prefer him going to the hoop. he can go by pretty much anyone, has great passing skills, and can finish at the rack. the only problem is he still stinks from the free throw line.

id like him to consistently be able to pull up off the dribble on penetration and hit a 10-15 footer.  that one shot would open his game up so much.

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 10:18:57 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
he is shooting better this season but i still get nervous every time he shoots.  i prefer him going to the hoop. he can go by pretty much anyone, has great passing skills, and can finish at the rack. the only problem is he still stinks from the free throw line.

id like him to consistently be able to pull up off the dribble on penetration and hit a 10-15 footer.  that one shot would open his game up so much.
What really bothers me is the distance Rondo put between himself and that ~10 foot running floater.  He was lethal with that his first 3 years or so but then abandoned it in favor of more pass outs and crazy spinning layups off the backboard with no margin for error.

Being known for hitting a shot like that can do more for your game than a short range pull-up because you're not giving the defense that extra time it takes to come to a complete stop (from a full Rondo sprint to boot) and set your shot.  That could bring him up to a Tony Parker or even Derrick Rose level scorer all by itself, without ever hitting a jumpshot.

Edit:  It could be the difference between a game-winning hand-off from KG in OT and tripping over the floor trying to stop and take a pull-up.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 10:24:52 AM by mgent »
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 10:53:00 AM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 126
  • Another undersized Celtic...

He needs to keep shooting. Look at like setting up play action in football. It will draw defenders out and open the paint up for him, and his teammates. And thank God, his shot started falling consistently!

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 11:47:19 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
No question at all Rondo's shooting is better.

But as stated above, he still doesn't attack the rim enough to suit me. He's at his most effective offensively when he does that, either looking to score or creating easy shots.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 12:13:33 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Ben Wallace was a career 0.474 FG% shooter.  If you never actually watched him play, you would assume he was good shooter.  Truth is, he was one of the worst shooters in the history of the NBA.  The stat is meaningless.

The same is true to an extent with the FG% stat with Rondo.  Rondo is not one of the better shooters in the NBA.  Every coach in the NBA knows this and that is why the defensive plan on Rondo is don't cover him, let him shoot.

I think Rondo has improved his shot and hopefully will continue to do that.  He is also a very good player in spite of his glaring shooting weakness.  But are people really serious in talking about him as if he is one of the better "shooters" in the game (mid range or otherwise)?  He may in fact be the worst shooting PG in the game, at least among starters or rotation players.

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 01:22:32 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Ben Wallace was a career 0.474 FG% shooter.  If you never actually watched him play, you would assume he was good shooter.  Truth is, he was one of the worst shooters in the history of the NBA.  The stat is meaningless.
Sure if you excise all information about his position, positional averages, and from where he took his shots.

Rondo is making a ton of his midrange jump shots. Now shooting percentage of all players is pretty darn noisy, especially jump shooting. He could just be on a 28 game hot streak that will average out.

But to say taking 3 such shots a game, and making over half of them is meaningless is strange. How is he supposed to show he's a "good shooter" other than taking and making those shots?

Unless you define a good shooter as also encompasing the ability to hit 3s or hit shots coming off screens. Rondo doesn't do those things, but neither does KG.

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 01:34:36 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
http://www.hoopdata.com/shotstats.aspx?team=%25&type=pg&posi=G&yr=2013&gp2=0&mins=20

I'm guessing this is where Doris got her numbers.
Geez. Lee and Terry are both shooting 52% from 16-23' with Rondo shooting 57%.

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2012, 01:38:46 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Sure if you excise all information about his position, positional averages, and from where he took his shots.

Rondo is making a ton of his midrange jump shots. Now shooting percentage of all players is pretty darn noisy, especially jump shooting. He could just be on a 28 game hot streak that will average out.

But to say taking 3 such shots a game, and making over half of them is meaningless is strange. How is he supposed to show he's a "good shooter" other than taking and making those shots?

Unless you define a good shooter as also encompasing the ability to hit 3s or hit shots coming off screens. Rondo doesn't do those things, but neither does KG.
Yeah, you gotta love arguments that pull up vague stats out of context.

Another reason why the Wallace example is a silly one is that shooting 47% for a big who is just a garbage man is horrible. Perk could shoot around 60% as a garbage man.

Responding to a discussion of Rondo's shooting from a particular distance on the floor with some vague number seems like someone with an ax to grind and who would prefer to win an argument rather than understand what is actually going on.

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2012, 01:42:55 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

The same is true to an extent with the FG% stat with Rondo.  Rondo is not one of the better shooters in the NBA.  Every coach in the NBA knows this and that is why the defensive plan on Rondo is don't cover him, let him shoot.

I think Rondo has improved his shot and hopefully will continue to do that.  He is also a very good player in spite of his glaring shooting weakness.  But are people really serious in talking about him as if he is one of the better "shooters" in the game (mid range or otherwise)?  He may in fact be the worst shooting PG in the game, at least among starters or rotation players.

http://www.hoopdata.com/shotstats.aspx?team=%25&type=pg&posi=G&yr=2013&gp2=0&mins=20

I'm re-posting this, because it appears that you missed it.  Look at his shooting percentage from 16-23 feet.  It's the best in the league among guards, and he's taking a healthy number of those mid range jumpers. 

There's absolutely no basis for saying he is "the worst shooting PG in the game."  By whatever measure you use, that's completely false.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2012, 02:04:16 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

I'm guessing this is where Doris got her numbers.
Geez. Lee and Terry are both shooting 52% from 16-23' with Rondo shooting 57%.
KG is at 50% and Bass is at 46% I believe too.

That's why we shoot so many mid-range jump shots more than anything. We have a lot of players who are really good at it and use it frequently in their games.

We definitely could use more 3 point shots though, among many other things...