Author Topic: Brooklyn Nets fire coach Avery Johnson  (Read 10712 times)

Re: Brooklyn Nets fire coach Avery Johnson
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2012, 04:13:01 PM »

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 80
Iso Joe + Deron is a TERRIBLE combination unless you consistently give Joe the ball late in the clock. Also, as many have noted, Lopez and Humphries can score points, but they don't do much else. You don't just throw talented offensive players together and expect to get a top team, especially not with Deron Williams' game falling off the table the past few years. The Nets were all-hype...a 5-8 seed team being sold as a legit contender. Not surprised they're struggling.

I'd say this is spot on.  The roster is a defensive nightmare and the pieces fit together so poorly offensively.  It's more of a "fantasy basketball" team than a real basketball team.  Who protects the rim?  Who defends quick big men? Who can run pick and roll with DeRon? Who spaces the floor for Lopez to operate in the post?  It is such an awful fit.

The problem, as Fafnir pointed out, is this roster is stuck in place.  Well above the tax and on long contracts.  The (flawed) roster can't change, so desperation says to change the coach.  Brooklyn is destined to be a mediocre 6 or 7 seed or so for the next 5 or 6 years.

Re: Brooklyn Nets fire Avery Johnson
« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2012, 04:17:31 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/8783854/avery-johnson-fired-brooklyn-nets-starting-14-14

Not surprised.  Avery is not a good coach.

This sums it up. Still surprising to see. Brooklyn has a ton of expectations, but now who replaces him? If they can get a good coach to maximize the talent and put it into a good system then I could finally buy the Nets Hype...

They are just so dumb I dont think this group is going to work with anyone. Iso Joe kills the system. Williams kills coaches. I just dont see it working.

« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2012, 04:19:08 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1466
I haven't thought much of his coaching for the past two years so not a huge surprise. Though I question what caliber of coach they'll be able to replace him with mid-season.

Nets are essentially locked into this roster, so whomever takes it will have to make this group work.

I agree, it isn't the best time to be looking for a new coach. 

I just don't understand their front office.  He had a bad record the last couple of years (prob not his fault, terrible roster).  If you don't like him fire him in between seasons. 

« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2012, 04:26:56 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 411
Whoever is the next coach is, he better be like by Deron Williams or he will be fired by April..2nd coach to be ax by Williams..Sloan, Avery, and next?
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2012, 04:39:44 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
P J Carlesimo..bit of advice, dont buy a home in Brooklyn..u wont be there long

« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2012, 04:40:23 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 92

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 122
rofl @ da hawks nd pacers havin a betta roster then da nets. Joe nd Deron shootin below 40% from da field aint help things out at all. only thing i hold against Avery is not givin Marshonn Brooks any time he aint deserve to get fired

Joe johnson is on rashard Lewis level as far as bad contracts go.

Without a doubt I would take J smith or Granger over him.

What's up with Deron? He looks to be about 75 pounds over weight, can he even dunk it?
u talmbout entire rosters tho? lol Nets have a betta bench wit Blatche nd Brooks who was underused nd Granger is not betta then Joe Johnson. Brook is capable of averaging 20ppg Hibbert nd Horford aint pull dat off yet. Pacers nd Hawks got a weaker bench then da nets

« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2012, 04:51:53 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
rofl @ da hawks nd pacers havin a betta roster then da nets. Joe nd Deron shootin below 40% from da field aint help things out at all. only thing i hold against Avery is not givin Marshonn Brooks any time he aint deserve to get fired

What's up with Deron? He looks to be about 75 pounds over weight, can he even dunk it?
u talmbout entire rosters tho? lol Nets have a betta bench wit Blatche nd Brooks who was underused nd Granger is not betta then Joe Johnson. Brook is capable of averaging 20ppg Hibbert nd Horford aint pull dat off yet. Pacers nd Hawks got a weaker bench then da nets

Im just pointing out that the Nets roster, even on paper isn't that great. Everyone is overrated and overpaid.

Your the one apparently rolling on the floor laughing. Congrats to the nets for possibly having a better 10th and 11th man maybe than the hawks and pacers

« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2012, 04:54:10 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
[/quote]

There are way too many words spelled properly in this post.  Pretty soon, should we expect an actual sentence, perfectly constructed?

« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2012, 05:00:11 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
Marc Stein reports Nets will contact Phil Jackson..will i can tell u right now he wont take the job because he doesnt have an elite player on the team like Shaq, Kobe, or MJ..he cant win unless he has the top player in the game

« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2012, 05:06:55 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 92

• Bill Walton

There are way too many words spelled properly in this post.  Pretty soon, should we expect an actual sentence, perfectly constructed?
[/quote]like i said before i type like i talk lol one day ima put a vid up so yall can see i mix it up wit slang nd big words cuz im nice like dat. Just how Black AX operates nd percolates ya dig?

« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2012, 05:08:35 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 92

• Bill Walton

Im just pointing out that the Nets roster, even on paper isn't that great. Everyone is overrated and overpaid.

Your the one apparently rolling on the floor laughing. Congrats to the nets for possibly having a better 10th and 11th man maybe than the hawks and pacers
why u actin like ima nets fan or sumthin? lol i just think 1-15 they got a betta roster then da hawks nd pacers just my opinion jack

« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2012, 05:09:23 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Marc Stein reports Nets will contact Phil Jackson..will i can tell u right now he wont take the job because he doesnt have an elite player on the team like Shaq, Kobe, or MJ..he cant win unless he has the top player in the game

you stole my post material... yup... Phil won't coach a team with out top 5 talent .  He is worthless and couldn't coach a team like the Nets itf his life depended on it. He is a "professional BABY SITTER" not a basketball coach like Tommy or Red.

He wants ALL THE GLORY and none of the WORK...

My "DOG" can coach Kobe, LMB and MJ and have a winning record. 

« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2012, 05:11:06 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697

you stole my post material... yup... Phil won't coach a team with out top 5 talent .  He is worthless and couldn't coach a team like the Nets itf his life depended on it. He is a "professional BABY SITTER" not a basketball coach like Tommy or Red.

He wants ALL THE GLORY and none of the WORK...

My "DOG" can coach Kobe, LMB and MJ and have a winning record.

He won't do it, but I would LOVE to see Phil take this job and tarnish his legacy, so that the rest of the world can clearly see how poor of a coach he really is.

« Reply #58 on: December 27, 2012, 05:21:43 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Iso Joe + Deron is a TERRIBLE combination unless you consistently give Joe the ball late in the clock. Also, as many have noted, Lopez and Humphries can score points, but they don't do much else. You don't just throw talented offensive players together and expect to get a top team, especially not with Deron Williams' game falling off the table the past few years. The Nets were all-hype...a 5-8 seed team being sold as a legit contender. Not surprised they're struggling.

I'd say this is spot on.  The roster is a defensive nightmare and the pieces fit together so poorly offensively.  It's more of a "fantasy basketball" team than a real basketball team.  Who protects the rim?  Who defends quick big men? Who can run pick and roll with DeRon? Who spaces the floor for Lopez to operate in the post?  It is such an awful fit.

The problem, as Fafnir pointed out, is this roster is stuck in place.  Well above the tax and on long contracts.  The (flawed) roster can't change, so desperation says to change the coach.  Brooklyn is destined to be a mediocre 6 or 7 seed or so for the next 5 or 6 years.

Have to double agree with both of these. Not only are they are terrible fit together, but they are so DUMB, it actually ticks me off to watch these guys play against one another.

« Reply #59 on: December 27, 2012, 05:24:33 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
First - Deron Williams is a coach killer.

Second - Joe Johnson was a horrible signing by them.

Third - They are an INSANE cast of characters...D-Will, Reggie Evans, Andrey Blatche, Brook Lopez, Joe Johnson...etc.  Who is the leader of that squad?  Oh right, the coach killer.

Last - D-Will is overrated, he is breaking down physically, and he will be one of the worst contracts in the league in a few years.