Author Topic: ESPN's basketball coverage.  (Read 2758 times)

ESPN's basketball coverage.
« on: December 26, 2012, 02:41:44 PM »

Offline ianboyextreme

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
Unfortunatley every game was on espn or abc (espn) yesterday. This only made me realize more how bad their coverage is. Who decided that Jalen Rose should be the face of ESPN's basketball coverage? I mean, today, in response to Hugh Daniels not believing in the Clippers because of their pathetic history, he told him "dont be a historian, be an archaeoligist". What? He makes Magic look like Jackie McMullan.

Besides Rose, we know that Magic can be pretty rediculous but ive grown used to him. A lot of folks were excited about Bill Simmons joining the crew but I certainly wasnt, being that hes a two faced fan. I think the crew is even worse than last year and Wilbon is still the only voice of reason.

TNT continues to be eons ahead of ESPN when it comes to covering basketball.

Re: ESPN's basketball coverage.
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 02:45:09 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Maybe it is the personell or something else but I really do hate the espn broadcast/coverage.

In general I can't stand ESPN I don't know how people can watch sportscenter still so brutal and weird.

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 03:48:38 PM »

Offline rondofor3

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 9
Only thing good about ESPN's coverage is JVG

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 03:56:31 PM »

Offline Smutzy#9

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 04:02:50 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
I just mute or change the channel whenever the narcissist liar earvin is on.

He brings literally nothing to the discussion.

VanGundy is great....Breen is equally as pathetic as VanGundy is good. 

Wholeheartedly agree that TNT is far better. 

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 05:12:45 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
All hype and little analysis = ESPN.   It's opinionated and purely based on opinion.  I thought Bill Simmons morphed right into a company guy and the ESPN basketball mantras;

"1.)   Promote the League
 2.)   Sell the Stars
 3.)   The most recent generation is the best ever
 4.)   Do not question the league!"

I was really hoping Simmons would be a maverick but he fell lock and step into these guidelines.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 06:40:03 PM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 05:48:25 PM »

Offline TheRev72

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 29
I hate that ESPN doesn't have a "host" like TNT has EJ. It's just 4 guys talking without any clear structure.

Why not bring in Hannah Storm to host? She used to do it - and do it well - when the NBA was on NBC. Let her take the lead and ditch Wilbon - he's just the master of conventional wisdom anway. Right now, the only "fun" dynamic is between Magic and Simmons with their good-natured Lakers/Celtics rivalry. Jalen is basically just comic relief.

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2012, 07:48:35 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
At least we were lucky enough to get Doris Burke for the celtics game. She really knows her stuff and does a great job calling the game.

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2012, 08:29:30 PM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
At least we were lucky enough to get Doris Burke for the celtics game. She really knows her stuff and does a great job calling the game.

I agree, TP. She is definatley one of ESPN's strengths, but far too under utilized. She reminds me of Jackie Mack. Both women in a commentary/media role dominated by men, but both holding their own and more. She needs a promotion in my opinion.

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2012, 10:19:09 PM »

Offline Lord of Mikawa

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 66
  • Anti-Lakers&Anti-Heat
If I can help it, it's either NBA TV or TNT coverage. ESPN's broadcast yesterday was just bland and lifeless. If I wasn't a hardcore NBA fan, I would have been bored to death.
Signed to a 6 year $0 contract with the Celtics Blog forum!

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2012, 10:20:45 PM »

Offline ianboyextreme

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
I was gonna say, I really love Doris Burke. She def knows what she's talking about and is a talented announcer.
I also think she might have a little extra love for the Celtics from her days at Providence.

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2012, 01:29:57 AM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
The ironic thing is that Bill Simmons the columnist would be thrashing Bill Simmons the TV commentator and his three lame cohorts, if Bill Simmons wasn't a key part of that train wreck. 

The biggest problem with ESPN's NBA coverage is Magic Johnson, who is unwatchable. Jalen Rose isn't ready for prime time just yet, and Wilbon to me isn't tremendously insightful. I don't mind Simmons and his fan-guy persona, but his voice isn't TV-worthy and this cast he's stuck with has very little chemistry and charisma. 

Put Shaq on this panel is place of Magic, and add a second NBA guy with a big personality (SVG?) instead of Wilbon, and Simmons would be more than acceptable.  I'm surprised that ESPN didn't make a huge play for Shaq when he announced his retirement.

Regarding their game coverage, I can't stand Mike Breen.  JVF is the shining star of their coverage.