Author Topic: Django Unchained (Movie)  (Read 11742 times)

Django Unchained (Movie)
« on: December 26, 2012, 11:49:34 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
so i just typed up a LENGTHY review to this for you guys but went to post it and lost it all because CB logged me out  >:(

I don't remotely feel like typing up a new one (Sorry, it's my b-day and i've got things to do) But all i have to say is that this was the best movie i've seen in a while and highly recommend dropping what you're doing and going to see it. Christoph Waltz steals the show once again and if you're a die hard Tarantino fan like me you'll enjoy it all the more.

Al Vida Zein and i hope you all had the Merriest of Christmases!  ;D

Re: Django Unchained (Movie)
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 06:27:50 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I loved this movie. It is so very well executed. Like a lot of Tarantino stuff, its not very cerebral, but its so darn good. Plot, you ask? How about former slave gets all Jason Bourne on terrible slavers. Score? Try everything from Johnny Cash to Tupac. Visuals? The sweeping landscapes of Spagettie Westerns with the smug coolness of Tarantino. Blood? oh, there will be blood. Highly recommend to Tarantino fans.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 06:34:06 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 411
Cant wait to see it!!
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 12:36:44 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Saw it last night.  Absolutely brilliant.  This has become an instant favorite. 

Like IP said, it may not be the most cerebral film, but it sure is smart.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 12:48:01 AM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
I caught it today.

Pretty entertaining movie, moves well/has good pace, and has great characters.

Solid 8/10 for me.

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 01:08:31 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I enjoyed every minute of it because I'm a big Tarantino fan.

I also thought there was a lot about this movie worth talking about.  A lot of interesting choices.

That said, I would have been every bit as happy if it had ended about 45 minutes sooner.

I thought, ultimately, that it was a really good, enjoyable movie that could have been truly great if Tarantino was a bit more disciplined in cutting it down and keeping only the essential material.  I think there were a lot of scenes that could have been relegated to the DVD extras without taking anything away.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 01:23:04 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

I also thought there was a lot about this movie worth talking about.  A lot of interesting choices.

That said, I would have been every bit as happy if it had ended about 45 minutes sooner.

I thought, ultimately, that it was a really good, enjoyable movie that could have been truly great if Tarantino was a bit more disciplined in cutting it down and keeping only the essential material.  I think there were a lot of scenes that could have been relegated to the DVD extras without taking anything away.

*****SPOILERS*******

The ending of the movie (not the actual outcome, just the way you get there) has been one of the more frequent criticisms I've heard. There are like 2 places you can cut the movie. Maybe Django gets out of the initial firefight successfully. Maybe he just loses. Either one would've been 'fine'. I will say the resolution feels rushed when you finally get it; almost too easy.

But in the end, Id put this movie below Pulp Fiction, below Kill Bill vol II, below Resevoir Dogs, above Jackie Browne, above Kill Bill, above Dusk Til Dawn and True Romance.

And those are all favorite movies of mine, it's like ranking all-pros.

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 01:25:53 AM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
I caught it today.

Pretty entertaining movie, moves well/has good pace, and has great characters.

Solid 8/10 for me.

...And then you reach the plantation and everyone is checking their watches to see what time it is/how long they've been sitting.

The plantation moved like molasses...Still my 2nd favorite Tarantino movie behind Pulp Fiction though =P

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 01:56:37 AM »

Offline DingDongDel

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
Loved it. You know it's a good movie when he incorporates Rick Ross and it doesn't even seem forced.

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 01:57:05 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I loved it!

*SPOILER*

When Samuel L. started hollering when Leo was killed, I almost fell over (and he got a M'F in too hahaha)!! Omg, when they couldn't see through the KKK pillow covers, DEAD... too funny!! Oh they shot a horse, I love horses... God help me, I couldn't help but laugh!

Great job by all involved... I didn't mind the length at all! I also loved the ending... I couldn't wait for Samuel L. to get his!!!! I was thinking the whole time that I hope he doesn't just shoot him once and kill him... haha, he didn't, oh he deserved every bit of that!!!

Yea, again, LOVED IT!!!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2013, 02:11:53 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
I loved it!

*SPOILER*

When Samuel L. started hollering when Leo was killed, I almost fell over (and he got a M'F in too hahaha)!! Omg, when they couldn't see through the KKK pillow covers, DEAD... too funny!! Oh they shot a horse, I love horses... God help me, I couldn't help but laugh!

Great job by all involved... I didn't mind the length at all! I also loved the ending... I couldn't wait for Samuel L. to get his!!!! I was thinking the whole time that I hope he doesn't just shoot him once and kill him... haha, he didn't, oh he deserved every bit of that!!!

Yea, again, LOVED IT!!!

Do you watch boondock saints? Sam's character reminded me of uncle Rebus sooo hard.

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 04:33:57 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

*****SPOILERS*******

The ending of the movie (not the actual outcome, just the way you get there) has been one of the more frequent criticisms I've heard. There are like 2 places you can cut the movie. Maybe Django gets out of the initial firefight successfully. Maybe he just loses. Either one would've been 'fine'. I will say the resolution feels rushed when you finally get it; almost too easy.

But in the end, Id put this movie below Pulp Fiction, below Kill Bill vol II, below Resevoir Dogs, above Jackie Browne, above Kill Bill, above Dusk Til Dawn and True Romance.

Spoiler:

Having him losing would have defeated the purpose of the movie.  Like Inglorious Basterds the point is to take a dark part of our history and add a fantasy of revenge.  Real life doesn't involve a bunch of jews taking down Hitler in a movie theater... or a rebellious slave taking down an entire plantation.  The fantasy element is what makes it enjoyable in a sea of very depressing factual films.

I do get why some might be thrown by the ending, though... like maybe he could have just initially shot his way out of there.  Unfortunately, that wouldn't have provided a very good story arc, though.  It was important for Schultz to die... it was then important for Django/Siegfried to lose everything he gained with the help of Schultz... and then "walk through fire", prove that he was the real hero the movie and save the day without the help of the white man.  Without him getting tied up, almost losing his nuts, tricking the slave owners and blowing up candyland... it wouldn't have tied up his character arc nearly as well. 

If anything you can argue that Schultz should have died earlier, Django should have been put into the "almost losing his nuts" position earlier... and had more time to prove he was capable of saving the day on his own.  But they absolutely HAD to have that happen in the movie otherwise the hero of the film wouldn't have been Django... it would have been Schultz. 

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2013, 06:54:58 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418

*****SPOILERS*******

Spoiler:

Having him losing would have defeated the purpose of the movie.  Like Inglorious Basterds the point is to take a dark part of our history and add a fantasy of revenge.  Real life doesn't involve a bunch of jews taking down Hitler in a movie theater... or a rebellious slave taking down an entire plantation.  The fantasy element is what makes it enjoyable in a sea of very depressing factual films.

I do get why some might be thrown by the ending, though... like maybe he could have just initially shot his way out of there.  Unfortunately, that wouldn't have provided a very good story arc, though.  It was important for Schultz to die... it was then important for Django/Siegfried to lose everything he gained with the help of Schultz... and then "walk through fire", prove that he was the real hero the movie and save the day without the help of the white man.  Without him getting tied up, almost losing his nuts, tricking the slave owners and blowing up candyland... it wouldn't have tied up his character arc nearly as well. 

If anything you can argue that Schultz should have died earlier, Django should have been put into the "almost losing his nuts" position earlier... and had more time to prove he was capable of saving the day on his own.  But they absolutely HAD to have that happen in the movie otherwise the hero of the film wouldn't have been Django... it would have been Schultz.

Completely agree...this is a movie where you need to lose yourself in the story....it isn't a historical period drama

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2013, 07:43:45 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
Christoph Waltz blew me away yet again. Stunning performance, excellent character.

By the way, how Leonardo DiCaprio never got a supporting actor Oscar nomination I'll never know. The Academy lost its bottle again.

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2013, 01:45:55 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
Didn't really like the movie, but i'm a big 2pac fan, and they used one of his songs during the big shootout in the mansion, and then quote "expect me ***** like you expect Jesus to come back, expect me *****, I'm coming"
that caught me off guard  :P
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger