Author Topic: Would you accept this trade? (Rondo + filler for Kyrie/Varejao)  (Read 14923 times)

Would you accept this trade? (Rondo + filler for Kyrie/Varejao)
« on: December 25, 2012, 09:53:12 PM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.
Rajon Rondo and (insert Bass + Lee, Sully, etc.) for Kyrie Irving and Anderson Varejao.

I would, but I'm 95% sure the Cavs won't.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 07:08:55 PM by Roy H. »
I like Marcus Smart

Re: Would you accept this trade?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 09:54:29 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
No, Rondo is a rare talent and a true celtic. Unless you get a Lebron or Durant you don't trade him.

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 09:59:26 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Hmmm, yeah probably.

Kyrie is a great shooter and Varajeo is a beast on the boards.

I am also fairly certain Cleveland doesn't trade Irving, however.

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2012, 10:00:01 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
Nope.

Now normally trading a 26 year old allstar point guard for 20 future allstar point guard is the right thing to do, buttttttttttt I'm a Rondo honk.

What Irving is doing at 20 yrs old is pretty amazing though.

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2012, 10:07:00 PM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
I think Franchise > Franchise Player in this case. 

If the difference between Rondo and Irving is +10, then adding Varejao would make that value sink down to -100. -105 if you don't like Lee/Bass.

At this point, I wouldn't trade Rondo for Irving straight up, but I Varejao makes it too enticing to refuse.

I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2012, 10:09:56 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Yep. I'd feel bad about it, I've become a Rondo believer, but this is better for the Celtics long term, and I don't think it even kills our odds this season, although it would have to happen sooner rather than later.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2012, 10:11:46 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460

If the difference between Rondo and Irving is +10, then adding Varejao would make that value sink down to -100. -105 if you don't like Lee/Bass.

At this point, I wouldn't trade Rondo for Irving straight up, but I Varejao makes it too enticing to refuse.

That's a pretty arbitrary numbering system, and one that I quite disagree with. There is no way that Varejao adds 10 times what Rondo brings over Irving.
- Rondo is much better than Irving, at least at this point in their respective careers.
- I think you are over-valuing Varejao. Especially when we could get someone to do what he does without giving up Rondo. See Omer Asik on the Rockets.

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2012, 10:15:55 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I agree that people are overvaluing Irving and Varejao. There is no doubt that they are very good, but their stats are inflated from playing on such a poor team.

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2012, 10:24:36 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I agree that people are overvaluing Irving and Varejao. There is no doubt that they are very good, but their stats are inflated from playing on such a poor team.

I think that's true with Varejao to a degree, but not Irving. Varejao is inflated because on a very good team, he shouldn't get more than 10-12 ppg, but he should still be a just below elite rebounder and defender.

It's hard to inflate Irving's value. Uncle Drew is 21 (or is it 22?) years old, and already the 2nd or 3rd best scoring point guardin the league. CP3 is ahead of him, then...?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2012, 10:25:46 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Yes, without hesitation.

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2012, 11:17:55 PM »

Offline Smutzy#9

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Drew is a stud and id love him but i dunno, maybe i just have an emotional attachment to rondo because he is my favorite player. 50/50 on it.

Id love to see a Mcgee/Kanter/Favours type come in for the celtics.

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2012, 11:28:09 PM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney

That's a pretty arbitrary numbering system, and one that I quite disagree with. There is no way that Varejao adds 10 times what Rondo brings over Irving.
- Rondo is much better than Irving, at least at this point in their respective careers.
- I think you are over-valuing Varejao. Especially when we could get someone to do what he does without giving up Rondo. See Omer Asik on the Rockets.

I don't mean literally those numbers, but I was making a point that Varejao is a very good player. I'm probably overvaluing him, but there is no question that he is a competent, pure center, something the Celtics would love to get. He is one of, if not the, quickest centers in the NBA and will be great in our defensive system. And also, unlike Asik, he's not a liability on offense, but an asset.

Rondo is not MUCH better than Irving the same way that Rondo is not MUCH better than Derrick Rose.

Rondo is the best point guard in the NBA, but Irving is in that highest echelon along with Chris Paul, etc (at least this season). He's in that elite class this season, and the youngest prodigy of them all. So much potential.

I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2012, 11:31:12 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I am torn but yes I would do this. The one problem with Kyrie is he has injury concerns.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2012, 11:37:07 PM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney

If the Celtics get Varejao, He is going to play hard on defense, on the boards, and will thrive playing off of KG. He'd become a role player that is near perfect for the Celtics system, and wouldn't be expected to do anything more.

Irving would still average 15-20 ppg this season if he was on the Celtics. His assists would escalate; coming out of college, experts were comparing him to Chris Paul for his outstanding court vision. Having Hall of Fame players around him that can make difficult jumpers would help him a lot (sound like somebody?). Think a Rondo that's always in scoring mode.

And all of that at the age of 20. Imagine how he'd be in his prime?
I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2012, 01:23:16 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Not a
Chance