Author Topic: WEAK RUMOR: Cousins to Boston Almost Done (FB / Twitter sources)  (Read 56251 times)

Re: WEAK RUMOR: Cousins to Boston Almost Done (FB / Twitter sources)
« Reply #165 on: December 27, 2012, 11:08:48 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
The Kings have been better this season with Cousins off the court.

http://82games.com/1213/1213SAC.HTM

Yet people are still excited at the possibility of getting him? When will people realize he is a cancer and isn't actually all that good?

The warning sign with Cousins is that he's had a very low shooting percentage for a big guy.  On the other hand, he's 22 years old, 6'11' and 270, has averaged over 9 boards a game in his career and is a decent free-throw shooter.

Frankly, I'm less concerned about Cousins being a headcase and more worried that he couldn't handle Boston's labyrinthine defense.  But imagining Perk with better offense and athleticism alongside KG is hard to resist.

Mike

« Reply #166 on: December 27, 2012, 11:20:44 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Yet people are still excited at the possibility of getting him? When will people realize he is a cancer and isn't actually all that good?

The warning sign with Cousins is that he's had a very low shooting percentage for a big guy.  On the other hand, he's 22 years old, 6'11' and 270, has averaged over 9 boards a game in his career and is a decent free-throw shooter.

Frankly, I'm less concerned about Cousins being a headcase and more worried that he couldn't handle Boston's labyrinthine defense.  But imagining Perk with better offense and athleticism alongside KG is hard to resist.

Mike
Its all the long jump shots he takes, 60% of his attempts are jumpers and he only makes 33% of them.

Basically he's playing like Glen Davis offensively with very similar shot selection and shooting percentages.

« Reply #167 on: December 27, 2012, 11:27:11 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Basically he's playing like Glen Davis

That's enough to scare me off any player.

Mike

« Reply #168 on: December 27, 2012, 11:28:47 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Basically he's playing like Glen Davis

That's enough to scare me off any player.

Mike
True enough, but Cousins is a far superior rebounder and has the length to be an asset defensively instead of a charge taking liability to overall team defense.

« Reply #169 on: December 27, 2012, 11:54:39 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

Mike

That's the thing - his potential is just so hard to resist.  If he busts, well he busts.  Lots of players bust.  But if he fulfills this potential, then wow.  He could become a type of player that is incredibly hard to get your hands on and could fit in particularly well to this defensive system.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #170 on: December 27, 2012, 12:13:38 PM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
Seems like any Center has his shooting percentage go up playing here. A starting 5 of Cousins, KG, Pierce, AB/Lee, Rondo with AB/Lee taking over Ray's roll and Cuz taking over Perk's role might be the thing to push his % way up.

I'd be worried about Cousins and Sully on the floor at the same time though.

« Reply #171 on: December 27, 2012, 01:02:32 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
The thing that intrigues me about about Cousins, other than his skillset, is that his issues can be contained enough for him to contribute to a team focused on winning. I mean, he had his issues at UK, but I believe there was more structure there than in current state of the Kings and its showed in his play.

As nice as it would be to have perfect character guys, that's not the reality of this league. Some of the more talented guys are jerks, but in the right system with the right coaching staff and teammates, they can focus enough to be valuable on the floor. Look at Andrew Bynum under Phil Jackson with the Lakers - Andrew is pretty immature and would do head scratching things, but he was a key piece in their 2nd championship run. Zach Randolph and Memphis - had a history of immaturity, but his found his niche with the Grizzlies.

I honestly just think DMC is too young and too talented to pass up on if the opportunity presents itself.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #172 on: December 27, 2012, 01:42:56 PM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
I can kinda understand why wouldn't be too crazy for Sac to trade cousins for the Celtics' average players they offered

It reminds me of Charles Barkley when we wanted to be traded off the Sixers (not comparing Cousins to Barkley)

The Sixers got average players in return for Barkley. Like they wanted to dump Barkley regardless of who they traded for. Seems like Sac is dead tired of Cousins' attitude

But... would love if he comes on the Celtics though

« Reply #173 on: December 27, 2012, 02:25:06 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
I can kinda understand why wouldn't be too crazy for Sac to trade cousins for the Celtics' average players they offered

It reminds me of Charles Barkley when we wanted to be traded off the Sixers (not comparing Cousins to Barkley)

The Sixers got average players in return for Barkley. Like they wanted to dump Barkley regardless of who they traded for. Seems like Sac is dead tired of Cousins' attitude

But... would love if he comes on the Celtics though

To be fair, Jeff Hornacek was a current All-Star, who had just averaged 20/5/5/2, shooting 51/44/89, on a 53 win, 2nd round playoff team. Not really an "average" player.

I think the Barkley trade is more comparable to the Dwight Howard/Brook Lopez talks, or the Deron Williams/Devin Harris trade.  Superstar for borderline All-Star.

Beasley from Miami to Minny for just a 2nd round pick is probably more comparable, but even that that was just a salary dump to be able to sign LeBron and Bosh.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #174 on: December 27, 2012, 02:28:11 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I just have this feeling that Cousins on the Celtics would be a combination of obvious talent and a source of frustration over inability to maximize that talent, like a center version of Antoine Walker.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #175 on: December 27, 2012, 02:32:29 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I don't see a trade that wouldn't include Sully.  , from both sides perspective.

Its who else that is included is what concerns me.  I think DA is reluctant to let Bradley/Rondo combo go period...we need them for the HEAT games . 

I thinking KIngs will pull a Orlando Magic yet once again,  chicken out and they just don't have the nads to trade him.   They will put up with his issues until the dam breaks and there is no way to save him or the franchise from a major hit-disaster.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 04:20:27 PM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #176 on: December 27, 2012, 02:40:47 PM »

Offline get_banners

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 100
i just don't see us getting him. the kings would almost certainly want both bradley and sullinger, and even though that's a no-brainer in the talent department, given cousins' issues, i think danny would be wise to resist that trade. it'd be one thing if the kid didn't have all these character concerns. granted, he wouldn't be available. but...those are always something to be wary of. i mean, if bass, lee, and picks get it done, by all means, don't let them finish the sentence. but...only the lakers get to give up garbage for a top big man (though, yes, marc gasol turned out to be quite good, and it wasn't clear bynum's knees were toast when they traded for bad-back-no-heart howard).

« Reply #177 on: December 27, 2012, 03:46:29 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I just have this feeling that Cousins on the Celtics would be a combination of obvious talent and a source of frustration over inability to maximize that talent, like a center version of Antoine Walker.
If only he had that fire that Antoine had for winning and standing up to be the face of the franchise in good times and bad.  Antoine had that fire to inspire that major comeback against the Nets in the playoffs -- I doubt Cousins has anything close to that.

« Reply #178 on: December 27, 2012, 03:56:52 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Cousins needs to be on a team where he isn't asked to lead. He's too young and immature for that kind of expectation and pressure.

With us he can just focus on playing and contributing. I think a veteran locker room would do him well.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #179 on: December 27, 2012, 05:51:50 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
One thing that might make me warm up to Cousins is if he is willing to act as in enforcer.  For example, if the Celtics acquire him, will he step up and retaliate if Dirty D-Wade tries to do something to Rondo again?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference