Author Topic: WEAK RUMOR: Cousins to Boston Almost Done (FB / Twitter sources)  (Read 56265 times)

Re: WEAK RUMOR: Cousins to Boston Almost Done (FB / Twitter sources)
« Reply #90 on: December 25, 2012, 06:10:28 PM »

Online greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
andray blatche is playing on a one year non-guaranteed contract.

Why are we acting like the verdict still isnt out on him?  Ive seen plenty of headcases behave for one year just to get more money.  see Blount, Mark; Haynesworth, Albert
Greg

« Reply #91 on: December 25, 2012, 06:24:20 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

Why are we acting like the verdict still isnt out on him?  Ive seen plenty of headcases behave for one year just to get more money.  see Blount, Mark; Haynesworth, Albert

Because he's young.

See Randolph, Zach. Wallace, Rasheed. Pierce, Paul.

« Reply #92 on: December 25, 2012, 06:40:02 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
Cousins has been a big meat stick, but it's a little early for the Kings to give up on him.

« Reply #93 on: December 25, 2012, 06:49:46 PM »

Offline Lord of Mikawa

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 66
  • Anti-Lakers&Anti-Heat
Seems false to me.
Signed to a 6 year $0 contract with the Celtics Blog forum!

« Reply #94 on: December 25, 2012, 07:48:52 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
I honestly believe that the "KG can help him!" thing actually makes sense with Cousins.  I don't see KG as this soothsayer who automatically cures all clubhouse ills.  I do see KG as an emotional player who has learned, over the course of his career, how to harness that part of his game. 

Cousins' problem isn't that he doesn't care.  He cares.  You can see that just by watching a couple of his games.  His problem is that he's immature and he wears his emotions on his sleeve.  If he's frustrated, you're going to see it.  If he's angry or pumped, you'll know.  If there's anybody who can teach him how to handle that, it's KG. 

For the record, I think this rumor makes no sense.  But I would LOVE to take a chance on Cousins.  That's the kind of gamble that, in my opinion, you make in an instant.

« Reply #95 on: December 25, 2012, 09:04:46 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
@DrayBaltche Y'all still talking about me? Did Shawne Williams teach you nothing?

Boogie Cousins to Zbo makes sense, but I think Sheed is way better a comparison. Cousins issues are with coaches, not strip clubs. Those issues, while still a big deal, have a good history of being able to be compensated for, at least mitigated.

I'd trade anyone not named Rondo (Pierce and KG are likely untouchable, not for still, just for where/who they are) for Cousins. He's worth the gamble.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #96 on: December 25, 2012, 10:24:44 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
For every Blatche there are ten Michael Beasleys.

And we're not just talking about taking a flyer with minimal downside. These are discussions about trades in which the Celtics give up valuable assets.

Right now Cousins is on one of the worst teams in the league, and he makes that team worse by being on the court rather than off it. He's a mediocre offensive player, and a terrible defensive player.

Beasley is a tweener - he's Jeff Green with a bad attitude.  We are having enough trouble getting consistent production out of Jeff Green with a GOOD attitude.

Cousins is a 6'11", built like an ox and pretty athletic.  Guys with that type of physical ability usually have value in the NBA even if they are completely lacking talent. 

Cousins does not lack talent.  He is an ourstanding rebounding, he has a properly capable inside game, and he has the physical tools to be a solid defensive player in the right situation.

The sheer lack of talented big men in the NBA makes Cousins VERY much worth taking a gamble on. 

Another difference is that we have seen Beasley go to multiple teams (from decent teams like Miami to terrible teams like Phoenix) and his mentality never changed. Both Blatche and Cousins had been stuck on a single team their entire career, and in both cases (Sac an Wash) they were garbage teams with no hope of winning anything.

Imagine you are a legitimately talented young NBA player.  Every night you go out there and you work your butt off and as the best player of your team.  Every night you go out and grab nearly 20 points and 10 rebounds a game, yet you still lose.  Doesn't matter how hard you try or how good you play - you could get 30 and 15 and you'd probably still lose, because you play for a garbage team.

Being in that situation, wouldn't you start to eventually get sick of being the only guy playing well?  Wouldn't you get tired of putting it all on the line only to get constantly blown out, knowing that your team has zero hope of making the playoffs?     

Occasionally you will find players with exceptional resolve (like KG and Paul Pierce) who will continue to work their butt off for a losing team out of sheer loyalty and determination, but those players are the rare exception rather than the rule.

This is exactly why I wanted Blatche here so badly - the guy is big and athletic and he knows how to play.  He has the talent and the physical gifts to be a very good player in the league and the only thing holding him back is his mentality.  You don't need to teach this guy how to play, all you need to do is get him to believe and to buy in to your system and you just got yourself an outstanding talent at a bargain price.  So far it looks like New Jersey did just that.

Cousins is in the same situation.  This kid is extremely young so his potential is limitless.  He has the physical gifts to be a not solid, but Elite big in this league.  Worse case scenario he is Vin Baker, and best case scenario he is Karl Malone.  You could do a LOT worse then Vin Baker as a worst case for a young player, and that's the risk you take to get a potential Karl Malone in return then you're insane not to take it.

Especially when you run a team that is notoriously lacking in talented big men.  I'm thinking that Vin Baker at his worst would be a nice improvement over an big man (not named KG) we have right now...

« Reply #97 on: December 25, 2012, 10:26:33 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Blount and Haynesworth are not headcases. There's a difference between just being lazy and being several fries short of a happy meal.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #98 on: December 25, 2012, 10:31:54 PM »

Online greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Maybe you can separate Mark Blount from the three but not Haynesworth and Blatche.

Both are lazy and out of shape, yes but they both have had legal problems as well.  Haynesworth fondling waitresses and having to go to court for threatening people during road rage incidents.

Blatche getting arrested for soliciting prostitutes and getting himself shot in an arguement outside a strip club.  Both have had horrible issues with coaches and were hated by his teammates.

I dont see the difference youre trying to point out
Greg

« Reply #99 on: December 25, 2012, 10:36:46 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Blount and Haynesworth are not headcases. There's a difference between just being lazy and being several fries short of a happy meal.

TP - this made me chuckle  ;D

« Reply #100 on: December 25, 2012, 10:53:06 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Blatche is still a dumb player and makes terrible decisions on the court. I wouldn't touch him with a 29 1/2 foot pole

« Reply #101 on: December 25, 2012, 10:54:29 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Blatche is still a dumb player and makes terrible decisions on the court. I wouldn't touch him with a 29 1/2 foot pole

I hope the Nets sign him to a long term deal and get the Blount treatment.

« Reply #102 on: December 25, 2012, 10:59:51 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

I hope the Nets sign him to a long term deal and get the Blount treatment.
The Shawne Wiliams comparisons abound. He's a reserve on an okay team, playing pretty well, with a history of terrible behavior and worse choices.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #103 on: December 26, 2012, 01:01:37 AM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
Wow, for a fake trade this thread has really long legs.

Anyway, I'd take a chance on Cousins - with Bass, Lee and draft picks.

I don't want to trade any of our youngins.
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #104 on: December 26, 2012, 01:12:51 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

Is it because he's a mean one, Mr. Grinch?