Author Topic: WEAK RUMOR: Cousins to Boston Almost Done (FB / Twitter sources)  (Read 56263 times)

Re: WEAK RUMOR: Cousins to Boston Almost Done (FB / Twitter sources)
« Reply #75 on: December 25, 2012, 09:38:52 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
We have enough jump shooters, the league has caught up to Doc's jump shooting scheme so Blatche makes zero sense.

« Reply #76 on: December 25, 2012, 09:51:47 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Cousins would be great here!!! In Sacramento, he really has no one to show him the way. By that, i mean maturity on and off the court. Here, u have Doc, KG, PP, and alot of past players who can talk to him like Tommy.

The guy just argued with Clifford Ray at his first practice back from suspension, do you really think Tommy Heinson would get to him?

Not sure if he would listen to Tommy, but you worded it as though Ray was the Hall of Famer.

Yea, I didn't quite word it well , but Ray is a nice guy and was the person working one on one with him to develop his game. Tommy is well respected as he should be around here, but to younger guys around the league he's just an old homer.

« Reply #77 on: December 25, 2012, 10:00:33 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Again, and I love repeating this one, nature vs. nurture. Cousin's nature is to be a head case most likely. No environment change is going to fix that. No veteran leadership is going to fix that. The only thing that can fix DeMarcus Cousins is a labotomy.

Exactly what people said about Blatche, and look at what he's doing in Brooklyn?

You never know what a change of scenery can do for a person, and when you are playing as badly as we are right now with an opporunity to gain a MAJOR increase in talent...you do NOT say no.

For every Blatche there are ten Michael Beasleys.

And we're not just talking about taking a flyer with minimal downside. These are discussions about trades in which the Celtics give up valuable assets.

Right now Cousins is on one of the worst teams in the league, and he makes that team worse by being on the court rather than off it. He's a mediocre offensive player, and a terrible defensive player.

Pass.
Cousins has been improving quite a bit defensively since he entered the league.

I'd say he is close to average now. Pretty good as a man-to-man defender. Team defense still needs some work.

The team's poor overall defense has been holding him back. He is a guy that would look quite a bit better with a quality defensive coach and system. With teammates who played consistent defense. Overexposed in Sacramento by poor teammates / coaching.

« Reply #78 on: December 25, 2012, 11:15:27 AM »

Offline European NBA fan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
So the basic "rumor" is that Danny have been on the phone with the Kings and given them some kind of offer. That's more than likely. But I'm not so sure that they didn't just hung up on him.

As for Cousins being a fit or not with the Celtics, I believe that he could be. KG had high praises for him after the game in March, even after they tried to get under each other's skin.

« Reply #79 on: December 25, 2012, 11:29:23 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
So the basic "rumor" is that Danny have been on the phone with the Kings and given them some kind of offer. That's more than likely. But I'm not so sure that they didn't just hung up on him.

I see this so often that it makes me wonder if people really believe GM's hang up on other GM's, or if it's said tongue in cheek.

As for The Kings, I do like that Ainge and Petrie have completed 2 trades in the past couple of years so at least the report is established.

« Reply #80 on: December 25, 2012, 11:45:37 AM »

Offline RyNye

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 97
I really hope this trade doesn't happen, I want nothing to do with Cousins.

I know there is an off-chance that being in a better environment will get him to improve, but really, I am ASTOUNDED at the number of people that really want him.

The problem is that his two biggest weaknesses make him a bad fit for our team: he is a pure jump shooter, and not even very good at that (his shooting percentages are pretty mediocre), he turns the ball over waaaaaay too much, and he fouls too much at defense (he is always going for steals and strips). This is NOT what our team needs right now.

That said, I know Cousins is young, and he is a good rebounder. If under the tutelage of KG and Doc he can learn to play more intelligently on both ends of the court, he can be an All-Star caliber player. But ... I just don't see it happening ... he has had such immense maturity problems both on and off the court, and his weaknesses are exactly the ones that will fit the worst with our already jump-shooting turnover-prone team, I don't even want to take the chance on him.

I want absolutely nothing to do with him, and I think the people who do want him will be unpleasantly surprised if he comes here when he does nothing to improve our team.

(I am just not a gambling man, so for me, it is hoping a lot for a player to radically change almost everything about the way they play basketball, especially one as infamously immature as Cousins. I know Blatche has done exactly that in Brooklyn, but those cases are so rare can we realistically expect it to happen again so soon?)

« Reply #81 on: December 25, 2012, 11:50:21 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Again, and I love repeating this one, nature vs. nurture. Cousin's nature is to be a head case most likely. No environment change is going to fix that. No veteran leadership is going to fix that. The only thing that can fix DeMarcus Cousins is a labotomy.

Exactly what people said about Blatche, and look at what he's doing in Brooklyn?

You never know what a change of scenery can do for a person, and when you are playing as badly as we are right now with an opporunity to gain a MAJOR increase in talent...you do NOT say no.

And we're not just talking about taking a flyer with minimal downside. These are discussions about trades in which the Celtics give up valuable assets.

Right now Cousins is on one of the worst teams in the league, and he makes that team worse by being on the court rather than off it. He's a mediocre offensive player, and a terrible defensive player.

Pass.

I'd say he is close to average now. Pretty good as a man-to-man defender. Team defense still needs some work.

The team's poor overall defense has been holding him back. He is a guy that would look quite a bit better with a quality defensive coach and system. With teammates who played consistent defense. Overexposed in Sacramento by poor teammates / coaching.

The Kings give up 112 points per 48 with him on the court, and 107 with him off.

« Reply #82 on: December 25, 2012, 12:32:13 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
I really hope this trade doesn't happen, I want nothing to do with Cousins.

I know there is an off-chance that being in a better environment will get him to improve, but really, I am ASTOUNDED at the number of people that really want him.

The problem is that his two biggest weaknesses make him a bad fit for our team: he is a pure jump shooter, and not even very good at that (his shooting percentages are pretty mediocre), he turns the ball over waaaaaay too much, and he fouls too much at defense (he is always going for steals and strips). This is NOT what our team needs right now.

That said, I know Cousins is young, and he is a good rebounder. If under the tutelage of KG and Doc he can learn to play more intelligently on both ends of the court, he can be an All-Star caliber player. But ... I just don't see it happening ... he has had such immense maturity problems both on and off the court, and his weaknesses are exactly the ones that will fit the worst with our already jump-shooting turnover-prone team, I don't even want to take the chance on him.

I want absolutely nothing to do with him, and I think the people who do want him will be unpleasantly surprised if he comes here when he does nothing to improve our team.

(I am just not a gambling man, so for me, it is hoping a lot for a player to radically change almost everything about the way they play basketball, especially one as infamously immature as Cousins. I know Blatche has done exactly that in Brooklyn, but those cases are so rare can we realistically expect it to happen again so soon?)

It's this smae trepidation that has us admiring Blatche from afar.  Celtics fans and the organization need to stop whining about the "head cases" and base it on can, the kid play and help us improve.  I kinda thought that's what it was about :P

« Reply #83 on: December 25, 2012, 12:32:31 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
he is worth the risk...this guy has enormous potential, you can't say no to if we're only giving up Lee, Bass and Sully...

this guy could be a star...and Rondo will make him better...

« Reply #84 on: December 25, 2012, 12:45:05 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
acquiring Cousins would be selling our soul to the Devil - no thank you.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #85 on: December 25, 2012, 12:54:00 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

Pass.

The Kings give up 112 points per 48 with him on the court, and 107 with him off.

That is not because of Cousins. It is because Cousins rarely gets to play with Chuck Hayes (best defensive big man, best overall defender on team, only above average defensive big on the team). Plus, Cousins normally plays against more talented offensive players / units and Hayes against backup big men / 2nd units.

Furthermore, Cousins plays lots of his minutes alongside defensive liabilities like Aaron Brooks (PG) and John Salmons (SF) + the undersized and defensively deficient wing combo of Tyreke Evans (SF) and Marcus Thornton (SG) + is usually coupled with a dodgy big man defender at PF in Jason Thompson or sometimes Thomas Robinson.

One would expect Cousins to have a negative +/- in this situation.

I am not saying Cousins is a good defensive player. I am just saying that Cousins isn't terrible defensively anymore (which he was when he entered the league). He has improved quite a bit defensively. I'd say Cousins is pretty close to average now. He is just on a team that is seriously dysfunctional defensively.

« Reply #86 on: December 25, 2012, 01:21:06 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Pass.

That is not because of Cousins. It is because Cousins rarely gets to play with Chuck Hayes (best defensive big man, best overall defender on team, only above average defensive big on the team). Plus, Cousins normally plays against more talented offensive players / units and Hayes against backup big men / 2nd units.

Furthermore, Cousins plays lots of his minutes alongside defensive liabilities like Aaron Brooks (PG) and John Salmons (SF) + the undersized and defensively deficient wing combo of Tyreke Evans (SF) and Marcus Thornton (SG) + is usually coupled with a dodgy big man defender at PF in Jason Thompson or sometimes Thomas Robinson.

One would expect Cousins to have a negative +/- in this situation.

I am not saying Cousins is a good defensive player. I am just saying that Cousins isn't terrible defensively anymore (which he was when he entered the league). He has improved quite a bit defensively. I'd say Cousins is pretty close to average now. He is just on a team that is seriously dysfunctional defensively.

I agree that those guys are not great, but none of them has a defensive point differential as bad as Cousins':

http://www.82games.com/1213/1213SAC.HTM

I can't find the Synergy numbers, which I trust more. And you're right about Hayes. But still. If the root of our problems right now is defense, getting Cousins would be a very bad move.

He is also a punk who is shooting 42% from the floor as a center. I live in Sacramento so I follow his exploits fairly closely, and in my opinion there is a 50% chance he is out of the league in a few years. He is in Sprewell/Artest territory, in my opinion: perfectly capable of doing something dumb enough to get him suspended for a year, or kicked out of the league.

« Reply #87 on: December 25, 2012, 03:11:39 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Chuckle.

We have a point guard who's idolized who was described twice during today's broadcast as "difficult to deal with" and y'all are worried about Cousins?

This trade is insane, and it won't happen - but if it did, it would be a Laker-esque steal that would make the Celtics better on the offensive end of the floor, and eventually defensively once the young man finds himself immersed in the winning environment and tradition.

Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #88 on: December 25, 2012, 04:24:54 PM »

Offline European NBA fan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141

I see this so often that it makes me wonder if people really believe GM's hang up on other GM's, or if it's said tongue in cheek.

As for The Kings, I do like that Ainge and Petrie have completed 2 trades in the past couple of years so at least the report is established.

I don't use the phrase literally. And I don't believe that GM's treat each other like annoying phone sales people. 

Re: RUMOR: BREAKING TRADE NEWS: Cousins to Boston Almost DONE
« Reply #89 on: December 25, 2012, 05:39:26 PM »

Offline ItStaysYang

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 25
Makes no sense at all for the kings. 99.9% confirmed to be false.

Do you know what confirmed means?