Author Topic: WEAK RUMOR: Cousins to Boston Almost Done (FB / Twitter sources)  (Read 56254 times)

Re: WEAK RUMOR: Cousins to Boston Almost Done (FB / Twitter sources)
« Reply #60 on: December 25, 2012, 02:58:41 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Quick question. Why is Cousins a career 44% shooter?

He seems like a monster on the low block.. What am I missing?

because he jacks up a lot of long jumpers too

So he's like a dumb(er) Josh Smith in that regard?

Pass.

Having KG would put his butt on the block. Can't turn down a 22 year old Center with Talent out the wazoo

See I hate that argument. KG doesn't have some mythical aura around him that makes all other players listen to and respect him. Sure, the smart ones do but Cousins doesn't sound like he fits that bill.

I can see KG trying to tell him something, Cousins blowing it off and then KG completely forgetting the kid exists. See Patrick O'Bryant. POB and DMC are sort of alike personality wise. Obviously DMC has infinite more talent but that doesn't mean much if he doesn't want to use it to the fullest.

Yea but what you're forgetting, not only do we have KG and Doc... WINNING, may also play a role in keeping him happy. Heck, I would hate being good and always losing too... I'd probably throw hissy-fits too.

We're playing 500 ball right now. We have brighter rest of the season compared to Sacramento but we're technically not 'winning' right now, either.

Technically we weren't winning early last season either...

That wasn't my point anyway... it's that WITH DMC we would probably be winning more (we are better than Sac w/o him), either way you slice it, it'd be a winning environment in comparison... case rested.

Kentucky was a winning environment. Didn't stop him from butting heads with Calapari.

Case reopen.

A veteran KG was there? Case never reopened.

I said it's a combination of things.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #61 on: December 25, 2012, 03:06:26 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!

Pass.

Having KG would put his butt on the block. Can't turn down a 22 year old Center with Talent out the wazoo

See I hate that argument. KG doesn't have some mythical aura around him that makes all other players listen to and respect him. Sure, the smart ones do but Cousins doesn't sound like he fits that bill.

I can see KG trying to tell him something, Cousins blowing it off and then KG completely forgetting the kid exists. See Patrick O'Bryant. POB and DMC are sort of alike personality wise. Obviously DMC has infinite more talent but that doesn't mean much if he doesn't want to use it to the fullest.

Yea but what you're forgetting, not only do we have KG and Doc... WINNING, may also play a role in keeping him happy. Heck, I would hate being good and always losing too... I'd probably throw hissy-fits too.

We're playing 500 ball right now. We have brighter rest of the season compared to Sacramento but we're technically not 'winning' right now, either.

That wasn't my point anyway... it's that WITH DMC we would probably be winning more (we are better than Sac w/o him), either way you slice it, it'd be a winning environment in comparison... case rested.

Kentucky was a winning environment. Didn't stop him from butting heads with Calapari.

Case reopen.

What does KG have to do with anything? Really? He isn't a magician. He isn't a psychologist. He's a basketball player. If you aren't going to respect your highly touted college coach.. And your high school coach why are you going to respect any player on the team? You're not.

Again, and I love repeating this one, nature vs. nurture. Cousin's nature is to be a head case most likely. No environment change is going to fix that. No veteran leadership is going to fix that. The only thing that can fix DeMarcus Cousins is a labotomy.

« Reply #62 on: December 25, 2012, 03:21:33 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
This is yet another example of the Andre Blatche scenario.

During the off season I was begging for Danny to sign Blatche.  My theory was that he's young, he's big and he's talented and he's available for cheap.  At the end of the day if it didn't work out it would be a very small risk, but if it did it would be a very big gain.  The only risk in the end was his personality, but there was always the chance he would break out if he went to a team with good mentors and a winning attitude.

85% of people here were disgusted by the idea and said they would rather have Collins, Darko and just about anything that walked over Blatche because of his "personality issues".

Right now Blatche is averaging 11.5 points (on 50% shooting) and 6 rebounds in 21 minutes.  He could probably make a case as one of the better 6th men in the league.

With Cousins it's a similar scenario, only Cousins is both younger and FAR more talented then Blatche.  If he were to get his head together he has almost limitless potential - he could easilly develop into a top 5 center in the NBA if his mentality was right.

People here say that KG's mentality doesn't help people, but look at the number of comments Sullinger has made about KG taking him in and how much he has tought him.  Look at what happened when Hollins and Stiemsma came to Boston.  Nobody knew Stiemsma existed, and Hollins was a joke - both turned out to be productive and useful players within a month or two of being here.

Yes it's true that getting KG's approval isn't easy.  If Cousins came over with an arrogant and selfish mindseet then KG would not want anything to do with him i'm sure.  BUT who in Sacramento does Cousins have to actually admire or look up to?  What type of role model is there who he could actually respect enough to listen to?  He is understandably arrogant there because he's the most talented player on the team, so it's natural that (given his age, and talent level) he's going to get a little cocky.

He comes here and suddenly he's playing the most successful franchise in history - he walks in, sees all of those championship banners hanging from the ceiling. 

Then he comes in and talks to Doc - he's a guy who has coached a championship team.  He's achieved what Cousins ultimately is hoping for - you have to respect that.

Then he walks in the locker room and talks to Paul Pierce and KG.  Both of these guys are future hall of famers and legends within the league.  Both are in the record books and all time standings, and both have championship rings.

Then he talks to Rondo, a guy considered by some as being the best PG in the league (without a doubt top 5). 

Suddenly he feel choked up.  Suddenly when he's talking to all of these people, being surrounded by all of this greatness, he starts to feel humbled.  He realises right now that he has a LONG way to go. 

I'm not saying that this is what would happen because you can't predict human nature, but I can imagine myself in his situation and it would be VERY different being the best player on a horrible team with no tradition, versus being the 4th or 5th best player on a team that has made the second round of the playoffs (or better) every year since 2008.

At the end of the day as Doc once said, you cannot say no to talent.  If you have a chance to get talent, you take it.  Maybe it works out and maybe it doesn't, but you need to take that chance.

Either way, I LOVE the look of this sttarting lineup:

Cousins
Garnett
Pierce
Evans / Bradley
Rondo

As well as this bench:

Collins
Wilcox
Green
Evans / Bradley
Terry

Because Cousins is only young he could easilly play 36 minutes per game, so we'd only need Wilcox and Collins between them to give us 12 minutes max a night.

Green can now back up both Pierce (14 minutes) and KG (20 minutes) at both SF and PF positions.  This opens up about 30-34 minutes of playing time for Green, which is what many believe he really needs to be at his most effective.  I do honestly believe we could get about 15 and 5 from Green if he played those kind of minutes on a consistent basis.

At the guard positions it wouldn't really matter which combo we went.  If we started Rondo and Bradley we have one of the most dominant backcourts in the league (as we learned last year).  A starting backcourt of Rondo + Evans would be deadly too, and Evans has the size to defend larger SG's and some SF's nmuch like Pietrus did for us last season.   

On the bench both Terry and Evans are combo guards capable of backing up the PG spot or playing off the ball as volume scorers.  The other option would be Terry + Bradley which would give us an outstanding offense/defense combo on our second unit.  Personally I'd rather Bradley start because he has great chemistry with Rondo, but either works well.

You KNOW Doc has been hoping for a chance to pick up a capable PG so as much as this deal seems unlikely, I have little doubts that Danny would be trying to pursue it.  Either Evans or Isiah Thomas can man the PG spot which allows Bradley and Terry to play their natural role off the ball.

Certainly not holding my breath, but god I would love this move.  Cousins is a major upgrade over Sullinger, Evans is a major upgrade over Lee, Bass is redundant as it is, and any draft picks we have will be low ones in a weak draft.  There is no chance you would refuse this deal.

« Reply #63 on: December 25, 2012, 03:23:41 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Again, and I love repeating this one, nature vs. nurture. Cousin's nature is to be a head case most likely. No environment change is going to fix that. No veteran leadership is going to fix that. The only thing that can fix DeMarcus Cousins is a labotomy.

Exactly what people said about Blatche, and look at what he's doing in Brooklyn?

You never know what a change of scenery can do for a person, and when you are playing as badly as we are right now with an opporunity to gain a MAJOR increase in talent...you do NOT say no. 

« Reply #64 on: December 25, 2012, 03:34:49 AM »

Offline DarkAzcura

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 100
I wonder how many people here don't realize that Rondo could have turned into a DMC kind of player (attitude wise) on a bad team with a bad coach.

DMC probably hasn't had a coach who had the balls to not play him, sit him down, and say "do you realize no one likes to play with you?". Rondo got that his rookie year. DMC has been handed minutes on silver platter. He needs to be in an environment where winning matters and his coach/front office is actually respected. He needs to know he is on a tight leash. He won't feel that pressure in a place where he believes he is head hancho, best player ever, and smartest guy in the room. It may or may not help, but I think it could do wonders.

Like Rondo, Demarcus wants to win. He cares about basketball. His issue is that he thinks he is smarter than everyone else (like Rondo..but luckily for Rondo, he actually is smarter than most players). His way or the highway. I think this can be helped and is worth the risk. 

« Reply #65 on: December 25, 2012, 03:56:22 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

Pass.

Case reopen.

What does KG have to do with anything? Really? He isn't a magician. He isn't a psychologist. He's a basketball player. If you aren't going to respect your highly touted college coach.. And your high school coach why are you going to respect any player on the team? You're not.

Thank you for knowing all! I'm glad you can see the future! I don't need to reply anymore b/c I can see you already know what I'm going to say... have at it buddy.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #66 on: December 25, 2012, 06:14:24 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Exactly what people said about Blatche, and look at what he's doing in Brooklyn?

You never know what a change of scenery can do for a person, and when you are playing as badly as we are right now with an opporunity to gain a MAJOR increase in talent...you do NOT say no.

For every Blatche there are ten Michael Beasleys.

And we're not just talking about taking a flyer with minimal downside. These are discussions about trades in which the Celtics give up valuable assets.

Right now Cousins is on one of the worst teams in the league, and he makes that team worse by being on the court rather than off it. He's a mediocre offensive player, and a terrible defensive player.

Pass.

« Reply #67 on: December 25, 2012, 07:04:25 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I do not think he is mediocre as you suppose.  He is a good rebounder but I concede he is a poor shooter but strangely a good free throw shooter.  But 9.6 RPG a game is nothing to turn one's nose up at.  His ceiling is way higher than Perk's in terms of potential.   Whether he can man up and swallow his ego is another thing.   But he is an athletic 6'11' 270 pounder.   I think he has maturity issues.

« Reply #68 on: December 25, 2012, 07:15:09 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Be greatest Christmas present ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #69 on: December 25, 2012, 08:32:58 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

Lets not call Blatche a great success yet.  He's behaved for a 25 game span.  And he knows he's on a short leash.  I'm not impressed yet.

« Reply #70 on: December 25, 2012, 08:36:14 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I would rather have Cousins than Blatche.   One plays inside and is a real center and one is a PF who thinks he is a SF and shuns inside play.

« Reply #71 on: December 25, 2012, 08:37:17 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
The only thing that can fix DeMarcus Cousins is a labotomy.

lol, classic! tp

« Reply #72 on: December 25, 2012, 09:08:14 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Cousins would be great here!!! In Sacramento, he really has no one to show him the way. By that, i mean maturity on and off the court. Here, u have Doc, KG, PP, and alot of past players who can talk to him like Tommy.
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #73 on: December 25, 2012, 09:35:28 AM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Cousins would be great here!!! In Sacramento, he really has no one to show him the way. By that, i mean maturity on and off the court. Here, u have Doc, KG, PP, and alot of past players who can talk to him like Tommy.

The guy just argued with Clifford Ray at his first practice back from suspension, do you really think Tommy Heinson would get to him?

« Reply #74 on: December 25, 2012, 09:38:41 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

The guy just argued with Clifford Ray at his first practice back from suspension, do you really think Tommy Heinson would get to him?

Not sure if he would listen to Tommy, but you worded it as though Ray was the Hall of Famer.