Author Topic: Demarcus Cousins Suspended Indefinently should we take a chance?  (Read 22742 times)

Re: Demarcus Cousins Suspended Indefinently should we take a chance?
« Reply #105 on: December 24, 2012, 09:46:48 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
I love the guy, and would take him in a heart beat -

But I'm shocked how many seem to think he'd be a good fit w/ Rondo. I think they'd struggle, as I see them as two players you run your offense through. And not running through them means you're not getting the best of each player, which especially hurts Rondo who doesn't seem to have a 3 point shot, and I can't remember the last time I saw him catch & shoot.

« Reply #106 on: December 24, 2012, 10:47:42 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
what I find funny is how many people have said getting Cousins here and surrounding with vets (or working with KG) will straighten him out.  How many times did Danny bring in someone else's problems only to have them not work out:
Sheed: infected the team with the 'only the postseason matters' mentality
JO: not exactly a hustler on the court when he was here.
POB: dogged it bigtime

kid has talent but any thoughts that this team will straighten out his issues is unfounded speculation

« Reply #107 on: December 24, 2012, 11:14:57 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Um, Jermaine O'Neal has never had attitude problems. His problem was he was never healthy, and wasn't exactly able to play through this. Don't make things up.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #108 on: December 24, 2012, 11:48:31 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I'm going to have to defend Cousins here.  Keith Smart's coaching this year has been disastrous for the Kings. The problem with DMC being the guy to stand up to this inferior coach is that Cousins has no credibility because of his apst troubles. 
Bah! [dang] thing just ate my post. I hate it when that happens.

I had a long post agreeing 1000%.

From the sounds of what happened, I think the odds are strong that Keith Smart had a big role to play in Cousins' outburst. That he mishandled the situation and it led to this problem. That his man-management was poor and that he choose the wrong time to start in on Cousins. Especially given what was happening in that game. All the problems (effort related) other players on that team were having in that game.

And it's not a new thing for Smart. It's a continuation of problems he has had with Tyreke Evans and Steph Curry. So that is three young star players in about 2 full seasons that Smart has had issues with now. That he has had problems handling and developing adequately.

I don't think Smart is well-suited to teaching a young team like Sacramento. I thought the Kings made a terrible decision bringing him back last summer and I believe he is part of the problem there. As well as their front office + ownership + the worst constructed roster in the league that makes life extremely difficult for both Cousins and Tyreke; their two star talents.

« Reply #109 on: December 24, 2012, 11:58:22 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
what I find funny is how many people have said getting Cousins here and surrounding with vets (or working with KG) will straighten him out.  How many times did Danny bring in someone else's problems only to have them not work out:

kid has talent but any thoughts that this team will straighten out his issues is unfounded speculation

Lol. Well it kind of worked, getting within minutes of a championship. And I firmly believe we raise 18 in 2010 with Perk still there (or even 'Sheed good enough in the second half..... or getting Stern'd in the 4th).

But I see your point, this team has since been night and day in the regular season and playoffs.

Still, a guy like Cousins has such an overwhelming reward that he is worth the great risk. I believe Doc and Garnett could keep his ego/temper in check. And if his head gets straightened out, he could be the best center in the league.

I'd pretty much gut the team for him. AB, Green, Sully, Lee, Melo, picks, cash...anybody not named KG, Pierce, or Rondo.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #110 on: December 24, 2012, 12:16:22 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Um, Jermaine O'Neal has never had attitude problems. His problem was he was never healthy, and wasn't exactly able to play through this. Don't make things up.
he wasn't healthy and he didn't exactly push himself to get back on the court either.  to me, that's an issue.  I want a player that will play through the bumps and bruises.

« Reply #111 on: December 24, 2012, 12:21:09 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Lol. Well it kind of worked, getting within minutes of a championship. And I firmly believe we raise 18 in 2010 with Perk still there (or even 'Sheed good enough in the second half..... or getting Stern'd in the 4th).

But I see your point, this team has since been night and day in the regular season and playoffs.

Still, a guy like Cousins has such an overwhelming reward that he is worth the great risk. I believe Doc and Garnett could keep his ego/temper in check. And if his head gets straightened out, he could be the best center in the league.

I'd pretty much gut the team for him. AB, Green, Sully, Lee, Melo, picks, cash...anybody not named KG, Pierce, or Rondo.
I understand the attraction to his skillset and potential but I wouldn't gut the team for him.  still need to have some talent to put with him.  If I could, I'd keep Sully to go with him because I think they'd do well together.  Sully's got a complete game except for athleticism.  I think Cousins could help minimize that issue on D covering for Sully when it comes to rotations.  On O, Cousins supposedly is a decent passer (haven't seen it, just going off the input of others here) and that would work very well with Sully.

« Reply #112 on: December 24, 2012, 01:03:13 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
I'd maybe give up Sully/Green for him call it a dy. Maybe throw in Bradley.

I'm sorry this guy is a clown. He's always had problems and it will be years before he gets his stuff together. Fab and Sully are his age and both busting their humps to be on this teams. Cousins is a joke

« Reply #113 on: December 24, 2012, 01:42:33 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I'd maybe give up Sully/Green for him call it a dy. Maybe throw in Bradley.

I'm sorry this guy is a clown. He's always had problems and it will be years before he gets his stuff together. Fab and Sully are his age and both busting their humps to be on this teams. Cousins is a joke

Well, I'd love that have this 6-11 270 lb "joke" that has averaged 16 PPG and 9.6 RPG in 3 NBA seasons and is just 22. And bigs take longer to develop than other positions.

Just remember that if he didn't have his maturity issues he would be one of the most untouchable guys in the league. The only reason we can even dream of having this "clown" on our team for the next decade is because of it.

So I ask you the following, if he were able to mature and turn it around because he's flanked by our vets and coach, wouldn't the upside be incredible? That's the upside you're looking for. That's the kind of franchise changing player you seek. That's the reason you make a move for him.

« Reply #114 on: December 24, 2012, 02:04:38 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
I wish people would stop calling Cousins a savior and stop calling him a goat. The truth is he's probably somewhere inbetween. He's got a ton of potential and he plays the position that is most difficult to fill effectively. He's been on a bad team, in a bad organization and with other knuckleheads for 2 years.

That being said I won't trade Rondo for him. I just yesterday came to decide that I'd move Bradley for him, but that would be in lieu of pick(s).

If the Kings want to move Cousins we should be willing and judicious buyers. If they don't then we should look at a serious blockbuster:

Josh Smith
Pau Gasol
Amare Stoudemire

If those don't pan out we should try the next tier of big guys on the radar:

Marcin Gortat
Al Jefferson
Paul Millsap
Anderson Varejao

and if all of those efforts fail we should make a play for:

Robin Lopez
Larry Sanders
Jason Thompson

I personally think the Celtics should seriously consider the blockbuster to acquire Amare Stoudemire. Stoudemire would let Garnett play his natural PF position and Garnett would cover up some of Stoudemire's defensive deficiencies. His contract also expires with KGs so the Celtics could have insane cap space when they come off the books together (assuming neither is traded as an expiring). The reason I think this trade could pan out is that the Knicks are motivated sellers. We could possibly trade Green/Bass/Lee and a rookie for Amare/Brewer/Shumpert. We wouldn't have to trade all of our depth for talent necessarily.

My main point is that Cousins isn't the only target but he definitely should be one target. Let's not move Rondo or even assume that we have to move AB to improve our team. There are a lot of avenues and our players aren't chopped liver.

« Reply #115 on: December 24, 2012, 02:40:36 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
Hey would you guys trade Bradley, Sullinger and 2 unprotected 1st rounders for Cousins?

« Reply #116 on: December 24, 2012, 02:47:22 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Hey would you guys trade Bradley, Sullinger and 2 unprotected 1st rounders for Cousins?
I'd rather move a vet and/or Melo than both AB and Sully.  Melo basically becomes unnecessary with Cousins.  I'd also like to have at least a couple of young players that should continue to develop.  moving AB, Sully AND 2 1st rounders doesn't leave us with much in the way of cheap incoming talent that could be developed into rotation players.

« Reply #117 on: December 24, 2012, 02:50:56 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
After watching the game last night and comments from Kings people.  I don't think they will let him go yet .... at least ofr a reasonable deal that DA would go for.  DA loves bargain shopping.

I think its gonna take at least ONE MORE nice sized  Cousins screwup to get him traded .

Given the HEADACHE team and owners he plays for ...its gonna happen.

I still think , just like D HOWARD , the fans and owership are willing to tolerate way more of his awkward situations than alot of franchises would.

I'd say Danny is locked and loaded to dump Bass, Green , Lee, Collins  to get a nice Center.