Author Topic: Celtics are signing forward Jarvis Varnado  (Read 120983 times)

Re: Celtics are signing forward Jarvis Varnado
« Reply #90 on: December 25, 2012, 11:51:26 PM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.
JV is an athletic guy with a long wingspan who was the best shot blocker in NBA history.

He was? Then why was he in the D-league, if he was averaging 30-ish bpg?  ;)
I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #91 on: December 26, 2012, 12:29:47 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
JV is an athletic guy with a long wingspan who was the best shot blocker in NBA history.

we signed Bill Russell ?!?!

« Reply #92 on: December 26, 2012, 02:58:24 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Is this retarded or what....We NEED A SEVEN FOOT CENTER....to allow KG to play forward....we sign a 6'9" forward.....while our drafted center sits in the D league....let me tell you....a guy will only get as good as his competetion during his development....So bring MELO up and play him as a CENTER......Come on Doc...stop hating the big men..you don't have to wait 5 years to play him.....!!!

I'm with you, about giving Melo a shot. But i'm also with the celts org to know that one 14 block game doesn't mean suddenly he is then next coming of mutombo or even ready for the nba.

However he does have games where he does 3-5 blocks and 10 rebounds consistently over a 10 game span, and suddenly Danny won't be able to keep him down any longer. The offense is not important as defensive production

For some reason , i predict Danny and company think he will not be able to have 10 good games in a row down at the nbdl this year, thus Varnando pickup. He is at least progressing and has had one monster game under his belt.

« Reply #93 on: December 26, 2012, 03:11:03 AM »

fitzhickey

Lol I think he means NCAA

« Reply #94 on: December 26, 2012, 02:49:49 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213

Lol I think he means NCAA

Yes, or I'm channeling Tommy Heinson's future pronouncements the first time he sees JV swat a shot. 

« Reply #95 on: December 26, 2012, 02:59:26 PM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
This guy reminds me of a skinnier Joel Anthony.  I really liked him coming out of Mississippi State besides how skinny he was.  It looks like he's filled out a bit but he's still on the slight side.  I hope he gets an opportunity to play and can stick around because the Celtics could use another rebounder and shotblocker, obviously.

I was disappointed that the Heat drafted him because the last thing they needed at the time was an athletic front court player who concentrates on nothing else but rebounding and shotblocking.  I was sort of surprised he didn't stick around after biding his time in Europe but he's redundant with Joel Anthony on the roster and Anthony doesn't even play much anymore. As for why other teams haven't signed him, it seems like teams rarely make roster moves this early in the season.  They're loathed to cut a player this early before contracts are even guaranteed for the year unless a drastic need necessitates it.  I hope that's the case why Varnardo hadn't been signed.

« Reply #96 on: December 26, 2012, 04:14:37 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
This guy reminds me of a skinnier Joel Anthony.  I really liked him coming out of Mississippi State besides how skinny he was.  It looks like he's filled out a bit but he's still on the slight side.  I hope he gets an opportunity to play and can stick around because the Celtics could use another rebounder and shotblocker, obviously.

I was disappointed that the Heat drafted him because the last thing they needed at the time was an athletic front court player who concentrates on nothing else but rebounding and shotblocking.  I was sort of surprised he didn't stick around after biding his time in Europe but he's redundant with Joel Anthony on the roster and Anthony doesn't even play much anymore. As for why other teams haven't signed him, it seems like teams rarely make roster moves this early in the season.  They're loathed to cut a player this early before contracts are even guaranteed for the year unless a drastic need necessitates it.  I hope that's the case why Varnardo hadn't been signed.

Varnado was the better rebounder to Anthony in college by a fair margin - Anthony was always a weak rebounder.

Varnado's biggest problem (other than his minimal range offensively) has always been that he's a skinny 4/5 tweener. He's an easy mark for bigger guys posting up and  he's an easy blow-by for quick guys.  Couple that with iffy pick and roll defense and you can see why people passed on him even with his shot-blocking and rebounding credentials.

I'm optimistic though.  Stiemsma was a horrible post defender and a weak pick and roll defender to begin the year last year, but his shot-blocking was such an effective defensive deterrent that he got enough minutes to make progress in his areas of weakness.

I think Varnado is a similar caliber shot-blocker and a better rebounder than Steamer - give him some burn now and we might have a rotation quality back-up big man by the end of the season.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #97 on: December 26, 2012, 04:26:07 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
Is this retarded or what....We NEED A SEVEN FOOT CENTER....to allow KG to play forward....we sign a 6'9" forward.....while our drafted center sits in the D league....let me tell you....a guy will only get as good as his competetion during his development....So bring MELO up and play him as a CENTER......Come on Doc...stop hating the big men..you don't have to wait 5 years to play him.....!!!

I'm with you, about giving Melo a shot. But i'm also with the celts org to know that one 14 block game doesn't mean suddenly he is then next coming of mutombo or even ready for the nba.

However he does have games where he does 3-5 blocks and 10 rebounds consistently over a 10 game span, and suddenly Danny won't be able to keep him down any longer. The offense is not important as defensive production

For some reason , i predict Danny and company think he will not be able to have 10 good games in a row down at the nbdl this year, thus Varnando pickup. He is at least progressing and has had one monster game under his belt.
I agree with everything you wrote, except the last paragraph. I doubt Danny really knows...just knows that Melo isn't ready right now. Varnado is a poor-man's replacement for Wilcox (a thin PF who might play a little center) and a body to bring in when Bass is ineffective and Sully is in foul trouble.

Personally, I'd give Melo a 40/60 chance at getting consistently good enough to make it to the C's bench before the All Star break and a 50/50 chance to make it to the big team before the playoffs this year.

But what do I know. I thought Sully was going to be a bust and still don't see him as a starter caliber PF

« Reply #98 on: December 27, 2012, 06:08:08 AM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
Varnado is a poor-man's replacement for Wilcox (a thin PF who might play a little center) and a body to bring in when Bass is ineffective and Sully is in foul trouble.

A poor man's replacement for Wilcox?  Does such a someone exist?  I shudder at the thought.  Even at the risk of sounding foolish, I'm confident in saying that Varnado, because of his defensive abilities, is a better player than Wilcox who rates as one of the dumbest defensive minds in the game.  Wilcox makes some of the most headscratching mistakes on defense every game.  He has the tendency to help when he shouldn't help, in effect guarding nobody at all, leading to wide open baskets. 

I liked Varnado coming out of college and because I was excited the Celtics signed him, I've watched several of his D-League games, which I'm not too proud to admit, but what's been done has been done.  I saw a lot to be excited about.  He's a very good rebounder who blocks out, can jump and has strong hands to haul in the ball.  I'd describe his shotblocking as explosive.  His agility and awareness also makes his very well suited to defending pick and rolls. 

I'm going a step further with my like for Varnado and say that I wouldn't mind if he starts.  The defensive potential with him and KG on the court, with all their agility, their pick and roll defensive capability, rebounding and shotblocking would be really, really fun to watch and potentially very, very effective.  I'm drooling thinking about the possible rotations and rim protection.  The Celtics haven't had a real defensive partner next to KG since Perkins, although Collins has done a good job besides with his rebounding.  What I also like about Varnado is that he's a capable finisher.  He's not an offensive non-entity who makes the basket look like the size of a golf hole.

« Reply #99 on: December 27, 2012, 09:04:18 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Varnado is likely a better rebounder and shot blocker. If he can master the wide open dunk as his go-to offensive move, he may earn some minutes. But if he's getting pushed around on defense, those will be few and far between. We'll see. Can't hurt rolling the dice, good big men don't grow on trees (which is why they command exorbitant amounts on the open market).
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #100 on: December 27, 2012, 10:02:30 AM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
Seems like Sean Williams is the comprable... Skinny, short for a C, but OK for PF, longer wing span than his height would indicate, great jumping ability and timing on blocks for help. Doesn't know how to use athleticism as well in a man D. Could be Sean Williams right?

So maybe downside is Sean Williams and upside is Birdman. Not a bad 15th man - also keep in mind C's are near the hard cap, so they are very limited on who can be signed.

Let's say DA is working some trades that involve moving one or more of the guys getting minutes at PF (Sully, Bass, Wilcox, Green), plus maybe they feel this kid can play a better small C than Sully or Wilcox. So they bring him in now and get him ramped up on the system. If injuries hit they have someone ready to go. If a trade goes through they have a back up ready.

« Reply #101 on: December 27, 2012, 08:35:33 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......
Too bad we didn't have a center that we drafted...and playing well in the D league...oh wait, we do.....hmmmm..We do NOT need another forward....We need a center....too bad doc seems against any 7 footer we get...besides kg....who just tels doc how it is....!

« Reply #102 on: December 27, 2012, 08:47:23 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Too bad we didn't have a center that we drafted...and playing well in the D league...oh wait, we do.....hmmmm..We do NOT need another forward....We need a center....too bad doc seems against any 7 footer we get...besides kg....who just tels doc how it is....!

We need players who can defend, rebound, and protect the rim. Don't understand the fascination with positions.

« Reply #103 on: December 27, 2012, 09:03:38 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......
It isn't positions...but we aren't running 5 6 footers either....do you understand why we need a center....or any team for that matter...that might be the place to start here. See, kg is a forward, and plays better there....and we do not need him to play all over, like a center has to. Melo would be good for us...and as rondo is still reluctant to stay in front of his man....melo will end up fouling out, like steamer did..because after rondo...the big man is all that is left usually before the hoop. BUT..he is a shot blocker, rebounder..a shot blocker IS a good defender....they have a nose for the ball/play, and LIKES is..! A guy will NEVER get NBA level in the D league.....he will only be a good D leaguer. DOC needs to play him in the NBA.

« Reply #104 on: December 27, 2012, 10:23:21 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Seems like Sean Williams is the comprable... Skinny, short for a C, but OK for PF, longer wing span than his height would indicate, great jumping ability and timing on blocks for help. Doesn't know how to use athleticism as well in a man D. Could be Sean Williams right?

So maybe downside is Sean Williams and upside is Birdman. Not a bad 15th man - also keep in mind C's are near the hard cap, so they are very limited on who can be signed.

Let's say DA is working some trades that involve moving one or more of the guys getting minutes at PF (Sully, Bass, Wilcox, Green), plus maybe they feel this kid can play a better small C than Sully or Wilcox. So they bring him in now and get him ramped up on the system. If injuries hit they have someone ready to go. If a trade goes through they have a back up ready.

Williams was quite a bit more athletic than Varnado (that's why he got drafted in the first round and got so many chances), but Varnado's a better rebounder.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri