Author Topic: Celtics are signing forward Jarvis Varnado  (Read 120984 times)

Re: Celtics are signing forward Jarvis Varnado
« Reply #75 on: December 24, 2012, 05:38:23 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Just to clear a few things up:

Kid is now listed at 6' 10" and 235lbs. That's from his stint in Europe where he had solid numbers.
His wing span is 7' 4"
He's the all time leading shot blocker in NCAA history.
He can jump out of the gym. He's tough and physical.

I'd much rather roll the dice on this kid than an old bum who's gonna be injured for 75% of the time here while we pay them 1 million. This kid will cost peanuts on a non-guaranteed deal for the regular season.
If he does work out, he'll be another trade asset. Look how good Steimsma was as a role player after 25 games. Look at Greg Smith for Houston or Chris Copeland for New York.
These guys just need a chance.
Let's give it to him for $450,000.
Even if he's just there putting pressure on our roster in practice and threatening their roster spot with his defense, the least it will do is encourage them to play harder.

This now makes me think we are going after a serious big man, not just a rim protector, in any trades.

The trade winds are a coming. Can you hear them whistling across the shore?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 06:22:48 PM by chambers »
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #76 on: December 24, 2012, 06:44:24 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
waste of $
dat vets minimmum really gon break da bank for us huh bruh?

"itz not really gon break da bank bruh", but yous dont hafta spend loot fo' the sake of droppin' duckets

:-X smh

« Reply #77 on: December 24, 2012, 06:57:45 PM »

Offline OttawaCeltic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 19
waste of $

"itz not really gon break da bank bruh", but yous dont hafta spend loot fo' the sake of droppin' duckets

Thank God that I dont need to deal with this speech up here Canada.

Anyways, he is not a waste of $$$, he is a waste of a roster spot. But I should not speak too soon. I actually hope he pans out well with KG in the frontcourt & I wouldnt mind him playing a decent 10mins in the Christmas game.  ;D
Jameer an elite PG?Please, ask that to his garbage highlights.

PAUL PIERCE, NO!

« Reply #78 on: December 24, 2012, 06:59:42 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
waste of $

Thank God that I dont need to deal with this speech up here Canada.

lol..i dont speak like that, i was just responding :)

« Reply #79 on: December 24, 2012, 06:59:47 PM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
I read this thread quickly so apologies if I missed it but does anyone know the details of the contract? Is if a 10-day or a partially guaranteed or non-guaranteed?
I keep waiting for specifics to come out on that, too.  I would guess a couple of successive 10 day contracts to get them through until Wilcox comes back.  By then, Danny should figure out a way to trade for a center.

Teams can't sign players to 10-day contracts until January 5.  This is a contract for the rest of the regular season, although it doesn't necessarily have to be fully guaranteed.
Thanks

« Reply #80 on: December 24, 2012, 07:02:25 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 92

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 122
waste of $

look at u trynna stereotype how i type cuz i got my own style stop cryin Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. rofl

« Reply #81 on: December 24, 2012, 07:18:52 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Oh, so Danny has yet again wasted money and a roster spot on an utterly useless bum of a big who will never see playing time and who is too small to play center...because we don't apparently have enough undersized centers masquerading as Power Forwards.

Only way this is good news is of its for backup insurance at the PF spot due to an upcoming trade featuring Bass, who has been downright garbage this year with his 8 or so points and 5 or so rebounds. 

« Reply #82 on: December 24, 2012, 08:08:20 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
waste of $

look at u trynna stereotype how i type cuz i got my own style stop cryin **** rofl

« Reply #83 on: December 24, 2012, 08:09:44 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Imitating, not stereotyping.

« Reply #84 on: December 24, 2012, 08:23:55 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
steamboat lite

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #85 on: December 24, 2012, 09:01:00 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 92

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 122
Imitating, not stereotyping.
yea but half those words i wouldnt say so he failed lls

« Reply #86 on: December 24, 2012, 09:04:55 PM »

fitzhickey

Just to clear a few things up:

Kid is now listed at 6' 10" and 235lbs. That's from his stint in Europe where he had solid numbers.
His wing span is 7' 4"
He's the all time leading shot blocker in NCAA history.
He can jump out of the gym. He's tough and physical.

I'd much rather roll the dice on this kid than an old bum who's gonna be injured for 75% of the time here while we pay them 1 million. This kid will cost peanuts on a non-guaranteed deal for the regular season.
If he does work out, he'll be another trade asset. Look how good Steimsma was as a role player after 25 games. Look at Greg Smith for Houston or Chris Copeland for New York.
These guys just need a chance.
Let's give it to him for $450,000.
Even if he's just there putting pressure on our roster in practice and threatening their roster spot with his defense, the least it will do is encourage them to play harder.

This now makes me think we are going after a serious big man, not just a rim protector, in any trades.

The trade winds are a coming. Can you hear them whistling across the shore?
If he's packaged for some star, I wouldn't mind, but if the deal is rejected he might develop into something, maybe solid role player. He's only 24

« Reply #87 on: December 25, 2012, 06:49:21 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......
Is this retarded or what....We NEED A SEVEN FOOT CENTER....to allow KG to play forward....we sign a 6'9" forward.....while our drafted center sits in the D league....let me tell you....a guy will only get as good as his competetion during his development....So bring MELO up and play him as a CENTER......Come on Doc...stop hating the big men..you don't have to wait 5 years to play him.....!!!

« Reply #88 on: December 25, 2012, 10:49:47 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
Is this retarded or what....We NEED A SEVEN FOOT CENTER....to allow KG to play forward....we sign a 6'9" forward.....while our drafted center sits in the D league....let me tell you....a guy will only get as good as his competetion during his development....So bring MELO up and play him as a CENTER......Come on Doc...stop hating the big men..you don't have to wait 5 years to play him.....!!!

The Cs obviously feel that Melo isn't ready.  Why rush him and possible retard his development?  JV is an athletic guy with a long wingspan who was the best shot blocker in NBA history.  So what he isn't seven foot tall?

I'd like to see JV get some minutes to see what he can do as a defensively oriented 10th man type.  If anything, his presence on the roster will light a fire under the guys in front of him. Sullinger seemed pretty motivated against the Nets. 

« Reply #89 on: December 25, 2012, 10:53:44 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Sullinger is a rookie big man who Doc has been playing since day 1. Just saying.