Author Topic: Celtics are signing forward Jarvis Varnado  (Read 120987 times)

Re: Celtics are signing forward Jarvis Varnado
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2012, 11:46:13 AM »

Offline celtics2

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 42

Sounds like we can use his skills. Looking forward to see him protecting the rim.
[/quote]

Oh yes put the Banner up. If we can use his skills it shows how weak we really are. Another Cracker Box Toy. MMMmmmm, coolaid is good too. Keep em coming Danny.

« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2012, 12:01:03 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

Sounds like we can use his skills. Looking forward to see him protecting the rim.

Oh yes put the Banner up. If we can use his skills it shows how weak we really are. Another Cracker Box Toy. MMMmmmm, coolaid is good too. Keep em coming Danny.
[/quote]

We found a solid player in Stiemsma last year who helped us win a few games. Not hard to believe we can find another guy to help us for 10 minutes a game here and there.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2012, 12:32:30 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
I'm curious as to how soon Doc will give him a shot at some playing time.

« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2012, 12:32:42 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
As long as he doesn't take minutes away from Sully

« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2012, 12:38:44 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I'm just happy that Danny sees the desperate need for some bigs with height and length. Hopefully he does something about it via trade before the deadline.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 12:43:57 PM by ManUp »

« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2012, 12:45:08 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I'm curious as to how soon Doc will give him a shot at some playing time.
They are fairly short-handed without Wilcox (and Darko and Fab Melo in the D-League). I would expect Varnado to get a chance fairly quickly.

« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2012, 01:07:20 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
I read this thread quickly so apologies if I missed it but does anyone know the details of the contract? Is if a 10-day or a partially guaranteed or non-guaranteed?

« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2012, 01:23:05 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I don't know much about this guy other than a few scouting reports and some youtube videos. 

I can't wait to see him playing as a Celtic.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2012, 01:23:43 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGACVsZfvSM&feature=player_embedded

''Bill Russell's smiling somewhere in this great country." Hahahahahahaha!!!!!!

If this kid gets any burn and translate a few blocks, Tommy is going to rave about his Russell-esque nature for blocking shots just after they leave a players hand. Tommy loves that sort of thing.
Um....he didn't do that.  He sent it back as the guy was dunking it.

Tommy's point is that you're 1000 times more likely to get called for a foul when you're swatting at the ball/wrist/forearm while it's still under the guy's control and he can move it, as opposed to swatting at the ball/air.

If you really watched Stiemsma and saw the way he blocks the majority of shots, you'd know it really is different than most of the shot blockers in the NBA.

Um.. Hold the horses back. I was making a general statement. Tommy will undoubtedly compare him to Russell if he blocks a few shots in the NBA. But it's Tommy, so that's ok.

« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2012, 01:34:48 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Sounds a little like Chris Johnson, who came to Boston via the d league as well.

Last year Stiemsma and Hollins were able to play very alongside Garnett as a defensive big. I think they give him an opportunity to play right away and he ends up being another gem like the previous two mentioned.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #55 on: December 24, 2012, 01:39:15 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGACVsZfvSM&feature=player_embedded

''Bill Russell's smiling somewhere in this great country." Hahahahahahaha!!!!!!

If this kid gets any burn and translate a few blocks, Tommy is going to rave about his Russell-esque nature for blocking shots just after they leave a players hand. Tommy loves that sort of thing.
Um....he didn't do that.  He sent it back as the guy was dunking it.

Tommy's point is that you're 1000 times more likely to get called for a foul when you're swatting at the ball/wrist/forearm while it's still under the guy's control and he can move it, as opposed to swatting at the ball/air.

If you really watched Stiemsma and saw the way he blocks the majority of shots, you'd know it really is different than most of the shot blockers in the NBA.

Um.. Hold the horses back. I was making a general statement. Tommy will undoubtedly compare him to Russell if he blocks a few shots in the NBA. But it's Tommy, so that's ok.
Well that a ridiculous thing to say.  Especially considering Tommy never compared Stiemsma to Bill Russell.  He never even compared him as a shot blocker or defender.  He said he blocks shots LIKE Bill Russell, he was comparing the WAY he blocked shots.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #56 on: December 24, 2012, 01:48:24 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
I watched some of him in college.

I don't think he'll help us.  He's a weakside help defender, and that's really all he gives you.  Not an offensive threat, not a good man defender.  He's not strong enough to deal with centers without help, and even many PF's will overpower him in the post. 

On the positive side, he has tremendous length, solid athleticism and great timing.  He'll even block jumpshots on the perimeter from time to time when asked to switch.  I just don't think it's enough - he doesn't do enough other things well. 

« Reply #57 on: December 24, 2012, 02:16:38 PM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
I read this thread quickly so apologies if I missed it but does anyone know the details of the contract? Is if a 10-day or a partially guaranteed or non-guaranteed?
I keep waiting for specifics to come out on that, too.  I would guess a couple of successive 10 day contracts to get them through until Wilcox comes back.  By then, Danny should figure out a way to trade for a center.

« Reply #58 on: December 24, 2012, 02:54:50 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
varnado is the answer to a championship.

High school or D-League?

« Reply #59 on: December 24, 2012, 03:07:14 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
He has to make pretty much an instant impact when called upon, or will get buried into the bench until wilcox comesback or melo is called up.

I hope since getting cut by the heat , he has gained 5 to 10 pounds of muscle. He is 225 and should be 240

Basically the Celts have picked up a hybrid of JJJ and John Henson. Has ridiculous wingspan like henson but narrow shoulders like jjj. Like a John Henson light without as much skill, narrow shoulders but on the positive two years of pro experience under his belt.

I can see why danny got him vs some other big man avail in the nbdl. Its the speed Doc needs on the court to make the defense click. If Varnado can give kg 5 minute breathers each quarter, and be a presence on the defensive end ,everything else will be a bonus.

I can already see him getting tommy points praise, with his long arms getting us difficult tip ins, or running the floor hard and dunking a long rondo pass.