Author Topic: Celtics are signing forward Jarvis Varnado  (Read 120981 times)

Re: Celtics are signing forward Jarvis Varnado
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2012, 01:07:04 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
These are college highlights of dude he looks like a hell of a shotblocker i mean we could use dis when KG comes out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=TiUU-RcE_2g

One word STVTTR - send the video to the refs - you do not want them calling cheap fouls on this guy

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2012, 01:08:01 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Always was impressed with him in college .. different game here in the NBA, but he should do well in a Doc Rivers, defense-oriented system. We'll see how the chemistry matches up, but I feel pretty positive about this.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2012, 01:15:08 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
I see he was last listed at basically JaJuan Johnson size. I don't like the sounds of that for someone trying to play PF.

I'm curious to know why Miami waived him and then he opted for the D-League. I'm assuming he was getting more money in Europe. I could see him being your classic second round sleeper ala Milsap, though. Being an NCAA leader in anything is impressive.

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2012, 01:16:52 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Always was impressed with him in college .. different game here in the NBA, but he should do well in a Doc Rivers, defense-oriented system. We'll see how the chemistry matches up, but I feel pretty positive about this.
The only thing is he won't get that opportunity sadly  >:(
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2012, 01:20:12 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Word aapp!

D-Leaguers don't usually get a chance in anyone's system. But at least this year Doc is playing a rookie. Even if its less minutes than he needs, it's still better than none.

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2012, 01:21:59 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I think this kid will actually get some burn.
Wilcox is out and Collins is starting with KG, leaving Sully, Bass and this guy for minutes.
He's a rim protector and although he's not built like an NBA player he has serious hops. Incredible timing and will operate much like Wilcox and Hollins.
Give him a chance while we're playing at .500 and see how he goes.
I guess they'll call up this kid and fab as back up PF and C.

Trade winds are a coming boys....can you hear the whistle of the wind?
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2012, 01:24:52 AM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGACVsZfvSM&feature=player_embedded

''Bill Russell's smiling somewhere in this great country." Hahahahahahaha!!!!!!
I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2012, 01:30:25 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Word aapp!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGACVsZfvSM&feature=player_embedded

''Bill Russell's smiling somewhere in this great country." Hahahahahahaha!!!!!!

If this kid gets any burn and translate a few blocks, Tommy is going to rave about his Russell-esque nature for blocking shots just after they leave a players hand. Tommy loves that sort of thing.

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2012, 01:31:00 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
This has more upside than signing a declining veteran who might be toast.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2012, 01:35:55 AM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2012, 02:07:38 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
He will be the 15th player on the squad. He is 6' 10" so he has height, which the celtics need. What's not to like really.

He looks skinny so I don't know if he can box out, but he does jump well and has incredible timing.

Not sure he can play under the basket due to being thin, but he is worth a try. If he ,looks good in practice doc will give him some playing time.

Maybe he can be this season's steisma. I wish him luck.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2012, 02:08:33 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Yea well Steimsma got a chance last year so there's that, hopefully Doc throws him out there
D-Leaguers don't usually get a chance in anyone's system. But at least this year Doc is playing a rookie. Even if its less minutes than he needs, it's still better than none.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2012, 02:50:06 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
what if... he's the next Hakeem.

lol jk.

Looks like he's one of the best players in the D-League.  Top 10.  Right up there in Efficiency with Shelvin Mack (of our Red Claws) who apparently was just signed by the Wizards.  Varnado is leading the D-league in blocks.  Cool.  Stinksma 2.0.

Will he fill out the Red Claws roster?  He and Fab Melo along with Chris Wright and Micha Down... Formidable Children's league roster, baby!  lol
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 03:00:18 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2012, 03:16:39 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
danny is going for stiemsma 2.0

« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2012, 03:33:09 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Could give this guy some serious time if !@$*# hits the fan and we are looking terrible come playoff time, and no trades are made.
He'll be an extra piece to send in a multi-player package for a decent big in the new season.

We need a rim protector and there's no reason why this guy couldn't come in and contribute fairly quickly. He's played pro ball in the physical euro league and was a record holder in NCAA. Plenty of experience and will have one job- protect the basket.

Good to see he's grown an inch since being drafted too.

"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.