Author Topic: Fab Melo tonight  (Read 6720 times)

Re: Fab Melo tonight
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2012, 12:29:32 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He won't do it as much against NBA guys who are the cream of the crop.  He is really raw but does have defensive talent.

« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2012, 12:42:03 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Okay, is it possible to block 14 shots (*cough* 15) while altering like another 50? I swear, it seemed like Melo altered at least one shot every other time down. That man was everywhere!

If he wasn't in HOGLeague he would had about 25pts too b/c he was WIDE open a lot but they RARELY passed to him. He would have had 40pts playing with RR b/c he was out there rolling them to death but never got the ball from those chuckers! He didn't force any shots, the ones he did miss were too hard off the glass but that hook is looking like found money! I found myself begging them to get him the ball, I know it's easier to see open guys when you're not in the game but FAB was wide open so often that Stevie Wonder couldn't miss him! Stupid DLeague guards just chucking away all the time! Fab is being hurt offensively by them (heck, defensively too as when he helps off they act like they don't know to check his man... guy can only do so much)! I don't hate DLeague but I surely can do without these coaches acting like they can't reign these guards in, I mean why LET them keep tossing junk up when you got a big (who is having the best game of his life), rolling WIDE open to the hoop???

His rebounding tonight was spot on and he boxed out pretty good too... he even got his hands on quite a few tips that just didn't go our way.

His stat line tells of a great game but if you actually focus on Melo, it was even better than those stats say, as hard as that is to believe!

Agree 100%... I watch just the play around him ... like DHoward , Melo is fast and tall , he can go after alot of balls that people think they can shoot over him.   He makes the other team work for harder shots( like what is happening to the Celtics now) our buckets are too hard to earn .

Mello makes a difference being big and quick playing in the paint. He is very ACTIVE , and is TIRELESS !!! That is so important in the NBA.  He can run the court.

By seasons end , I'm thinking 4 P/8 R /4B  is possible especially against the BUCKS. And he will negate some of the opponets size advantages.

So , if Danny just don't go trade dat boy. :)

« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2012, 12:45:12 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
He won't do it as much against NBA guys who are the cream of the crop.  He is really raw but does have defensive talent.

he does have great defensive talent. Watching him in the summer leagues, he has really good footwork and definitely able to stay in front of his man and can get up there. The problem with his shot blocking during the summer was, his timing was always off. If he can get his timing better, he could definitely be a great defensive player for the celtics long term!

« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2012, 12:48:29 PM »

Offline peachbucket

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 1
That video clip up above isn't very persuasive. Fab Melo looks out of control on many of those defensive possessions. He just playing against lousy competition so he is getting with it because he is bigger and more athletic than everyone.

I still think the D-League is the wrong place for a big man like Fab Melo. Learning things that won't work at an NBA level. Building bad habits.

Completely disagree.  This is much better competition than he faced in Syracuse.  All of these are borderline NBA players.  Most of these blocks were on help defense where he came out of absolutely nowhere and wasn't even on the shooters radar.  It's not like he got a fingertip on the ball either, as the majority of his blocks were definitive spikes.  As far as his offensive moves, that may not translate for a while...but who cares.   His role with the Celtics will be to protect the rim and rebound...anything he gives you offensively is gravy.

« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2012, 01:16:44 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
One game, people. Good grief.

This guy is not the answer this season, and he may not be useful ever.

Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2012, 01:35:37 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

One spectacular game that could've told us that he can contribute to the team already. He may not be the answer completely, but he could be part of a solution that will eventually solve our problems. He's looking really good, and I he can translate that in the big league, we have a gem.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2012, 01:47:15 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213

As a coach, you must be quite a motivator.

« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2012, 01:54:19 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
I just watched the block party video.  Are these D league guys idiots?  They kept taking the ball to Melo, even though he was spiking their shots out of bounds. 

How about pulling up for a mid-range shot, D League scrub?

« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2012, 01:59:54 PM »

Offline Sec22

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 4
I just watched the block party video.  Are these D league guys idiots?  They kept taking the ball to Melo, even though he was spiking their shots out of bounds. 

How about pulling up for a mid-range shot, D League scrub?

How many Brazilian steak dinners did it cost him?

« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2012, 02:13:47 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Here's a cut and paste from the other silly Fab Melo thread:

"He hasn't played anywhere near that well so far.  He's been like the 10th best player on that D-League roster.  They have like 5 guys averaging 20 points.  Lol.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/maine/statistics/

Before anyone gets too excitable, it should be pointed out that Melo is merely averaging 7 points, 5 rebounds and 2 blocks in a children's league.  There's about 90 players outperforming him in that league so far."

Ok contrarian we get it. 14 blocks is 14 blocks. you know how many Sullinger has for the year? 13. What about Wilcox? 9
How many blocks do Wilcox and SUlly have in the d-league?

How many blocks does Fab Melo have in the NBA?

You can't compare the two.  One is the best talent in the world and the other is a Children's league.

« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2012, 02:20:12 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Here's a cut and paste from the other silly Fab Melo thread:

"He hasn't played anywhere near that well so far.  He's been like the 10th best player on that D-League roster.  They have like 5 guys averaging 20 points.  Lol.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/maine/statistics/

Before anyone gets too excitable, it should be pointed out that Melo is merely averaging 7 points, 5 rebounds and 2 blocks in a children's league.  There's about 90 players outperforming him in that league so far."

Ok contrarian we get it. 14 blocks is 14 blocks. you know how many Sullinger has for the year? 13. What about Wilcox? 9
How many blocks do Wilcox and SUlly have in the d-league?

How many blocks does Fab Melo have in the NBA?

You can't compare the two.  One is the best talent in the world and the other is a Children's league.

« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2012, 02:46:29 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Yep, it was b/c he was bigger than everyone, yea that's it  ::)... FAB is the tallest DLeaguer EVER! Yep, it's b/c they weren't taking enough jumpers, that's it...

You guys will try to downplay anything this guy does b/c it's the DLEAGUE but if it was as easy to do then why did he beat the league record all time by 3 blocks? Was he the only guy ever that was one of the taller players on the court? Just makes no sense!

It took Stiems to age 27 to even make an NBA team for real and all he could do was block shots! Are you seriously saying that Melo couldn't do the same? Get outta here!!! The guy at least has as much instinct for swatting balls as Stiems did and he is only 22! So get out my sight with the negativity!

Edit: Stiems only full season of DLeague action stats

09-10 45 games averages: 28 mins, FG% 54, 82% FTs, 7rbs, 1 assist, .7 Stls, 3.6 blocks, 9pts

Fab Melo
12-13 9 game averages: 24 mins, FG% 50, 50% FTs, 6rbs, .2 assist, .4 Stls, 3.3blocks, 8pts

In 4 more minutes per game Stiems has only a slight advantage in everything except for FT% where he obviously was/is miles better than Fab (well, I couldn't find Stiems' first 9 game averages so yea 45 games to 9 is kinda weird but w/e)!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 03:20:17 PM by ImShakHeIsShaq »
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)