Author Topic: Knicks want to give Amare away...so does Boston consider him  (Read 2616 times)

Knicks want to give Amare away...so does Boston consider him
« on: December 22, 2012, 08:13:08 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
If Boston is ready to write off the season on January 15th, does that mean they might be willing to make a play for Amare.  Sure his contract is huge and he has some injury concerns, but Boston pretty much has to go all in or just throw in the towel and get rid of everybody.  Since NY wants to get rid of him a team could probably get some other assets as well.

Something like this would work

Green, Bass, Lee, Joseph, Wilcox

for

Amare, Shumpert, Brewer, 2013 1st, 2015 1st

With one of the extra roster spots Boston could sign K-Mart as extra insurance.

New lineup
PG - Rondo, Shumpert
SG - Bradley, Terry, Barbosa
SF - Pierce, Brewer
PF - Amare, Sullinger, Martin
C - Garnett, Collins

Clearly a big risk for the Celtics, but if Amare gets healthy, I would fee a lot better about Boston's chances of winning a title with that lineup than what they currently have.  Shumpert also provides a real legit backup PG and has size to where he could play with any of the other short guards. 

Joseph and Wilcox had to be included to get Shumpert back (for cap purposes).  I would have preferred to keep them, but they are worth trading for Shumpert. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Knicks want to give Amare away...so does Boston consider him
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 08:16:14 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Yeah, that's not going to happen.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 08:17:27 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
No chance NY trades us Amare and Shumpert for that package, not even close.

Also, I think there is some law of physics that states that Shumpert and Bradley cannot be in the same place at the same time, ever.

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 08:45:32 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......
GETTING Amare would be good.....but we cannot give up really anyone....No way give bradley..Wilcox maybe...and Bass, I'd do that..but no more......

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 08:47:26 PM »

fitzhickey

That won't happen, taking their prospect, injury prone but good player, nd brewer for role players. Sadly they wouldn't agree

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 09:09:18 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
no way Shump is on their trading block.

I'd love to have A'mare in green, especially for how little the Knicks want, but he's owed so much money I can't see us going after him.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 09:25:57 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
he has the same issue as Gasol ..a stupidly big contract for what he can provide today.

Lakers and Knicks need to "SUFFER" some more with these bad contracts.
No reason for the Celtics to be part of this out for two major opponents.

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 09:28:42 PM »

Offline Mr Green

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
I'd love to have A'mare in green, especially for how little the Knicks want, but he's owed so much money I can't see us going after him.

I heard this morning that Amare's contract has two years and $45 million remaining on it ... ouch, that's a lot of moolah!

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 09:46:09 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
For those saying NY wouldn't do this, I'm confused.  NY tried to give Amare away in the summer.  As in actually give him away without getting anything for him and no one would take him.  That says to me they wanted to get out from under his contract this summer before they started off so well without him.  They don't want Amare anywhere near that team, but the only way they will get rid of him is to give up some pieces to do it. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2012, 11:33:14 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

As risky a move as it would be, I'd gladly trade Green/Bass/Lee.  It's not as if we have anything to lose.  I'd prefer a less risky move, but would do this one if was the best/only available.

Amare's contract isn't really that terrible for the C's.  They have no money to spend for the next couple years anyway.

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2012, 12:08:11 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Yeah, that's not going to happen.

This.

No chance NY trades us Amare and Shumpert for that package, not even close.

Also, I think there is some law of physics that states that Shumpert and Bradley cannot be in the same place at the same time, ever.

And this.

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2012, 12:59:27 AM »

Offline kg is king

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
  • KG IS THE KING
GETTING Amare would be good.....but we cannot give up really anyone....No way give bradley..Wilcox maybe...and Bass, I'd do that..but no more......
And no one really wants our average at best players either. No deal.
"I'm from the bottom, I understand what it's like to have and to not have. My perception on giving is to put yourself in those people's shoes and go from there. So that's what I did. " - The One and Only KG

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2012, 01:47:33 AM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
I think all of the guys posting that the Knicks wouldn't move Shumpert to move Amare are kidding themselves. They would love to get out of (by almost any metric) the worst contract in the league that hasn't been amnestied. I know that fans don't really understand but an uninsured contract is pretty much like plague from an ownership standpoint.

Which is why Wyc would probably never let this trade happen. Risking your future to win now is one thing. Risking your future to win and failing while losing $45M over 2 years is something else completely. Large market teams like the Knicks and Lakers can do more of that than smaller markets can because of the TV deals and huge merchandising. They just flat out make more money.

Also, and I don't mean to belittle this thread at all, but I posted this first here. Specifically the bit about Shumpert and Brewer being involved.

So while I think Dolan might listen to an offer that nets him good players for good players while shedding Amare's contract I'm not sure the C's would ever offer.

I'm way more interested in moving Green/Bass/Lee/Sully for a Gasol/Clark/Ebanks/Sacre. I think STAT is pretty good but Gasol is better in just about every way. He's also not into punching glass things during the playoffs which is a big plus in my book.