Author Topic: Four realistic trading partners: Cavs, Jazz, Hawks, Wolves  (Read 3897 times)

Four realistic trading partners: Cavs, Jazz, Hawks, Wolves
« on: December 22, 2012, 03:45:23 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
We ideally need inside presence and it would be nice to grab a backup pg. Rondo is playing too many mins, Terry is def not a pg and barbosa does not know how to pass the ball.

To Cavs: Sully, Melo, Bass, Lee, 1st round pick
To Celts: Varejao, Gibson (2013 UFA), Casspi

Summary: Cavs are in rebuilding mode right now. Varejao, Gibson and Casspi (who has been a healthy scratch a few games now) , while good players don't do much for the team. A team that won't be good until 2 to 3 years later.  You might as well get back assets before losing guys like Varejao and Gibson for nothing. And though Varejao is not a FA for a few years, his salary is going to he hard on the teams payroll , plus it takes away min for the other young guys to gain experience.  For the Celtics this trade would be huge. We finally get the inside presence we haven't had since Perk and we all know about what Gibson could do come playoffs. He is also a decent backup point, def better than Terry or Barbosa.

Bottom line: This trade would make us an instant contender in the East again. The chances of this trade happening though are not in the celts favor. Cavs prob can get better in return from someone else. It would likely take Bradley in the mix, and the celts are not likely to give him up right now.

To Hawks: Bass, Sully, Melo, Lee, 1st round pick
To Celtics: (all 2013 UFA's) Josh Smith, Devin Harris, Pachulia

Comment: The Hawks will definitely trade Smith come trade deadline. He already stated to them , he won't resign, is Rondo's best friend and loves the celtics fans. This also is bad for hawks, in terms of turning off other potential trading partners and getting the best in return. For the celts a Smith and Rondo duo would be potentially amazing. Night after night of fastbreak highlight reel dunks. Also Devin Harris and Pachulia would be tremendous addition to the bench. Harris would take a load off Rondo as the 2nd string pg and Pachulia would be a huge upgrade to Collins as the teams C. The problem is, Smith and Kg play the same game and roam around the perimeter more. On top of that Smith prob wanting near max extension next year, may really handicap the celts payroll. 

Bottom line: For the Hawks if this is all or the best they could get back, its not too shabby. Don't think it would disturb what they are doing now, plus they get younger get a future 1st round pick and no more stress about losing Smith for nothing. For the celts, even though there are questions of how Doc would utilize Smith and Kg upfront and also how the celts could afford him for years to come, i do love this trade.  Especially if everything clicks, it would be small ball to perfection. Some say why not wait and just get smith free next year, but then you still have to shave off the payroll somehow to sign him. 

To Jazz: Green, Sully, Lee and 1st round pick
To Celtics: Al Jefferson, Earl Watson and 2nd round pick

Summary: Don't get me wrong, i love AL but i have concerns of how he would help us defensively. He has def upped his game since we had him, but also there are injury worries and big salary demands to worry about starting next year. He would definitely make big impacts in terms of helping us score and rebounding.  We might turn into a team that wins by outscoring opponents. Jazz do this trade bc they have promising players ready to step in. Rumor is Jefferson is gone for sure via trade deadline, but they want to try to keep Millsap.

Bottom line: Many Celtic fans have voiced that , instead of big Al, the rather have Millsap. Millsap is just as good offensively , rebounding and plays better defense. But i have a feeling Utah will not let him go so easily. It might take Bradley, to entice them and again celts won't include him in any deals imo. The worry about Jefferson is that ,anywhere he has gone , teams have gone nowhere. He plays center but bc of defensive shortcomings , causes issues of how to setup a lineup. Maybe it won't be an issue, when you have a defensive minded PF in kg playing along your side. I don't know it's hard to say.

To wolves: Melo, Lee and 2nd round pick
To celtics: Stiemsma, Alexey Shved pick

Summary: This would be a desperation trade by the celts. If bradley comesback, we are still getting killed inside and we cannot make a significant trade, like the two mentioned above, this trade would be good for the Celts. But you would have to give a little more than you want to bc the wolves really don't need to give up Stiemmer nor a young promising pg in Shved.  The pros for them to make the trade would be shaving off salary to prepare to resign Pekovic and with Rubio back, would have too many pg's.

Bottom line: easier trade to execute. Stiemer has not been part of the wolves rotation so far and i don't see this changing. Wolves have have too much depth up front. If Stiemer cameback it will be like he never left and would fit right in. Would be a big upgrade to collins, especially his ability to block shots, better footspeed , ability to make a jump shot and better at rebounding. It would be like getting a duncan in the lineup in comparison. Shved would take a load off Rondo as the 2nd unit pg and has a nice shooting touch.

Even with Bradley coming back, i predict one of these trades to occur. With the cavs and jazz trades less likely to occur. Also the trade with the Hawks doesn't have to happen , bc many feel Smith will come onto our laps for free next year anyways. If Danny doesn't want to give up Sully, Melo and a 1st round pick , than he will just wait for Smith instead.  All in all worse case, celts should get a decent centre and Stiemsma is no doubt the best choice. He knows the system and played well with KG. Doc likes him.   
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 03:58:54 PM by triboy16f »

Re: Four realistic trading partners: Cavs, Jazz, Hawks, Wolves
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 03:49:41 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I don't think Danny is going to be able to get Varejao, Big Al or Josh Smith.

Stiemsma is a realistic target but I think you'd need to drop Alexey Shved from the trade. He is highly regarded there and I don't see them giving up Shved for what we'd be offering there.

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 03:51:29 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I'm sure the Cavs will get more for Varejao. The Hawks are doing much better than us at the moment, they may want to stick with Josh Smith and make a playoff run. If not, they will get better offers than that for Smith. There is no reason for the Twolves to trade Shved. He's on a rookie deal and playing great for them. Their coach called him the SG of the future for their team. A Shved-Rubio backourt to go along with Love and Pekovic is their foundation. With AK47 back, they have a legit shot at a deep playoff run.

That leaves the Jazz. Big Al is not a good fit for us. He's a poor defender and would bog down our offense. I also think the Jazz can get more than that offer for him and if we really want him, we would have to give up Bradley.

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 04:08:58 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Good point about Shved. No need for the wolves to trade him. Just thought bc he is more of a pg and with Rubio back they have three now he could be had.

For varajao definitely it may take Bradley in the mix but not for Big Al. I don't think alot of teams will be knocking on utah's door for him. Or least giving up significant assets. My proposal would be more than enough. But i don't think Danny will do it, bc of the "fit" reason

Josh Smith could be had for sexier prospects but again which team will want to give up equivalent worth when they are not sure he will sign with them??  Celtics have an inside advantage

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 04:31:52 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Going after Gortat makes a lot of sense too.  Don't forget that one. 

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 04:37:55 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

I agree. But there is really no need for the suns to give him up this year when he is FA at the end of next year. They are still contending for a playoff spot and rather use him than have sully and melo instead. He is also playing well right now

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 04:56:31 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

I agree. But there is really no need for the suns to give him up this year when he is FA at the end of next year. They are still contending for a playoff spot and rather use him than have sully and melo instead. He is also playing well right now

The Suns are 11-15 right now with really no hope of anything in their future. I am not an enormous Gortat fan, but I think they will be happy to trade him if the right deal comes along.

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 06:01:36 PM »

Offline Smutzy#9

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Gortat looks good on a bad team where the last few seasons he was a first or second option..... here he would be a 3-4 option depending on who is on the court at any one time. For some odd reason i just dont see Gortat as the guy thats going to turn this all around.

Varejao is a big man that we can really use and suit us better. A Varejao Sully (if its possible) front court would be scrapping for boards like its the playoffs every game.

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 08:03:36 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Gortat looks good on a bad team where the last few seasons he was a first or second option..... here he would be a 3-4 option depending on who is on the court at any one time. For some odd reason i just dont see Gortat as the guy thats going to turn this all around.

Varejao is a big man that we can really use and suit us better. A Varejao Sully (if its possible) front court would be scrapping for boards like its the playoffs every game.

Unfortunately , sully would have to be included for us to even have a chance to get Varejao.

Varejao would seriously be awesome for us. He would do all the dirty work underneath the basket , scoring tommy points all over the  place. If we can get him without giving up Bradley, i'm all for it.

I also agree with you that Gorat might not be the guy who can turn this around. Especially bc defensively he is just mediocre.  I still remember last year when Cousins absolutely torched him with that 41 point game
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 08:08:51 PM by triboy16f »

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 01:50:41 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Per my proposal

If cavs trade was executed

Starters - Varajao , KG, Pierce, Bradley, Rondo
Bench -  Green, Casspi, Gibson, Terry, Varnado, Collins

If Hawks trade was executed

Starters - KG, Smith, Pierce, Bradley, Rondo
Bench - Green, Pachulia, Harris, Terry, Varnado, Collins

my cavs or hawks trade would be really help out right about now. It was disgusting to watch the clippers big man take it to our team. Because of the worries to tame Griffin, Jordan etc. Crawford and Barnes were having a field day on the perimeter.

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 02:28:22 AM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
I don't think we can afford Varejao.  I like Josh Smith well enough, but we need a center, not another small PF.  The Jazz deal leaves us with no backup SF (don't say Joseph), although I'd consider other deals involving Jefferson.  I don't want Stiemsma for the role that we need him to fill.

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 02:56:46 AM »

Offline European NBA fan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
 Cavs: Sully, Melo and Bass to a team that already have Zeller, Thompson and Samuels? They would probably rather want Green than Bass, and send Samuels the other way. The problem with Varejao is his injuries, it's really a gamble to go for him. Besides that, I think his numbers are a bit inflated this season, because the Cleveland offense is not very effective, and he gets a lot of offensive rebounds. That's obviousy not a bad thing, but he shouldn't be able to keep that up with a good team.

Hawks: They are the 3rd best team in the east right now. Why would they give up their best player to a competing team? And I don't believe that he won't stay with them. That was before the Joe Johnson trade, and a lot has changed since then. Even if he decides to leave, they will probably get something in a sign-and-trade.

Jazz: There is no denying that Utah has an overcrowded front court, and could use some help in the back court. However, as far as I can tell, they seem to like Big Al better than Millsap right now. Probably because it's easier to find versatile, undersized big men than a genuine low post threat like Al. Al and Favors was actually their best big man lineup in last season's playoff. Anyway, I would love to get either Al or Millsap.

T'Wolves: As has been mentioned, they probably don't want to give up Shved, who could be a great shooting guard. The Timberwolves are competing for the playoff spots 5-8, and the only reason for them to trade Stiemsma for Melo is, if they believe that Fab is better. I would rather give Melo a chance here in Boston.