Author Topic: Red Claws vs Mad Ants: Fab looks great  (Read 5238 times)

Red Claws vs Mad Ants: Fab looks great
« on: December 22, 2012, 10:15:08 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
Watched the game "cover to cover", mostly focusing on the Fab Melo bits. Offensively a lot more polished and rebounding well (in my opinion, might be wrong, might be self-deception after my C's hitting 500 again).

First, rebounding. Looks a lot better grabbing rebounds (two hands, boxing out and more assertive in grabbing them). 6 rebounds in 21 minutes.

Has a right hand hook now apparently (one in the first quarter and another in the third. First one was on the highlights). My unofficial tally says he made 2/3.

Wowza. What looks like legit big man post moves in the 4th against a small defender (1:48:00 ish) but blotched the finish when the double team came. He looked scary when doing that.

Not scoring an insane amount but he prevented help defense with his sheer size under the basket. Don't think he's done that before.

TO's. I think some of the TO's were from bad passes while he was rolling to the hoop. One was from a fumbled offensive rebound (nice!). One or two were from double teams when the Ants had to go small also caused some of the TO's.

Was defending D-League first round pick Jajuan Johnson and was effective in stopping Jajuan when he was on the floor (I think Jajuan did most of his damage when Fab Melo was benched. Went a bit hot in the 3rd but I think Fab did a great job in effectively neutralizing someone who should apparently be an offensive force at this level).

Defends the pick and roll, stops wing penetration, hustles, closes out on rotations...he's a great team defender. Hustled! A lot! Almost prevented a transition bucket with 3 guys already down the floor! Insane!(1:53:30)

Highlights:
http://www.nba.com/dleague/video/2012/12/21/highlightsfwnmne122112bm2t-2334187/index.html

Full game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dS_hzsxLUEI
He played half of the first quarter (start from the start), the second quarter (around 37 minutes in) and the start of the 3rd (around 1:16:00 ish) and the 4th (1:46:00)

Re: Red Claws vs Mad Ants: Fab looks great
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 11:02:29 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
If he closes out on rotations, that's great. Everything else is pretty much gravy (i.e. wasn't a major concern to begin with).
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 11:46:05 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
if he can get comfortable with the C's defensive scheme, I would call him up if Im the celtics..he cant be worse than hollins, wilcox etc. in defense

Stiemsma was essentially a rookie and played well for us

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 12:39:19 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I wanted to call him up already.

I understand the rotation thing but the thing that we are forgetting is Fab is a fast learner. While its true that he's a long ways to get, a 2-3 minute a quarter game where he gets real NBA experience is valuable for his development. He improved drastically in one year, it's safe to say he can pick things up. And the way the C's communicate on defense, he'll have a ton o support. And if, IF, he's not up to the rotations just yet, at worst, he'll challenge every shot that comes to him. We could use that.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 12:39:55 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I wanted to call him up already.

I understand the rotation thing but the thing that we are forgetting is Fab is a fast learner. While its true that he's a long ways to get, a 2-3 minute a quarter game where he gets real NBA experience is valuable for his development. He improved drastically in one year, it's safe to say he can pick things up. And the way the C's communicate on defense, he'll have a ton o support. And if, IF, he's not up to the rotations just yet, at worst, he'll challenge every shot that comes to him. We could use that.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 12:56:13 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
He look pretty slow and raw
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 01:26:59 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
It would be horrible for Fab's growth to put him in an NBA game before March. Treat him like an MLB prospect with nice power but still doesn't understand how to read a pitcher. September call ups for Melo MAYBE... but no way is he ready to contribute this season.

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 02:20:55 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
Love fab, hope we can land an impact big with out giving him up.

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 09:14:22 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Melo looked raw , but he isn't slow .  He was very fast , when he looked like he knew what he wanted to do or reconized the situation why he is quick as  cat for a 7 footer.  He is slow to react or make a good decsion during the play.  That is inexperience.  He has 1/100 of Sully's basketball IQ.

Fab is very cautious,  he plays like he might hurt somebody , becasue he is so big.   He needs to use his size to postion himself better to claim rebounding space.  He doesn't understand how to ocupy certain areas and protect these spots so the rebound will be his.

Sully understands this , its beautiful to watch.   

Fab has alot of potiental.  So new and raw to NBA basketball.

If he ever figures out anticipation , where the ball will be and to go for the ball with no hestiation with reguard life or limb,  not worrying about clobbering anybody dumb enough to get in his way .  Then he'll be very useful. This type of reckless energy is what propels Noah, Varejao, Saunders, Manimal , all the rest... not being scard to go after the ball, just react and DO IT/

Fab plays too nice, NBA is not a nice persons sport,  he needs to be aggresive and go for the ball . 
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 09:19:55 PM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2012, 09:27:02 PM »

Offline joeb

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 13
15 PTs 16 Rebs 14 blks...WOW!!

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2012, 10:31:56 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Sup with that.  You picked a good game to watch "cover to cover".  He hasn't played anywhere near that well so far.  He's been like the 10th best player on that D-League roster.  They have like 5 guys averaging 20 points.  Lol.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/maine/statistics/

Before anyone gets too excitable, it should be pointed out that Melo is merely averaging 7 points, 5 rebounds and 2 blocks in a children's league.  There's about 90 players outperforming him in that league so far.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 10:38:23 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2012, 10:41:57 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Sup with that.  You picked a good game to watch "cover to cover".  He hasn't played anywhere near that well so far.  He's been like the 10th best player on that D-League roster.  They have like 5 guys averaging 20 points.  Lol.

Before anyone gets too excitable, it should be pointed out that Melo is merely averaging 7 points, 5 rebounds and 2 blocks in a children's league.  There's about 90 players outperforming him in that league so far.

Since u watch so frequently, which of the other guys has good potential? Break it down for us , please.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2012, 10:45:22 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Since u watch so frequently, which of the other guys has good potential? Break it down for us , please.
I don't watch the D-league.  Waste of time.  It would appear that Chris Wright and Micah Downs are having good seasons for the Red Claws, but who knows if either will ever sniff a minute in the NBA.

Chris Wright:  16 points, 9 rebounds, 2.4 steals, 1.6 blocks... super athletic.

Micah Downs:  20 points, 8 rebounds, 1.8 steals, 1.5 blocks ...

Looks like Shelvin Mack and Kris Joseph are also both averaging 20+ points. 

And that's just for the Red Claws. 

It would appear the LeBron James of the D-League is Chris Douglas Roberts.  Averaging 22.5 points, 5.3 rebounds, 4.5 assists, 1.9 steals while shooting 50%, 40% and 90% in 11 games.   Mavs just waived Fisher and called up Douglas Roberts.  He's already had 3 mediocre seasons in the NBA so we'll see what happens.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 10:55:37 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2012, 12:40:52 AM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649

On offense, the D-League is a guard's game.  Many big men aren't going to score well in that league, especially not one like Melo who can't really generate his own offense yet.  All of the guards are chucking up slop trying to get noticed.  It doesn't leave a ton of touches for a player who needs to be set up to score.

His rebounding on the season leaves a lot to be desired, but you have to be encouraged by that stat line.  That's monstrous.  14 blocks is a high school stat.  Hopefully it's a sign that he's learning during his time in Maine.  I don't expect him to help Boston this year, but there's a lot of potential there for the future.

EDIT:  Just from watching the highlights, I can kind of see why he was able to put up this stat line against this team.  None of the bigs on the other team made any effort to play him physically.  He was allowed to camp out on the glass, and nobody made an attempt to box him out.  When he established position on the block or on the glass, they didn't make much effort to battle him or fight him off.  The Bayhawks seem like an exceedingly soft team underneath. 

« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 12:56:10 AM by Atzar »