Author Topic: Rondo thinks the team will be different with Bradley back  (Read 9916 times)

Re: Rondo thinks the team will be different with Bradley back
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2012, 07:28:52 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
well, he will easily help our paint defense by the fact that guards wont be able to penetrate as much and KG/collins etc. WONT have to step out and help leaving their man open

this is what people dont get. it doesnt matter how good of a defender your big is if he has to leave his man to help every defensive trip

« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2012, 07:45:06 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
different yes, better...no

« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2012, 09:29:01 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
well, he will easily help our paint defense by the fact that guards wont be able to penetrate as much and KG/collins etc. WONT have to step out and help leaving their man open

this is what people dont get. it doesnt matter how good of a defender your big is if he has to leave his man to help every defensive trip
AB can get over picks like no one else too. That means less need to hedge for bigs. When we show on picks, guys like Boozer end up with dunks.

« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2012, 09:31:22 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Wallace, who had been serving as Tyson Chandler's backup at center, has missed the past four games, during which the Knicks have gone 2-2. With Wallace out, Chandler has been playing additional minutes. Not only is Wallace out, but Marcus Camby has plantar fasciitis.

Age may be catching up with the Knicks.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/8772600/new-york-knicks-list-rasheed-wallace-day-day-stress-reaction-foot-amare-stoudemire-out

I don't think the Knicks are too concerned at losing Wallace or Camby. They weren't expecting much more from those two other than to hold the fort until Amare returns, which is just about now.
Wallace can play defense, especially when Chandler is on the bench. Amare? The Knicks have been there before.

« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2012, 09:44:18 PM »

Offline Texstyles

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 44
For those of you guys who have 2K13 I am sure that you hear the comentator say this all the time.  Last year celtics were a 500 club at the all star break and decided change was needed.  That change was benching Allen and starting Bradley, they also moved KG to Center and started Bass at PF at around the same time.  Result the Celtics were the best D in the league for the 2nd half of the season.

That being said :
1. Doc has said interview after interview that when our D  gets better it will lead to better O. If we become the best D in the league last year why cant we now.
2. I remember an interview with Bradley last year where he was talking about using Allens pre-game prep routine to improve his shooting.  I think that showed last year in his jumper through out the year.  hopefully that is still the case.
3.  People constantly forget that coming out of High school this kid was the #1 ranked prospect ahead of Wall. That is pretty good.
4. I think the Collins starting thing is a glimpse of what to come. Not saying that he is the answer but i think the C's have realized that bass is not working out and want to move KG back to Pf.  I think from now until the trade Deadline this will mean a move for a Center. 

That is what I think Bradley will mean to this team and also agree with Rondo.  Yes I am a glass half full guy with this, and I hope I am right.

sorry if that was long

« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2012, 07:00:26 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

AB can get over picks like no one else too. That means less need to hedge for bigs. When we show on picks, guys like Boozer end up with dunks.

Let's not forget that Doc puts a ton of value on ball pressure, and we have probably the best on-ball defender in the league coming back in a few games.

« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2012, 12:08:48 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Rondo knows the opposing guards won't be blowing by him and crumbling our defense anymore.

We will still need a lot of players to start doing their jobs (Terry has been pretty bad 90% of the time, Lee 95%), but I do believe AB will change the identity of this team back to a defensive powerhouse.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2012, 12:26:22 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Rondo knows the opposing guards won't be blowing by him and crumbling our defense anymore.

We will still need a lot of players to start doing their jobs (Terry has been pretty bad 90% of the time, Lee 95%), but I do believe AB will change the identity of this team back to a defensive powerhouse.

That's a complete exageration.

For one, Lee is shooting a career high for us, and he's been doing his job this month (shooting over 50%). His 3-pointer is not all there yet, but it's been better than it was in the beginning of the year. His defense has been solid throughout, could be better, but it's not bad. It just is.

As for Terry, he's not shooting the ball well this month after having a very hot start to the season shooting wise. His defense is not good, but that was a foregone conclusion. It would help some, if Doc didn't keep playing him against player who he shouldn't be guarding in the first place (Monta Ellis), but he's in quite a slump offensively right now. That said, the role Doc has assigned for him is not the role we brought him here to do. He should be coming off the bench, not starting. Also, he's shooting in line with how he was shooting last season, but he's in the middle of a shooting slump right now, hopefully he gets it right again.

« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2012, 04:43:44 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Here's to hoping Danny can pulloff a trade for  BIG  guy  without having to give up Bradley .

Bradleys my fav Celtic next to KG ... :'(

« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2012, 05:09:46 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I had a thought early this morning, thought I would share it:

Why I think RR is saying this (is he AB's agent? lol)

1) It's true

2) B/c he doesn't want AB traded! When someone readily admits the things RR did, that means he truly believes the person is the Robin to his Batman... I mean, if I didn't know that was RR speaking I would think it was AB's mother! I really believe RR is trying to let it be known that he thinks AB is not only key to the team's success but for many reasons a key to his OWN success. RR threw himself under the bus to praise AB (he is literally saying what we can all clearly see, he has been terrible defensively)! No, he hasn't been terrible b/c he doesn't try but b/c of a few things... it takes a toll on his body, he tries to conserve energy for the way our offense is run through him, he plays too many minutes, and b/c that type of defense is just not what he is best at! People underestimates what AB does for the team and especially for our star pg... this is a message to not only truth but to the organization! RR didn't have to say all those things if he didn't feel AB was about to shipped for another piece (even though they are true), he needs a guy like AB to take the pressure off of him just as KG needs someone like Collins (but better)! I actually applaud RR for being so honest, wish more superstars would do it... he's not saying he isn't good enough, he is just saying how he needs others to help maximize his own skills!

I know people say AB has to be part of a package but I'm telling you, RR is letting it be known that he shouldn't be. Who knows if it will work but RR has made it clear to me that he values AB highly (I know others on the team speak well of AB but RR went above and beyond, to me anyway)!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #55 on: December 24, 2012, 07:24:12 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Your [dang] right we will be.

Bradley is easily our 4th most important player after KG, Pierce and Rondo.  He is part of thebackbone of this team.  Anyone who says otherwise either:

1. Hasn't seen the statistics or
2. Hasn't watched a game where Bradley played more than 7 minutes

If Danny trades him he MUST be fired.  Hell I think I'd rather trade Rondo than Bradley...

« Reply #56 on: December 25, 2012, 12:30:39 AM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
I think having Bradley in the lineup is a positive for the team on the defensive side of the ball, but i'm wondering what the perception will be if the team still plays bad basketball even after his return? Who do we pin our hopes on then? Relying on one guy to turn this team around makes me feel a bit uneasy. As bad as the team is on defense, i think the offense is just as bad to be honest. It's predictable, and all they do is shoot long jumpers. Even if the defense improves with Avery's return, the brand of offense that they play is not the kind of offense that can win championships IMO.

« Reply #57 on: December 25, 2012, 12:36:42 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I think having Bradley in the lineup is a positive for the team on the defensive side of the ball, but i'm wondering what the perception will be if the team still plays bad basketball even after his return? Who do we pin our hopes on then? Relying on one guy to turn this team around makes me feel a bit uneasy. As bad as the team is on defense, i think the offense is just as bad to be honest. It's predictable, and all they do is shoot long jumpers. Even if the defense improves with Avery's return, the brand of offense that they play is not the kind of offense that can win championships IMO.

It's pretty much the same offense he has been running (Doc)... the offense is fine and will click better when the rotations are set (with Jet coming off the bench alongside Lee)... we had not only one of the best defenses ever, with AB starting, we had one of the best offenses too (something I think people overlook b/c of the defense).
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #58 on: December 25, 2012, 04:42:04 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
So these guys are basically saying, if Bradley goes down again with another injury, our season is over, because he's basically the only hope we have. I don't like the sounds of that to be honest. The Bulls are still winning without their best player in Derrick Rose, but we cannot win without a role player like Bradley?

The difference is that Bradley is more important to us then Rose is to Chicago.

Chicago had so much success last year not because of their scoring, but because of their top 3 defense.  Rose is an average defender, so even with him out the bulls were STILL a top 3 defense.  Noah, Deng and the bench anchored that defense, and you could argue that any one of those components (Noah especially) was just as important as Rose.  This is why when Rose went down Chicago as a team didn't really get much worse, but when Noah AND Rose when down they crumbled.  Take away the offense and Chicago can still grind out wins, but take away their defense and they are nothing.

Derek Rose is (at the end of the day) just Monta Ellis on a large market team.  He's an undersized SG in a PG's body.  He's not a fantastic shooter but he's great at using his athleticism, ball handling and body control to drive and finish around the basket.  He's not a fantastic defender or a fantastic playmaker, but he's at times been forced to play PG simply due to his lack of size and his ability to handle the ball.  Still Ellis has averaged ~25PPG over much of his career, and he has pretty much always been the best player on his team.  If he played for a mass market team (like NY, Boston, Chicago or LA) with a top 4 record in their conference he would be a guaranteed All-Star and a regular MVP candidate. 

The moral of the story here is that Rose is grossly overrated.  He's a very good player but he's nowhere near as important to this Bulls team as people belive.  Put any volume scorer in his place and the Bulls would be the same team.

Moving on to Boston, and we have had a similar team philosophy - we are all about defense.  We have never been a great offensive team, but we have been successful as a team because we have consistently had a top 3 defense in the league.  Take away a key offensive player and we can still win with out defense, just like we did when Ray was out with injuries hurt last season.  However, take away one of our key defensive pieces (Bradley or Garnett) and we would struggle to make the playoffs simply because we dont have enough scoring power to overcome our weakened defense.

This is why Avery Bradley is not just important, but absolutely CRITICAL to this team.  When Ray went out last season, if Bradley never stepped up the way he did defensively we would never had had near the success we did.  We would have missed Ray's presence far more.  However because Bradley impacted on our defense so dramatically, out defense improved to the point where we were making up for the scoring we lost with Ray (and then some). 

Take away one of our key scorers and we can still grind out games, as long as our defense is at an elite (top 3) level - we proved this last year because our offense all season was horrendous.   For our defense to be at that level we need both KG and Bradley out there on the court.  But if we lose one of those two defenders and our defense drops outside the top 10, we simply do not have enough scoring power to offset that loss.  We can't simply outshoot opposing teams.  It probagly hurts us more to lose an elite defender (Bradley, KG) then it does to lose an elite offensive player (Rondo, Pierce).

At least that is my theory!

« Reply #59 on: December 25, 2012, 04:44:02 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
So these guys are basically saying, if Bradley goes down again with another injury, our season is over, because he's basically the only hope we have. I don't like the sounds of that to be honest. The Bulls are still winning without their best player in Derrick Rose, but we cannot win without a role player like Bradley?

Not over - at least not yet.  We may still make the playoffs without Bradley, but we would struggle to win a round and have next to no hope of winning a championship.

At last that's assuming we still had our current group and hadn't traded for some other elite gamechanger.